The Beautiful Game - Closed for DeathsKnight

He chuckled at the thought of her getting sent off, he had seen it enough times and even have received a few cards himself, but it was actually funny to think of this woman being sent off for foul play,

"Well at least it means more power to you, giving your opponent something to think about."

He leaned in conspiratory-like,

"Of course not being caught is the whole plan."

He looked serious for a few seconds and then chuckled,

"I would like to attend such a game, I think it would be interesting to see everybody running about."

He shifted into a better position, his hands becoming animated as he talked,

"This is what I love about the game, when played in the right spirit it doesn't matter if you're professional or just kids kicking a ball in the park. It bonds people, create a healthy competition and you come away a better person when you enjoy yourself. Just take a look at those guys, I drill them hard, when they are done here they will be dead tired, but come match day, there is no pressure, there is no "We must win" attitude, the only thing I want them to do is to go out and enjoy it. Win or lose, I'm proud of them, of course losing gets them a workout session they dread, but even I can see when they are outclassed and overpowered, so I make sure they know that I am proud of a good performance, but weak performances I crack down on."

He looked at her,

"You understand this yes?"
 
"Well at least it means more power to you, giving your opponent something to think about."

She laughed.

"Well you saw for yourself what a jerk he is. That's true on the field as well as off."

She leaned into him as he stage whispered.

"Of course not being caught is the whole plan."

She nodded solemnly and thought it best not to tell him how blatant her foul had been, but had the grace to look slightly penitent at least which seemed to make him chuckle.

"I would like to attend such a game, I think it would be interesting to see everybody running about."

She laughed wondering what he would make of their work team and found herself drawn to him, to his humour and the passion with which he talked.

"This is what I love about the game, when played in the right spirit it doesn't matter if you're professional or just kids kicking a ball in the park. It bonds people, create a healthy competition and you come away a better person when you enjoy yourself."

He was inspiring, just to listen to. She looked across at his players as he continued.

" ... Win or lose, I'm proud of them, of course losing gets them a workout session they dread, but even I can see when they are outclassed and overpowered, so I make sure they know that I am proud of a good performance, but weak performances I crack down on."

She had seen that even in one training session.

"You understand this yes?"

She nodded smiling broadly.

"... totally..."

She responded.

"So many can't see that. No matter what level, whether fans, player or administrators... playing football just for the joy of playing football, what could be better than that?"

She asked, her expression changing to one of repressed mirth.

"Though if you saw the works team ... you'd be searching to find 'joyful' players. There's no way they would survive even one training session with you ... and I doubt very much that I could either!"

She told him.

"But ... it might be a way of raising awareness, raising some funds some time soon ... a unique way of announcing our sponsorship ... your players, some of my staff ... but please mix the teams so we have a chance...?"
 
He nodded and rubbed his jaw,

"That is actually a good idea, a friendly match end of the season, I can split the team down the middle and you can add your team to that halves. Of course we will spend quite a bit of promotion on the match as it will be something new and of course some local interest will go a long way."

He smirked,

"And I will make sure that you face off against Martin again, no offense to the people working with you, but I do not like him at all. Just remember that there is accidents and no foul...unless you get caught."

He grinned and got up, blowing on his whistle,

"OK guys pack it up, warm down and stretching, if I see one stiff limb tomorrow everybody pays!"

The gear quickly got gathered and the team started to slowly jog the field, a slow pace to warm down and followed it with stretches as Ivan gathered the gear, slinging it over one shoulder, he watched the group as they finished, returned greetings as they trundled off to grab their jackets and gear, he glanced up at the sky,

"It's a going to get a bit cold tonight."

He turned to face Lisa,

"I shall walk you to your car, if that is fine with you?"

The groundskeeper came passed them, greeting them as he went about his work to soothe over the grass before turning off the floodlights.
 
Last edited:
"That is actually a good idea, a friendly match end of the season, I can split the team down the middle and you can add your team to that halves. Of course we will spend quite a bit of promotion on the match as it will be something new and of course some local interest will go a long way."

