My most read story

Just to throw something else into the mix:

Stories released on 12/07/12 have an average view count of 6,193 and a median of 3,663 ( 75 stories )

Stories released on 12/06/12 have an average view count of 8,503 and a median of 4,297 ( 99 Stories )

12/07s are probably only showing about 12 hours worth of views, and will probably come out about the same as 12/06s after they update. May go through and do the 12/05s later. Those should be nearing the end of their highest production point and leveling off.

thanks guys and ladies

well I wanted a feel for the numbers and you gave me something to think about.
, I will
When I get finished putting salve on my inferiority complex I will try to console myself with my place here.

I guess that me talking about numbers with you guys is kinda like a sparrow trying to hang with the eagles.

I am impressed with the big numbers you guys have. I need to work harder to write better stories I guess.

The highest viewed story is usually an outlier, and the category makes a BIG difference.

My average as Dark is 15995, as Les 44096, and as RR 63839, for an overall of 33710

Compare that to my top 10 average of around 150,000.

Judging yourself based upon highest totals is just looking for a reason to beat yourself about the head and neck area with a blunt instrument.

The highest viewed story is usually an outlier, and the category makes a BIG difference.

My average as Dark is 15995, as Les 44096, and as RR 63839, for an overall of 33710

Compare that to my top 10 average of around 150,000.

Judging yourself based upon highest totals is just looking for a reason to beat yourself about the head and neck area with a blunt instrument.

Category is a huge factor, for sure. My numbers reflect that. I have a story that has been close to the top of the Top List since I posted it in July 2009. But it's non-erotic and only has 18,500 views.

On the tops list it show a story with a 4.91 being the top score. Is that right? Is that the highest score on the whole site?

I ask because I know that a few things on site are a bit behind the times and in need of an update.

Hell a 4.90 is like reaching for the stars but still I would think that after so many years there might would be a higher score.

That's the highest score on the site with at least 100 votes.

There are probably higher scores, but they aren't on the toplists because they don't have the required 100 yet.

It's actually gone down to that level between implementation of the star voting system and overall more people voting.

That's the highest score on the site with at least 100 votes.

An important distinction. One of my alt accounts has a 5 on a story, but it only has 22 votes, so it's not showing on any top list.

My most viewed story is a father - daughter incest tale and has 1,117,188 views and 3,245votes and 94 comments. The second most votes is 602, also an incest story, and that one has ony 75,336 views. I don't know why it has that many votes to that few views. :confused:

The numbers depend largely on category, and they also depend on the name of the story. My most viewed is "Little" Mandy... and has that many views because of those quotation marks. That's also why you-know-who has so many views on some of his stories, because the punctuation puts it at the start of stories in that category. :eek:

I have other incest stories and anal stories and first time stories that have over 200,000 views also.

I haven't checked my stats for some time, but this is what I found;

Most views: 'A Gift From the Heart' (Incest/Taboo) 133,121 (382 V 4.37 S)

Least views: 'Kismet Ch. 06 (Chain Stories) 1,759 (9 V 4.22 S)

Highest score: 'Coming Clean Ch. 03' (Lesbian Sex) 4.84 (31 V 30,005 Views)

Lowest score: 'Threadbare' (Erotic Couplings) 3.41 (56 V 21,451 Views)

Most Public comments: 'Someday ... I'll Find You' (Romance) 24 (77 V 11,779 Views 4.73 S)

I have 0 comments on several of my stories. :rolleyes:

It's kinda funny

The story that I think is my best, has the lowest score. I tried to get more into the characters heads and I thought made the story much better. But it has my lowest score at 364 with 16,000 or so hits but it has the most votes with 118 and the most comments at 18. The votes were over 150 at one rime but over time they have diminished down to 118.

I had told myself that it was because it was in the loving wives category, that place is a meat grinder for stories.

My story with the highest score is 'The Difference Between Homeless and Helpless' in erotic horror with a score of 472 but it only has 11,778 views and 39 votes

The one that I think is probably some of my best work overall, and also one of my favorites:

To Catch a Merchant Princess Ch. 01 4.67 133 votes 23652 views Sci-Fi & Fantasy 06/07/08 5 PCs 5 Favs
To Catch a Merchant Princess Ch. 02 4.73 135 votes 12191 views Sci-Fi & Fantasy 06/09/08 5 PCs 0 Favs
To Catch a Merchant Princess Ch. 03 4.73 98 votes 10000 views Sci-Fi & Fantasy 08/20/08 2 PCs 1 Favs
To Catch a Merchant Princess Ch. 04 4.83 106 votes 10669 views Sci-Fi & Fantasy 08/21/08 2 PCs 0 Favs
To Catch a Merchant Princess Ch. 05 4.79 136 votes 11373 views Sci-Fi & Fantasy 09/04/08 7 PCs 4 Favs
To Catch a Merchant Princess Ch. 06 4.83 115 votes 9949 views Sci-Fi & Fantasy 11/07/08 17 PCs 3 Favs

well I wanted a feel for the numbers and you gave me something to think about.
, I will
When I get finished putting salve on my inferiority complex I will try to console myself with my place here.

I guess that me talking about numbers with you guys is kinda like a sparrow trying to hang with the eagles.

I am impressed with the big numbers you guys have. I need to work harder to write better stories I guess.

I wouldn't let it get to you.

The categories are so different and the readership so varied you really can't sit there and say a story or an author is better than another, its all subjective.

