When Sparks Fly ~Closed~

princesssexci

Eternal Brat
Joined
May 5, 2008
Posts
28,377
Closed for Fr33kS33k​

Angelina aka Angel walked through the large city with a bored look on her face. She wasn’t sure where she was going or what she was going to do. Life had become immensely boring what with her parents dead and all. She chuckled darkly to herself as she brushed strands of her dark hair out of her eyes. Her blue eyes looked about the city with wonder.

Angelina had grown up in a well to do mage family. Her family had been the typical tinkerers. Angel had a different idea of magic though. Technology was her specialty. It was advanced enough that it could have easily been mistaken for magic. She used this to her advantage of course, and though she was no pro at it, she did pretty well.

One time she’d created a long rifle that contained frost nova. However, the effects hadn’t been as successful as she would have liked. The spell seemed to scatter but that was only if she didn’t hit the target which was like…always. She was never good at those kinds of things which her parents used to chastise her for.

‘At least you have your looks, because apparently your powers aren’t gonna do it for you.’ Her mother would say and it was true. She was quite the beautiful mage, long dark hair and frosty blue eyes. She had a curvy body but not overly so. Her breasts were an ample size 38c. However, looking good was not how Angel wanted to get by in life. She wanted to develop her powers. She’d always been curious as a young girl and that hadn’t stopped when she’d gotten older.

In fact, some could say she was way too curious for her own good but that was the price of being a techno mage.

Her fingers glided over electric cords and she could feel the power vibrating through her whole body. It hummed through her, almost feeling like the approach of an orgasm.

“Burn…” she whispered softly, training her gaze on the cords. “Come on, I said burn damn it!” It sparked for a mere second and that spark hit her finger. “SHIT!” she screamed, her finger bleeding from the minor hit.
 
Last edited:
Pale green eyes flashed open, the lights in the dingy apartment flickering on as they did so. As Darren sat up, he flicked his fingers, a shock of electricity jolting an odd machine off in the corner of the room. The machine, it turned out, was an air filtration unit. It whirred and clanked as the beat-up old fans and gears started to turn. His eyes went to the television, narrowing for a moment. The set turned on as if of its own volition. He smiled and rubbed the remaining sleep from his eyes.

"Well...another wonderful day in the slums. Guess I'll..."

His thoughts trailed off as he heard a zap and then a loud expletive. What the hell? He felt the hairs on the back of his neck raise, like being in the presence of a static field. He went to the window and stuck his head out. Down on the street below, a girl was tweaking the cables that ran up the side of his building. She looked very out of place here. He quirked a brow as he saw her face in a quick flash. He'd seen her somewhere before...but he couldn't place her. Before she looked his direction, he ducked back inside. She was definitely tinkering with the wiring, but for what purpose?

That tingle at the nape of his neck was still going...definitely magic in the air. Not his own. Then it clicked. Techno-mage. Just like him. But...he was an outcast. No one else he knew could manipulate electronics and the like.

A smile curled his lips as he grabbed his battered duster and flung it around his shoulders. He looked like a real desperado in that old thing. Classic good looks, a sharp jaw and a youthful visage didn't hurt. He ran a hand through his short raven-black hair and slammed his apartment door. Everything inside that was electronic shut down immediately, except for a small computer. The LEDs continued to flicker and the in-board fan whirred softly.

The four flights of stairs meant that she'd probably be long gone by the time he got down there, but he could still feel the magic lingering in the air as he burst out onto the street.

"Well, she's not too subtle with her work...easy enough to follow..." he muttered to himself as he turned down the street and kept going, the tingle growing stronger the closer he got.
 
Leaning against the side of the wall, she licked her finger wincing at the burn. When she'd tried to cast a spell over the electrical cords, causing it to burn it only managed to burn her. "Fucking, stupid..." she grumbled silently to herself, mentally cursing herself out.

If only she could gain more control over her powers. She knew that there was something there, something special deep within herself but finding it was the key.

Or maybe she just wasn't a good techno mage. That could've always been an option even though she'd been studying the technique since she'd been a preteen. "This is hopeless." she brushed her dark hair out of her eyes again as her finger continued its burn.

Her magic seemed to last for awhile and her finger hurt like hell.

"Damn it, damn it, damn it..." she whimpered.
 
"You know, if you want to wire-tap someone, you should probably start with a simple splice."