She nodded pleased that he was interested in the idea and though she had thought that it would have been ideal to have it earlier, he was right that it would take some advance publicity and obviously time to organise.

"And I will make sure that you face off against Martin again, no offense to the people working with you, but I do not like him at all. Just remember that there is accidents and no foul...unless you get caught."

She laughed. It was obvious that he was expecting her to play! As chief sponsor, Lisa had a perfect opportunity to pull rank and insist that she was needed for PR, but there was definitely something challenging about taking to the field on the pitch where Ivan's team played.

She stood and stretched her legs and the team packed away. She had not gotten to talk to any of them, but it was really too early for introductions; there was a lot of work to be done behind the scenes if things were going to advance at the pace she wanted.

"It's a going to get a bit cold tonight."

Lisa wrapped her coat tighter around herself.

"I shall walk you to your car, if that is fine with you?"

She smiled.

"I'd like that ... thank you ... "

She replied falling into step beside the big man pleased that he wasn't walking at pace which would most likely make her have to run to keep up. She smiled at the groundskeeper and looked back at the empty field and ramshackle stadium.
There was so much potential there ... and she could see it laid out ... mentally she had her 5 year plan ... but ... there were many stages to go through before she got anywhere near making that become a reality.

"I had a great time today, thank you for sparing so much time ...."

She told him as they reached her car.

"I look forward to cheering them on this Saturday."

She told him as she drew a card from her pocket.

"My contact details."

She said needlessly as she handed it to him, the card emblazoned with a SIMMONDS REAL ESTATE logo.

"I'll put together a short term proposal, present it to my board and then ideally I'd like to discuss it with you before I approach your Chairman? I'm going to work on a shorter time frame as possible so that we have at least 2 months trail before considering next steps."

She knew by experience that on Saturday all that would be on his mind was the game and that it would be impossible to have any type of discussion then.
 
Last edited:
He took the card and after reading it carefully in the half-light, stuck it into his pocket,

"Thank you for coming, I will promise them if they win, you will come watch again. They would like the rest they gain from it."

He nodded,

"I think that you are right, two months is not much time. But like my mother used to say, much can change in a minute, I believe we can see where we are heading at the end of the season."

He lifted his shoulders,

"No top eight for us, not yet."

He shifted the gear to his other shoulder and held his hand out to shake her own,

"Good evening to you Miss Hammond, I will be looking forward to see you this weekend at the match."
 
"Thank you for coming, I will promise them if they win, you will come watch again. They would like the rest they gain from it."

She laughed and hoped that it wouldn't impact negatively on Saturday's game.

"I think that you are right, two months is not much time. But like my mother used to say, much can change in a minute, I believe we can see where we are heading at the end of the season. No top eight for us, not yet."

She nodded.

"True, but this time next year ... "

She suggested.

"Good evening to you Miss Hammond, I will be looking forward to see you this weekend at the match."

She placed her hand in his, aware once more of the strength and stamina held within his body. Shaking it she replied.

"I look forward to it to. Very much."

So saying she opened her car and took her place behind the wheel. With a final smile and wave, she reversed and pulled out of the car park heading home for a hot bath and a hot drink.
 
The rest of the week flew by in a torrent of last minute meetings and intense training, he did manage to finish off some of the wooden furniture that was ordered, he was rather proud of his handiwork, it was a much better work than anything else he could find. Match day, there was a buzz in the air, the rain had threatened, but have not fallen, the cold was there though and along with a hot curry and rice there was traditional Russian coffee for sale, cheaply of course. The people who bought it, coughed and spluttered, but soon came back for more.

Ivan stood outside the locker rooms, he had given them the usual pep talk and even hinted that the pretty woman might come to watch them train if they won, of course no promises. This led to some light hearted banter and joking among the guys, each joking of being man of the match. It was good to have a team that stuck together so well, it helped them to weather losses as well. The opponents today had a reputation of playing tough and Ivan had picked his team carefully, it was a good mixture of youth along with some experience to keep things calm. Ivan knew that it was needed when the frustration with foul play crept in. The players came out and they huddled with him,

"Thank you Father for this day, let us do our best."

