Flashfic thread: Rotating themes

How many posts to change the topic?


  • Total voters
    54
Sweethearts 5

She paced the room, a parody of hope. A strange footfall, carefully placed. She was hoping her ritual would conjure him. Deliver him, back to her.

She paced, year after year, the lingerie floating back around her ankles, until she lost count of her footfall.

When is hope lost? Hope of the feel of sex, the joining surrender, the petit mort no more reborn?

He wondered and watched her. The odd rituals she enacted, so many years since her descent into dementia. He pressed against the barrier between them; no matter how he shouted she did not hear. She paced.
 
Sweethearts #6

She smiled, then read the card aloud.

"To my Sweetheart on Valentine's Day. Since the day we met, I have loved you. I love you more than ever today, and every day thereafter. You are my reason for being. All my love, Samuel."

She sighed and brushed away a tear. She read each card in the box. Christmas, New Years, Fourth of July, Easter, her birthday. Next was a photograph of a smiling young man in uniform standing before a helicopter.

Her eyes filled with tears when she touched the Purple Heart.

Closing the box, she went to cook dinner for a man she didn't love.

(100 words)
 
Sweethearts #7

The room darkened as the sun set, but she didn’t even notice. Anxious fingers twisted the diamond he gave her on their last day together.

Tears trickled down her cheeks while she sat by the telephone, waiting for it to ring. It was Valentine’s Day, surely, he would call, she thought as the hours slipped by.

Tired from the stress of the day, her eyelids fluttered shut.

Stuck halfway across the country, fighting in the war, he sent her a silent message. ‘Happy Valentine’s Day sweetheart, I love you.’

Dreaming, she heard his voice just as she knew she would.

(100 words)
 
Sweethearts 8

She woke up, expecting nothing as always. She had learned that not expecting anything made Valentine's Day hurt just a little less.

She was suprised then to see the card. A beautiful card that promised surprises.

She read it and then read it again and then went to begin her day. Throught the day, small surprises were found. She began to enjoy doing her daily routine as she never knew just what she was going to find or where it would be found.

By the time that the day ended, she couldn't contain her happiness. She was content.

(100 words)

<give a newbie a break. I know it's not that good>
 
Sweethearts 9

"Show ya mine, if ya show me yours."

"Alright, sure."

Bonnie stopped mid-plate as she caught the exchange between Henry and Karen. Oh god, not already. Bad enough the way her college-aged children acted, to think the younger ones were ready to start.

She put the plate back into the soapy water, then headed to the carport. "Henry? What are you doing?"

"Nothing, Mom."

She gave a small sigh and stepped outside. Bonnie looked in both directions; then, quietly, walked to the backyard and peeked at Henry and Karen.

They were sitting on the swing, each looking at the other's bunch of valentines.

Such little sweethearts.

Bonnie smiled.
-----
(100)


:cool:
 
Sweethearts #10

“What’s that, baby?”

Justin stared at the paper in Abigail’s hand and knew there was going to be trouble. He recognized the handwriting, though he wasn’t going to admit it.

“This is an anonymous letter that came today.”

“Oh, a prank then,” Justin said, still worried.

“It says you’ve been having an affair.”

“You believe it?”

“Can you prove it’s a lie, Justin?”

“Honey, trust me, you’re my only girl.”

“They sent pictures, Justin.”

“Baby, list—”

“No, sweetheart. Just get out.”

Alone that night, the coward’s letter at her side, Abigail knew her heart would never be the same.


(100 words)

Next topic -- Stars
 
Stars #1

Development of the Flannery-Zholkovsky Quantum Plasma Drive allowed 24th Century mankind to finally realize it's dream; voyaging to the stars. Unmanned probes powered by the drive had reached distant nebulas in a manner of weeks, now the first starship and it's crew would begin the journey.

With a thunderous roar, the great ship lifted from it's launch pad, achieved orbital velocity, engaged the drive and disappeared. Communication between the ship and Earth continued for years, then ceased. The ship and it's crew were presumed lost. A monument to their bravery was erected and in time they were forgotten.

When the ship finally returned, Earth was verdant with dense forests and grassy plains. The lands and the seas teemed with life, but of mankind there was no sign.The colonists from the stars chose to begin again. but not make the mistakes of their ancestors. This time they would get it right.

Somewhere, the Gods were laughing.

(I know it's over 100 words, but what the hell. Next?)
 
“I miss you, Jill.”

“You’ll be home before you know it, Mike.”

“I feel so alone, honey.”