Darren smiled as he rounded the corner, fingers tugging at the collar of his duster. Damned lapels never stayed up like he wanted them to.

"So...you've got a nice little burn there. Let me see your hand..."

He didn't wait for her to protest or feed him a line about how she wasn't hurt that badly...he grabbed her at the wrist and turned her palm up. He pressed his index finger to hers and there was a small spark between them. When he removed his, her digit was perfectly fine, though a small line remained where the burn had been. Small healing magic was simple once you understood the more complicated stuff. It was still rough, but then again, she wasn't a machine.

"Well then, now that I've fixed that, you mind telling me what you were doing with the cables outside my apartment?"

He smiled again, knowing that he hadn't introduced himself. Better to get her to spill the beans first, then fill in the details later.
 
Blinking, she just stared up at him having felt the spark. Clearly, that was magic, techno magic. "You're...apartment...??" she said slowly. Shaking her head, she cleared her throat. "Um, sorry I was just experimenting, working on my spells that kinda thing..." she mumbled. She looked at her finger which was almost as good as new aside from the little burn scar.

"Um, thanks for your help though...I could've figured out how to heal myself..." she said, slightly indignantly.

"I'm Angel, by the way.." She said, figuring she may as well introduce herself seeing as he had healed her and all. It was the polite thing to do. She held her hand out for a handshake. "And you are?" She asked, lifting her brow at the man before.
 
Looking around, he realized they'd come to Dinton Park. It was empty this time of day; everyone was either working or sleeping.

"Working on your spells? Don't they have schoolhouses for that sort of thing? I mean, you're obviously from the District. No one with clothes like that comes to the slums unless they're bored, looking for trouble, or running from responsibility. And sure, you'dve figured it out. Eventually. But I figured I would be a snoop since you've happened to wander so far from home."

He took her hand in his, feeling the flow of power from their fingertips. She was definitely a strong mage, if not a good one.

"Angel...that's a cute name. Seems you've fallen a long way if you're wandering around here. Hm...so, you want to work on your skills? How about you meet me here tomorrow. I bet I can show you a thing or two that none of your teachers has ever thought of..."

He smiled again, dropping her hand and turning on his heels. Hands tucked into his duster, he made his way back to his apartment. Over his shoulder, he called back to her.

"Name's Darren, by the way. Nice to meet ya, Angel."

He was still trying to figure out where he'd seen her before. Once he got back to his apartment, a quick search of the Net jogged his memory. Well-to-do family, versed in all sorts of magic, but with no apparent ties to the techno-magic division. For someone with that much latent power, there had to be a strong font to draw from. More research might have to be done there. For now, he would just enjoy the day and see if she was eager enough to come back tomorrow.
 
She glared at him, arrogant son of a ... How dare he? Thankfully, he didn't know who she was and the fact that she hadn't given her full name was good, right? Angel opened her mouth to say something then closed it thinking better of what was about to be said.

"Of course, I go to magic school but they hardly teach what I want to learn, not that its any of your business."

She frowned as he grasped her hand and she was about to jerk her hand away from his but he dropped it instead. "Alright, fine. Tomorrow, it is..."

Angel's eyes followed him as he walked away and she shivered as her name seemed to roll off of his tongue. Shaking her head, she supposed it was time to return home. He didn't need to know that she had been bored either, it wasn't his business.

Waking up the next day, she stretched took a shower and got dressed in a pair of designer blue jeans, a leather jacket, and red blouse. Brushing through her dark hair once she tied it up in a ponytail and made her way to the park which she had agreed to do so with Darren.

Angel looked around and then took a seat on the bench, pulling out a book to read whilst she waited for him to show, if he showed.
 
Last edited:
Darren woke much like he normally did; manipulating the electronics in his small apartment as he became more aware. His computer was flashing an urgent message at him. Wiping some of the sleep from his eyes, he read through the message. From the tone of the writer, it was a catastrophe. In reality it was only a minor setback in the plans he'd laid out. Running a shadowy organization wasn't all it was cracked up to be some days...

He typed up a quick retort to the message, telling them not to worry and to await further instruction. Then it was up and at 'em; time to get back to Dinton Park. That girl....Angel...

He strolled up to the bench she was sitting on, casually giving her a once over. Damn, she had curves. He cleared his throat and rested a hand on her shoulder.