They amen chorused and they lined up, the opposing team joining them and the two teams jogged onto the field. Ivan followed, taking up his place at the sub bench as the teams lined up to sing the anthem and then take their sides. Ivan glanced behind him, hoping to see Lisa admidst the crowd
 
She had worked from home on the Wednesday and her focus had been solely upon a proposed short term for Green Dale FC. She had made some calls and consulted some of her trade contacts and ensured that the 2 month plan was to be launched as an illustrative pilot, this meant less hoops to jump through and initially a lower than usual budget, but this did not worry her unduly at this stage.

Thursday, she had been in the office and begun an audit of the community projects the company was engaged in. It was not until Friday that she introduced her initiative, by which stage she was informing her shareholders of her decision and not asking them to sanction it. Friday afternoon she took a late lunch and celebrated.

Lisa arrived in good time for the 3 pm kick off. She knew better than to hang around for too long and risk getting in the way, but a good 30 minutes gave her time to sample the coffee and talk to some of the spectators and of course take a closer look at the stand facilities and note the presence of stewards posted around strategically. They seemed few, for relatively low numbers of fans were expected, but they seemed lively and engaging which made for a good atmosphere.

At 2:45, Lisa took a seat behind the home teams bench which they had in lieu of a proper dug out. The technical area was very lightly marked out she noticed.
Like those around her she cheered the teams onto the pitch curious to see who Ivan had chosen to start with. She hadn't been impressed with the opposition the week before and could only hope that this would prove a good win for Green Dale. From behind him she watched Ivan's unmistakable figure as he spoke to his subs and called messages to players as they took up their positions.

Her voice joined the others in a cheer as the kick off whistle blew.
Lisa
 
Last edited:
Right from the start the attack came down the left flank, yet the defense handled it easily, as the game went on, small incidents happened, but Ivan was proud to see the experienced players helping the younger players to stay calm. It became clear that the attack was centred around the left of the field and the ball was moved to the right by Green Dale. Half-time arrived with the scores level at 0-0, Ivan went to the locker room and stood in the open doorway as drinks were taken and passed around,

"Well what do you guys think?"

"Straight down the middle coach, it will give them a shock and we can then throw back into defence."

Ivan nodded,

"Good, but we also know that their attack can not defend, we move upfield through their left, Kurt, Dan and Stephen, you will be our spear points on this attack, Donald you fall back to a defensive midfield position if they do break down our attack."

Surprised looks were exchanged, it was very unlike Ivan to have them go into full attack mode,

"We need goals, on the log we will end up in tenth position, if we can increase our goal difference, without losing our heads, three for the last few matches is enough to get us into ninth, a step away from where we want to be. Can you guys do this?"

A chorus of yes came from them, even the goalkeeper, Ivan nodded,

"Good, get it and tonight's first round is on me."

This lead to cheers, the guys got to their feet, hooking in chanting,

"GREEN DALE! GREEN DALE! GREEN DALE! GREEN DALE!"

Ivan left with a slight smile, a few seconds later a suitably encouraged Green Dale took to the field. Ivan then noticed Lisa among the crowd, he gave her a slight salute and then turned his attention back to the field. From the kick off, the attack surged forward, slicing through the left flank, the final pass hoofed out over the dead line, giving Green Dale a corner. The whole team apart from a defender and the goalie swarmed forward. The kick came in high and slightly wide and a groan went up as it seemed to aim to land at a Elsenburg player's feet, but the groan turned into a cheer as Green Dale's captain, a solid defender, surprised friend and foe alike, delivering a jumping bicycle kick! The ball rebounded from the left upright, landing at Dan's feet, he wasted no time, using his weaker right to slot the ball home. Ivan gave a grin, that was more like it, that is what he wanted to see.