“I’m always there with you.” Her voice was hypnotic through the phone lines. “See the stars, shining down on you? That’s me, watching over you.”

“Jill, baby, god I love you.”

“When you sleep at night, I’ll be right there, looking at you. All you have to do is gaze at the stars and smile at me.”

Mike glanced at his military uniform before staring at the sky. He imagined Jill in the twinkling stars as the bombs went off in the distance.


(100 words)
 
Stars 3

There are so many! So many that I cannot even see the darkness!

That thought fired through Benedicto's mind in a tenth of a heartbeat as he beheld naked space for the first time in his life. Never had he seen the stars without an atmosphere in the way; never had he considered the totality of the universe around him until faced with the enormous scope of all of creation. White stars, yellow stars, as well as blue, red, and orange, sparkling like the colored arcs of electricity from a spot welder. And among them swirled distant galaxies, spinning thousands of years in the past.

This is incredible! This is Heaven! How many worlds? How many races? How many wonders will I be--

The words froze in his mind, as his eyes crystallized and his lungs deflated. Before the cold, crushing grip of space destroyed him, Benedicto's last subconscious thought was a reminder that he should have learned Esperanto better, so that he would have been able to discern "Restroom" from "Airlock Exit."

;)
 
Last edited:
Stars 4

They stood on the hill, waiting, when the flickering began in the sky. The star had been growing in brightness over the weeks, so now, as the dawn broke over the desert, it blazed almost like a second sun.

"It's time," said the first.

"This one," the second cleared the cobwebs from his throat, "will he last?"

"Half as long as the one before him. Less than that if we don't hurry up." The third moved laboriously, brittle with age, and the other two helped him downhill.

Down, they rested in shade, eating and drinking for the first time since Greece. In the evening, they called up the horses and rode out west, carrying gold, frankincense, and myrrh.
 
Last edited:
stars (5)

Their first time, on the beach, Matt rode between her thighs. Laura received him, hard, beneath; she caught sight of the stars over his shoulder. They were glittering before her when she caught the wave and soared, spinning out in the warm darkness.

The second time, Laura crouched above, took him in. Her breasts were silhouetted against the stars. As she rose, before clasping him, Matt saw the bright pricks of light. She pressed, enveloped him. He was home, taken into dark space. In the black sky of his mind, a comet flashed, exploded.
 
"Mark my words, Jepp: Kepler can prove his theory when he pries these from my cold, dead fingers."

Tycho patted the stack of manuscripts, neatly ordered on his desk. "Thirty years of watching the stars, here. And not a thing I've missed. Tonight, at the banquet, I plan to say as much."

The dwarf looked at Tycho anxiously. Outside, behind Tycho's back, a shooting star had just flashed by, unseen.

Tycho adjusted his nose, the silver and gold prosthesis he wore for public appearances, grinned at Jepp, and was gone.

In his quarters, Johannes Kepler drained a small but lethal dosage of mercury into a vial. He sealed it with care, then put it into his pocket. He, too, was ready to go.
 
Last edited:
Stars 7

“That’s it, pump it,” Mack said, urging Marcy on.

“It’s so hard.”

“It has to be if you want to get anything out of it.”

Marcy moaned, pumping harder.

“Move your hand just a little bit higher. Now, go faster, Marcy, faster!”

Turning, she saw his muscular arms folded as he watched her. Grabbing the pump handle from its slot, she whacked him as hard as she could with it.

Mack fell to his knees, stars in his eyes from the wallop to his chest.

“You want any damn water, you pump it yourself,” she yelled, running into the cabin.

(100 words)

(It's corny, but it works)
 
Stars 8

"Starlight. Star bright. First star I see tonight."

She sat there, forty years later under a dark, starless sky and wondered where it had all gone.

She knew tomorrow night the stars would shine again, but where had her life gone. It only seemed a few years ago she was young and carefree. Now, she felt the world pressing down on her. Choking the very life from her.

She wondered if the stars were there, would it even make a difference. Would wishing make life any simpler? She knew it would not, but she could continue to hope.

Couldn't She?

(100)
 
Stars #9

“Why are we going up here Billy?”

“It’s a perfect place to see the stars, honey.”

“Are you sure?”

“I promise, Julie.”

Climbing up the hill, they came to the spot where he’d hid a blanket earlier. Spreading it out, he pulled her down with him.

Julie felt the heat from Billy’s hands on her breasts and moaned. Clothing disappeared in the dark as they explored each other. Dropping down onto his aching member, she drove them both over the edge. Long minutes later, she looked into his eyes.

