What Lingers in the Darkness (open)

ChaseMePleez

Literotica Guru
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Posts
529
The lights that ran across the marquee gave the place a feel of old Hollywood. Tonight was a showing of the ballet 'Don Quixote'. People came from a ways just to see one of the more famous ballets, She was never a big fan of the movie house or the opera. Ballet held her heart, mesmerizing her with its graceful beauty. A corseted red satin gown graced her body with flowing material that gave her a look of elegance. The dark brown tresses of hair had been softly curled and lay down her back. Her ample bust emphasized her shape in the gorgeous dress. Nessa made a mental note to thank Mrs. Panini for lending it to her. The hallways of the theater seemed endless as she searched for her box seat. Tonight she could forget about the sword that was hanging above her head. Nessa was being hunted by the Bonanno family, specifically Andrew Bonanno II. No one takes rejection well, especially a spoiled rich mob son that has never heard the word 'no' in his life. She had met Andrew while she was working at the Museum of the City of New York. Nessa was in charge of new requisitions for the museum and verifying their provenance. He quickly became obsessive, not taking her rejection for reality. He even told people that they were engaged at one point. He became violent after the first three weeks of her rejection, landing a few slaps on her. When came into her office, laying a gun on her desk that she knew it was time to run. She had no family left anymore, no one to miss her. No one would help her at first. The bastard had poisoned her reputation in the community. It took some sway from a friend high up in the justice system to get Andrew delayed long enough for her to disappear.

The first town wasn't as isolated as she needed it to be. Andrew found her within a month. He and his boys had sneaked into her apartment in the middle of the night. Andrew demanded that she accept his marriage proposal or she'd regret it. If it hadn't been for a few town drunks that were pissing on Andrew's car, she might not have made it. With nothing more than her purse and a few necessary items that she had kept in the trunk, Nessa found her next home. She lived in this small town under the name of Katie Benton, teaching history to the 7th graders. Nessa had been there for 8 months now and the ticket to the ballet was a gift from the kids for her birthday. It made her smile that those kids thought that much of her. Tonight was about entertainment, a rime to relax and let the music bring her to heaven again. Tonight she wasn't allowed to think of what she feared and would only think of living. It was a tough situation though, being alone and she was feeling more than a little frustrated. Andrew had reeked havoc on anyone that showed a glimmer of interest in her. She soon gave up on dating anyone in fear of his retribution.

Nessa looked at her ticket, checking the signs above the doors, looking for her box seat. She finally found it at the very end and went through the doors. It looked empty which made her happy. She didn't feel like making the necessary small talk during the show and she wouldn't feel at ease with someone next to her. She sat in the seat she was assigned, looking down at the stage which was bare at this point. The people were taking their seats and she could hear the soft noise of conversation in the crowds. As the show began and the music flowed through the air, Nessa noticed very little going on around her. For once she wasn't on hyper alert for some sign of Andrew and it felt good to be normal even if it was for a little while. She hummed along to the music and watched the dancers glide across the stage. Nessa watched as the Don's obsession came to life. Her black eyes stared off into the darkness in the back of her. She was still a little afraid of what lingered in the shadows. Maybe it was just her paranoia getting the best of her.
 
James stood silently at the edge of the curtain, appraising the beauty who had recently entered and taken her seat. He had been assured by Jean that the box would be empty and he would be able to sit and wait out his pursuers without interruption. He peered back into the hallway and noticed the ushers and other theater workers bustling around. He might be able to leave without being noticed. But where would he go.

The woman sighed and he glanced back towards her, really looking at her for the first time.

He found her entrancing. Her full brown hair shimmered in lovely contrast against her elegant red dress. Her poise and posture suggested someone confident and sure of herself. She wore a calm expression but he could sense sadness in the way she wrung her hands waiting for the production to begin.

She glanced around casually and James pulled himself farther back into the shadows. He was fairly certain she hadn't seen him, but he couldn't be sure.

And what if she did see him? What if she found that she wasn't alone?

He was certainly dressed the part of a theater goer. Take away his long dark dress coat and you would see a tailor fitted black suit, gleaming white pleated shirt and perfectly tied bow tie. He had accounted for the possibility of being discovered in the theater and wanted to be sure he would fit in. He could even speak to the performance having attended the theater every Saturday with his grandfather growing up.

The lights dimmed and the curtain rose. James watched the woman grow more and more comfortable, letting herself be drawn into the production. He shifted his stance slightly, trying to decide what to do. The woman shifted slightly as if in response. Had she heard him?

After a moment, James chastised himself. Here he was standing in the darkness mere feet from a stunning woman. Alone in a crowd of hundreds of theater goers but secluded within the soft walls and curtains of the theater box. He was a man with no fear. He was a man who made things happen. And yet here he hesitated. Why?

Softly, quietly, he stepped forward and sat in the chair directly behind the woman. A strange idea crossed his mind as he leaned forward to within inches of her. He could smell the beauty of her. He drank in her sweet fragrance and then spoke in a soft whisper.

"I am so glad you have come. I knew you would."

"No no. Do not turn around. You have nothing to fear. I simply wanted to let you know, that you are not alone lest you were alarmed later."
 
There was a feeling of being watched that bothered her for the first part of show but Nessa chalked it up to the large crowd of people down below. She had avoided large groups of people since this whole mess started. The crowd was silent as the lighting made the stage appear to be ethereal in its presence. She noticed that some of the people in box seats were being offered wine. She might try a glass of her own.

Peace of mind is seldom achieved in this chaotic world and seldom kept for a long period of time. It was a lesson she learned from Andrew's presence in her life. In hindsight she probably should have stayed home tonight but she was lonely and was hoping for some kind of change. The music did nothing to hinder her from looking fearfully for her tormentor's face in the audience. She wanted to kick herself for letting the bastard ruining her night so far.

Nessa tensed at the sound of a voice in her ear. The welcoming smell of a man's cologne oddly comforted her. She continued to watch as the dancers pranced about the stage, mentally recounting how the ticket came into her possession. A small card had been left in her mailbox that day containing the ticket for the ballet. Someone had wanted her here at this time and at this place. The only thing she didn't know was why. Was he here to bring to Andrew? She didn't know if she had the speed to get to the small knife she kept strapped to her thigh. Nessa was ready to trust someone. She continued watching the dancers, not alerting to his presence.

Nessa looked about to count the number of entrances in the main area in case she had to make a run for it. Her only hope of getting by this man would be taking him by surprise if the situation turned sour. "If you are here to bring me back to Andrew, you should know that I will not go quietly or easily." It was a statement of fact, not a bluff or a lie. She hadn't worked this hard to make a life for herself just to be taken from it again. Her eyes began to tear up but forced the panic back. Nessa whispered back to the stranger. "Tell me who you are." Her fear was clearly evident in the tone of her voice. Nessa was so close to a breaking point.
 
Back
Top