Pursued and Wooed - Closed for wombat9966

Connor waited until a time he was sure the family was sure to have finished their dinner before he rode up to the Walkers estate again. He left his horse with the groomsman and presented himself to the butler once again telling him he was here to see James tonight. Once again he was escorted to the anti-chamber before James himself came to fetch him.
"Ah Connor, I was beginning to wonder if you were coming."
"And miss the opportunity to beat you at chess as well James, I think not. I just did not want to intrude on your Families dinner again. It would seem to be the height of rudeness would it not?"
"I had not thought of that," James said pondering the situation. After all he was still only a youngster and did not know all the social graces yet. "I will have to remember that, still you are here now so let us see if you can back up your words."

Connor bowed to the young man and was led once again into the drawing room and the beautiful chess table. This time they pulled out exquisitely hand crafted chess pieces made from wood and stained a rich burgundy and teak. As they started Connor realized that James was no amateur and he settled into the rhythm of a good game. It had been awhile since he had been challenged but he soon had the upper hand and lured him into a trap and defeated him.
"A masterful stroke sir. I must remember the ploy. Another game?"
"Certainly. You are an excellent player."
"Ah I am but a novice compared to my sister. She is the true master in the house."
Connor smiled wide at this news and it was then he felt a presence behind him. Turning he noticed Amelia sitting in a chair in the corner observing their game. How had he not noticed her before? She had definitely not been in the room when they had walked in. Had he become so engrossed in the game that he had not heard her enter?

Standing up he bowed to her. "My lady a distinct pleasure to see you again." It was indeed as tonight she wore a beautiful but plain dress that showed off her bodies natural beauty. Connor was very impressed by what he saw.
 
“Good evening Mr. McGreggor. You were pretty engrossed in your game when I arrived.” Amelia stated.

Amelia had been watching them play and at first it seemed they were evenly matched but then Connor suddenly had James in checkmate within three moves. A very good ploy and one that Amelia herself had not seen before, but will definitely remember. Of course, Amelia wouldn’t have gotten herself in a corner like James had. He always retreated and forgot to advance when given the chance which was his biggest downfall.

“Well, you two enjoy your game. I will go back over here to my needlepoint and try not to bother you.”

Amelia went back to her chair, sat down and picked up her needlepoint.
 
Both Connor and James could hear the slight sound of disgust in her voice and after looking at James and receiving a slight nod of his head Connor headed over to her chair.
"My Lady would you do me the distinct honor of indulging me in a game?"

Connor was hoping she would accept as he was intrigued to find out just how skilled she was and also so he could sit and gaze at her beauty without arousing suspicion should anyone enter.

In the back of his mind was also a slight kernel of an idea of how he could turn this to his advantage, but he would have to wait and see how she played the game.
 
“I’m sorry but a lady does not play chess. It is a man’s game to teach him strategy.” Amelia replied.

“Amelia, that is crap and you know it! You are the one who taught me how to play the game since Dad was never around and when he was he never had time!” James exclaimed.

Amelia rolled her eyes and sighed. “Okay, I just don’t feel like playing, is that better?”

“Oh, right, you would much rather sit here and do your beautiful needlepoint,” James said sarcastically. “You and I both know how much you hate needlepoint. What is it you are making?” James picked up her needlepoint and held it up. “What is this supposed to be?”

The stitches were uneven and if there was a picture there it was hard to figure out. You could see lots of colors, but no real shape to anything. Amelia grabbed it back and rolled it into a ball and put it behind her.

“Okay, so I am not very good at needlepoint! That doesn’t mean I will play chess!”
 
Connor winked at James and then began to talk to him.
"That is okay James, I know you were only sticking up for your sister and that she is only probably good for a woman. After all whoever heard of a woman being able to comprehend the finer points of strategy. Obviously this is why she is refusing to play against me as she is used to you letting her win, " By this time James was having a hard time keeping a straight face as he saw his sister's face getting redder and redder with rage. "Well James shall we play again as there is no one else here that could possibly offer me a decent challenge."

Connor sat down and began to set up his pieces, deliberately choosing black. Turning his head slightly he saw Amelia standing by her seat still. "Oh Amelia could you please be a good little woman and get the men a drink, there's a good woman. After all that is what is expected of you is it not?"
Swiveling back to James he whispered, "Do you think I went to far?"
 
