Western Trails (closed)

“So you’re a sucker for a damsel in distress?” Penny asked as he helped her into her saddle. “Give me some time and I’ll try my hardest to get into some trouble for you.” She said, laughing as he kicked Sudden into motion and her horse followed.

The sun was brutally hot that day, but she didn’t complain. John would stop when he needed to and she was almost dreaming of the moment that she could quench her thirst with a sip from the canteen.
 
It was around noon when they found the small trickle of water, he first allowed the horses to drink, settling into the shade of some rocks with their canteens, he did not stop long, giving the horses time to rest, from the lay of the rocks and outcroppings he knew that soon they would have to dismount and lead their horses, not only to spare them, but also for their own safety.

"You really make that old hat look six years younger."

He glanced sideways at her and smiled slightly
 
Penny took a long drink from her canteen, nearly sputtering on the water as John joked about his old hat. She looked at him, returning his smile as he glanced at her sideways.

“Did you just make a joke?” She asked, laughing softly. “Well, strike me dead. I think that John Denver just told me I was pretty.”

Leaning across the short distance between them, she moved his head until she could kiss him gently.
 
"Oh I did that last night, Pretty Penny."

He kissed her gently, surprised at how good it felt to share this moment with her, to have her close to him and to have her soft lips seeking his. The kiss lasted a long time, yet it did not grow in intensity, it was a kiss of companionship and a deep seated respect and care for each other.
 
As the kiss broke, Penny opened her eyes to look at John and she smiled warmly. Her hand reached up to stroke his cheek in a soothing gesture. It was a great comfort to have him there with her and she would thank her lucky stars every day that she was thrown into his path.

“Well, I suppose we should get up and going, huh?” She asked him, not wanting to move or break the moment.
 
He shook his head,

"A few more minutes, they will probably have another drink soon then we can head out."

He scanned the desert floor, their pursuers had not showed themselves yet, that meant that they still had a ways to go. He didn't feel like it, but if the pursuit carried on once they have reached the raise, he will be forced to kill the tracker. It was clearly their only means of escape from the posse.
 
Penny nodded, glancing in the direction that John kept looking in. Whatever he could see, she couldn’t. The thought that people were out there and she had no idea was frightening, but as long as she kept close to him, she was sure that things would be alright.

“Well, what do you suggest we do for another few minutes?” She asked, looking over at him with a smile.
 
He grinned,

"Talk. I'm usually without company, one does tend to miss conversation after a while."

Of course there was many other things that he could think of for them to do, but he wished to talk, he really enjoyed her company.
 
Penny laughed softly as John smiled at her and told her that he just wanted to talk. She looked at him as if he were the strangest man in the world. She most definitely loved him, but he was a very odd man.

“Talk. Alright then.” She said, tipping the hat back on her head, looking at him for a moment as she decided on what to talk about. “What’s your favorite kind of food?”
 
"Beef of course, a nicely fried steak, green beans and potatoes."

He ran a hand over the stubble on his jaw,

"A rather nice stew is not too bad with some freshly baked bread and coffee."

He looked at her,

"How about yourself? Surely a lady with your culinary skills have more refined taste than me?"
 
Penny laughed softly and shook her head, taking another drink from the canteen. “Not too different from me, I suppose. I enjoy a nice steak with green beans and potatoes too.”

“My mother taught me how to cook. My father was a traditional man who wanted meat and potatoes with every meal.” She explained to John, glancing at him from time to time as she talked. “When times got hard, she always provided for him. When they both died, it was the worst day of my life. I really miss her sometimes.”
 
He nodded,

"Losing your parents is one of the worst things to go through when you were close to them."

He took a sip from his canteen,

"Much different when you have no family that care about you, or who you have to care about."
 
“Well, you have at least someone who cares about you now.” She said with a smile, taking his hand and squeezing it tightly. “And I never want you to forget that, John. I’m here for you no matter what.”

Leaning over, Penny kissed his cheek gently, letting him know with a gentle motion that she wasn’t going anywhere. She was going to stick with him through thick and thin.
 
He smiled at her,

"Well then, will just hope that this gunslinger lives long enough to stick with you through the same thick and thin."

He patted her hand and got up, helping her to her feet as well, the horses was having their second helping of water,

"Alright, let's get going."
 
“I’ll make sure of it, John.” Penny said with a smile as he patted her hand and pulled her to her feet. “Because if you die, I’m going to be very cross.”

She laughed softly at the look that he gave her and she kissed his cheek one last time before she moved to gather her horse. Looking towards John, she noticed that he was still on foot and she looked towards the ridge that they would soon be climbing. She didn’t like the idea of guiding a horse across the rocky terrain, but she wouldn’t show him the fear that she felt.
 
He swung into Sudden's saddle,

"The moment it becomes too rocky we will lead them. They can pick their own way much easier than we can."

He nudged Sudden forward and the big horse started up the slope, his hoofs still dampened by sand, his gait strong and sure, John allowed him to pick his own way, the brute was not just fast, he was smart as well...well...most of the time.
 
Penny nodded and pulled herself into the saddle, following behind John and Sudden. “Do you think the posse will have to pass through this way too? Surely there’s a faster way to go.”
 
He shook his head,

"There is many trails up here, if they know exactly where we are going and they know the trails well then yes there is a better route to go, but they do not know and up on that rise we can make a stand if need be and if not, we can get a good head start and disappear."
 
“I know Seth is a vindictive bastard, but surely they won’t follow us across the border.” She says, pushing her horse to draw up closer behind Sudden. “I mean, there becomes a point when this is all madness, right?”
 
He glanced over at her, he smiled and nodded at the rise,

"Following us up there is madness, they will not know if I'm laying in wait with a rifle or not. That is why I'm heading for it, it gives you a good view and it's rather hard to sneak up on because it's elevated and bare."

He looked back over the barren landscape of the desert,

"Even following us this far proves that he wants you back something fierce. It also isn't unknown for a posse to follow people across a border."

He smiled grimly,

"One such posse found out that it's safer not to do it."
 
“Surely you don’t mean to hurt them all.” Penny said, the anxiety balling in her belly like a rock. She didn’t want anyone to get hurt on account of her, but the thought that he would kill them made her feel incredibly guilty.

“John, please tell me there’s another way to resolve this.” She said, watching him sitting on Sudden with a straight back. He never looked at her and she felt like she had her answers.
 
"I have no intent of hurting anybody Penny."

He squared his shoulders,

"If they keep following me and try to capture me, they will not get hurt. I will kill them."

He glanced over his shoulder at her,

"And since you are now basically under my protection, you fall under that same category. If Seth or his men come near you to try and harm you..."

He let his words hang
 
Penny was quiet after that, her face sullen as she let the threat behind those words sink in. She felt entirely responsible for the lives of those men chasing them. It was because of Seth that they were on their trail, but it was because of her that Seth had sent them. Still, she tried to swallow her anxiety and put on a cheerful face for John’s benefit. It couldn’t be easy for him either.

“Well, if there’s another way, I’m sure that you would consider it.” She said simply, letting the conversation end.
 
He grunted his agreement,

"I will."

A few yards further he dismounted, Sudden's hoofs making it clear that it was beginning to become too rocky for safety. He made sure that Penny got off of her horse as well and together they led their horses up the incline.
 
Penny slid off the saddle and took the reigns of her horse, following behind John and keeping an eye out for any dangers. She noticed the way that her horse stumbled from time to time on the loose rocks, struggling to find her footing. She was a bit frightened that the horse could go tumbling, but she was determined to keep going for John’s sake. He didn’t need someone who couldn’t handle their own.
 
Back
Top