Men In Kilts

barefootgirl69

Wild Little Cupcake
Joined
May 14, 2015
Posts
67,670
Once again, threads have been deleted, and ours was no exception! I don't know why, so please don't ask! I'm sure it may have had something to do with some postings that were either copywrited or had a url or a name attached.

So, with that in mind, please be careful WHAT you are posting. If you see something some else has posted, please contact them to have it removed. If that is not done, you may contact the moderator, tell them the post number, and they will remove it. If not, and it continues...the thread will once again be deleted.

Now, let's have fun!
 
Let's start with some history!

Now, I am by no means perfect, and I don't want to be the only one contributing, so...if I'm incorrect, let me know in PM so I can edit this post!

Then, post some things that YOU know about the kilt! :D

****

The word kilt comes from the Old Scots language, and its literal translation is,"to tuck up the clothes around the body".

The Scots word is believed to be derived from the Old Norse word Kilting, taken from the Norse settlers who wore a similar pleated garment.

The "Feileigh Mor" often referred to as "The great Kilt" was not tailored in any way, and only ever so slightly resembled the kilt we know and love today.

It was made from two loom widths of material sewn together, giving a total width of approximately sixty inches. Its length about seven yards(six and a half meters), so as you can imagine it was a heavy garment.

In order to dress in the great kilt required a bit of time (and perhaps help), as you would be required to lay the garment on the ground, having first laid your belt under it.

You would then proceed to fold it into pleats, having done that you would then lie on it, wrap it around your body and secure it in place with your belt (quite a performance).

Having done all that, you would then arrange the upper part over your shoulder, tucking the remainder into your belt.

The great kilt served more than one purpose, and was in fact very versatile. As well as providing great warmth in winter, it could also be worn very loosely in summer, thus keeping you cool.

At night it provided you with your bedding, once again protecting from the cold Scottish climate

Sometime around the early seventeenth century the kilt more closely resembling our modern day version made its appearance.

The philabeg often referred to as the "small kilt" or "walking kilt", became very popular throughout the Highlands and Northern Lowlands of Scotland.

It was a smaller version not unlike the modern equivalent, and the first evidence of pleats being sewn in creating a tailored kilt comes in sixteen ninety two.
 
Last edited:
tumblr_nppx3opCFc1s59zg7o1_500.jpg
 
Just to bring balance to the force ;)
Maybe the ladies would like to know they look good in Kilts too?
tumblr_o36bg2YzAk1u9j5wno1_400.jpg
 
I love the girls in kilts....that purple is stunning! LOL

And he looks like he's just discovered that their hands are cold! :D

Thanks for the posts, and for making me smile!
 
LOVE the purple kilts!! Never seen purple tartan before.
kinda like when I saw purple camo the first time.... loved that too
 
Ah so I'm not the only lady that finds certain men in kilts to be very alluring. But it has to be the right kind of man wearing one for me to actually look (which even though I am married I do because I can still appreciate a fine man without breaking my vows) Now for a picture of a man I would never get tired of seeing in a kilt

DuncanKilted2.gif
 
Two more weeks till our local SPD parade...a full helping of men in kilts...and oh, if it's breezy that day. Sigh.
 
Back
Top