Amelia was fuming! How dare he imply that she not be able to comprehend chess! If it wasn’t for her James would still be calling the knight, the horse! She could be James any day of the week, sure he has improved, but not beyond her abilities. And if that was Connor’s best game then she would have no problems beating him either!

Amelia stormed over next to Connor’s chair, “If you want a drink you can get it yourself or call for a servant.”

She looked at James, “Move, I am going to teach this heathen how a WOMAN plays chess!" James got out of his chair quickly and Amelia sat down and put her pieces in order.

“If you want that drink I suggest you get it now, because once this starts you may want to leave with your tail between your legs,” Amelia glared at Connor.
 
Connor smiled across at Amelia. "Oh did I say something about a drink. I thought I was trying to get a reluctant Lady to show me what she was really capable of rather than hiding in the shadows. Seems I won. So shall we say the first match was mine and move on to the second," he indicated the chess board. "I have even given myself the black pieces as a handicap. I wouldn't want you to cry foul when you are beaten again."

Connor knew what he was doing, but it did not look like Amelia did. He was keeping her off guard and angry, forcing her to react to him and putting her off her game already. She would probably attack him forcefully now, looking to wipe him out quickly and show him just how good she was. Of course he knew plenty of strategies to combat just such a ploy. After all she may have been playing for maybe ten or even fifteen years, but he had been playing for hundreds of years and had challenged Masters of the game.

His smile and comments were tools in the bigger game and at that she was loosing. He wondered if she would be able to recover.
"Well my dear Lady the opening move is yours. Are you sure you don't need me to go over the rules with you? No, then shall we begin?"
 
Amelia looked at him, listened to his words and realized he was trying to get under her skin. He thinks her a dumb girl who is unable to figure out what he is doing. She would play along and pretend he has her still upset. She would make some moves that may seem like they are erratic and just made out of anger. He had almost lured her in with his words, but she was lucky enough to have learned all about strategy and planning by sneaking into her father’s study when he was away and reading his books. Amelia made her next move and made sure to bite on her bottom lip so she looked like she was worried. He was a pretty good player, but if this is his best then she will be winning in the end, but she had a feeling he was toying with her, trying to lure her in, but she wasn’t making the moves she knows he was expecting. She glanced at James and saw him smiling. He was enjoying watching the minds try to counteract each other. She could see that Connor was not ready for someone with her ability. He has had to rethink some of his moves as she has had to rethink some of hers. It seems that they are very evenly matched and this could make for a long night.
 
The game had started as Connor had predicted but then he noticed that her moves were too well thought out and that she was not as angry as she pretended to be. Changing his strategy he tried a new form and again she matched it although with a little hesitancy. She probably expected a trap which it was but that was much further along. Connor was happy. She was now trying to trick him with fake body messages, useless against a Vampire that could hear and see the heartbeat of it's opponent and know how they actually were feeling. Who could see the sweat on their brow or the nervous tightening of the jaw. Connor could see that Amelia was enjoying herself as well. He was almost done gauging her strengths and weaknesses. He had only to try one more foray and then the real game would begin in earnest. He decided to make it interesting and see how she would react to loosing her Queen. Most players hated it but Connor never did. He set up a Queen exchange and as the board was tactically even he wondered what she would do.Go for it or move to safety?
 
Amelia saw what Connor was doing and what wondering what he was up to? Did he think her one of those novice players who couldn’t succeed without their queen? Her father taught her when she was young that she shouldn’t depend on the queen, that the other pieces if used correctly could be very successful in defeating your opponent. Amelia didn’t mind sacrificing her queen since she didn’t plan on using her when going in for the final kill anyway. She let him take the queen which then set her up for a strong offense move and put him in check. She did not sit back and gloat because she knew that Connor was a strong player and would have a defense at the ready.
 
Connor almost laughed with happiness. Finally he had met an opponent who was not only willing to take risks but who could think more than two moves ahead. It had been such a long time since he had played anyone of her caliber that he was almost buzzing with joy. At the moment he looked in a bad way but he could turn it around in three moves and have her defeated in fourteen. The question was did he want to? He could draw the game out to a stalemate conclusion and they would be forced to play again or he could win in another 30 moves or indeed he could let her win. She was in a strong enough position to do so without causing her to think he had deliberately thrown the match.

