Tolyk's Gallery

Wow, amazing Tolyk! I never saw the bison one before.

I go to Yellowstone and other National Parks a lot and they run free there. I've camped beside a bison herd (didn't know it until they were breathing next to my tent). I wouldn't want to get too close! What lens did you use?

I used a 400mm lens, with a crop sensor camera, so was pretty tight. Wanted to see if I could look up his nose :p
 
I thought I had commented before on this fine image. I visited a Bison Farm in the South of England a few years ago. They had a Bison head on the wall in their reception, it's amazing how thick their hair is on their forehead. You can bury your hand in it.
Can't say I've experienced that. I've only seen them from a respectable distance, or at the zoo. No heads :p

I think I commented on that panorama shot of the mountain range, but the stream/river shot is quite lovely. And that bison up close and personal shot is something else. I don't know how domesticated (zoo) bison act, but I imagine you used a telephoto lens. I believe bison are similar to a bull as the easiest place to hide from a bull is point blank in front of them (they cant see whats directly ahead of them).

Not sure if Bison see in the same manner as a bull or not, this one was busy eating and standing right in a patch of light, so grabbed a few frames of him. I liked this shot the best.
 
Not sure if Bison see in the same manner as a bull or not, this one was busy eating and standing right in a patch of light, so grabbed a few frames of him. I liked this shot the best.

My understanding is that all creatures with eyes on the side of their head, have a certain amount of blind spot. This is why birds tend to cock their head at a jaunty angle or turn their head sideways showing you only one eye; they aren't looking away, they are looking directly at you when they do that.

While some creatures with eyes on the sides of their heads, have a slight angle to reduce the forward blind spot, others' eyes are straight and square, like a bull.

There will be a test on this later...
 
Well, here's a new one I took of the city skyline on Remembrance Day (just got around to processing and stitching it this week)
 
Last edited:
Well, here's a new one I took of the city skyline on Remembrance Day (just got around to processing and stitching it this week)

30691824013_b54ccd1e2d_h.jpg

Not my choice of subject, but Impressive nevertheless.
 
My understanding is that all creatures with eyes on the side of their head, have a certain amount of blind spot. This is why birds tend to cock their head at a jaunty angle or turn their head sideways showing you only one eye; they aren't looking away, they are looking directly at you when they do that.

While some creatures with eyes on the sides of their heads, have a slight angle to reduce the forward blind spot, others' eyes are straight and square, like a bull.

There will be a test on this later...

Lots of animals have limited binocular vision. They have a blind spot directly behind their bodies, and directly in front of their face. That's why you never run up behind a prey animal, they WILL spook. Best to approach slowly and from one side, they will turn their heads to get a better look at you If they want.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/media/pet/figures/HRS_vision_range.gif

Did I pass the test?!
 
Bumping for bumpage sake... Hoping to get out and get some new shots soon. Injury is in the mend. Just need the weather to cooperate during my down time
 
Blah. Take a bath tonight and just soak/relax.

Not a bad plan, but we have company joining us for dinner.

Tomorrow, I join my lawyer and get asked a bunch of useless questions about the woman who rear ended me at a red light... Hopefully get a settlement offer that is reasonable afterwards. Since you know, as a passenger, in a vehicle that was hit at a red light, I have a pretty strong case.
 
So, j got out during the tail end of winter, did a bit of different stuff than my usual... I brought my telephoto lens.
 
Last edited:
Xxo! Subbing. Do you have any sunrises? That is my favorite time of day :)
 
Back
Top