It seemed that Ivan's blessing to play attacking, actually inspired better game play, no risks, good passing and solid defense set the trend for the rest of the match. The next two goals came from slicing up the left flank, but substitutions hampered that plan and almost as seamless as in the practice, they changed tactics, catching the defense flat-footed and scored two more goals, the last one coming a few seconds before the end whistle, giving Green Dale their biggest score margin in history, dwarfing the 3 - 1 victory ten years prior, the players went crazy, as did some of the fans as they stormed onto the field. Ivan just smiled and stood there looking as his team celebrated, he waited for the group to reach him and before he knew it, he sat on the shoulders of four players as they chanted,

"GREEN DALE! GREEN DALE! GREEN DALE!"

He weathered it all with a grin, it felt almost as good as scoring the vital goal in a cup final, finally he was let down as the group headed for the locker room, singing and joking with each other as they went.
 
In stark contrast to the previous week's game, there was action from the start. Obviously a biased observer, Lisa could see nonetheless that Elsenburg were playing much better this week and giving Green Dale a lot to think about. The 0-0 score line at half time was not at all representative of the state of play. It had been riveting from the kick off whistle and really though her heart was Green Dale all the way, Lisa knew that it the game could go any way and that it really depended upon how the teams too to the filed in the second half.

If Green Dale had been good in the first 45 minutes, then they were inspiring in the second. Whatever had gone on in the half time changing room had certainly worked. She watched with an increasingly optimistic home crowd as they were rewarded with a first goal from the Captain, Danny. The mood had definitely changed, hope turned to belief as the pace increased and Elsenburg were found wanting. A second and then a third goal were secured by which time Lisa had almost lost her voice, so much had she cheered and shouted. The euphoria that broke out as the final whistle blew was amazing. This was the true beauty of football a game played with heart! She stood back as avid fans invaded the pitch, against the rules, but understandable and harmless. She laughed as she saw Ivan hauled aloft and noted that it took four of his players to hold the big man above shoulder height. She could see the pure joy on the manager's face and even more so the bond that he had with the men who played for him.

It seemed a long time before the fans returned to pitch side and the players finally headed triumphantly to their locker rooms. It had truly been a spectacle and justification, if justification were needed, for Lisa's short and long term plans. Moving through the slowly retreating crowd she crossed over to a man conspicuous by his collar and tie and introduced herself briefly and gave an overview of her potential interest. Refusing to talk details on the pitch side she secured an appointment for Wednesday afternoon to meet with him and invited him to come to her offices, partly for convenience sake, partly for strategic reasons. The time, date and place set, she took out her phone and texted Ivan.

Have meeting with your Chairman Wednesday afternoon. Need to consult with you in advance. Available any time / place - to suit your timetable/commitments. Lisa

She was sure he would be celebrating at least this evening if not all weekend and rightly so. Which only really left Monday or Tuesday. Within such a time frame she could meet him any where or anytime so that she could fine tune her proposal in advance of the official meeting. In her haste to contact him, she had not realised that she had signed her text so informally...
 
It was late the evening when he dropped off the last of the guys too sloshed to drive, true to his word, he had bought the first round and stuck around to take most of the guys home who overdid things a bit. Of course the locals helped with that as they bought the guys drinks, ecstatic about the 5 - 0 win over a supposedly supperior side. As he took out his phone, he noticed the blinking light, he saw it was a text from Lisa, he opened it and replied to her request,

"Tomorrow will be fine, name the place, I will meet you there for breakfast. Ivan"

He had noticed the informal tone of her message and decided to match it, he opened a bottle of Vodka which he had been keeping for a special occasion and this was quite the occasion to be honest. He had two glasses, on the rocks and then went to bed.

The next morning he rose early, taking his phone with him as he set off for his morning jog, curious to see if anybody survived the evening. He actually didn't expect anybody to show up, but most of the guys joined him for their usual jog through the town.
 
She hadn't expected for Evan to pick up her message promptly, much less reply, so Lisa wasn't surprised that it was late evening by the time he replied.

"Tomorrow will be fine, name the place, I will meet you there for breakfast. Ivan"

She noted that he had signed it Ivan and wondered why ... it wasn't until she looked again that she saw her hastily written message.

