The King and I (closed)

"Don't worry too much about it, Dave. I'll protect you." She said with a chuckle, nudging him with her hip as they exited towards his bedroom. "It wouldn't do to let my future king suddenly lose his nerve when it comes to meeting a prospective wife."
 
"If that is a prospective wife and she is even partly like her father, it might be a good thing to run away."

He frowned and hooked in with her as they strolled down the corridor.

"Do you have any idea why he would come out of their seclusion now? It can't be a possibility of maybe getting me to ask her hand in marriage."

He chuckled, "I am getting paranoid aren't I?"
 
"He might want to strike a deal with you. I wouldn't think too much about it before you find out exactly what he is wanting." Charlie said as he looped his arm through her own. "And you have every right to say no to anything he has to say or offer."
 
He patted her hand

"I will leave the saying no to you. You always had a more delicate touch."

He paused at the door to his room, then opened it and led her inside, "I think you left your slippers here last time."

He closed the door behind Max and gave her a slight smile, "Come to think about it, it is late enough, you want to crash here because the road is long to your own bed."
 
"I wouldn't say that walking across the palace to my apartment is all that long." She commented as he invited her to stay the night. "But if my future king commands it, I don't think that I can tell him no."
 
He waggled his eyebrows at her as he started to loosen his tie, "Well who knows, the road might lead you elsewhere than your room."

He kicked off his shoes and sat down, stretching out his legs, before removing his socks and tossing the tie onto the nearby chair. "How do we even keep on doing this every day?"
 
"Because you think you're far more charming than you are and I'm too cold to walk to my own rooms." Charlie answered, glancing over at Dave as he made himself comfortable. "Plus, I enjoy Max's company and he never ventures that far away across the palace."
 
"You sure like to torture me with Max. But what I meant is, how do we manage to keep working so hard, go to bed late, wake up early, only to do it all again. I don't buy that it is all for the love of the people. It almost feels lately like it is something that has to be done to keep the monarchy afloat."

He undid the buttons on his shirt and slipped it off
 
"Because it's life. Unfortunately, it's one that you were born into." Charlie said with a shrug of her shoulders. "You can ease back on your schedule after the coronation, but until then, I'm afraid we have to do a lot to set up a new government and show everyone just what kind of king you'll be."
 
He chuckled, reached out and drew her to him, letting her sit on his lap as he rested an arm around her.

"Now this seems promising enough. All I need is a few people singing my praises, no fanfare and a nice sword to wear with my formal dress and I might just decide to be that king you have been aiming to get a good wife for."

He grinned at her and made a feint as if to tickle her
 
"Don't you dare." Charlie said, swatting Dave as he went to tickle her. "Just because you're the king doesn't mean that you're going to boss me around at all."

She gave him a grin, leaning in to kiss him before she let herself relax beside him with a long and tired sigh.
 
He smiled at her and met her kiss with his own. He looked at her for a while and then fell back onto the bed, taking her with him.

"Now I shall pass a royal decree that you shall undress and present yourself to the royal bed for a night of serious sleeping."
 
"Just what did you do all day? You can't be that tired." Charlie said as he joked about passing a decree to get her in bed. "And do you know how many women out there would jump at the chance just to hear you say that? A handsome future king, rich beyond all belief, stylish because his personal assistant insists that he not dress like a slob. It sounds like a fairy tale."
 
"I read those tedious reports for tomorrow's meetings, an hour of that is enough to tire out even me."

He grinned, "And any other woman would not want to just sleep, they will expect much more, all in the hopes of securing their position by having a child of the royal bloodline. No I prefer you to share this bed and sleep with."
 
"The only reason I put up with you is because you keep me warm. And it's supposed to snow this evening." Charlie gave him a grin as she kissed him and pulled herself out of his lap. "I suppose I'll borrow a shirt for bed then."
 
"Oh I keep you warm is it? Sounds more like I am your two legged Max, you just don't want me to slobber over the guests and sniff their legs."

He undid the belt and button of his pants and started to wriggle out of it.

"I do believe there is a shirt in that ghastly pink you adore so much."
 
"I also believe that you were the one who picked it out in the first place. Don't put the blame on me just because you regret your choices." Charlie said with a grin as she moved into his closet and chose something to wear for the evening.

She returned a short time later in a button down shirt, her hair loose around her shoulders.
 
He lay under the covers and looked at her, "Well I may have chosen poorly with the shirt, I surely didn't choose poorly when I told you how I feel about you."

He flicked open the covers next to him in an open invitation. He loved the way her loose hair shimmered in the light as she moved and how her eyes seemed to carry their own light and of course he loved everything about her.
 
"You'll have to revisit those feelings when we've been together for longer. You might grow bored with me over time." She said with a grin as she finally slipped beneath the sheets beside him.
 
He chuckled and switched off the light, "Oh izzat a fact now? Like I have found you boring over all these years. You can try to wiggle all that you want, the only way to get out of my plans and ideas will be to tell me straight up that you don't feel the same and that you want to retire to your new estates and become a business woman."
 
"My new estates which you gave me. You don't think that I don't remember that?" Charlie asked, looking over at Dave as he swore that he wouldn't grow bored with her in time. "Would you set me up in a business too? Take care of me like I can't seem to take care of myself?"
 
He scoffed softly.

"I didn't hand you the title and estate, I acted like any ruler would who actually gives a damn about the people around him. I rewarded service. Of course I might have had a bit of an ulterior motive as well, but that is for me to know and decide about."

He stretched out and placed his hands behind his head, "And since you are a smart and resourceful woman, I can assure you that I know that you will need no help to start up your own business."
 
"You, quite literally, are my business. Do you know how much money I've been offered to spill the beans on you?" Charlie asked as she relaxed in bed, looking up at the ceiling. "And how much more money your father offered to make sure that I never talked? The entire world would know if you wore boxers or briefs if I had been any less honorable."
 
"Ah, so I am your money cow? Sell pieces of me to line your wallet, or take bribe money."

He looked up at the dark ceiling as well.

"Even if that is true, I just can't wrap my head around the fact that you would profess your love to me and willingly share a bed, even though it is cold outside."

He turned his head to look at her.

"Perhaps I should do an exposé and tell the world my hair gel preference down to my favorite swimming trunks."

He gave her a grin
 
"You would ruin my future money making endeavors." Charlie said with a grin in return, leaning in to kiss his cheek. "But it would make you more human. Perhaps it isn't such a bad idea after all to let the papers come in and ask you all the questions they like. All the questions that don't have to do with me, however."
 
Back
Top