Blood and Fire (Intrest/OCC)

swordandsandle

Literotica Guru
Joined
Jul 23, 2010
Posts
1,781
IC IS UP... but still open!

http://forum.literotica.com/showthread.php?p=41057993#post41057993



Notice: I would like to thank Light Ice for the basic idea.

Setting- The story will take place on the content of Westeros, main setting for George R R Martin's respected fantacy series A Song of Ice and Fire, as well as the HBO show, Game of Thrones. This will provide the backstory, culture, and NPC personalites. The game may stray into Eastros (The continent across the Narrow Sea), but only as part of the story the player characters create.

Zone of Focus- As in the early stages of the story, no major military conflicts are taking place (The War of the Five Kings is still a good way off), I would like this story to be somewhat more political and social in nature (A good way to lead to more... intimate moments.) However, occasional small-scale violence will not be unexpected. Geographically, I imagine a movement to several locations (characters typically meeting on another... some statements about destiny). My personal inclination is for the initial meeting to occur at King's Landing (After all, all Westros must occasionally pay homage to their king). However, assorted notable locations may be visited over the course of time.

Key Terms

Westros: The large continent which makes up the Seven Kingdoms. It holds a wild array of terrians and peoples.

map_of_westeros.jpg


The Seven Kingdoms: The term for Westros as a political unit. It is currently ruled by King Robert I of House Baratheon.

House: A political body, lead by a family of noble lineage and their retainers. They owe fealty to their king, the Leige Lord of their Realm, and any other Houses they may have bonds to. Members of a House are called Lords and Ladies.

Smallfolk: Westrosies with no noble background. Roughly relatable to peasents.

Realm: A larger politcal unit then a House, a Realm is a geographical region united under the rule of a Leige Lord. Example include The North, The Reach, The Riverlands, and Dorne. The Leige Lord commads the fealty of all Houses under his dominion, and in turn owes fealty directly to the King.

King's Landing: Capital of the Seven Kingdoms.

The Seven: The dominate faith of the Seven Kingdoms. Its leaders are called Septons and Septas. They beleive in Seven gods (or seven aspects of one god... the idea is a bit blurry). The Father (Justice and Masculine Traits), The Mother (Fertility and Femine Traits), The Crone (Wisdom), The Smith (Crafts and Creation), The Maiden (Love and Innocence), and the Warrior (Martial Prowness).

The Old Gods: A beleif strongly held in the North, who beleive in a good many gods that live in nature. Their place of worship is a Godswood; an old stand of trees or other natural place.

Maester: A learned man, skilled in the most complcated arts known to the Westrosie. They wear chains about their neck to show their mastery, and typically serve all nobles of some political note.

The Wall: The largest structure in Westros, the Wall is a great sheet of ice, extremely tall and thick, which marks the Kingdoms northern border. Behoyond are the Wildlings; people who live a life of anarchy, freedom, and violence. The Wall is guerded by the men of The Night's Watch; an order of old men and criminals now, but great once.


Houses that must exist (Will be manned by NPC's if not claimed)

House Stark -
Rulers of the North, set within Winterfell, the House Stark is the most isolated from King's Landing (approximately three months ride through desolate, difficult territory) and keepers of The Wall. The climate of The North is bitterly cold, even in summer, save for the narrow stretch of nearly impassable swampland that separates it from the rest of Kingdom.

The House Stark's emblem is the ferocious Dire Wolf and their religion is that of the Old Gods (the only Great House of the realm to follow such). They are considered ancestors of the First Men, born from the Age of Heroes, and are known as reserved people with a disdain for politics, a strict code of honor and duty, and fearless warriors.

The nobles from the realm are typically tall, dark-haired, and pale-eyed. They typically dress in leathers and furs and the men are seldom without sword.


House Arryn -
House Arryn of the Eyrie is the principal noble house in the Vale. Their main seat is the Eyrie, but they have many other holdings. Their sigil is a white moon-and-falcon on a sky-blue field, and their words are "As High as Honor." Their line dates back to the old Andal nation that invaded Westeros. Usually marrying other Andal nobles, House Arryn to this day has the purest line of Andal nobility.