" ... oops ... "

Still she couldn't pretend she was sorry that the formality between them had yielded, just a bit, if only in text land. But right now that was the least of her worries! She hadn't expected a meeting with him on the Sunday morning, but that would give her more time to review the proposal and get everything fine tuned. There was also the dilemma about what time breakfast was, she figured usually it would be early for him, but there were bound to be some sore heads the next day and it was a Sunday so she really didn't know at what time she should arrange to meet him. And then there was the venue; she couldn't invite him round to her place for breakfast, tempting though it was, so just how she would manage what should be a straightforward meeting was beyond her ... until she had her brainwave and finally knew just how she was going to arrange it...

She left home early the next morning dressed in black jogging bottoms, trainers, a white t-shirt and topping all that a baby pink 'hoodie' zipped up at the front. A light sports bag was thrown over her shoulder in lieu of her usual handbag, or briefcase.
It was too long since she had exercised seriously, but at least she was a regular at the leisure centre and often went swimming and even took various exercise classes when she had the time and that was her destination this morning. Located conveniently just 15 minutes walk from her home, it was around a 1S minute drive from Green Dale FC playing fields, which again wasn't entirely local, but near enough for what she had in mind. She arrived there for just after 8 am and showed her pass to go through the turnstiles, heading to the right and heading towards the gym. It was Neil who had the early shift that morning.

"Hey, Lisa. Bit early for you on a Sunday, isn't it? Don't tell me you're gonna finally sign up and get a proper work out?"

He greeted her.

"Less, cheek from you, I'll have you know I have just become a very valuable customer..."

She teased.

"And, actually, sorry about the short notice, but, I do need a favour ... "

She turned from scolding to pleading and as she knew he would Neil responded.
It was 9 am when Lisa finally sent the text to Ivan.

"I'm at Green Hill Leisure Centre. What time can you make it here by? I'll be waiting. Lisa"

Everything was arranged, a breakfast meeting hosted in one of the rooms at the gym and above all time and space to consider initial plans ...
 
He rexeived the text just as he entered the house, he read it and chuckled to himself, it seemed like miss Hammond was an early riser herself, he texted back,

"Just came home from a jog, just want to grab a shower. 20 minutes."

He went about his shower and got dressed in black shoes, grey suit pants, white shirt and a sports jacket with the Green Dale FC logo on it. It was twenty two minutes later when he entered through the entrance, a staff member approached him to ask if he could help him, Ivan nodded,

"I am here to meet miss Lisa Hammond."

The staff member directed him towards the gym, where he stated his request once more and was allowed entrance and directions where to find Lisa. He found the room and entered, Lisa was there already and he greeted her with a smile,

"Good morning miss Hammond, it is good to see you again."

He looked around, then back at her,

"This in an interesting place for breakfast."

He took the offered seat, resting his elbows and hands on the table
 
Last edited:
"Just came home from a jog, just want to grab a shower. 20 minutes."

She read his text. The man never rested, it seemed!
And true to his words, it was just within those 20 minutes when he was being directed to the room she had managed to secure for 'breakfast'.

"Good morning miss Hammond, it is good to see you again.
"This in an interesting place for breakfast."


She met his smile with a chuckle.

"Isn't it?"

She responded cryptically.

" ... and it's Lisa ... "

She invited noting that he had slipped back into the formal again.

"You'll have breakfast, I hope?"

She asked him indicating a table in the corner set with tea, coffee, a jug of juice and bottled water along with fruit and pastries.

"All I could secure at short notice,"

She told him.

"They're very accommodating here .... I'll take you on a tour after we've eaten.
This is my local .... and I don't think it's much of a drive from your stadium ... "


She commented smoothly as she offered to pour him a drink.

"I take it you haven't spoken to your Chairman since Saturday?"

She asked lightly.
 
He nodded,

"I'll have something to eat and drink thank you."

He moved over to the table with her holding a cup for coffee when she offered to pour something.

"No I haven't seen or heard from him, he will most probably call a meeting on Monday, bloat his own ego a bit and then dismiss us. He would be very approachable I think, the team did wonderful a five zero win is quite an achievement."