"Well, you actually showed up. To be honest, I'm surprised."
 
Slowly lifting her head from the book, sensing the energy next to her while also feeling his eyes roam all over her body.At the sound of Darren's voice, she looked at him and gave him a brilliant smile. "Take a picture, it lasts longer." Pausing, she closed her book and placed it back in her bag. "Do I look like the kind of girl who doesn't listen very well?" Because she was. She held back that remark, but something about Darren intrigued her; therefore, she could listen for a bit.

Plus it did help that he had offered to show her some new tricks. Being a techno mage meant wanting to learn everything. Glancing at her watch, she smiled "And you're right on time, Darren was it? So..show me what you got." She said, lifting her brows in a slight challenge.
 
"A picture might last longer, but it's more fun this way. And I won't do you the disservice of answering that last bit. Yes, my name is Darren. So nice of you to remember...Angel."

Rather than speak his response to her request, his hand left her shoulder while he stepped around to stand before her. His eyes found hers, staring intently as his fingers worked the clasp of his wristwatch. It slipped from his hand but just before it hit the ground it stopped, as though magnetically repulsed by the ground. It floated up and up, rising to Angel's eye level, turning over and over. Darren's eyes followed the watch, his fingers curled as if gripping an invisible orb. Arcs of electricity flickered between his digits.

With a quick clench of his fingers, the watch ripped apart, gears and glass and metal all separating into individual orbiting pieces. The release of his hand from the fist it had formed let the watch fall back into wholeness. He reached up and snatched the watch out of the air, impressed with himself. He wondered if they'd taught her simple manipulation like that in her classes. If not, then she was in for a whole world of new experiences with her magic.

"So, think you can do that?"

He tossed her his watch nonchalantly, his smile now more of a cocky grin. His hands went instinctively to his pockets, digging deep into the emptiness of them.
 
Angel lifted her brow as he said her name, emphasizing it ALOT. It made her wonder why, he was doing that. Brushing that particular action of his, she watched as he showed her what he could do, restraining the urge to roll her eyes. What a show off. Since she didn't come from a family of techno mages, she hadn't been taught that particular trick. However, she had learned it. It wasn't that hard of a trick, really.

As the watch was thrown to her, instead of catching it. She lifted it with her powers lifting, slowly lifting. The watch then began to slowly break apart looking almost unfixable. Angel tilted her head opened her palm wide as it burst into tiny fragments just as he'd demonstrated.

She twirled her finger and made the nuts and gears twirl around his head before coming back together and landing gently back in front of him. "Easy peasy lemon squeezy. Is that really all you got, Darren?" She smirked and leaned against the tree. "I was expecting more then simple parlor tricks."
 
He didn't say a word. Only snapped his fingers.

The air crackled with static and the watch shattered again, reforming as a snake, clattering and clanking as it slithered in place. It snapped at Angel, metallic jaws filled with gears as fangs.

Darren smiled and set the watch-snake on the ground. It wriggled closer to her, but kept a safe distance. His eyes watched hers to gauge her reactions, but his hands were already working again, sweeping from his sides to meet before him, the static charge in the air congealing into an orb of arcing miniature lightning. He held it up to Angel, letting the shape wobble and warp. He held it barely under control, but he'd had practice with it. If she tried to hold it...well, she might keep it. Then again, she might let it loose. In fact, he hoped the latter would happen. That would be the real test of her latent power.

"So...you want it?"

The watch-snake snapped at her again, rattling its tail.
 
Angel watched with pure amazement and suddenly wished she’d gone to Techno mage school because what Darren had done was pure amazement.

As the watch snake snapped at her, she jumped slightly then looked at Darren biting her lip, as she wondered how to answer the question. Slowly she nodded and moved slowly towards the watch snake to pick it up.

It snapped at her again and she quickly dropped it, not quite sure what would happen if it bit her. Angel blushed and looked down.

“Um…sorry?” she whispered.

Well, that was embarassing. All that big talk and then suddenly that happened. She should've known something like that would've happened though. "How did you...how did you do that?" Angel couldn't resist asking.
 
She was so enthralled by the snake, she seemed to have missed the real gesture of power. He chuckled as she got bashful, his free hand moving as though tugging on marionette strings. The watch-snake wriggled around and then became just a watch once more, flying through the air to encircle his wrist.