Eyrie is a mountain city that can be reached only during certain seasons along treacherous roads. Wild Mountain Clans and Bandits frequent the passes, further complicating travel, making trips to and from Eyrie harrowing affairs. The Andal Knights, upon landing in the Vale, scaled the cliffs and defeated the First Men that held the city.

The nobles from the realm are typically brown haired and brown eyed, tall and proud.




House Baratheon -
House Baratheon of Storm's End is the principal house in the Stormlands. Its seat is Storm's End. Its sigil is a crowned black stag on a field of gold, and its words are "Ours is the Fury."

Baratheon was the youngest of the original great houses, tracing its descent from Orys Baratheon, one of Aegon I's fiercest generals, and rumored to be his bastard brother. Through the female line, the Baratheons are descended from the Storm Kings, as Orys slew Argilac the Arrogant, last of the Storm Kings, and married his daughter. Orys adopted the sigil and words of his wife's ancestral line. The line of the Storm Kings dates back to the Age of Heroes when their kingdom was founded by King Durran I "Godsgrief", a legendary hero. After the War of the Usurper, the house claimed the Iron Throne in King's Landing and the Isle of Dragonstone, with the support of House Stark, House Tully, House Arryn, and, eventually, House Lannister.

The attributes of the Noble house are not distinguishable by any true look. This, in itself, makes them distinguishable sometimes from the other houses.


House Tyrell - House Tyrell of Highgarden is the principal noble house in the Reach; many lesser houses are sworn to them. Their seat is at Highgarden, a castle near the Mander river. Their sigil is a golden rose on a green field, and their words are "Growing Strong."

The Tyrells trace their line of descent, through the female line, to the legendary Garth Greenhand, the first King of the Reach in the Age of Heroes. The Tyrells were stewards to House Gardener, the ancient ruling line of Kings of the Reach, who periodically intermarried with lower ranking houses of the Reach such as Tyrell or Florent. After House Gardener was extinguished in the War of Conquest, the Tyrells surrendered Highgarden to the Targaryens. For their service they were created lords paramount in the Reach and Wardens of the South.

Nobles of House Tyrell typically have curly brown, or reddish-brown hair, and are tall with strong features. They are fond of wearing beards.


House Lannister - House Lannister of Casterly Rock is the principal house of the Westerlands. Their principle seat is Casterly Rock. Their sigil is a golden lion on a field of crimson, and their words are "Hear Me Roar!" Their unofficial motto, just as well known, states, "A Lannister always pays his debts."

The Lannisters descend from Andal adventurers who married the daughters of the King of the Rock. The King himself descended from Lann the Clever, a legendary trickster from the Age of Heroes who tricked the Casterlys into giving him Casterly Rock. The Lannisters reigned as Kings of the Rock until the Targaryen conquest. The Lannisters surrendered and were allowed to remain the paramount lords of the westerlands.

During the Lordship of Tytos Lannister the House fell on hard times. Tytos' weakness allowed him to be bullied by his vassals. Eventually his son Tywin Lannister restored the house to it's former glory. The Lannisters are the richest family in the Seven Kingdoms, due in large part to the many gold mines under their control. House Lannister once possessed an ancestral Valyrian sword called Brightroar; but it has been lost.



House Greyjoy-
House Greyjoy is the principal noble house on the Iron Islands; many lesser ironborn houses are sworn to them. Their seat is at Pyke. Their sigil is a golden kraken on a black field, and their words are "We Do Not Sow."

The House descends from the legendary Grey King in the Age of Heroes. The Greyjoys became Lords Paramount of the Iron Isles after the Targaryen conquest, when Aegon I allowed the ironborn to choose who would have primacy over them. They chose Vickon Greyjoy and his line.

Known for their meager lands, the Iron Isles have historically been a great military power; taking from the mainland what they could not make themselves. However, after a failed rebellion, the Isles have had what little wealth and influnce they have reduced to rubble. Most members dream of rebuilding that greatness, and thus have adopted a more extreme attitude then might otherwise be deemed justified.


House Targaryen

Former Kings of the Seven Kingdoms, House Targaryen ruled the land for over 300 years, their reign established, as their arms and words say, with three dragons and "Blood and Fire". While a very noble family, extremely just as wise, they have now fallen quite far from grace; indeed, if any of their members where to be known to be hiding in the Seven Kingdoms, they would be cut down immediatly.

