The Official Authors' Hangout National Nude Day 2017 Contest Support Thread

I mean, it's $150, which is nice, but geez; the payout seems a little low for leaving your courtesy at the door.

Back at the time she was talking about we had a couple of groups either trying to disrupt the contests to the point that they would be stopped or gaming the system. Both groups are gone now so it really doesn't apply at this point.

My only problem with the contests now is ..... the topics are always northern hemisphere centric (you try writing "traditional" snowy Christmas stuff when you're sitting through the third heat wave of an Oz summer) and Halloween bores me to tears. And drop bears ain't sexy. Sharp claws, though.

Ohhhh, sexy drop bears? Maybe not. But tanned ripped sexy aussie guys surfing in budgie smugglers when a cute american girl heads south for some Xmas sun and fun?
There's a story there. Utes, budgie smugglers, tinnies, riot packs, sinking the old pork sword.... xmas with santa in the sun! Got to give that one a whirl, mate! :D remind me next Xmas.:rose:

Ohhhh, sexy drop bears? Maybe not. But tanned ripped sexy aussie guys surfing in budgie smugglers when a cute american girl heads south for some Xmas sun and fun?
There's a story there. Utes, budgie smugglers, tinnies, riot packs, sinking the old pork sword.... xmas with santa in the sun! Got to give that one a whirl, mate! :D remind me next Xmas.:rose:

Chloe, a little bit of knowledge could get you into big trouble;) You're learning fast!

Don't forget Wolf Creek, the movie, is loosely based on a couple of real events. The perpetrators, fortunately, were caught and are doing life, one of them with 28 years non parole, the other seven consecutive life sentences with 18 years non parole. It ain't all beer and skittles. We've got some real charmers here!

Chloe, a little bit of knowledge could get you into big trouble;) You're learning fast!

Don't forget Wolf Creek, the movie, is loosely based on a couple of real events. The perpetrators, fortunately, were caught and are doing life, one of them with 28 years non parole, the other seven consecutive life sentences with 18 years non parole. It ain't all beer and skittles. We've got some real charmers here!

Oh, I know about the charmers. I was reading up on Chopper Read a while ago, based one of my characters in "Chinese Takeout" on him. And a book on the Bandido's in Australia.

hqdefault.jpg

And it's not just drop bears and dingo's that are lethal. It's those aussies feed plastic to endangered species.... oh my...

8f6af2beca8dcfe6784799081d292b14.jpg

And I'm sorry, this just went a bit off topic. But the crocodile is nude....

Oh, I know about the charmers. I was reading up on Chopper Read a while ago, based one of my characters in "Chinese Takeout" on him. And a book on the Bandido's in Australia...

See if you can find "Stone" - an Oz cult movie made in 1974, about bikie gangs and an under cover cop in and around Sydney - pretty impressive for its time. Made with the assistance of the Hells Angels.

It is kind of a radio-play.

The aim is to make the story look like a radio-reporting, with two voices. There is nothing else - no narrative description of the surroundings, no introduction of the reporters, no interviews. The story starts by one reporter, welcoming the spectators and listeners, and it ends by "...back to the studio!"

Benjamin does most of the talking, describing what goes on in the air, but sometimes he requests additional information from Jean Jacques. They rarely use single sentences - mainly talk for whole paragraphs or longer, so the text blocks between the asterisks are quite large.

You might want to pass this by laurel before you drop it on her for the contest. Standard quote marks are one of her pet peeves.

See if you can find "Stone" - an Oz cult movie made in 1974, about bikie gangs and an under cover cop in and around Sydney - pretty impressive for its time. Made with the assistance of the Hells Angels.

I had an uncle in the Hell's Angels. Got his ass blown away in the early eighties and that was after they pulled all his teeth out with pliers.

Honestly the fucker deserved it, most of them did back then.

Now they're mostly soft weekend warriors riding around Laconia in midlife crisis mode. At least around this area anyway.

Speaking of, think I'll go borrow my old 2006 sportster I sold to my BIL a couple years and take a ride.:D

If it breaks a literotica rule such as underage then you can't use it. If it breaks a nude day story rule then it might still be entered. I went against type a couple of years ago and decided to write a Valentine's story about a divorce and a Nude day story with no nudity but they fit their categories and did fine. If the story is good and original I wouldn't worry.

Thank you.
The only problem with my entry was that it was a poem, a ballad. We have a huge tradition of ballads here starting with AB(Banjo) Patterson who wrote Waltzing Matilda, The Man From Ironbark, The Man from Snowy River, The Geebung Polo Club, Mulga Bill's Bicycle and a few others. People still write poems/ ballads in this style. It is popular. A ballad is a story written in the style of a poem. It is more difficult than prose. There are competitions for ballads. One of the bush poets is Murray Hartin. There are many others. The contests on Lit preclude poems/ ballads which is a pity because the presentation of them can be enormous fun, funny and they are often very memorable.