Now he was sure her eyes would find the glowing orb in his left hand. The lightning continued to crackle and strike in every direction, held in check by the concentration of his mind.

"The watch thing? It's just another of my parlor tricks. This, though...it's a bit more complicated. Here, take it."

Time for another test, a reactionary study. If she didn't catch the ball, it would discharge. If she did manage to catch it, but didn't keep it contained, it would still discharge. He had a feeling her instinct would take over. A flick of his wrist sent the orb spinning and wobbling toward her, energy still strobing brightly within.
 
Angel watched as he flicked the ball towards her and frowned. Was she supposed to catch it? She assumed she should. At least, that was what her instinct told her, to catch it before it fell to the ground. Quickly, she tried to levitate it but sadly, she'd taken too long to decide on whether she should catch it or not and it fell to the ground, discharging.

"Well, that didn't go as planned..." she muttered.

It seemed her arrogance was flying out the window, because clearly this Darren was a much better Techno mage than even she could dream to be. Of course, she hadn't exactly been professionally taught to be a Techno mage and obviously he had.

How else would he know such impressive tricks, parlor or not.

"I want to try again." She said, with a tone of pride and determination.
 
The little ball of lightning crackled and fizzled on the ground, dispersing in an instant. It didn't take much for him to conjure another one.

"You sure you're ready for this? I mean, you didn't even try to catch the first one..."

His smug grin only reinforced the fact that he was having fun with this. She looked determined, if only to prove him wrong. There was that spark of power he had seen before too. It was definitely something that was a gateway. Her potential was unknown, but it had to be big.

This new orb was green and not white like normal. He'd infused it with a bit of extra magic, making sure it was potent enough to explode if she didn't catch it. Not a big boom, just enough to scare her. Another flick of his wrist and it was sailing toward her, forks of electricity arcing all the while.

"Here ya go..."
 
She glared at Darren as he clearly mocked her. She rolled her eyes. Angel could've insisted that she had tried but it hadn't worked. However, she didn't want to come off as a spoiled brat, a whiner, or even a baby. Controlling her temper, she lifted her eyes to meet his.

"Yes, I'm ready for this.."

She was ready to prove his smug ass, that she could handle anything he threw at her. Literally.

He threw the orb at her and she could almost sense it's power. Levitating it with her hand, she could feel it preparing to drop again, a look of concentration appeared on her face. Her eyebrows creased and she held it for as long as she possibly could.

That lasted about 5 minutes before it fell and dispersed, causing a loud boom. She squealed and jumped back, glaring at his even more smug look. "Very funny. You're enjoying making me look like a fool, aren't you?"
 
He watched with amusement as she tried to steel herself for the test. She managed to catch the orb and even hold it aloft for several minutes. When she finally lost concentration and it fell, it blew up just as he'd intended. She jumped like she'd seen a ghost and made a face that only made him smile wider.

"No, I'm just testing your skills. Seems you've got a lot to learn. Great potential though. So, if you wanna learn, come with me. I'll show you a few things to get you started."

He turned on his heels and headed back toward his apartment. If they kept going on out in the open, someone was liable to take note. A few small instances of magic were overlooked, but any serious techno-magic was swiftly reported to the authorities. Not particularly the people Darren wanted to have a chat with.

As he walked, he called out over his shoulder, "C'mon Angel....not scared, are ya?"
 
She glared at his retreating form, glancing around her. His arrogant smile infuriated her but at the same time, she was increasingly curious. "Coming, Darren." She snapped, still glaring at the back of his head.

Angel really hated how he said her name. For some odd reason, it bothered her the way he said her name, the way he emphasized her name. Hurrying behind him, she was quiet for a long while.

"Where are we going?" Angel asked. "I mean, honestly I don't really know you so...." her voice trailed off. Why the hell was she following him, then?
 
"My apartment. Safer there. No prying eyes. This test was fun, but we'd eventually start drawing some attention. Not really ideal."

He kept walking, not stopping to explain. Not even as they rounded the corner to his apartment and he swiped a finger against the security panel. A spark jolted through it, it made a noise that it likely wasn't supposed to, then it unlocked. Almost as if against its will. The door swung open.

"Right this way..."