Their last king Aeryes II, "Mad King Aeryes", by many, was the most unstable of the lot, and his violent and extreme action is what drove several major Houses to declare open rebellion in what would be known as the War of the Ursaper. While they fought bravely, the Loyalists where doomed from the start by an inept commander, and after a long conflict, House Targaryen was presumably taken down to the last man. However, it is known that two of its younger members escaped, and are currently hiding in places unknown.



Themes

Dark World- Westros is not a land of black and white. Rarely, if ever, does one find a master of darkness or a paragon of virtue. Instead, most people have their good points and bad points, justifying their actions for any number of reasons. As such, things are rarely as they appear. This can result in some very difficult choices, and frequent dealings beween parties you'd never expect.

The Game of Thrones- For the noblity, virutally everything somehow can be seen as a matter of polotics. The happiness of their smallfolk, state of their lands, freindships, marriage; even peity is not exempt from the Game of Thrones. Nearly everybody in the upper classes is a part of it to some degree, fighting with coin or sword, speaking openly or flirting on the side. This leads to some intresting developments, especially in the case of partners, where a pairing can take place at a moment's notice.

Scandal- Scandal and secrets are everywhere. Indeed, it could be said that knowledge on your enemies is more valuble then a year's worth of gold. Most people have secrets they'd rather not have others know, especially those of a more personal nature. Of course, sharing this knowledge is the ultimate sign of trust, and in a world where real honor is hard to come by, having one good freind can mean the difference between a honor or a sword on your chest.
----
Sections to add

Themes- Building


Sample Character


Collaberative Think Tank



If intrested, please don't be afraid to post any ideas you may have. I am open to any suggestions.

Cannon characters MAY be accepted, but this is not preferable. Major personalities will still exist, of course, but feel free to tweek the makeup of certain families a bit if it suits you to play a major house with well-defined charcters.
 
Last edited:
Sample Character: Calyth Algarith of House Algarith

Only House up as of now. Personal in near future



House Algarith

Realm: The Crownlands. Therefore, reflexivly sworn to House Bartheon and King Robert. However, in all technicality, the family is still bound by blood oaths to House Targaryen, leading to a rather unpleasant political position.

Location: The southern regions of Crackleclaw Point

Arms: Purple Dragon, Guardant and statant, standing over a green doe, on a silver field (bronze chevron).

Motto: Blood of my Brothers, Blood of my Sisters.

At a Glance:

Defences: The seat of House Algarith, Brother's Arms, is a fairly well fortified location, located a few miles inland from Blackwater Bay. It is an old, grey stone keep, set into the cleft of a fair sized hill, with solid walls and a strong gate. It's twin towers, Left Arm and Right Arm, are in need of some work, but the outer wall has been refitted in the past season.

Influence: Minor. Algarith was a strong friend to House Targaryen for most of their reign, and once had a strong presence at both Dragonstone and King's Landing. However, since the war, they have felt a strong hit to their ability to politic, with their loyalty still in question.

Lands: The Algarith lands are fairly wide, fertile, and extremely hilly. While they don't have any mines worth speaking of, their farming and fishing go quite well. They also control one of the best ports on the Point, and so deal with the majority of sea trade coming into and out of the lands there.

Law: The Lords have always kept a strong grip on their lands; indeed, they are well known for their stability in the face of their chaotic neighbors. Things did slip a little, but have been recovering quickly.

Population: Strong.

Power: Ever since the war, the Algarith military forces; accepting their Elder Brothers unit (One of the oldest military organizations still operating in Westros, with no period of inexistence), have been cut, so as not to seem as a threat or future add to any dragons that might pop up.

Wealth: While extremely wealthy compared to their neighbors, Algarith lies within one of the poorer regions of Westros, and its standings reflect that. While not meager, the gold available to their lords and people are much less than a similar sized holding in better lands would allow. They also have a long, outstanding loan they plan on collecting.... nobody is quite sure who its too, but they know the influx of Dragons would be worth it.