He picked up a banana and stared at the pastries, but chose to stick with the fruit and coffee for now. He added one sugar to the coffee and stirred it,

"Today he will be rather sore, he was still at the bar when I left with the last of the players."

He grinned,

"Low tolerance makes for bad judgements."

He sat down and sipped the coffee,

"Now miss... I mean Lisa, I can make a guess as to why I must have come here and why you mentioned the drive over here. From what I saw I am impressed already with the facilities, I also know that the fees are beyond the club's reach as is the transportation costs."

He smiled slyly,

"Is this part of the carrot perhaps?"
 
"I'll have something to eat and drink thank you."

They helped themselves to breakfast and she smiled as she heard him comment about his chairman.

"Now miss... I mean Lisa, I can make a guess as to why I must have come here and why you mentioned the drive over here. From what I saw I am impressed already with the facilities, I also know that the fees are beyond the club's reach as is the transportation costs. Is this part of the carrot perhaps?"

She chuckled.

"I'm surprised the man kept his own counsel. I've already spoken to your chairman. Obviously he welcomes the idea of a sponsor, but as you say, I think he thinks that he is key to securing any deals. As we both know, any business propositions depend upon your continuing as manager ... "

She sipped her own coffee as she put off replying to his question.

"When we spoke before, I think we agreed a 'trial' period of sponsorship initially?"

She clarified.

"I wanted to discuss possible proposals to put to your chairman on Wednesday, but they need to meet your needs and approval before I even enter into conversation with that man. He clearly does not understand football."

She dismissed the other man easily.

"So, I'm suggesting that I offer an initial 3 month arrangement with an option for renewal for and additional year in the first instance. Of course 3 months isn't long in footballing terms, nor is it long enough to really see impact, but .... I know that you'd make maximum use of any improvement of training facilities and lay the foundations for a longer term partnership."

She bit upon a pastry and sipped her coffee as she allowed Ivan to consider.

"In simple terms, Mr Mr Thovenski, what I'm proposing is membership of the gymn here along with use of the associated leisure facilities and a room allocated to you for your team's use. My company will also provide you with a minibus for transportation along with a generous fuel allowance for you to use as you wish."

She paused as she let clarified what the 'carrot' she offered was.

"The agreement will be for 3 months, but as a show of good faith and in case your chairman should prove a total ass in negotiations, this membership and transport offer will be for 6 months to allow you to prepare as fully as possible for next season, even if my company is unable to continue with sponsorship beyond this first contract. The only factor which would lead us to withdraw that offer is if you were to leave your role as manager."

She smiled hoping he would be pleased with her support of his team irrespective of the unknown factor of the chairman.

"The stick; my company logo on your kit and programme, which is pretty standard. Advertising boards within your stadium. And of course I'd like to secure your permission to attend training sessions and games as appropriate with the guarantee that I would not interfere or distract proceedings."

She wondered how he'd take to this request.

"This is business, but I'm eager to see your team progress. And you can be assured that you will not have to put up with any of my more 'inappropriate' colleagues trying to become involved."

She told him referring to Martin.

" ... so ... what do you think? These are all subject to your approval. Issues of your stadium and purchasing your own equipment will all have to wait until a longer term sponsorship is negotiated. I thought this would at least help you finish this season well and set you up for next season ...?"
 
He rested his forearms on the table as he listened to her, this was a very good deal, even if it only centered around him and his decisions, but the club had his full support and it now seemed that Lisa had the same drive to help his team perform.

"If I am to call you Lisa, I would express the same need, call me Ivan."

He sipped on his coffee,

"Your terms is more than reasonable, as for me staying on at the club, I am bound by contract for the next three years. I can only be dismissed in the event of me breaking the club rules, I think that the matter of how this sponsorship will be decided will have to be placed under the board's attention and make it clear what your stipulation is."

