Actual Vote Rating

Winterscumming

Literotica Guru
First off I apologize if I missed an already open thread about this.

My question is about story vote counts. I just started paying attention and I am noticing that the vote (4.44) shown next to one of my stories is different than the one shown in my members hub (4.57). Any ideas on why this is? I never pay attention I just like to check number of reads, but this morning I saw that 4.57 and got excited thinking my story was going to have the illusive red H. Only, when I checked there was no red H and it had a score of 4.44.

Just curious if anyone else has had this happen and/or no why it does.

Does that red H really mean anything. I read stories that catch my eye. The rating doesn't hold any meaning to me. For me, it's all about how well the author/ writer can hold my attention. And, no, there doesn't have to be a sex scene in every chapter to hold my interest.Great storytelling will do it every time.

Does that red H really mean anything. I read stories that catch my eye. The rating doesn't hold any meaning to me. For me, it's all about how well the author/ writer can hold my attention. And, no, there doesn't have to be a sex scene in every chapter to hold my interest.Great storytelling will do it every time.

I agree, as a reader. As an author I got excited for it.

I think whether the red H means something depends on
a) does your story have one? (in which case, Yes!!! of course it does)
b) do you want to write erotica which Literotica readers can get off on, or fine literature of a delicate nature which is admired by readers of fine writing.

Readers tend to hit the voting button without thinking much (if you've really done your job well, they may not even have the energy to lift a finger and press to give you five stars :devil:). If they go back after reflecting on your poetic descriptions of seckshual activities :p :p :p, their vote sometimes gets taken off in the sweeps as they don't stay on the page long enough for the system to believe they really read it and voted.

So a lot of stories that just hit the right button for readers ;) rather than being flawless prose which exposes a deep understanding of human relations (readers may actually be uncomfortable with such indecent exposure), score more highly.

If your story has a red H and you are happy to give readers a little pleasure in an often dull and difficult world, then yes, it means a lot.

If it doesn't have a red H, but has lots of comments saying what a fine and moving piece of writing it is, and furthermore people on Authors' Hangout and Story Feedback say it's well written, then no, it doesn't mean anything that you didn't have a red H. Most people know of several stories they deeply admire (I mean other than their own stories), which haven't scored that highly.

Of course the question was just a technical one of disparity of scores, not an invitation to discuss whether ratings should mean anything to authors for the 859th time.

Of course the question was just a technical one of disparity of scores, not an invitation to discuss whether ratings should mean anything to authors for the 859th time.

You're getting grumpier. Somewhere down that road lies Noir; or you can take the left fork and become LC.

You're getting grumpier. Somewhere down that road lies Noir; or you can take the left fork and become LC.

The question was raised the other day of why a lot of substantive posters have bailed. The ad nauseam repeat of certain topics--especially when they go beyond the question being posed--provides a lot of the answer of that, I think. And when you do try to respond to the questions actually asked, you get a bunch of back-biters hanging off you. Yes, it's a sign I'm just winding down here after ten years.

Or he could stalk rape forums and become you.

I thought you were the one stalking the rape threads and giving the same old hypocritical rants--over and over and over and over and over and over again. :rolleyes:

Hmm... I have an older one that has a discrepancy and the votes have been the same for at least a week.

The votes update at different frequencies; I think one is pretty frequent and another is only daily. If the score doesn't change very much then they will be the same; if you happen to catch it at the right time then they will be the same.

There is something in one of the FAQ's about that.

You post to those all the time too.:D

No I don't. I've rarely posted to the nonconsent/rape rant threads at all. No need for you to lie about that. This is a topic that you can't resist hopping up and down on. Shall we take a forum vote on that?

Last edited:
I rarely read LIT stories, and almost never score any story that isn't real 5 star quality. I don't do 1's and 2's. If I leave a comment its usually brief. 5's don't need my criticism, and lesser fare don't want it.

So far as I can tell, the LIT scoring system means shit. I stopped watching the numbers long ago.

I rarely read LIT stories, and almost never score any story that isn't real 5 star quality. I don't do 1's and 2's. If I leave a comment its usually brief. 5's don't need my criticism, and lesser fare don't want it.

So far as I can tell, the LIT scoring system means shit. I stopped watching the numbers long ago.

I mean, maybe if you used it, it'd be more useful. If people are only giving 5s, then yeah, scores are inaccurate. A useful scoring system relies on people giving truthful scores regularly, not just when it's a certain score.

I mean, maybe if you used it, it'd be more useful. If people are only giving 5s, then yeah, scores are inaccurate. A useful scoring system relies on people giving truthful scores regularly, not just when it's a certain score.

My lowest scored story got a GREEN E. My hanging story did almost as bad, and the writing is better.

I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of a Josephine Earp bio, about a Jewish girl who becomes a prostitute and marries a legendary lawman. Its a GREEN E concept youll never bother with. I know LIT readers.

My lowest scored story got a GREEN E. My hanging story did almost as bad, and the writing is better.

I'm thinking of doing something along the lines of a Josephine Earp bio, about a Jewish girl who becomes a prostitute and marries a legendary lawman. Its a GREEN E concept youll never bother with. I know LIT readers.

Are you serious with this? This can't be your real personality. How could you possibly get any other humans to interact with you? You'd starve to death. I refuse to believe you're real.

He goads them to get them to interact. Like his last two posts goading me to point out that he doesn't really have a Green E story here (which anyone can verify by checking out his list). :rolleyes:

Back