Personalities

Lord: Baldwinn Algarith, Age 44

Lady: Currently none. The last Lady, Hellin, 5 years ago, of a bad case of Greyscale.

Heir: Ser Domen, Age 22. A well meaning man, with a good head, strong arm, and noble heart, but unable to grasp sublty.

Son: Acoylete Calyth, Age 19. Currently studying at the Alchemist Guild in King's Landing. A talented herbalist, with a very attractive presence and leading personality. Has heart issues that make any talent in swordplay (on indeed most other physical actives) an impossibility

Daughter: Tabith, Age 15. The pinnacle of old social graces. A lady in every sense of the term, she also shows the most of the family's Valyren blood.

Son: Aemon, Age 11. Currently serving as a page in Arryan lands. Very curious and energetic, but like his eldest brother also extremely blunt.

Daughter: Isabelle, Age 8. Very much a younger version of her sister, except that instead of seeking to attract and assist men, she's virtually mortified of them. Very fond of the color black... nobody is quite sure.


History: For a great long while, House Algarith had been a key force in the continued health of the Seven Kingdoms. Created by the first Andal king of the Vale for the leader of a troop of Old Valyrian (Pre-Imperial) mercenaries for their loyal service in the conquest, the Algarith where rewarded with choice lands on Blackwater Bay, far enough to the seat of their nominal overlords. From this base, they built a thriving port/shipyard known as Haven, and built up their wealth and influence from raising the finest sails on this side of the narrow sea and selling them out as sell-sails for houses with pirate troubles (especially those near the Iron Isles) and later to the Free Cities.

When the Targaryan Dynasty began to establish itself on Dragonstone, the Algarith where one of the first houses to recognize it, and build up solid relations with the Old Valyria they had left behind, bringing in a vast majority of immigrants who choose to come. Their wealth only continued to grow, as they got more and calls from the Gardeners and Lords of the Rock to defend their shores from Reavers, and the southern Stormland states in the skirmishes agenst the Dornish. As silver flowed into their coffers, they were able to buy out some of their less rich neighbors, and slowly their holdings, building up their fortress of Brother’s Arms as a testament to their power

The house went into an economic slump with the Doom of Valryia, trade taking a huge downturn and the western lords almost giving up on trying to stop the Iron Isles. However, a stroke of luck seemed to come when the Aegon the Conqueror landed in Blackwater Bay, prepared to conquer the Seven Kingdoms. Since they completely lacked a navy, Algarith rented them theirs at a cheap price, and as lands came under Targaryan control more and more wealth flowed to Haven, as ships coming out of there didn’t seem to get raided. For their loyal service, Aegon granted House Algarith the privilege of being to official coinage producer of the Seven Kingdoms, and with a commission coming in from each sack of dragons, stags, and pennies, the house grew richer until it was a power almost to its own right, holding unofficial leigehood over Crackleclaw Point.

Once the Iron Isles fell (with much help from the Algarith fleet), they sell-sail business went by the wayside, with only the occasional boats floating over to the Free Cities for some war or another. Instead, Algarith turned to building up the fleet for the Targaryan navy, and became one of the largest shipyards in the Seven Kingdoms, rumored to be surpassed only by The Arsenal in Bravvos. Stark supporters of House Targaryan, they continued to rise and grow for the next couple hundred years, until the fateful day The War of the Usurper began.

As a house loyal to the Dragonking, Algarith declared for Aeryes early on in the conflict, settings its sea power open upon White Harbor, Gulltown, and Storm’s End. Indeed, they were successful in nearly all their endeavors, the battles that Robert won on land spelled doom for the king. In the end, Algarith was forced to draw their fleet back home and plea for the best case they could.

The House has been on a slight decline ever since then, with their sails only needed during Greyjoy's Rebellion. Still, King Robert grudgingly accepted that Algarith must continue to produce the coin (though Lannisport was pressing for the privileges). Though they've cuddled up to the new king as much as they can, old blood dies hard, and if they Targaryans should return, it would be difficult to know which way they would turn.