Shaking his head he knew this was the wrong way to think. She would know, she was that talented and she would hate him for it. No the right play here was to show her some of his true skill. He put his Fourteen move plan into action. Skillfully he moved out of check and began to lay his trap. "Your move Amelia."
 
Amelia continued to stay on the offensive, putting Connor into check often. In the blink of an eye Connor took over the offensive and Amelia had to fall back and go on the defensive. He put her in check twice before she started to take control back again. This went back and forth a few times before Connor finally put her in checkmate.

“You are a very good player!” Amelia exclaimed. “You thought for a brief second about letting me win, didn’t you? Thank you for respecting me enough to play your full ability!”

Amelia stood up, “Thank you for the game. Good evening.”
 
Connor stood up and bowed over her hand again.
"Miss Amelia if I may be so bold, it was a distinct pleasure to play against you tonight. It is rare to find a mind such as yours. I would like to take you out to dinner tomorrow night and perhaps we could get to know each other a little better. I hope you know I did not believe or mean a single word of what I said earlier, it was but a ploy to get a reluctant lady to play against me."

Connor hoped she would take him up on his offer but was prepared for her to turn him down flat. After all she had known him for all of two days and knew next to nothing about him, but he could not deny his growing attraction to this woman. Not only was she beautiful but she had a formidable mind behind her eyes.
 
“I knew you were trying to bait me so I would not be able to concentrate. My father taught me to play chess. He wasn’t out to sea as much when I was younger as he is now. He did not take it easy on me just because I am girl. He was relentless and drove me to be a great chess player just to prove to him I could understand the game and be great at it. My happiest moment was the first time I ever beat him! Thank you for being just as relentless.”

“As much as I would love to accept your invitation to dinner, it is my father you have to ask. I have promised myself to try and not embarrass him anymore before we leave and since we are only days away from embarking I am hoping I can keep that promise. He will want us to have a chaperone also.”

Amelia wouldn’t be surprised if Connor changed his mind. It is a lot of effort to put into just to go out to dinner with a person he won’t even be seeing again in a few days. Her hand was still in his as he hadn’t let it go yet. Amelia could feel herself blushing with the knowledge of how good it felt having him holding her hand. Why did she have to meet such a guy who seemed to understand her just days before she had to leave?
 
"Well then My Dear it is to your father I shall go immediately. We have little time to waste with you leaving soon, so I will ask you James if you will agree to be our chaperone. I believe your father will have no objections to the choice and even at this late date he may approve of our going out."

James nodded his approval to both him and Amelia. "I do believe I have nothing planned tomorrow evening Sir and I would be happy to assist you in your endeavor. I believe father is in the sun room with mother. They often go there at night to observe the stars and talk together over tea."

"Then if you would be so kind as to take me too them I would ask your fathers permission right now." James nodded and led Connor towards the room with Amelia in tow. He knocked on the door and at a muffled "come in" he led all three of them in.

"Father, Mother, Connor has something he wishes to ask of you."

"Sir, Madam, I know this is a bit soon but what with your travel plans I believe I must be a bit forward. I would like to take your daughter out to dinner tomorrow and then dancing if I may. I have already asked James to accompany us to assure that she is treated like a Lady should be and he has agreed. What I would like now is both of your blessings."
 
Amelia followed Connor and James to the sun room realizing there was no way out of this even if she wanted out, which she didn’t. As she heard Connor asking permission to take her to dinner, she thought about the dream she had last night where Connor had kissed her. It was a lovely kiss, not too hard and not too soft, like he was being careful because he didn’t want to scare her; she hadn’t wanted to wake up from that dream.

“What? I’m sorry, what did you say father?” Amelia stammered having been caught daydreaming.

“I asked if you wanted to go out to dinner with Mr. McGreggor tomorrow evening and take James along as your escort?” her father asked her.

“Oh, yes, sure, I mean I would be honored to accompany Mr. McGreggor to dinner tomorrow evening.” Amelia agreed.

“Then it is settled. What time will you be arriving so they can both be ready? Also, I would like to know where you are going and about how long you plan to be out. I don’t want it to be too late as we leave in three days and there is still a lot of packing to do.” Admiral Walker stated.

Amelia and James looked at each other puzzled because they knew that they weren’t doing any of the packing, the staff was doing it all. Also, they would not be taking everything with them, a lot of it was going to be shipped over a week later. Amelia peeked a glance at Connor to see what his reaction was to her father’s comments.
 
