Hint Fiction

Modern Shakespeare

I'm saying it ain't stars, it's our fault: we're just lousy underlings. Now the guy's dead and we're on the run?

Run on this, Brutus.



Word Count Tool
 
Last edited:
Flicking through photographs of summer sun and flowers, hard to imagine the morass outside my window is the same place and it will come again.
 
Hold steady my beautiful tree. I guarded your trunk from the saw with my own. Only your roots grasping the sodden earth hold you now.
 
Modern GWTW

Good Lord they've burned Atlanta, Bonnie's dead and I'll never have Ashley. You don't give a damn and I...ooh look at those green curtains.
 
Dinner for one

A lovely evening dinner, exactly as I asked. Lobster tail, shrimp, apple pie, ice cream.

The priest prays; I walk the row one last time.
 
Tokyo in Ruins

We always went to the drive-in in Nancy’s car. I sat in the middle, Lisa outboard, so that I could kiss them both.

Yeah. Godzilla.
 
Modern GWTW

Good Lord they've burned Atlanta, Bonnie's dead and I'll never have Ashley. You don't give a damn and I...ooh look at those green curtains.
There have been a lot of really, really good responses to my prompt, but this is the funniest one.

Mr. eyez is lucky that I am happily married, else I would come looking for you, m'dear.

Not that, of course, I'd have chance of supplanting him in your affections. Nor would I want to.

But that is funny. Well, to me.
 
Tzara

I was glad to see this thread, as I'm a fan of hint fiction. I believe the term was coined by writer Robert Swartwood, who defines the genre this way: hint fiction (n) : a story of 25 words or fewer that suggests a larger, more complex story.

I think my favorite example of hint fiction was written by Ernest Hemingway:

“For sale: baby shoes, never worn.”
 
One wonders at your crime :eek: >>>>>>>>>> runs!!

Haha. With the last two I was experimenting with twists; I feel it's an important element (to make the prose interesting, even at this length), but I can't quite capture it yet, and I think my first one was more poetic. And then there are theognis' examples to consider, which are really, really short and still manage to set up a complete scene...

I liked this one:

Hold steady my beautiful tree. I guarded your trunk from the saw with my own. Only your roots grasping the sodden earth hold you now.

I know which tree you're talking about, due to the bar thread, but suspending that knowledge, this serves as a kickstart to different scenes.
 
Last edited:
Searching for the spring

Upward tunnel of green. The fall's cold mist brushes my sore skin. Majestic white butterflies dance through shafts of sunlight. I'll never leave this pool.
 
Last edited:
The professional

Pushes me against the wall throws away my hat kisses me bites me draws blood—I hold her thigh.

"Did you kill them?" I ask.
 
Last edited:
Tricky got me in

A salacious slip of the tongue; that little push made her shudder. She looked at me, unsure whether to slap or kiss me. As intended.
 
caught between high-tide and snow-melt flood, she was late realising standing on the river's bank was not the best place to be.
 
"all fur-trimmed wellies, no knickers, that one" muttered a disgruntled resident lugging sandbags; finishing her piece to camera she turned, flashed him a smile.
 
she sweats year-long in a kitchen, greasy, dreaming of snow. in january, she books two summer weeks in barbados - packs sun cream, slow roasts.
 
a recipe of words, a little of this, a touch of that. allow to rest before turning up the heat. sticky fingers all licked clean.
 
tucked in time between books and dreams, her life seemed something of an alternate reality - one of many varied worlds she inhabited, day to day.
 
a fish in a pebble in a river running bright and sweet - past, present, future; history eroded, the fish wriggles free ~ laughing, swims, leaps.
 
a fish in a pebble in a river running bright and sweet - past, present, future; history eroded, the fish wriggles free ~ laughing, swims, leaps.

Ok, wow. I liked the previous one (tucked in time between books and dreams) very much, but this one is really cool!
 
There have been a lot of really, really good responses to my prompt, but this is the funniest one.

Mr. eyez is lucky that I am happily married, else I would come looking for you, m'dear.

Not that, of course, I'd have chance of supplanting him in your affections. Nor would I want to.

But that is funny. Well, to me.

Yeah well I have a crush on your digital persona, too. Always have. I suppose it's best to bear in mind that EE and Mrs. T-zed have to deal with us 24/7. A sobering thought, eh?

Did you see my James Brown American Sentence? That one really happened!

:kiss:
 
Back
Top