Damihells' current objectives are to recover their good standing. To do so, they seek alliances with those they have been friends with before (Several Free Cities), those who are powerful (The North and The Reach), and those who admire their heritage (Very few remain, with the possible exception of the missing Targryan heirs. Should they arrive at the gates of Brother, they could easily gain amnesty). As the second son, it is Calyth’s job to make those alliances. Will he be able to? Perhaps Algarith can convince House Bartheon that Crackleclaw point needs a real leader, and that a new Kingdom should be formed in order to accommodate such?

Members of this house tend to show their blood somewhat more weakly then others. However, having many marriages to the lesser branchs of House Targaryen and the other Valyrian-decended Houses of The Point, their traits still show strong. Their hair is universally of the lighter colors; either silver-blond or strawberry blond. There eyes are also of brighter colors; greens and blues and even the rare purple. Features are a less then subdued; Feline is the word many use to describe it.

--------

Personal

Name: Calyth Algarith

Titles: Lord, Acolyte

Age: 20

Position: Noble; Second son of House Algarith, and Acolyte in the Alchemist's Guild

Height: 6'

Weight: 121 lbs.

Visual: Please Ignore Background

7.-DariusFinch.jpg


Personaility: Calyth has always been one of the more forward thinking members of this otherwise traditional family. While he still has a strong sense of properity where certain things are concerned (For instance, women shoulden't go about in armor or swords, proper titles, ect.), he's not much of a stickiler for traditional means in more economic or politcal persuits. He also has a strong thirst for knowledge; to help compensate for his weak heart. This has lead him to be extremely inquisative in nearly every situation, seeking key information he can use. His time with the Alchemists has made him somewhat mysterious and fond of ellusions... a skill he knows how to put to good use, especailly in tandum with the secrets he's learned from his more pratical lessons. He carries himself in a confident way, and while hish high langue may sometimes make him incoprhencable, he always can tell what he's saying.

On the downside, Calyth is somewhat prone to bragging. While very good at gathering information, he sometimes dosen't understand how important it actually is,and tends to blab it to anybody who wants to here. While some might say he tends to be a bit loose with ladies, this isen't really a weakness, as he's always the one doing the intiating. Indeed, if they did, he'd reject them flat out.
 
Last edited:
I'd like to throw my hat in. I love the song of Ice and fire series and wouldn't mind making a unique character in Westeros.
 
I'd like to throw my hat in. I love the song of Ice and fire series and wouldn't mind making a unique character in Westeros.


Wonderful!

If you have any questions, or suggestions on how you'd like the thread to go, don't hestiate to ask
 
Still rereading through it all now. How many people were you looking for this group?
 
I'm still interested and as someone said in another group thread, once the ladies get onboard, the men will follow.
 
I would be interested in playing a Wildling who gets involved with a NightWatchman of some sort for a rough n tumble fling in the snow. Not sure it would play out in a group setting or how this would be organized...
I haven't read the books, not sure if this matters any.
Also, my schedule is a bit difficult so just a heads up.
 
I would be interested in playing a Wildling who gets involved with a NightWatchman of some sort for a rough n tumble fling in the snow. Not sure it would play out in a group setting or how this would be organized...
I haven't read the books, not sure if this matters any.
Also, my schedule is a bit difficult so just a heads up.

Well, that woulden't play out well in a group setting... but if you're thinking Wildling, perhaps another of our characters could be a Northerner, and you a prisioner from a raid you took and "reducated" as a servent (though its all face value). Your idea itself probably dosen't play well in a group thread. However, who knows? The whole thread could revolve around The North if everybody's on it.

And Harem, glad to see you. Gotten a good character idea yet?
 
Personal

Name: Ean Stone

Titles: None

Age: 35

Position: Sellsword negotiating with the Mountain about possibly joining his company, under the impression that it will just be to protect the Lannisters and their lands.

Height: 5' 9"

Weight: 200 lbs.

Ean (think Ian, but spelled differently, like so many other names in Westeros) is a bastard, hence his surname of Stone. He has an intense hatred of knights and septons, but that hate won't pay the rent and so he has swallowed it to consider fighting for the Mountain. He has only one real skill in life and that is to kill, so it's kill or go hungry. He can read, but that is due to being beaten by a maester until he learned to read. He doesn't really care for maesters, either, quite naturally. Lords and kings as well aren't high on his list of favorite people, but he has to eat. And whores cost money, too. Ean loves whores.

