100 Shades of Literature

blulilacgrl

Viva la Tarte!
Joined
May 22, 2012
Posts
10,390

We all know that the mind is a terrible thing to waste. And let’s be honest, how many of us spend our time perusing mindless entertainment and feasting on the fast food of literature? With that in mind we have decided to start a book club. Yes, yes we know it has been done before but oh well! And yes, we understand that this is a website devoted to erotica, but we feel that everyone can appreciate classic literature. You are invited to read with us and post your thoughts. All that is needed is access to a library or a used bookstore. Heck to be quite honest, a few on these books could probably be found online for free.

However there are rules for this book club.

1) Book will be taken from either the Modern Library’s Top 100 Novels or Goodread’s Top 100 Best Books of All Time: The World Library List.

2) At the beginning of each session we will post a choice of 3 books and everyone will be given a few days to vote on which book they would like to read

3) Depending on the length of the book, we will read 1-2 chapters a week.

4) Questions to aid the reading will be posted on Sunday evening (approximately) and posters will have a week to read and comment before we move on to the next chapter(s).

5) No spoilers. You are encouraged to read ahead but please refrain from going beyond the scope of posted chapter(s)

6) Discussions, debates, insights and interpretations are welcomed. Please keep it civil~ no personal attacks.


So grab a seat, get comfy, and let's read!
:D

faboluos-home-library-designs-1.jpg
 
As a way to kick off this thread and this first round of reading, Photo and I have selected 3 books for you to choose from. Voting will close Thursday so as to give each of you time to pick up the book before we begin discussions.

So take your pick from:

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Invisible Man by Ralph Ellison
SlaughterHouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut

We can't wait to see which one you pick. :)
 
One vote for the Ellison. I have read it, but it's been a while. ;)

I have never read it. Hence the reason for starting this thread. [laughs]

So right now we have

1 ~ The Great Gatsby
2 ~ Invisible Man
0 ~ Slaughterhouse Five

I see I might be outvoted. :(
 
One more for the Ellison.
I've never read it, just found a PDF online to get an idea of it. The first paragraph of the prologue has me hooked.
 
My one and only subscribed thread....I was just waiting for the right one to come along :heart:

My vote goes to Slaughterhouse Five
 
I'll read whatever we choose, however, I have already read TGG, so I must also vote for TIM.. Come to think of it, many, many, many, many years ago I read it as well..

This should be a fun thread. :)
 
Have read all three - although Gatsby and Invisible Man were both a while ago... Sadly there's no way I have time to add more reading to my lists right now.

I will follow the chatter and may gatecrash with a vague ramble every once in a while. Hope that's ok! :)
 
Hey guys. Just bumping this so that others can join and vote on our first read!
 
Okay quick update.

Looks like we have

2 ~ The Great Gatsby
3 ~ Invisible Man
1 ~ Slaughterhouse Five

3 ~ no preference

Just a note. Invisible Man is by Ralph Ellison. Not to be confused with The Invisible Man by H.G. Wells.

Y'all have 2 more days to cast your vote. :D
 
Hi folks. Stumbled in here.
Massive fan of Slaughterhouse5 and indeed many other Vonnegut books.
Would highly recommend you all read it.

Great thread!
 
If it gets chosen will you read it with us?

I'd happily read it again although I may disappoint you with my sporadic appearances.
Bit of Billy Pilgrim never hurts though.

I would've voted for Gatsby but I just can't seem to get though it. Need a day off and a quiet room I think.
 
I'd happily read it again although I may disappoint you with my sporadic appearances.
Bit of Billy Pilgrim never hurts though.

I would've voted for Gatsby but I just can't seem to get though it. Need a day off and a quiet room I think.

Seriously? I love love LOVE Gatsby. Such a statement about society and loss and unattainable dreams. What are you having trouble with, if you don't mind me asking?
 
I would love to join in! Thanks for taking charge, blulilacgrl! Always wanted to read Slaughterhouse Five, but will happily go with whatever you choose!
 
Seriously? I love love LOVE Gatsby. Such a statement about society and loss and unattainable dreams. What are you having trouble with, if you don't mind me asking?

I think my problem with it is the weight of expectation and the timings of my attempts.
I'm fine with the style, language and message but I know it's the kind of book I'll read in a slow single sitting on a lazy afternoon.
My past attempts have all been on long journeys or in the house as my wife plays music and potters around.
 
I would love to join in! Thanks for taking charge, blulilacgrl! Always wanted to read Slaughterhouse Five, but will happily go with whatever you choose!

I will put you down for Slaughterhouse Five then. Thanks, but I can't take all the credit. It was a joint idea, so Photo should get some love as well.
 
I think my problem with it is the weight of expectation and the timings of my attempts.
I'm fine with the style, language and message but I know it's the kind of book I'll read in a slow single sitting on a lazy afternoon.
My past attempts have all been on long journeys or in the house as my wife plays music and potters around.

Well if you need and pointers or quick insights let me know. I always love to discuss literature. :D
 
Thank you very much.
Again I think I'd disappoint. The last books I read were Neverwhere, House of Silk and Horns.

Oh no! You couldn't disappoint. The whole point is to engage in the thoughts and emotions that certain books bring out. :)
 
It's been so long since I read all 3. I'm cool with any choice but I'm throwing my hat in for Gatsby only because I'll probably see the movie sometime coming up.
 
Back
Top