God Make Me Stop!

NOIRTRASH

Literotica Guru
I deleted 15 books from my Kindle in the last 48 hours. I suddenly have a zero tolerance for poor starts. If the story doesn't launch with the heavy chords of a Beethoven symphony, its gone. No more stories that wander and stumble about like TAX RAT after the bars close.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CNyla5QfN-Y

Last edited:
Try reading the last page, and see if you reckon the book might be worth a read to get to whatever resolution is offered there.

The problem with pearls, is they're in the middle of the oyster.

It's a sign of two things.

1. People are expecting more instant gratification from a story. Authors can't write like the 19th Century writers who expected their readers to have hours/days to spend on a book. Reading has to compete with other demands on our time.

2. Increasing age and possibly reduced eyesight. Both mean that the reader has to make more effort to read, has less patience, and wants a story that is easily accessible.

I deleted 15 books from my Kindle in the last 48 hours. I suddenly have a zero tolerance for poor starts. If the story doesn't launch with the heavy chords of a Beethoven symphony, its gone. No more stories that wander and stumble about like TAX RAT after the bars close.

Or YOU could be a cranky, tired, angry, old man grabbing at some attention as usual. Leave me out of your 'Hey, look at me, hey look at me" bullshit. Is that a quick enough launch for ya?

I would also add; the more a person reads, the more they select those books that appeal to the 'place' they are in at the moment.

Then your taste will change. Then change again. Enjoy.

Or YOU could be a cranky, tired, angry, old man grabbing at some attention as usual. Leave me out of your 'Hey, look at me, hey look at me" bullshit. Is that a quick enough launch for ya?

Just so you can't say you have me on ignore. :rose:

It's a sign of two things.

1. People are expecting more instant gratification from a story. Authors can't write like the 19th Century writers who expected their readers to have hours/days to spend on a book. Reading has to compete with other demands on our time.

2. Increasing age and possibly reduced eyesight. Both mean that the reader has to make more effort to read, has less patience, and wants a story that is easily accessible.

Good writing is good writing. Dickens, Twain, Tolstoy, and Hugo are PILOTs equal on every occasion, though Tolstoy's brilliance relies on the competence of the Brit translator (and few are able). The authors noted above do not "sidetrack" their stories with inane rambling picnics. Their stories move like music and lively streams. They do not stop to contemplate the price of tea in China.

As to your charges, I plead guilty to all. AND I know good writing from poor writing. Knowing makes me impatient.

The problem with pearls, is they're in the middle of the oyster.

This is very true although you have to open numerous ones to find even the one pearl. Also, does not the pearl fisherman just like the avid reader learn to recognise the signs of which oyster/book might be worth pursuing once the cover has been breached?

So you're the TAX RAT noir refers to intermittently?!? Holy dog shit, Private Cowboy! Now who'd have thunk it! :D

This is a big issue in erotica. There are a lot of people-the one handed readers-who if someone isn't fucking or talking dirty within the first few paragraphs they're off to something else.

I see it in the selling market. Stories I start slowly sell a bit less then the ones that I decided to get into something sexy right away.

But I still write whichever way the story strikes me, not what I think people want. Our audience finds us and why bother with an audience we're forcing ourselves to appeal to?

I would also add; the more a person reads, the more they select those books that appeal to the 'place' they are in at the moment.

Then your taste will change. Then change again. Enjoy.

Except real standards exist. I get my tastes differ from yours but there are limits, if your girl's face is a dead ringer for TAX RATS ass you may not need to worry about losing her. I looked at a novel whose subject is poker. I like poker. But the story sucked because wasn't relevant to anything...I expected one player to bet his wife but it never happened. The whole thing was the basic mechanics of five card stud. The end was the big loser writing a check he couldn't cover. Lame.

This is very true although you have to open numerous ones to find even the one pearl. Also, does not the pearl fisherman just like the avid reader learn to recognise the signs of which oyster/book might be worth pursuing once the cover has been breached?

So you're the TAX RAT noir refers to intermittently?!? Holy dog shit, Private Cowboy! Now who'd have thunk it! :D

His motto is: I DIDNT THROW THE BULLET IN THE FURNACE, AND YOU STOP TALKING ABOUT MY MOM!

Clive Barker, Poppy Z. Brite, and Truman Capote are writers I admire and read. All are gay. There are others: Donna Leon and Katherine Forrest and Som,erset Maughm are others. Theure first rate and don't stuff their appetites down my throat tho their wares spin around gay characters.

Bought a collection of James M.Cain short stories today. It features his earliest acclaimed effort, THE BAY IN THE ICE BOX. Hollywood made a movie of it. But Cain's novels are barely novella length.

The movie version: SHE MADE HER BED
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0025775/

Last edited:
This is a big issue in erotica. There are a lot of people-the one handed readers-who if someone isn't fucking or talking dirty within the first few paragraphs they're off to something else.

I see it in the selling market. Stories I start slowly sell a bit less then the ones that I decided to get into something sexy right away.

But I still write whichever way the story strikes me, not what I think people want. Our audience finds us and why bother with an audience we're forcing ourselves to appeal to?

I see that in some guidelines I wss reading for Hot Romances. Sex in the first chapter is spelled out as a requirement. No first chapter sex, no pass. I guess they know their readers

We have to accept certain truths and realities of the immediate time:

Hollywood is full of unprofessional idiots who are totally ignorant about absolutely everything and consequently, they only survive as a hangover from something that happened there in the past which no one actually remembers anymore, or even knows what it was or might have ever been.

