Isolated Blurt Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in Maugansville, MD, because our van stalled out on the way back from Virginia. No accident or anything -- luckily this happened as we were pulling into a McD's so PennBoy could use a bathroom. Naturally since this is a holiday, every garage is closed, AAA-affiliated or not. So here we are at a hotel. PennGirl is quite excited, as she's never been in one before. I am not pleased because a) I wanted to be home, b) PennBoy will have to miss school tomorrow and c) unless it rains tomorrow (which it might), PennGirl will miss a festival and graduation for her pre-school. :(

Plus we just had the van serviced.

But we got some good Chinese food delivered...

Sigh...

I am in Maugansville, MD, because our van stalled out on the way back from Virginia. No accident or anything -- luckily this happened as we were pulling into a McD's so PennBoy could use a bathroom. Naturally since this is a holiday, every garage is closed, AAA-affiliated or not. So here we are at a hotel. PennGirl is quite excited, as she's never been in one before. I am not pleased because a) I wanted to be home, b) PennBoy will have to miss school tomorrow and c) unless it rains tomorrow (which it might), PennGirl will miss a festival and graduation for her pre-school. :(

Sigh...

I'm sorry to hear that. :( At least you can make an adventure out of it that your family will talk about for years to come.

I'm sorry to hear that. :( At least you can make an adventure out of it that your family will talk about for years to come.

Thanks. If we find out tomorrow that there is a problem, we'll be glad we stayed. If not, well, then we erred on the side of caution, which when you have kids is usually the best course.

Sigh...

Go with the flow, kiddo. You are making memories!:)

Go with the flow, kiddo. You are making memories!:)

Not the kind of memories I'd like to make, to be honest. The hotel is nice but it's not in an area where there's a lot we can do to kill time or anything. We can't use the pool since we don't have suits and we can't go shopping since the van is on the fritz. But we'll manage. We have more computers and devices than people, I think. ;)

Hi Babs,

Ye gods, but it's gloomy weather this morning.

I hate to say this, but I'm hoping for gloomy weather so that PennGirl's thing will be postponed until tomorrow. Although that's still no guarantee if we have to stay around here another night. Sigh.

I hate to say this, but I'm hoping for gloomy weather so that PennGirl's thing will be postponed until tomorrow. Although that's still no guarantee if we have to stay around here another night. Sigh.

Round here a "parade" or festivity is set for one day (usually a Sunday) and it is set in stone. If it heaves with rain, you'll get wet. End of story.
Postponement is NOT an option.

Round here a "parade" or festivity is set for one day (usually a Sunday) and it is set in stone. If it heaves with rain, you'll get wet. End of story.

We are home! Whew. Not sure what will happen to our van, or what is covered or not by warranties or insurance, but we are home. And already back to normal, sort of -- Mr. Penn and PennBoy went off to the latter's baseball game, which we had kind of hoped was canceled due to the weather.

The festivities in question are for PennGirl's preschool program. The high school students who participate as the "big buddies" (PennGirl and her pals are the "little buddies") make up activities and games and crafts for the kids and it's set up outside in one of the open areas by the high school. So rain means postponement. The little graduation is going to be inside, I think.

At any rate, I'm glad we can make it. PennGirl would have been very disappointed.

We have an annual carnival. They assemble in the road opposite our house and the Carnival Queens from all over Kent line up in the road beside our house.

We turn our downstairs cloakroom into a Royal washroom for the day because the Queens' massive skirts don't mix with the public toilets 400 yards away.

But one year, just before the start of the procession, a rainstorm arrived with strong winds and some hail showers. Several of the children's gymnastic display teams and a couple of children's floats sheltered in our house. We had at least 60 children aged between about 7 and 11, dripping wet and shivering. Every towel we owned was used and our phone was redhot with the adult leaders summoning parents to rescue their offspring.

But the carnival parade left on time. Some of the participants were missing but even when the spectators couldn't see the other side of the road they still cheered the carnival as it passed.

Weather doesn't stop English carnivals.

Unfortunately it won't deter Morris Dancers either. They just drink more beer before dancing in the rain, through the floods, up to their calves in mud...

Twice in my free poker league this season I have gone heads up, both times against my father, and each time I won :D

PennLady, I'm glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. Any word with what happened to the van? Hopefully the Pennkids enjoyed the little adventure.

