Don't text and drive! A message from Werner Herzog.

Does it have Herzog doing a voiceover in that goofy german-accented english like all his movies..."ve vere in de jungle for six months filming the texting drivers...kinski und i vere at each others throats..."

Scooped!

Not this time. And no grizzlies were fed during the filming of this documentary. He let the subjects do all of the talking.

Oh, I think the grizzlies did all the talking in his other one. They got their point across loud and clear.

Very well done, like all Herzog's work, but I was also disappointed there was no charmingly-accented voiceover. I don't know how effective it will be. It's artful and short enough to be shown in classrooms, but I've read about driving courses where they'll have the students try to navigate obstacles while texting and they're shocked at how terribly they performed. I like the practicality and immediacy of that more than a video.

I don't really know how people got the idea in the first place. It has NEVER crossed my mind to send a text while driving. And now people are posting Vines of themselves behind the wheel, and they're shared and linked and liked and loved and it just makes me want to strangle the internet.

Public Service Announcement

The idiot texter-drivers (and cell phone yappers and distracted drivers) threaten to make me a victim of their stupidity.

If they do, I have promised to rise from the dead and cut off their testicles/clitoris very slowly with a rusty fork.

I like Billy Joel. I have many of his songs on my phone. He's no Manilow but I can't hold that against him.

Very well done, like all Herzog's work, but I was also disappointed there was no charmingly-accented voiceover. I don't know how effective it will be. It's artful and short enough to be shown in classrooms, but I've read about driving courses where they'll have the students try to navigate obstacles while texting and they're shocked at how terribly they performed. I like the practicality and immediacy of that more than a video.

I'm always amazed by the genuinely unironic earnestness of Werner Herzog. Like with this PSA. He honestly and completely believes he's helping out. The Gen Xer in me rolls her eyes, but the rest of me is charmed.

Does it have Herzog doing a voiceover in that goofy german-accented english like all his movies..."ve vere in de jungle for six months filming the texting drivers...kinski und i vere at each others throats..."

"Alzo I pehsonally tink dat we are ol doomt, dere are still some tings in da worlt dat we can do before we ahl die and slide into dat final void of despair. Like not texting."

your herzog imitation>mine, reebles

Score!

The dude is riveting. Even if he's not always sure why but he's going to go with it anyway. It's like watching a person cut in half whose vital organs are still pumping and brain is still functioning. It's awesome.

The closest I've come to dying in the past three years (other than dying of boredom from reading Byron's indeterminable screeds on just how smart he is) was when I was driving next to a car that was swerving literally all over the road. I honestly thought the guy was drunk but as I passed him I noticed he was texting and driving at 60 mph.

I don't really know how people got the idea in the first place. It has NEVER crossed my mind to send a text while driving. And now people are posting Vines of themselves behind the wheel, and they're shared and linked and liked and loved and it just makes me want to strangle the internet.

Of course it never occurred to you to text and drive, because you're a smart, thoughtful and beautiful human being. The smart part in particular though.

I tend to agree with you about its effectiveness. Texting is so common that most people will persist in thinking that they will continue to be the exception.

His driving, the fact that Elton John thinks he's over the top, We Didn't Start The Fire.

Allow me to correct my original statement. There is absolutely nothing wrong with Billy Joel, that blasting "It's Still Rock & Roll To Me" won't resolve. (Launched your Car into someone's living room? Welcome back to the age of jive, sister!)

The closest I've come to dying in the past three years (other than dying of boredom from reading Byron's indeterminable screeds on just how smart he is) was when I was driving next to a car that was swerving literally all over the road. I honestly thought the guy was drunk but as I passed him I noticed he was texting and driving at 60 mph.

It's like driving blindfolded.

Back