Are there dangers to Cervical dilation?

Slut_loves_pain

Experienced
Joined
Jan 22, 2004
Posts
55
I asked this in the sex & pain thread but noone wants to answer :'(
Has anyone checked with a doctor over whether cervix dilation is safe for people who would like to have children and what the chances are of an incompetant cervix??
I ask because I wouldnt mind trying but would like to have more children.
 
Check with a doctor. There used be a section on www.gloria-brame.com on the message board with a MD answering questions. I'm not sure if it's still there or not, but the web is wide and I am sure there is a search that can be had if you cannot ask a doctor face to face.
 
lark sparrow said:
Check with a doctor. There used be a section on www.gloria-brame.com on the message board with a MD answering questions. I'm not sure if it's still there or not, but the web is wide and I am sure there is a search that can be had if you cannot ask a doctor face to face.

I would have to say...you really should personally talk to a health care pro who has knowledge in this area....your gyno, a midwife, a friend who is a nurse. I think for me this one would require face to face learning about this subject, not online research (and only how i feel for myself personally) Im sure some not so pleasant things could happen if you didnt know what you were doing. Just my 2 pennies.
 
I completely agree! But if she's not going to... at least search the web for an actual doctor rather than asking whoever answers online.
 
lark sparrow said:
I completely agree! But if she's not going to... at least search the web for an actual doctor rather than asking whoever answers online.
True, some basic hard sound info from a decent site is better then nothing.
 
Yes lol I'll ring my midwife and go hey... I'm into BDSM and want to have my husband force himself deep inside me and dilate my cervix.
Your advice???

Sorry you all are right it is something you need to talk to a doctor about rather than rely on net information... but I was hoping someone here had talked to a doctor and could pass the info on.
 
Maybe someone has, I just wouldn't want you to rely on something a stranger said on the Internet for something medical that you take seriously. You could simply ask about dilation and effects... the further s/he pushes for details, the doctor, well, they have asked for it. It's a cliche but they have probably run into more uncommon things than we expect, and if not, as long as you are not putting yourself or family in danger by law, then it's simply their needed education in patient relations.
 
Where are Des and ADR when you need them? They might be able to answer this.... both being nurses and all..
 
Slut_loves_pain said:
Yes lol I'll ring my midwife and go hey... I'm into BDSM and want to have my husband force himself deep inside me and dilate my cervix.
Your advice???

Sorry you all are right it is something you need to talk to a doctor about rather than rely on net information... but I was hoping someone here had talked to a doctor and could pass the info on.

You should be able to ring your midwife and ask this, that is what she is for and should not judge. My midwife is aware of the lifestyle i live because on one of the 50 forms you fill out there is a question (at least where i live)...it asks "do you practice BDSM" this being because it is a doctor or midwifes responsibility to note marks on your body, laws where i live make it so they can report to police what they see. Id hate to think of you in the ER hemmoraging and explaining to said midwife that you are there because you were embarrassed to ask.
 
cellis said:
Where are Des and ADR when you need them? They might be able to answer this.... both being nurses and all..

Yes, there is danger in cervical dilation. The cervix is there for a reason... it's a doorway (best left closed until childbirth) and in a one way it aids in the protection of other internal, and delicate organs.

That is the short answer because I have an interview to go to. I am sure Des will have a better and more extensive answer to this. And I hope she adds it.

You should ask your healthcare provider for real advice instead as Lark put it "ask someone online."

Everyone have a nice day!

And I recommend you keep that door closed, if you want my opinion. ;-)
 
Slut_loves_pain said:
Yes lol I'll ring my midwife and go hey... I'm into BDSM and want to have my husband force himself deep inside me and dilate my cervix.
Your advice???

Sorry you all are right it is something you need to talk to a doctor about rather than rely on net information... but I was hoping someone here had talked to a doctor and could pass the info on.

Don't know about NZ but in Australia I have on occasion rung the hospital emergency room with questions which doctors have been only too happy to answer.

Catalina :rose:
 
I know that it can frequently cause bleeding, cramps, and something akin to menstrual cramps for the next couple of days afterward.
As far as long term consequences I do not know.
 
From a doctor

My hub/dom is a Board certified emergency physician.

His concerns are 2:
Infection: introduction of a sound (even if it is sterile) may cause and endometritis (uterus) infection. A common cause of female infertility is damage to the fallopian tubes from infection (chlamydia most commonly)

Repetative dilations could cause some problems with the competence of the cervix. Yet, obviously women may have several vaginal births without problem. When you look at their cervix, you can tell they have had babies.

So his conclusion? If done correctly (sterile techniques, good equipment, gentle, observe for abdomenal tenderness, fever in the following days) you might get away with it occasionally. Too much (which cannot be quantified exactly) is not a good thing. Also, a mulitparous woman (prior vaginal births) would be easier, and probably less likely to damage things.

Hope this helps.
Chastity_girl
 
Chastity_girl listed my concerns. Sorry ADR, I don't have anything else to add.
 
We all have a tendency to think our problems are unique/unusual/embarrassing/never been heard before/etc. That is not true. There are few things that your doctor, midwife or nurse have not heard at one time or another and in one form or another. And that which you discuss with your healtcare provider is confidential.

Don't ever hesitate to ask your physician for advice or counsel about absolutely anything that is troubling you or that have questions about.
 
I think Chastity's answer is good. I'd simply add. It's not that big a mystery or off the track problem.

Having worked in conjunction with an abortion clinic (as a lay counsellor) it's standard procedure to 'prep' the woman for a D and C (actually vacuum aspiration) through dilation of the cervix. Though it can be done in a hurry (with sounds), this is painful and risks tearing. So the standard procedure involves inserting one or more small (special) dry sticks in the cervix, the day before the procedure. These absorb moisture and gradually expand in the 12-24 hours before the procedure, dilating the cervix with usually little pain (such dilation, i'm guessing would be less than 1/2 inch).

The uterus is a sterile environment, so this opening is not healthy, per se. Further the fantasy seems to be to get the cervix open for the penis head, and in my lay opinion, that has a risk of infection.

As already stated, the cervix is *supposed* to be hard to open, to carry a pregnancy through. Common sense would indicate that one would NOT want it often pried open or becoming easily so.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top