My Safe Place Thread

Pay mechanics to do the repair type stuff. Maintenance like brakes and oil/plug changes do yourself. Then you have some extra cash to pay for repair type things.

I have the money and know how to budget, ta. I'll type slow so you might better understand.

Often, mechanics will try to get more money out of women because they think we're none the wiser. Which is exactly what happened to me yesterday. One mechanic quoted 500, the next 700. The cunts try to rip us off. It's shit and it happens all the bloody time.

Anyway rant over.

That's the reason I pay my mechanic to do most of the stuff that he does. I'd rather spend my time doing something else. Although, once upon a time, I didn't have that choice to make.

Exactly. I don't mind the little jobs but ugh. Shes a hard road finding a fair mechanic.

Exactly. I don't mind the little jobs but ugh. Shes a hard road finding a fair mechanic.

Indeed. I have a general guy and a guy for my old land cruiser for items that I don't want to do. They were tough to find, but I trust them.

Still, I do odds and ends on the vehicles. A water pump on the cruiser (because Toyota diesels aren't common here in the US). Odd electrics on the Subaru. etc.

I need to borrow your shop for a few years.

I dont even want to loan my uncles shed. It gets to the point of 5 varieties of calipers in the same size dating from the 20's.

More to the point, I hope when he dies, I dont have to clear it out.

When I moved last August, the bulk was tools and books.... Damn! I cannot seem to downsize either collection in any meaningful way, :(

I have the money and know how to budget, ta. I'll type slow so you might better understand.

Often, mechanics will try to get more money out of women because they think we're none the wiser. Which is exactly what happened to me yesterday. One mechanic quoted 500, the next 700. The cunts try to rip us off. It's shit and it happens all the bloody time.

Anyway rant over.

My comment wasn't directed at you. I might have quoted you if it was. Just a general comment. My apologies.

There are so many folk who will spend hundreds and hundreds on maintenance that can be done in a driveway on a Saturday morning. Yes, our time has value but is a Saturday morning worth all that much? Brake pads and an oil change done before breakfast with a bit of practice. Motorcyclist who take their ride in for a tune up just disgust me!

Nothing wrong with a bit of personal austerity. Make a good example for the kids and politicians.

I admit I'm a tad judgemental. I might rate a person by their level of tool ownership and use. Sorry.

My comment wasn't directed at you. I might have quoted you if it was. Just a general comment. My apologies.

There are so many folk who will spend hundreds and hundreds on maintenance that can be done in a driveway on a Saturday morning. Yes, our time has value but is a Saturday morning worth all that much? Brake pads and an oil change done before breakfast with a bit of practice. Motorcyclist who take their ride in for a tune up just disgust me!

Nothing wrong with a bit of personal austerity. Make a good example for the kids and politicians.

I admit I'm a tad judgemental. I might rate a person by their level of tool ownership and use. Sorry.

That's the thing though. I don't care about your apology. It doesn't mean anything. All I want is a fair price.

My Saturday mornings are spent at netball with my daughter, so yes. My time is worth that much.

I don't think it disgusting to pay someone to maintain your motor vehicles -You don't know what people are doing with their lives or their time, so it's best not to be disgusted and instead try better understanding.

Kate threads OTOH? I always make time for. Because she is awesome. Defs would bang.

Indeed. I have a general guy and a guy for my old land cruiser for items that I don't want to do. They were tough to find, but I trust them.

Still, I do odds and ends on the vehicles. A water pump on the cruiser (because Toyota diesels aren't common here in the US). Odd electrics on the Subaru. etc.

Just had the water pump done. Had to have her towed to him. I'm with NRMA so I pay an annual fee. But dont ask how much it cost to relace and fit.

Me mate has a defender. His wife prefers the land crusiser because she is short and it's easier for her to get into she reckons. Plus, it's more "modern". :D

You can't bloody win mate.

Anything greasy or oily is not welcome in my new shop.

b-b-but

559bfb96387f7_512.gif

oil-and-boobs.gif

oil-time.gif

"Tally-Ho and Tribulation"
by Stephen Budiansky

...There are few sports in which image and reality are as far apart as they are in fox hunting. The literature of fox hunting is all noisy insider's bluster; the public spectacle is all anachronism and pomp; the politics (here in America less so, but ineluctably in animal-loving and class-resentful Britain) is all about privilege and cruelty. The reality is none of these things. Fox hunting is essentially an inner struggle against dashed hopes...

...drive out of Washington, D.C., for about an hour in a westerly or northwesterly direction and start prowling around what's left of the countryside, and you'll see coops punctuating the fence lines of fields that used to be full of cows and sometimes still are (though at least where I live, outside Washington, they're as likely these days to be full of 6,000-square-foot houses built in the Tudor Norman Brick Colonial Tara architectural style)...

http://www.budiansky.com/Tally-Ho.html

ht tp://www.budiansky.com/Tally-Ho.html

(The irony being that Budiansky is, of course, one of those people who are directly responsible for the destruction of what was once beautiful countryside and the environmental nightmare that is Washington, D.C.)

Just had the water pump done. Had to have her towed to him. I'm with NRMA so I pay an annual fee. But dont ask how much it cost to relace and fit.

Me mate has a defender. His wife prefers the land crusiser because she is short and it's easier for her to get into she reckons. Plus, it's more "modern". :D

You can't bloody win mate.

Indeed!

My cruiser is not one for the soccer moms to drive to the mall. Even I have to climb up into it. As much as I like the newer models, I do not want to afford one. In the US, Toyota does not sell the utility version which is more to my taste.

zumi- banned - not his own boobs in his pics.

girlsmiley - banned, arguing about car repairs.

cheffie - I got rid of over 4000 books in my last major move. also got rid of all of my CDs and the old cd players and stereo speakers and all the shite from the 80s and 90s when that was the way to play music.

I still have a cd player with an am/fm radio that sits around just in case the world ends and somehow NPR survives.

Back