PennLady, I'm glad to hear you made it home safe and sound. Any word with what happened to the van? Hopefully the Pennkids enjoyed the little adventure.

Thanks for the kind words. :) Well, the PennKids did enjoy staying at a hotel, especially my daughter, as she never had before. And it was a nice hotel. Sleeping was kind of tough; I guess I was kind of wired and the comforter was very warm, so I'd sleep and wake up, sleep and wake up. Sigh.

We don't have a final word on the van yet. While at a garage this morning, though, Mr. Penn told me they started it up and removed the cover on the timing belt, and one could see little pieces of metal shooting around. I don't know if they were off the belt, or just hitting the belt, but they did say we probably wouldn't have made it another 20 miles so it was good that we stopped when we did.

I really have no idea what we'll do. We are in one of those stretches where things are happening that require money and unfortunately we have a limited supply, although Mr. Penn's family has been very kind about helping us out. Still, if the van is not reparable, or not worth repairing, I'm not sure what we'll do, and one part of that that really stings is we just had the van serviced within the last couple of weeks at the local dealer.

But I keep reminding myself not to worry or speculate too much -- we haven't heard from the dealer in Maryland, where our van currently is, so until we have word from them, it's not worth devoting a whole lot of energy to it.

A truly isolated blurt . . . .

I have come to the conclusion that you are a truly juvenile human being. You are petty, selfish, self-aggrandizing, and incredibly insecure to the point of impotence. Everything I have seen you write, from your posts to your signature to your stories smacks of your juvenile demeanor.

Eventually, however, you will leave. As complicated as you are, you are still a troll, and not a very good one at that, and you will come to the conclusion that your "talents" are wasted here. So off you will be, taking your acid with you.

And you will not be missed. ;)

The lovely thunderstorm turned into a downed power line and a home power outage. Scared kids. Barking dog. Thank goodness for plentiful flashlights and a generator.

The lovely thunderstorm turned into a downed power line and a home power outage. Scared kids. Barking dog. Thank goodness for plentiful flashlights and a generator.

I remember one time during a windstorm, a branch came down on the power line outside our house. But it did not sever the line completely, so at first it was a brown out. Now imagine a very young John who was afraid of the dark and all of a sudden the lights are flickering in and out like in a horror movie. Then my parents came into my room panicking that the house was on fire. Luckily it was not. When we got outside, the branch was on fire though. A minute later there was a loud buzzing of current, a brilliant blue light and the branch exploded.

We just had a thunderstorm, but 45 miles away a small tornado touched down.

I remember one time during a windstorm, a branch came down on the power line outside our house. But it did not sever the line completely, so at first it was a brown out. Now imagine a very young John who was afraid of the dark and all of a sudden the lights are flickering in and out like in a horror movie. Then my parents came into my room panicking that the house was on fire. Luckily it was not. When we got outside, the branch was on fire though. A minute later there was a loud buzzing of current, a brilliant blue light and the branch exploded.

See, now, that would be cool! For me, not for the kidlets. All we've got over here is a lot of emergency vehicles, but no sign of the power company.

We had something similar happen at one of the houses I lived in while growing up in Germany. This particular home was basically a row house, with no space between ours and the next. Anyway, we had something of a back yard, with a single tree in it.

One night, the power went out during a particularly nasty storm. My sister and I both panicked, and Dad came up to tell us everything was all right. And then . . .

BOOM!

A huge crash, and all the windows that looked out onto the back yard lit up. My father and I, with flashlights in hand, headed out to see what happened.

The tree had been split, presumably by lightning. We could actually see smoke. I thought that was the coolest thing I'd ever seen . . . unless. of course, I had actually witnessed the tree being split.

We had a tree branch hanging on our power line, hanging precariously off the side of the house. I am surprised that the power stayed on and the tree limb never caught fire.

I have come to the conclusion that you are a truly juvenile human being. You are petty, selfish, self-aggrandizing, and incredibly insecure to the point of impotence. Everything I have seen you write, from your posts to your signature to your stories smacks of your juvenile demeanor.

I always feel like these posts are about me, as I share a lot of those qualities, and fear that I might share the others.

And then I read this paragraph:

Eventually, however, you will leave. As complicated as you are, you are still a troll, and not a very good one at that, and you will come to the conclusion that your "talents" are wasted here. So off you will be, taking your acid with you.

And despite all of my shortcomings, I am not a troll, and feel a sigh of relief that I haven't been found out yet ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back