He drained his cup,

"As for the stick, I have seen much worse, the only thing that I can assure you will be done is the logo on our gear, that is no problem at all, another thing will be to allow you to attend training, you proved a good spectator. Advertising boards is beyond my control, the board will have to approve that, but with those three things being the only requests in turn for what you are offering I can not see how they can even think about refusing."

He got up to fill his cup once more and took his seat again,

"What you offer is more than enough to improve our game and team, like you said three months is not enough, but the team is on the brink, they only need a push to make it to the play-offs."

He smiled one of those rare smiles,

"You are my chudo[?i], if this happens I will be forever grateful."
 
"If I am to call you Lisa, I would express the same need, call me Ivan."

She smiled at his invitation.

"Ivan it is ... "

She told him, her eyes meeting his, her pulses jolting at the warmth there.

"Your terms is more than reasonable, as for me staying on at the club, I am bound by contract for the next three years. I can only be dismissed in the event of me breaking the club rules, I think that the matter of how this sponsorship will be decided will have to be placed under the board's attention and make it clear what your stipulation is."

She nodded. Managers could be sacked regardless of contract; she knew that too well.

"Of course, I can deal with the board ... "

She gave him a grin, but it was clear she was a confident business woman.

"As for the stick, I have seen much worse, the only thing that I can assure you will be done is the logo on our gear, that is no problem at all, another thing will be to allow you to attend training, you proved a good spectator."

She smiled and nodded at the compliment.

"Advertising boards is beyond my control, the board will have to approve that, but with those three things being the only requests in turn for what you are offering I can not see how they can even think about refusing."

She knew it was a good offer, but his insight into how the board may react was invaluable.

"What you offer is more than enough to improve our game and team, like you said three months is not enough, but the team is on the brink, they only need a push to make it to the play-offs."

She watched his face light with a smile and it struck her that whilst she realised she had been attracted to the surly single-minded man he was, that when happy, he was truly ....

"You are my chudo, if this happens I will be forever grateful."

She laughed.

"Thank you, I think ... what is 'chudo'?"

She asked him as she poured a glass of juice and took up an apple.
 
Last edited:
"Chudo it is the thing that you need most and it is granted, I think the correct term is..."

He paused for a moment,

"Miracle...yes miracle."

He peeled one of the bananas and took a bite,

"I had given up all hope, like I said before it seems like being a Russian can be a bad thing outside of Russia..."

He smirked,

"Especially if you are a headstrong person who wishes to do things your own way and do not like interferance from people who do not know a football from a cabbage."

He rested his hand on her own,

"That makes you my miracle, a person interested in the game and loves it, not judging the people playing it."

He gave her hand a gentle squeeze and like it was nothing, he returned to his coffee and fruit.
 
"Chudo it is the thing that you need most and it is granted, I think the correct term is...Miracle...yes miracle."

Lisa could not help but feel pleased at his words.

"I had given up all hope, like I said before it seems like being a Russian can be a bad thing outside of Russia... Especially if you are a headstrong person who wishes to do things your own way and do not like interferance from people who do not know a football from a cabbage."

She laughed at his assessment of the others he had to work with.

"That makes you my miracle, a person interested in the game and loves it, not judging the people playing it."

His hand was upon hers dwarfing it with his own, the strong fingers moved lightly to squeeze, the casual gesture making Lisa's pulses race as she saw that intensity flare within him.

And then the moment was gone. He continued with his breakfast and she took a steadying breath. It was football for him and business, along with football, for her. She found she had to remind herself of that.

"I think the chairman will find that I can be as headstrong and stubborn in business as you are in football."

She managed to comment smoothly as she bit into her apple.

"... and I guess I should mention the idea of a charity match at towards the end of the season ... if you're still up for that ...?"

She was back on track now and considering ways forward.

"We could run a joint training session here ... and one at the ground ... good for publicity ... then perhaps a Sunday match would be best ... what do you think?"
 
Last edited:
"Da it will be good to have the match, training together will give your people more of an insight as to how I work yes?"

He frowned slightly and shook his head,

"But I am not very comfortable with playing on a Sunday. After the week the players need a day to rest, I will feel bad to take that from them, is Saturday a bad day for you?"