He ushered her inside and shut the door. The stairwell was empty except the roaming cleaners. The mechanical trashcans scooped up any stray refuse and monitored the building on a rotating schedule. Darren had hacked them the first day he'd moved in, setting his own security measures into the little droids. The door to his apartment was locked with a large apparatus that seemed more like a puzzle-box than a swipe-pad or any other normal electronic lock. He snapped his fingers and the mechanism jumped and turned and whirred until it clicked into place and unlocked the door. He pushed it open and stepped to the side.

"Welcome to my humble abode..."
 
Angel followed silently, watching in amazement at the vast amounts of electronic goodies he had. Though, she tried to show indifference. She could already tell he was somewhat arrogant about his gift, not that she was any better but still...she found it odd that some stranger would want to help her with her own 'gift.'

The instructors at the mage academy she'd gone to hadn't even wanted her to bother with her electro mage techniques.

'It's taboo...' they'd all say.

Coming back to the present, she glanced up at Darren and stepped inside of his apartment. "Thank you..." Pushing her dark hair back, she looked around before taking a seat on the couch.
 
While she sat on the couch, Darren went around to his computer terminal to check his mail. No replies yet, which meant that things should be running smoothly. He turned in his wheeled chair to face Angel.

"So, you're in school to be a mage. But they won't teach you any of the techno-spells? They frown on it hard there, right? You know why they do that right?"


He leaned over and grabbed a small trinket from his computer desk. He tossed it up in the air and it floated there, twirling like it was in space. As it flipped end over end, it coursed with magic. The magic seemed to make the box move more, unlocking and clicking at segments that unfolded like a rubik's cube coming undone. Inside it was a small gem, pulsing a green light.

"This is the essence of technology. The spark, if you will. It's what gives every machine the capability to work. Without a spark, even simple machines just don't do things right. With it, they're more efficient, more effective. But that also gives them a small fraction of sentience. They know they exist, whether they can impose their will on the world or not. True techno-magic involves manipulating this spark. Have you ever seen one of these?"
 
"Yeah, they frown on it; especially when your family--" she stopped herself, almost giving the secret of who she was, away. "Nevermind, go on..."

She watched as the trinket floated in the air. Angel watched with baited breath at the beauty of it all. She peered down at the sparkling green gem as he explained it's functionality. She looked back up at him and then the gem, frowning somewhat trying to search the recesses of her mind.

"In a book once, when I went to the library..." She said, "not in person though."

Did this mean she wasn't actually a true techno mage? That kinda really sucked, didn't it? "How do you manipulate it?"
 
He heard the hesitation, but chose to ignore it. It took a lot of concentration to keep the Spark under control anyway.

"You manipulate it just like any other piece of tech, but you have to be careful. The insides are volatile. One false move and the Spark can go critical. Very messy."

He twisted his hand and the Spark turned and spun in a circle, whipping around a rapidly degrading orbit until it was spinning on itself, like a mad top, never losing momentum until he clenched his fist and it came to an abrupt halt, pulsing a bright light. He waved his hand and the Spark flew off and into a pile of computer parts that was off in one corner. The pieces jumped and jerked, twitching and scraping against each other as they came together. Darren's eyes were narrowed on the moving jumble of parts, a bead of sweat rolling down the side of his face. What the amalgamation became was not a computer, but a short, squat robot. It had stubby limbs and two telescoping lenses for eyes. It looked right at Angel and waved.

"See, the spark can influence the pieces. It could have just come together and repaired the computer, but with a gentle nudge, it made...that."

The robot began wandering around the room, while Darren busied himself with removing another cube from a drawer on his desk.

"Here, you wanna try it? Your family wouldn't frown on it, would they?"

He grinned, raising a single eyebrow. Maybe she'd slip up again and let the cat all the way out of the bag.
 
She nodded her head as if she knew what he was talking about, still completely engrossed with the essence. She noted that you had to have alot of concentration and not let yourself get distracted in order to achieve what he was doing. Her eyes widened as he offered to let her try and narrowed her eyes.

He was hoping she'd screw up again, wasn't he? Nice try, buddy, she thought to herself before nodding her head.

"Sure, I'd love to and why would my family disapprove. They're dead." That wasn't letting too much out of the bag, was it? After all, just because your family was dead didn't mean you were the only one with dead relatives.

"So, how do I start again?" She leaned forward with a look of intrigue and a desire to learn.
 
Back
Top