Troublesome Expressions

Use/Utilize

sr71plt, thank you for bringing up "use" and "utilize". I think I actually even saw "Utilize the use of..." somewhere on this site. To me, utilize is a systematic, repeated use of a concept or method.

I use a truck to deliver goods. I utilize traffic data, previous purchase amounts, and other business metrics to ensure my delivery business is as efficient as possible.

It doesn't seem like a word as short as OK/okay would be that difficult to get right. But I think back to my first stories and cringe because I didn't know this stuff either.

So true, but isn't the great problem the lack of etymology?

No-one knows where OK came from, so that framing grammar round it is a bit silly. OK cannot have full stops unless someone explains why and OK is onomatopecic so, surely, 'okay' (with or without an opening capital) or 'OK' are equally acceptable.

One can quote editors' preferences, but this hides behind the mystery of this ubiquitous word and, yet again, defines the difference between the spoken and written language.

So true, but isn't the great problem the lack of etymology?

No-one knows where OK came from, so that framing grammar round it is a bit silly. OK cannot have full stops unless someone explains why and OK is onomatopecic so, surely, 'okay' (with or without an opening capital) or 'OK' are equally acceptable.

One can quote editors' preferences, but this hides behind the mystery of this ubiquitous word and, yet again, defines the difference between the spoken and written language.

Etymology might tell you what the correct usage would have been when an expression first entered the language. But correct modern usage is a matter of convention, and you don't need etymology for that.

Using "okay" is fine in writing to your Aunt Hazel and it's certainly fine for posting to Literotica (as long as you are consistent). If you're writing for publishing in the U.S. market, the "okay" will get changed to "OK," because "OK" is the first-listed spelling in Webster's ("okay" isn't even listed on its own in Webster's). That's just the way it is in publishing. They take as much guesswork and style variation out of the mix as possible. When I provide guidance on Literotica, I'll maybe note the acceptible variations in general writing, but I'll usually urge following the U.S. publishing standards for U.S. writers (because what writer wouldn't like to be published in the marketplace--and with as little hassle as possible?).

I'm waay late to this party, and haven't read through the whole thread, so pardon me if I am repeating some things already mentioned:

One I see time after time on LitE is "shuttered" when "shuddered" is what was meant. Lots of talk of people "shuttering" when they have an orgasm.

Someone already mentioned the waste/waist thing. Phrases like "he grabbed her by the waste" are just wrong on so many levels.

Is there a thread/topic here about OVERUSED expressions? LitE cliches, perhaps?

The eight-inch penis being...a big one, so to speak.

"Her nipples were like pencil erasers" is another.

Another things which seems rampant on LitE is... well, the earlier-mentioned "altogether/all together" problem is an example. Others would include "door way" instead of doorway, sometime/some time, etc.

Is there a name for that type of error?

I'm compelled to add "alright/all right" to the list. While I know that in Britain "alright" is gaining in popularity and is generally accepted as being proper, it isn't standard English. I've gone round and round on this with my authors (professionally and volunteer-wise) citing several different sources. I did relent with one who insisted it be used in dialogue because it scanned better, but I'm still not feeling quite right about that. In the end, "alright" is not "all right."

I'm compelled to add "alright/all right" to the list. While I know that in Britain "alright" is gaining in popularity and is generally accepted as being proper, it isn't standard English. I've gone round and round on this with my authors (professionally and volunteer-wise) citing several different sources. I did relent with one who insisted it be used in dialogue because it scanned better, but I'm still not feeling quite right about that. In the end, "alright" is not "all right."

SR mentioned all right/alright in the thread titled "Some Spelling Demons" found here.

Discrete vs discreet

"Discreet" = quiet, surreptitious. "Discrete" = separate, distinct.

Came to check if this one had been covered because I just encountered this in an edit. I have to look it up each time.

Anyone being hit with other unusual ones of late? I had soar/sore the other day.

Ran into two more of these in edits today: rendering "wares" (goods) when what was intended was "wears" (puts on) and rendering "weary" (tired) when what was intended was "wary" (watch carefully).

Came to check if this one had been covered because I just encountered this in an edit. I have to look it up each time.

Anyone being hit with other unusual ones of late? I had soar/sore the other day.

Still getting stuck on 'further' versus 'farther'.

I'm going to make a list, I guess. 'Discrete' vs. 'discreet' will be on it, too.

It's good to have a chance to discuss these foibles.

Still getting stuck on 'further' versus 'farther'.

I'm going to make a list, I guess. 'Discrete' vs. 'discreet' will be on it, too.

It's good to have a chance to discuss these foibles.

How about dialog versus dialogue.

Further on

His thoughts went no further, as by now she was kneeling by his shoulder.

Should the above have instead been written:
His thoughts went no farther, as by now she was kneeling by his shoulder.

And then there's this 'further':
His dick was lodged in the uppermost part of her throat and she tried to push it in further [....]

Should have been:
His dick was lodged in the uppermost part of her throat and she tried to push it in farther [....]

Any thoughts? Maybe in the first sentence, it is okay to have it stay as 'further'?
Dang it. This stuff's not easy.

Last edited:
"farther" is for measurable distance. So, in these examples, "thoughts/further" and "Dick/farther."

Using "okay" is fine in writing to your Aunt Hazel and it's certainly fine for posting to Literotica (as long as you are consistent). If you're writing for publishing in the U.S. market, the "okay" will get changed to "OK," because "OK" is the first-listed spelling in Webster's ("okay" isn't even listed on its own in Webster's). That's just the way it is in publishing. They take as much guesswork and style variation out of the mix as possible. When I provide guidance on Literotica, I'll maybe note the acceptible variations in general writing, but I'll usually urge following the U.S. publishing standards for U.S. writers (because what writer wouldn't like to be published in the marketplace--and with as little hassle as possible?).

Wow. Just wow. Feeling so ignorant here. I spent my life writing “OK”, but after coming here, I thought I must have had it all wrong (with many other grammar mistakes!) and through “okay” was the acceptable spelling. I’m pretty sure I’ve had that edited incorrectly.

Live and learn. :eek:

Editors correct my military useage all the time; an AEROPORT is a military airport, MATERIEL is military stuff not in use but available, MESS is a military dining facility, etc. The KITCHEN POLICE are not concerned about china and silverware designs or poor table etiquette.

Copy editors routinely try and make writers look like idgits with the erroneous 'corrections.'

tout: to promote (among other, more remote meanings)

taut: tightly drawn

taunt: ridicule

taught: past and past participle of "teach": educated

OK and tv

Great to know. Thanks. How about the spelling and capitalization of the word 'tv' in sentences. I've been editing capitalized 'TV' to 'tv'.

I hope that's OK.

since: later than

sense: perceive/meaning

And, I guess if you're not really careful, scents: something you smell

Using "since" in place of "because" is now one of my worst habits, at least since I laid the lay/lie problem to rest. I usually have to do a find on "since" during the editing process to stamp them all out.

Back