What isn't known is that Ean has sworn never to wed and that he almost ended up on the Wall, but escaped before taking the black. A knight whose sister Ean had knocked up had forced him to agree to it, but he didn't actually swear a vow (why would he, since he doesn't believe in any gods) and he deliberately gave himself three visible facial scars to become unrecognizable. It marred his beauty, but he has since declined to sleep with noblewomen ever again. It is a vow that he means to keep, sticking with lowborns like himself, so as to avoid that kind of trouble in the future.

To this day, the identity of Ean's father is a mystery even to him. All that he knows is that his father was a lord and a great warrior. His gray eyes and red hair are still a source of confusion to Ean.

Ean's favorite weapon is a simple javelin. He loves to throw spears at his foes and catch them off guard. His second favorite is his dagger, with which he cuts his victims' throats afterward to make sure they're dead. He'll use a regular sword, spear, or axe in hand-to-hand combat, however.

Ean's hair is kept closely cropped and his face is clean-shaven. He wears the plainest of leather armor at all times and a helm to protect his head during combat. He carries no gold or jewelry. He rides a mule instead of a horse to avoid attracting attention. It is all about being unseen.
 
Last edited:
Sounds interesting, but a few questions here:

Is this RP meant to focus on nobles, or can there be a healthy mix of nobles and smallfolk (smallfolk including mercenaries, witches from Eastros and... you know, anything that does not fit the common Westeros noble´s description)?

Can we create original characters if we wish to play as nobles from the main houses, or do we have to absolutely respect the characters shown in the books and TV series? For example, could one play a female Stark House Lady even though in the canon, it is Eddard who plays that role?

When is the RP set and what deviations from canon will be made? That is, will the RP start at roughly the same time as the canon works? Will the characters that died at around that time still die at roughly the same moment and in the same manner that the canon depicted?



I think it is particularly important to figure out the differences between the original canon, and ours...
 
Sounds interesting, but a few questions here:

Is this RP meant to focus on nobles, or can there be a healthy mix of nobles and smallfolk (smallfolk including mercenaries, witches from Eastros and... you know, anything that does not fit the common Westeros noble´s description)?

Can we create original characters if we wish to play as nobles from the main houses, or do we have to absolutely respect the characters shown in the books and TV series? For example, could one play a female Stark House Lady even though in the canon, it is Eddard who plays that role?

When is the RP set and what deviations from canon will be made? That is, will the RP start at roughly the same time as the canon works? Will the characters that died at around that time still die at roughly the same moment and in the same manner that the canon depicted?



I think it is particularly important to figure out the differences between the original canon, and ours...

To answer your questions in order,

1) I would prefer their to be a mix. Though, to be honest, I'd like to avoid "Billy Bob the hick farmer" or any character with magical talent (Recall, magic is dead in the world).

2) You may create non-canon characters to fit into canon Houses, but I'd prefer no more then one per house, and to keep the general structure of the House intact, as well as following the rules of the setting. Or, to use your example, I would reject such a character, because, outside of Dorne, women can not head houses. Westros is a pre-feminist society.

This does NOT mean your character can't act like Eddard, or even, if a child, be favored by him. It just means that the general setting needs to remain intact.

The campaign will start just before Jon Arryan's death (or, to clarify, about a month before Game of Thrones begins). Alot of how we deviate will depend on what characters we end up with and what we do. For instance, saving Jon Arryan at this point is virtually impossible, but it wouldn't be too hard to change events so Eddard Stack gets out with his head still attached, or even avoid Robert's death all together. Of course, this requires getting IN to court, which has its own set of problems
 
Last edited:
Since the Mountain was already involved in some raids before Jon Arryn's death (at least I seem to recall that), that shouldn't be a problem for Ean, I think. I will have to look back at the book and see which kingdom uses the bastard surname "Stone", however. Don't want to get those mixed up.
 
1) I would prefer their to be a mix. Though, to be honest, I'd like to avoid "Billy Bob the hick farmer" or any character with magical talent (Recall, magic is dead in the world).

The rumours of magic´s death have been greatly exaggerated...