"I totally understand Admiral and I promise I will not keep them out too late. I propose to pick them up a little earlier then, let us say six in the evening. We will dine at the Royal hotel before going to the Paladium to dance. We should be back here by 10 at the latest. I hope that is not too late for you sir. Perhaps I can even arrange for my cousin to accompany us so James will not feel like a third wheel. She is only in town for a few weeks and has not had a chance to meet anyone yet. James would actually be doing me a great service as she is always asking me to take her out on the town and this being one of my only free evenings I would hate to disappoint her again."

Connor smiled at the Admiral. "Of course I will pick them up in my carriage and return them as well. Amelia will be under my protection the entire time she is in my care and will never be out of my sight and I promise you sir I will act as a proper gentleman should."

"Now that you know the details I am afraid it is getting late and I must return to my own residence to see to the preparations for tomorrow." Connor bowed politely to the Admiral then kissed his wife's hand. Turning he shook James's hand and again took Amelia's hand and kissed it without lingering. "Until tomorrow my dear."

James walked with him to the front door where a stable boy had brought his horse.
"So this cousin of yours, she is cute of course?"
"Do not worry James, I am sure you will be pleased," laughed Connor as he waved and trotted off.
 
“Amelia, let us go upstairs and see what you have to wear for tomorrow evening! I hope Mary hasn’t packed all your good dresses yet!” said her mother.

Amelia followed her mother up the steps and into her room, she was in a daze that she was actually going on a date with a guy whom she liked! Why did he have to show up right before they were to be leaving, nothing will become of this! Amelia’s mother was holding up dresses and looking them over. She put them in two piles, ones that would not be suitable and ones that would be suitable. So far there were only two dresses in the suitable pile. One as a pink dress which Amelia hated and the other was a deep green with a low neckline and so far Amelia had not been able to wear it. It had been made for her to have a nice dress for America, but it looks like her mother has approved an early wearing. Amelia went over and picked it up.

“Mother, stop, this is the dress I want to wear, this and only this dress!” Amelia exclaimed.

“Okay, the green one it is! It will make your eyes sparkle! I am sure Connor will be enchanted when he sees you in this dress,” said her mother.

They put the green dress to the side and put all the other dresses away. Amelia got ready for bed and fell asleep quickly despite how excited she was.

Amelia woke the next day and found things to do so she wouldn’t keep watching the clock! Finally, at 4pm, she went upstairs to get ready for her date. She washed and put on her undergarments. She chose the silky ones as opposed to the normal cotton ones, she wanted to feel nice as well as look nice. She had brushed her hair and was letting it dry as she applied some makeup with a light hand so her father wouldn’t make her go back and wash it off. She decided to put her hair up and just have a few tendrils framing her face. Her maid helped her into her dress, it fit perfectly. It clung to her waist, pushed up her breasts so they were shown off in all their magnificence, and wasn’t quite as full as her other dresses. It only required one underskirt, which meant it would be much easier to sit down. She put on a pair of soft green slippers and waited until someone came to get her. Her mother told her to stay in her room and not be downstairs waiting, that way she could make an entrance.
 
Connor had prepared himself well for the evening ahead. He had checked that the night was gloomy enough to be able to indeed take his 'Cousin'. He had selected one of his well educated ghouls for the part. She had been with him for several years now and was very smart and very beautiful. Connor did not know how other vampires treated their Ghouls but he treated his well. He only had a few at a time and used them as his closest servants. He fed off them only when he had too and only enough to slake his thirst and always gently. He allowed them free reign to do what they wanted at other times but most stayed with him because of his excellent nature.

His 'Cousins' name was Beatrice and he dressed her in a pale blue ball gown that was not too fancy but would not look out of place where they were going. He did not wish to show Amelia up at all tonight. She was to be the star of the evening. He himself wore a elegant dark blue suit with a white shirt. He had played it safe, Dark blue going with most other colors. He grabbed his gloves, cane and top hat and escorted Beatrice to his carriage. They left his house in plenty of time to arrive at the Admirals at 6 o'clock.

At 5 to 6 they pulled into the drive and were soon at the door. Connor knocked and it opened almost immediately and he was escorted to the foot of the grand staircase. He introduced Beatrice to everyone and especially to James who looked delighted at his choice of companion and moved to her side and took possession of her arm gracefully. Connor however was more interested in Amelia's whereabouts but that was soon solved as a vision in green appeared at the top of the staircase. His heart skipped a beat and he looked on in appreciation as she waited until all eyes were upon her. This woman knew how to work a room.
 