Wait, wasn't it "Stoner", or was that a different movie? (I'm going old school today, responding without looking it up myself first...)

Edit: Different movies, although both from 1974 with an Australian cop as the main character, sort of...

Last edited:
For some reason I thought this was starting soon. Not for another month.:eek:

Maybe I'll get something together for it.

We have a huge tradition of ballads here starting with AB(Banjo) Patterson who wrote Waltzing Matilda, The Man From Ironbark, The Man from Snowy River, The Geebung Polo Club, Mulga Bill's Bicycle and a few others. People still write poems/ ballads in this style. It is popular. A ballad is a story written in the style of a poem. It is more difficult than prose. There are competitions for ballads. One of the bush poets is Murray Hartin. There are many others

I have an old book of Banjo Patterson's that includes The Man from Snowy River. I browsed thru a used book shop in Adelaide last year and asked the guy if he had any quintessentially Australian books and that was one of them. He did write memorably. I picked up a couple more books by Ernestine Hill - one of them was "The Great Australian Lonliness" about the remote parts of Australia's.

I have an old book of Banjo Patterson's that includes The Man from Snowy River. I browsed thru a used book shop in Adelaide last year and asked the guy if he had any quintessentially Australian books and that was one of them. He did write memorably. I picked up a couple more books by Ernestine Hill - one of them was "The Great Australian Lonliness" about the remote parts of Australia's.

I have some 1916 versions of C J Dennis' The Sentimental Bloke and The Moods of Ginger Mick. The Ginger Mick book is in a damaged condition but could be a first edition.

It's happening: I'm getting the urge to do a second entry. This has never happened before, especially for a contest theme so far outside my comfort zone.

What can one say? Y'never know when the muse will leap out and grab you. We'll see if I can go from "germ of an inkling of an idea" to "finished product" over the next couple weeks.

Fun!

Thank you.
The only problem with my entry was that it was a poem, a ballad. We have a huge tradition of ballads here starting with AB(Banjo) Patterson who wrote Waltzing Matilda, The Man From Ironbark, The Man from Snowy River, The Geebung Polo Club, Mulga Bill's Bicycle and a few others. People still write poems/ ballads in this style. It is popular. A ballad is a story written in the style of a poem. It is more difficult than prose. There are competitions for ballads. One of the bush poets is Murray Hartin. There are many others. The contests on Lit preclude poems/ ballads which is a pity because the presentation of them can be enormous fun, funny and they are often very memorable.

I had no issues when I submitted a 'story in doggerel verse' for the April Fools contest last year. I stated it that way in the intro - nothing in the rules that I saw stated that the story needed to be in prose format and I didn't get any pushback on my rhyming lines being something other than a story. The Odyssey is a story in verse too. And an epic poem.

Back at the time she was talking about we had a couple of groups either trying to disrupt the contests to the point that they would be stopped or gaming the system. Both groups are gone now so it really doesn't apply at this point.

I bowed out of the contests when they were such an annoying bloodbath. This current thread is refreshing.

I was looking at an old Nude Day entry of mine and looked over the comments - five from great people no longer here largely due to the 'bloodbathers.'

While I miss them the current crop is a lot of fun!

Nude Day express - here I come.

Nude Day express - here I come.

Cool!

A follow on question. Does the story have to include an actual Nude Day or a Nude Day event? Or just getting down to nudity without a formal Nude Day in the story. That's the bit I'm not clear about.

Cool!

A follow on question. Does the story have to include an actual Nude Day or a Nude Day event? Or just getting down to nudity without a formal Nude Day in the story. That's the bit I'm not clear about.

Thanks!

Nudity is the main point.

I've always played with the fact it really is a recognized day. But I've read many a story where the character(s) are just noticeably nude.

The sky's the limit but clothes aren't

Happy writing!

Cool!

I hope not.

My take is that a character's nudity ought to be a significant plot point. That's what I'm doing anyway, and if I'm wrong the readers will presumably tell me so.

I hope not.

My take is that a character's nudity ought to be a significant plot point. That's what I'm doing anyway, and if I'm wrong the readers will presumably tell me so.

As a reader as well as a writer I'm telling you not so.

You are right.

Happy writing.

Cool!

It's National Nude Day. It doesn't apply outside the US. In France it is Bastille Day, more universally celebrated there than National Nude Day is in the US.

As long as nudity is a significant part of the story I can't see a problem. I did nudity and Bastille Day once.

Back