My Favorite Quotes

re

Fate leads the willing and drags along the reluctant.
Seneca

Things never go so well that one should have no fear and never so ill that one should have no hope.

The world is full of willing people, some willing to work, the rest of us willing to let them.
Robert Frost

Leo Buscaglia

What we call the secret of happiness is no more a secret than our willingness to choose life.

If I read a book and it makes my whole body so cold no fire can ever warm me, I know that is poetry....

This has carried me through a lot.

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself to others you may become vain and bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your career however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself, especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture the strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. You have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore, be at peace with your God, whatever you conceive Him to be; and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul. With all its shams, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrman

re

Velvet that was great, where did you come across that one?

You've got to get up every morning with determination if you you're going to go to bed with satisfaction.
George Horace Lorimer
Some people work too hard, to be able to afford things they need to impress people they don't even like.

VelvetDarkness said:
This has carried me through a lot.

Desiderata

Go placidly amid the noise and the haste and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible, without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexatious to the spirit. If you compare yourself to others you may become vain and bitter, for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans. Keep interested in your career however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs, for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals and everywhere life is full of heroism. Be yourself, especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years gracefully surrendering the things of youth.

Nurture the strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars. You have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore, be at peace with your God, whatever you conceive Him to be; and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life, keep peace with your soul. With all its shams, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrman

Beautiful! Things I've learned over the yrs to be very true.

The person resolute in the Way must from the beginning never lose sight of it, whether in a place of calm or in a place of strife. Beware of clinging to quiet places and shunning those where there is disturbance.

Daikaku

Lose an hour in the morning, and you will be all day hunting for it.
:cool:

The human story does not always unfold like a mathematical calculation on the principle that two and two make four. Sometimes in life they make five or minus three; and sometimes the blackboard topples down in the middle of the sum and leaves the class in disorder and the pedagogue with a black eye. ~Winston Churchill

Usefulness is not impaired by imperfection. You can drink from a chipped cup.

We don't always want answers or advice. Sometimes we just want company....

When the train goes through a tunnel and the world gets dark, do you jump out?

Of course not. You sit still and trust the engineer to get you through.

May the grass grow at your door and the fox build his nest on your hearthstone. May the light fade from your eyes, so you never see what you love. May your own blood rise against you, and the sweetest drink you take be the bitterest cup of sorrow. May you die without benefit of clergy; May there be none to shed a tear at your grave, and may the hearthstone of hell be your best bed forever.

“We're born alone, we live alone, we die alone. Only through our love and friendship can we create the illusion for the moment that we're not alone.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Orson Welles

Alone he rides, alone,
The fair and fatal king:
Dark night is all his own,
That strange and solemn thing.

Laughter rises out of tragedy, when you need it the most, and rewards you for your courage.

~~~~~~~~~~~~Erma Bombeck:

Back