Amelia paused at the top of the steps and waited until all were looking at her. She smiled, nodded and then started to descend the stairs. As she stepped off the last step, Connor took her hand and she almost lost her footing. Connor was quick and caught her with his other hand on her waist. Amelia put her hand on his shoulder and looked into his eyes as she blushed from embarrassment.

“So much for my grand entrance,” Amelia joked to try and cover her embarrassment. “Thank you for catching me so I didn’t fall on my face.”
 
" Why my dear I couldn't let that magnificent entrance go to waste now could I. Besides if you injured yourself our date may be called off and I would be devastated if that happened," he smiled at her.
He guided her over to her parents and after the usual pleasantries and assurances of their arrival time back they left. He helped her into his enclosed carriage and James helped Beatrice then the two men hopped in and the carriage began it's journey to the Royal.

The inside of the carriage was luxuriously lined and upholstered and the carriage itself was sprung well so the occupants hardly felt anything as they moved along. James and Beatrice seemed to hit it off and were soon talking amongst themselves ignoring the two of them.
"Well It seems as if my cousin has found a kindred spirit. I am glad. She has been pining away in the city bereft of company. My duties have kept me away from showing her around and I am glad your brother was kind enough to agree to this date."

Smiling at her again he gazed into her eyes. "But enough about them. You look absolutely stunning tonight Amelia. I do believe I will be the luckiest man in any room tonight to have you on my arm. I want you to know that tonight you may order anything you want. Think of it as my going away present for you and your brother, although I am seriously thinking about something that may change that. But enough about that. Tonight is about Food, Wine and Dancing. We will have fun and I will have you home in time so I can remain in your Father's good graces."
 
Last edited:
Amelia smiled at Connor. She had a feeling this would be a night she would remember for a long time. As the carriage turned it pressed her against Connor, she put her hand on his thigh to steady herself and then quickly removed it.

“Oh, I am so sorry, I didn’t mean to…” she stuttered as she blushed.
 
Connor reached over and grabbed her hand gently, cradling it in his. "Oh I think I can forgive you for that my dear, if you will forgive me for holding your hand so no more accidents occur," he grinned.

The ride into town was delightful with them talking about little things but getting to know each other a little bit better. By the time they pulled up in front of the Royal they were more comfortable with each other. Connor stepped out and then helped Amelia to get out. He left his hand on her waist a few seconds longer than were actually needed then offered her his arm to escort her in. They were led to their table straight away and the waiter took his and James's hat,gloves and cane, and the ladies wraps.

They were presented with the menus and Connor ordered a bottle of Champagne for the table. "Only one tonight I think. We have dancing to do later." He looked at the menu and was pleased at the selection. Duck, steak, beef, pork, fish, chicken all done in interesting ways. The Royal lived up to it's reputation. He would be having a rare steak of course eith wild mushrooms, seasonal vegetables and gravy. "Now please, remember to order whatever you wish. Tonight is my treat."
 
Amelia was in awe when she walked in the Royal. The tables were all arranged against the wall so they were private. The middle of the floor was empty for dancing with an amazing crystal chandelier hanging over the middle of it. There was a band off to the right hand side of the room, back in the corner area, and they were playing softy so people could eat and talk. Later they would kick it up for the dancing to commence. Amelia was so excited and nervous about being here!

As she sat down at the table she began to look at the menu that was handed to them. She was unsure what to order since it all sounded so good! She decided to order the chicken pie as it sounded delicious. She smiled at Connor as he poured her some champagne. She took a sip as she looked around the room again.

“Oh, it tickles,” she said. “This place is amazing! Thank you so much for bringing us here!”
 
"The pleasure is all mine Amelia. It is not often I get to go out with such fine company. Now let us enjoy ourselves with a good meal and some dancing afterwards. If we are lucky all the dances will be slow and we can really enjoy them," he chuckled.

He called the waiter over and ordered his rare steak while the others ordered their meals as well, then he settled back into his chair."So tell me Amelia how do you feel about going to live in America? I hear it is a vastly different land to this one, filled with adventure and new cultures to explore?"
 
Back
Top