What are you reading at the moment?

I will judge by how it is written, usually you know within the first few para's whether or not it is worth reading :)

As an amateur writer and a book reader, I have to disagree. Sometimes the opening paragraphs can be "cryptic" as in breaking into a story from almost any where from within the full plot, and later bringing everything together so it makes sense as the whole story unfolds. I think a book or story is worth atleast the first chapter read before deciding whether it is good or bad.

:)

As an amateur writer and a book reader, I have to disagree. Sometimes the opening paragraphs can be "cryptic" as in breaking into a story from almost any where from within the full plot, and later bringing everything together so it makes sense as the whole story unfolds. I think a book or story is worth atleast the first chapter read before deciding whether it is good or bad.

From the opening para's you can judge the writer's style.

From the opening para's you can judge the writer's style.

Yes, good point. But only if you are not familiar with the author and you are looking for a particular style. However, I think styles can vary with one author depending on how they wish to portray the story. There are styles for comedy, romance, fantasy and even erotica and sci-fi, and one author can change their style to suit each genre.

I'd tend to agree. There have been a couple of novels I've read where I got couldn't get into it, got stuck, put it down, came back a few months later and tried again. Same result. Third time round I got past the blockage and then couldn't put them down from then on to the end.

I'd tend to agree. There have been a couple of novels I've read where I got couldn't get into it, got stuck, put it down, came back a few months later and tried again. Same result. Third time round I got past the blockage and then couldn't put them down from then on to the end.

As a busy person who has little time to read I want to cream the words, live the story. If the author fails to transport me into their created world then it's time to find another.

A reader can adapt to style after so many attempts. I found the same situation with DH Lawrence novels. Once I had read the first, I became familiar with his style and the others just became much easier to read.

Female Dominance: Rituals and Practices by Claudia Verrin- what? I'm curious :D

Female Dominance: Rituals and Practices by Claudia Verrin- what? I'm curious :D

And the "Customers who bought this item also bought..." pane on the Amazon page for this book gives one even more to be curious about.
Like "Family Jewels: A Guide to Male Genital Play and Torment" :eek:

Hi there, MollyDolly. Long time no type. How are the studies going?

A reader can adapt to style after so many attempts. I found the same situation with DH Lawrence novels. Once I had read the first, I became familiar with his style and the others just became much easier to read.
Assuming that the reader has the patience of a saint and the all the time in the world to read every book ever written.
No, they move on, time is precious, do we spend time with every man we meet and think that there is something more deeper?

Assuming that the reader has the patience of a saint and the all the time in the world to read every book ever written.
No, they move on, time is precious, do we spend time with every man we meet and think that there is something more deeper?

:D

Reading a book is like watching a movie or a play, only with more attention and imagination. I fail to see what that has to do with dating a man and wondering if he suits your emotions or not?

Books can be read inbetween tasks, during meal breaks or a few quiet hours, over a few days depending on the readers pace and time availability. If I was you, then I would stick with movies, TV serials and live performance theatre plays.

:D

Reading a book is like watching a movie or a play, only with more attention and imagination. I fail to see what that has to do with dating a man and wondering if he suits your emotions or not?

Books can be read inbetween tasks, during meal breaks or a few quiet hours, over a few days depending on the readers pace and time availability. If I was you, then I would stick with movies, TV serials and live performance theatre plays.

Good debate, we will continue :)
Night night :rose:
I:heart:YOU

And the "Customers who bought this item also bought..." pane on the Amazon page for this book gives one even more to be curious about.
Like "Family Jewels: A Guide to Male Genital Play and Torment" :eek:

Hi there, MollyDolly. Long time no type. How are the studies going?
*laughs* Bargain book at the uni bookstore :D

I'm enjoying a two-week break from classes that ends Monday- then I start my Gender Ethics and Sexuality philosophy course :D Sounds like it'll be interesting!

*laughs* Bargain book at the uni bookstore :D

I'm enjoying a two-week break from classes that ends Monday- then I start my Gender Ethics and Sexuality philosophy course :D Sounds like it'll be interesting!

Ethics? Isn't that a county east of London? :D

The Complete Poems and Songs of Robert Burns.

I've never actually read the complete set

(embarassed grin)

But I can boast that my ancestors came from the exact same parish (Glenbervie, northeast Scotland) as Burns' grandparents did. In fact my fives times great grandfather is buried about ten yards from them. (Though he doesn't have a fancy surround and railing put there by an appreciation society.) In a small parish it's likely they knew each other.

"Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy"

A young children's classic. Bought it this afternoon for my nephew's birthday, and couldn't resist reading it once more before wrapping it up!

14 lines, shorter than some sigs, so I post the full poem...

The Caged Skylark
Gerald Manley Hopkins

AS a dare-gale skylark scanted in a dull cage
Man's mounting spirit in his bone-house, mean house, dwells --
That bird beyond the remembering his free fells;
This in drudgery, day-labouring-out life's age.

Though aloft on turf or perch or poor low stage,
Both sing sometímes the sweetest, sweetest spells,
Yet both droop deadly sómetimes in their cells
Or wring their barriers in bursts of fear or rage.

Not that the sweet-fowl, song-fowl, needs no rest --
Why, hear him, hear him babble and drop down to his nest,
But his own nest, wild nest, no prison.

Man's spirit will be flesh-bound when found at best,
But uncumbered: meadow-down is not distressed
For a rainbow footing it nor he for his bónes rísen.

==========================================

To Fool for the style, to W for the passion

Back