Seriously though, I don´t intend to play a witch or anything like that, but I would assume this would be possible as long as one did it Red Woman style: keep it low-key and anything obvious is done behind the curtain so you don´t have the hicks proclaiming you a god and take you around, fireballing people.



Since the Mountain was already involved in some raids before Jon Arryn's death (at least I seem to recall that), that shouldn't be a problem for Ean, I think. I will have to look back at the book and see which kingdom uses the bastard surname "Stone", however. Don't want to get those mixed up.

I believe "Stone" is used by the Arryns, since the main feature of the Vale are the great mountains and cliffs that protect it. The character with such a surname was the girl who took Catelyn up to the Eyre.
 
The rumours of magic´s death have been greatly exaggerated...

Seriously though, I don´t intend to play a witch or anything like that, but I would assume this would be possible as long as one did it Red Woman style: keep it low-key and anything obvious is done behind the curtain so you don´t have the hicks proclaiming you a god and take you around, fireballing people.





I believe "Stone" is used by the Arryns, since the main feature of the Vale are the great mountains and cliffs that protect it. The character with such a surname was the girl who took Catelyn up to the Eyre.

Yeah, now that you mentioned it, that makes sense. So Ean would be from the Vale. Which works just fine, since the Arryns stay neutral for so long. Thanks. I do recall that now.
 
I was thinking of a sellsword type from one of the free cities. Maybe like a Braavosi water dancer type. If that's cool I'll think on it more.
 
The rumours of magic´s death have been greatly exaggerated...

Seriously though, I don´t intend to play a witch or anything like that, but I would assume this would be possible as long as one did it Red Woman style: keep it low-key and anything obvious is done behind the curtain so you don´t have the hicks proclaiming you a god and take you around, fireballing people.





I believe "Stone" is used by the Arryns, since the main feature of the Vale are the great mountains and cliffs that protect it. The character with such a surname was the girl who took Catelyn up to the Eyre.

The Westerlands Bastard name is Hills, not Stone. Other then that, your character is fine.

Also... I disagree. Magic's death is fairly well set. Sure, some bits of it hold on, but The Red Priests hardly pull magic. They see things in their fires, yes... but they're wrong just as often as not. Hardly magical. The best example of magic in the books is in The Palace of Dusk, and the Warlocks are virutally extinct as well. So, if you want to do a red preist, you're more or less playing the oracle's game; be very vauge, and make excuses when you end up being wrong.
 
Hmmmmmmmm... if you make a female sellsword, you may have trouble getting people to hire her, going by the mysoginistic aspect of Westerosi society.

But what about the captain of a renowned mercenary group hired by a Westerosi lord? There is a female mercenary captain in the latest book, and a lord from Westeros hiring mercenaries to fight for him may be easy enough to justify, particularly if you choose rich Houses to serve like the Arryns or the Lannisters.




The Westerlands Bastard name is Hills, not Stone. Other then that, your character is fine.

Also... I disagree. Magic's death is fairly well set. Sure, some bits of it hold on, but The Red Priests hardly pull magic. They see things in their fires, yes... but they're wrong just as often as not. Hardly magical. The best example of magic in the books is in The Palace of Dusk, and the Warlocks are virutally extinct as well. So, if you want to do a red preist, you're more or less playing the oracle's game; be very vauge, and make excuses when you end up being wrong.

http://iceandfire.wikia.com/wiki/Bastards

And there is a certain character called "Alayne Stone", who is a bastard child.



Magic´s death is kind of a controversial issue, because it depends on what you call "magic" according to how you have experienced it on the media. There are certainly wizards, or people who can be called so, like the Red Priests. However, they are far from being omnipotent beings like your standard Dungeons and Dragons wizards: they are more like Gandalf the White. Their powers are so subtle that if it were not for the ocassional display of magic, you would think they are bullshitting you. Like, for example, in the case of the Red Woman and her assassination mission, of which only three characters were witness to...

But yes, anyone intending to play a Red Priest or an equivalent should definitely play it low-key and mix it with as much uncertainty as possible... which is a kind of magic all on its own, so to speak.

As long as you´ll allow it, of course.
 
Last edited:
Sounds like a good plan. Preferably hired by a House a character is connected to or playing. :p
 
Back
Top