Book publishers - as in ACTUAL book publishers - also do not exist ever since all of those LAST GASP branded book retailers closed up and went away forever never to return again.

Shelf filler companies for Walmart and other similar places have machines made in Spain, Germany and Italy, that 'print up' more or less copy-pasted nonsense and pass them off as 'books.'

CGI businesses in San Fernando Valley and London and Manchester make ALL the major Cinema first release movies these days, so there is no story-line you haven't already seen five thousand times before, there's no such thing as 'continuity editing,' and jump-cut flash-flash motion editing constitutes 'drama' 'comedy' 'tension' 'excitement' and every other possible narrative thing.

The world's best fiction writers are right here and if they waste your time getting into the story, forget 'em and go to the next one in the 'new stories' line-up.

How do I know they're right here?

Nod nod wink wink.

Well, it wasn't 4Chan, after all now, was it.

You run covert surveillance on my PC and I'll have you wanking and cumming in public all over CNN that fast you won't even know you just got fucked by an expert.

'Keep your hand off your dick, Brennan. Keep it off. Aarrrggh. Too late...'

Keep it up sport.

Signed Dash H. (aka Sam)

We have to accept certain truths and realities of the immediate time:

Hollywood is full of unprofessional idiots who are totally ignorant about absolutely everything and consequently, they only survive as a hangover from something that happened there in the past which no one actually remembers anymore, or even knows what it was or might have ever been.

Book publishers - as in ACTUAL book publishers - also do not exist ever since all of those LAST GASP branded book retailers closed up and went away forever never to return again.

Shelf filler companies for Walmart and other similar places have machines made in Spain, Germany and Italy, that 'print up' more or less copy-pasted nonsense and pass them off as 'books.'

CGI businesses in San Fernando Valley and London and Manchester make ALL the major Cinema first release movies these days, so there is no story-line you haven't already seen five thousand times before, there's no such thing as 'continuity editing,' and jump-cut flash-flash motion editing constitutes 'drama' 'comedy' 'tension' 'excitement' and every other possible narrative thing.

The world's best fiction writers are right here and if they waste your time getting into the story, forget 'em and go to the next one in the 'new stories' line-up.

How do I know they're right here?

Nod nod wink wink.

Well, it wasn't 4Chan, after all now, was it.

You run covert surveillance on my PC and I'll have you wanking and cumming in public all over CNN that fast you won't even know you just got fucked by an expert.

'Keep your hand off your dick, Brennan. Keep it off. Aarrrggh. Too late...'

Keep it up sport.

Signed Dash H. (aka Sam)

Anybody here speak Australian? Google can't translate it for me.

rj

Who's "we"? I decided you were full of crap by the third paragraph and didn't read further.

Yeah but me and Jimmy (sometimes i just tag along with whatever he says because I'm that kinda guy) have decided you wuzn't 'we' ever anyway...

(Just had to say that... even though I like some of your stories).

Now if you were to tell us that you are responsible for that latest California Saul Alinsky/Neo-Marxist mindwarp 'La La Land' THEN, I'd REALLY take notice.

Yeah but me and Jimmy (sometimes i just tag along with whatever he says because I'm that kinda guy) have decided you wuzn't 'we' ever anyway...

(Just had to say that... even though I like some of your stories).

Now if you were to tell us that you are responsible for that latest California Saul Alinsky/Neo-Marxist mindwarp 'La La Land' THEN, I'd REALLY take notice.

I assess the hell outta what works and what doesn't work. What I do is what real scholars do. Real conservatism is using what works rather than re-inventing fire and wheels and pussy every time. Writing is no exception: Some forms work better than most, though talent occasionally finds niches for the odd-balls.

Real conservatism is using what works rather than re-inventing fire and wheels and pussy every time.

When you're right, you're right. This has worked really well for "real conservatives" around the world and they keep using it.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie.” [Goebbels, 1941]

It's said writers are looking for the truth. Not all writers. Maybe not any.

rj

When you're right, you're right. This has worked really well for "real conservatives" around the world and they keep using it.

“If you tell a lie big enough and keep repeating it, people will eventually come to believe it. The lie can be maintained only for such time as the State can shield the people from the political, economic and/or military consequences of the lie.” [Goebbels, 1941]

It's said writers are looking for the truth. Not all writers. Maybe not any.

rj

As I said, people do what works. One of my very few talents is real estate speculation. Forty plus years ago I bought and sold worthless land for lotsa profit. One parcel hadda garbage dump on it. The community used a sinkhole on the land to fill with old cars, refrigerators, crap, and trash. I bought it for a song. All laughed at me. My wife was pissed until a rich guy paid me a small fortune for it. The sinkhole was exactly what he wanted. He made a pond of it and added a fountain. Then built a mansion with a helicopter pad.

Later it occurred to me to buy burnt houses and stores in the ghetto. My idea was to buy enough lots to bundle and sell to the city for municipal buildings. Then I learned our liberal newspaper beat me to the game, and owned much of the ghetto already.

I'm still tossing books from my Kindle. For now its any book with what's called MAGIC NEGROES. They were the rage in the 90s. The effort is fashion. Main Stran Media has flings with everything. Recall THE MODE SQUAD on tv? Queers are the current rage. Midget blacks had a turn, as did retards like Corky.

So anything with a mascot in it is bye bye.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Magical_Negro_occurrences_in_fiction

Last edited:
Back