“You’re right Billy. This is a perfect place to see stars.”

(100 words)
 
stars 10

His finger moved through the darkness; a galaxy appeared.
He swirled it, and a spiral nebula took shape and he thought of it festooned over the translucent stardust robe that barely hid her breasts. Poking the dark matter twice, he ignited the trifid nebula and a copy-- to dangle from her ears.

‘Handy fellow,’ she thought, ‘this demiurge.’ Smiled. The Totality of Being preoccupied her mind, not self-ornamenting. Her being, expanding form, took the shape of a corucscating ring around the Cosmos. “Expend all!” it bade him. He gathered his all; geysered his force—was received.

‘It is good.’

===

Next topic: falling
 
falling 1

Port jets fired and the craft slipped into entry position and began its shallow slide into the atmosphere. Instruments told the pilot the descent was well within safety parameters and he smiled at a job well done. There was a loud thunk from below and the craft juddered. Warnings lights winked on one after another and the sirens became deafening. The pilot tried desperately to bring controls back online. The craft began to yaw, another cracking sound, the science officer screamed and then nothing but silence.

The ashened face crew emerged from the trainer to a chorus of “April Fools!”

(100)
 
Last edited:
#2 Falling

Nigel clutched his oxygen mask. Another hundred meters and he'd be at the summit. He shivered as gusts of snow whirled around him. The others has retreated to base camp, but he had pressed on. The glory would be his and his alone. He sank his ice axe into the frozen surface, inching forward toward his goal.

There was a loud crack and he was falling. He thudded into the outstretched arms of a huge white furred creature, then held between jutting breasts as blue eyes gazed benignly at him. "The gods have sent me a mate," purred the Abominable Snowwoman.

(100 words)
 
Falling #3

Stars lit up the summer sky, a never-ending display of twinkling lights. A slight breeze played with her hair, silky strands teasing her lips.

He brushed his fingers across her soft cheek, never once looking anywhere other than in her eyes. She was beautiful, and his heart thudded at the anticipation of making her his. The first tender kiss sent bolts of electricity though him. Waves of heat filled her as he pulled her close, his tongue meeting hers.

Above, unnoticed by either one, a falling star blazed across the sky.

It was the perfect night for falling in love.

(100 words)
 
Alex loved to run, then clamber up on boulders and jump. He had been warned against doing this, but a ten year old boy seldom heeds advice from his parents. He had seen something glinting and went to investigate. It was an odd vehicle, seemingly fragile and yet intact. He climbed into the seat, pulled a lever and it trundled slowly forward until jolting to a stop against a boulder.

"Alex! Dinners ready."

"Coming Mom."

He left his new toy and went running home.

"Have you been rock diving again young man? You have moon dust all over your suit."

"Aw Mom, I was just playin'."

(100 words...almost)
 
Falling #5

Massive tremors rumbled through the earth, rippling concrete and tumbling trees as it intensified. Buildings crumbled into piles of dust, their former beauty unrecognizable. Chaos reigned as those not crushed in the rubble tried to escape.

Spews of hot steam erupted from the cracked ground, cutting off paths and forming new danger. A cacophony of petrified screams echoed in the thick, dusty air.

A gigantic hole opened, and bodies crashed into others. Falling into the bowels of the earth, minds cleared of all previous activity, they formed a line to join the others in the eerie underground world before them.

(100 words)
 
Falling #6

Her thighs opened up like a pair of scissors as he plunged himself deep inside. She looked off to the side as his body was grinding on top of hers. She had to turn away while he did what he did. She couldn't look at his face. She could only see the crisp hundred dollar bill sitting on the night table. She had despised him for years, but when he made the offer she was desperate. She thought to herself, as he took what he had paid for, as he claimed his merchandise, 'How could I have fallen so low?'
(100 words)
 
Last edited:
Falling #7

The garden was in full bloom; bees were buzzing.

A perfect day. Vida looked about for someone to talk to.

That man had fallen back into his deep sleep.

A young fellow by the fruit tree eyed her. ‘Wanna know something, Baby?’

Subtle approach!. But she couldn’t resist: “You’ll teach me?”

"Let me guess your sign.” he winked, “Have this apple. Flavor’s to die for.”

He’s right.

She saw him pause, passing the point of his tongue over his lips.
"You’re so wise, see if you can narrow it down!”

“It’s a sign of the fall.”

“For sure!”

[98 words]
 
Last edited:
Back
Top