He looked at her and for the first time noticed what lovely eyes she had...how could he have missed this? He had noticed her beauty before, but only now did he realize that she had such lovely eyes...he gave himself a mental shake and sipped his coffee. She was a prospecting bussiness partner, not a woman here for him, though she did state that her deal revolved around him, she had also said that she would want it to work through him as he was the one who knew what the team needed.
 
"Da it will be good to have the match, training together will give your people more of an insight as to how I work yes?"

She didn't want to tell him that not many in her company were interested in football, especially the non-glamorous type. They showed up for these things supposedly to promote the company image, but in truth a lot of it was to do with their business aspirations. They knew her passion was football and believed that in supporting her ventures, she would notice and perhaps even promote them in time ...


"But I am not very comfortable with playing on a Sunday. After the week the players need a day to rest, I will feel bad to take that from them, is Saturday a bad day for you?"

She looked across at him in surprise.

"I thought we were talking after the end of the season, but then I guess you'll make them train Saturdays even if they don't have a match?"

She dared to tease him lightly, her eyes dancing with mischief.

"It doesn't have to be Sunday, no ... I'm flexible ... besides ... I'm the boss, so whatever day I say, they'll show... "

She threw away the apple core and took a last mug of coffee.
 
He raised an eyebrow sligtly,

"It is better to keep fit than to regain it, especially with these guys as they have work as well to do and don't have time to train by themselves."

He paused,

"I believe that the combined training will not be very taxing on my players."

He slight smile touched his lips,

"I have gotten the boys very fit, I doubt even many of the other teams can keep up with them in endurance testing. So it will be one or two days of combined training, the rest of the week they will be training their own regime. That is acceptable?"
 
"It is better to keep fit than to regain it, especially with these guys as they have work as well to do and don't have time to train by themselves."

She definitely saw the sense in that.

"I believe that the combined training will not be very taxing on my players."

She had to hold back a laugh. He had not seen her team and they were 'literally out of their league' in comparison to Ivan's players.

"I have gotten the boys very fit, I doubt even many of the other teams can keep up with them in endurance testing. So it will be one or two days of combined training, the rest of the week they will be training their own regime. That is acceptable?"

She did laugh then! He really had no idea of their limitations.

"Ivan ... have you any idea of what you're suggesting. Training sessions for us would be a bit of a jog and kick about; a time to argue who is playing in what position only to forget and then run around like headless chickens ... you can forget formation and position ... "

She giggled at the thought.

"I think you're expecting too much. And I really can't afford the sick pay."

Despite her words, she seemed highly amused by the prospect of her workers having to undergo anything like 'real training'.

" ... I think you'll have to be kinder to us ... especially if you're expecting me to even consider playing ... "

She gave an exaggerated grimace.

" ... why don't we think about the 'buddying up' idea. We'd already said that we'd mix my people with yours ... so ... maybe a player and a worker could pair up and 'train' ... give your men a chance to pass on some of their talent and mine to see what goes into being a real footballer ... "

She grinned.

"Of course, the condition is that we get someone demanding for Martin and someone with a more gentler work ethic for me ..."
 
He pondered her words, he did expect them to have no real training, but her words made it clear...he will tear his hair out of his head even if it will be just a friendly match...then he grinned,

"Well then, I have the perfect partner for you, our substitute goalkeeper, he is new and still learning the ropes. For Martin I have just the right person..."

He paused at that stage to finish his coffee, it was a delay tactic, which was meant to stretch anticipation. He placed his cup down and steepled his fingers in front of himself,

"Me."

He waited for that tidbit to sink in and grinned again,

"And I do think I should get some match time, I think two or three of the board members would like to join as well, it will be a real fun for all where the goals doesn't really matter, but the bonding experience does. That should prevent me from getting a stroke too."

He made a ping-pong motion with both hands,

"No tactic, just kicking around..."

He exagerated a shudder for her benefit,

"I'd rather be on the field then, will be much better for me and everybody else concerned."
 
Back
Top