The Official Author's Hangout Valentine's Day 2013 Contest Support Thread

Heads up: I'm submitting a MOTHER/SON story on Monday the 21.

Just putting that out there in case another author is looking to post something with the same theme on the same day. It makes more sense if we spread it out.

Best of luck to everyone.

Just submitted a quickie I banged out in two days. (Contest rules said you could post a little before the 20th, but I'm sure it won't go up before then.)

I'm still holding out hope for my original submission. It's coming along...slowly. Very, very slowly.

I've just submitted mine. May the odds be ever in your favor...

Thought I would pop in to say hi to those who have not heard from me in a while. A funny thing happened on our retirement journey to Texas: we ended up on the Emerald Coast of Florida (sorry, TxRad.)

Setting up our golden years lifestyle living 200 yards from the ocean has kept me busy, too busy to do any writing, so I don't know when I might enter another contest. Oh well, Scummies will have to find someone else to waste his breath on.

Thought I would pop in to say hi to those who have not heard from me in a while. A funny thing happened on our retirement journey to Texas: we ended up on the Emerald Coast of Florida (sorry, TxRad.)

Setting up our golden years lifestyle living 200 yards from the ocean has kept me busy, too busy to do any writing, so I don't know when I might enter another contest. Oh well, Scummies will have to find someone else to waste his breath on.

Welcome back stranger. :rose:

So you choose JBJ over me, I see how you are. ;)

Ya'll have fun over there. It is pretty country and even prettier beaches.

Okay so I am probably being a little slow on the uptake here but, I didn't think the contest opened until the 20th? Are you submitting early because they wont be published until then, do they not get published with your submit date rather than the publish date? or is there that much of a rush on the first day, the rest of us who submit on the 20th roughly will have a wait a week? :confused:

Okay so I am probably being a little slow on the uptake here but, I didn't think the contest opened until the 20th? Are you submitting early because they wont be published until then, do they not get published with your submit date rather than the publish date? or is there that much of a rush on the first day, the rest of us who submit on the 20th roughly will have a wait a week? :confused:

All you get by submitting early is the story off your plate and posting the first day of the contest. The contest rules say you can submit a few days early, so there's no particular reason not to submit early if you want to get the transaction finished and the story is ready.

or is there that much of a rush on the first day, the rest of us who submit on the 20th roughly will have a wait a week?

Contest stories get posted in a day or two, not the usual 3-5 days.

I'm about halfway done with a story for the upcoming contest. Once I figure out how to tweak a story set in mid-August to fit within the parameters of a Valentine's Day contest, I'll be about three-quarters done.

I'm about halfway done with a story for the upcoming contest. Once I figure out how to tweak a story set in mid-August to fit within the parameters of a Valentine's Day contest, I'll be about three-quarters done.

Have the mails deliver the card late.

I could see it setting up a Valentine's story a couple of ways. Of course it would have to be a story written from the bottom up. Not having received anything from a lover not being able to be there setting up some pretty serious reaction--and then she finds out gifts were sent and it was the mail's fault. Now she's in a dilemma herself.

New story

Wasn't planning on entering this one, too much other stuff to work on. Started writing a plot-reminder, and ended up 7000 words into a sneaky little tale. Don't expect it will do too well, since readers don't often like to be tricked, but I couldn't help myself. Add to the fact it's probably going into Loving Wives, it probably has the kiss of death already.

Oh well - it's different and kind of fun to pull together. Hope to submit it by the end of the weekend.

I just posted my first ever attempt in the Romance category, and I now have to hope the relative absence of emotionally twisted characters doesn't alienate my fan base (thanks for reading Mom!).

I finished writing my short story. Loving wives and around 4800 words. Don't expect to win but just like being part of the contest. I don't think I've missed one since I started writing. Waiting to find an editor. Posted on the editors forum but no real interest yet. I'm not a good enough writer to go without an editor. Will wait and see how it goes.
Best of luck to everyone who enters.
DG Hear

Last edited:
Back