For instance there are stories in the "hall of fame" listings that I think are terrible(my opinion), but I've found some with low scores/votes and views that I have greatly enjoyed.

So don't worry about it, the important thing is a lot of people find your work and enjoy it.

On the tops list it show a story with a 4.91 being the top score. Is that right? Is that the highest score on the whole site?

I ask because I know that a few things on site are a bit behind the times and in need of an update.

Hell a 4.90 is like reaching for the stars but still I would think that after so many years there might would be a higher score.

There may be a few high but the all time lists are based on 100 votes.

before I pulled it in January I had a BDSM story that was 4.92, but on only 81 votes.

I wanted to leave it there to see if it would hold that score past the necessary 100 votes, but it was a teaser to my novel and didn;t want it left up there so there would be no hassles when I published it.

The story that I think is my best, has the lowest score. I tried to get more into the characters heads and I thought made the story much better. But it has my lowest score at 364 with 16,000 or so hits but it has the most votes with 118 and the most comments at 18. The votes were over 150 at one rime but over time they have diminished down to 118.

I had told myself that it was because it was in the loving wives category, that place is a meat grinder for stories.

My story with the highest score is 'The Difference Between Homeless and Helpless' in erotic horror with a score of 472 but it only has 11,778 views and 39 votes

I learned with Home is Where The Heart is that my opinion of my work means nothing.

I really didn't like the story, it was too sappy for me, but its been my most successful here.

My Winter entry is the same thing. I mentioned on the contest thread(the real one) that I hated it and forced it, but its doing pretty well right now, so apparently there is no accounting for my own taste.

My most viewed story is a Loving Wives piece titled "Desperate Measures: The Fluffer," with 64,776 views since 06/05/2011, 18 comments, and a score of 4.29 off 335 votes. A funny thing about the votes--they went up to around 348 in the first week, dropped to 302 after a sweep, and have risen as high as 345 on four occasions since, only to drop back into the 320s a few days later.

Despite the rather low score, I consider this to be my best story. It's not perfect, but I feel that I accomplished everything I wanted to do in this piece.

My most viewed story is a Loving Wives piece titled "Desperate Measures: The Fluffer," with 64,776 views since 06/05/2011, 18 comments, and a score of 4.29 off 335 votes. A funny thing about the votes--they went up to around 348 in the first week, dropped to 302 after a sweep, and have risen as high as 345 on four occasions since, only to drop back into the 320s a few days later.

Despite the rather low score, I consider this to be my best story. It's not perfect, but I feel that I accomplished everything I wanted to do in this piece.

That seems like a low comment total for LW. Most of them have more even if its just the trolls arguing with each other.

maybe you managed to somehow not inflame any of them.

I wasn't going to post on this thread, because I felt like you. But just to console you, I'll give it a shot:
My story with most views only have 22,827 hits - but I actually think that's quite good, as it has been up less than 3 months.
And I will second LC's advice : "So don't worry about it, the important thing is a lot of people find your work and enjoy it." I think he is absolutely right.

Lowest viewed stories by category:

EROTIC COUPLING: Leprechaun Ch 2: 39,000 views 1160 votes*
ROMANCE: Miss Kiss: 43,000 views 466 votes
INCEST: Jimmy T Ch 2: 47,000 views 935 votes
MATURE: Punked: 50,000 views 843 votes
LOVING WIVES: O’Scouries: 99,000 views 1780 votes
NON CONSENT: Allie: 111,000 views 787 votes

*I believe my lowest viewed one (Leprechaun 2) had a glitch – no views were registered in the first 12 hours even as votes accumulated. So it may well be that my Romance tale was and is my “least viewed”

Average per day? Never figured that one out!

Average per story: about 280,000 but it’s skewed upward by my two mega bestsellers. Without those two the average is about 191,000.

The one thing I always feel bitter about is that 'the slave girl' was a story I wouldn't have even written without some outside influence. A male friend of mine was frustrated that I only wrote in GM, so he begged me to write a straight story, any straight story. I wrote the slave girl in a day and a half and posted it so he would stop bugging me. It has literally twice the views of my most-viewed GM story. Most comments of all of my stories but one.

It's funny, a lot of the comments in my two straight stories (my friend eventually bugged me enough to write another) are saying things along the lines of

'Tell your friend to put more pressure on you, these stories are amazing!'

But that exact friend called me a whore after he found out that I had been sleeping around a bit in college. We aren't friends anymore.

I feel sorry for anyone who really liked 'the slave girl' or 'the half-breed's journey' because I am never going to write another straight story again.

One thing I've noticed with the gm toplists...

I had a story called 'the slave boy' (sort of a spiritual twin of 'the slave girl' :D ) in two parts and after 101 votes it was actually at the tip-top of the gm toplists, at number seven.

The next day when I checked, it was at 34.

Now it's somewhere around 112.

I don't think that it's trolls. I think that it got 100 good votes because of my followers and some people who read it when it was on the new page. Then when it got to the toplists with a very good score, several people who look at the toplists read it and gave their honest opinion. If they thought it didn't belong at the top, they gave it a 4 or less. 'The slave boy 02' is still at one of the highest scores I have, around 4.80. Fluctuating a point or two now and then. I don't think they were giving it low scores, just fair scores.

It's surprisingly easy for an author with a lot of fans to make it to the story toplists for a day or so.

The one thing I always feel bitter about is that 'the slave girl' was a story I wouldn't have even written without some outside influence. A male friend of mine was frustrated that I only wrote in GM, so he begged me to write a straight story, any straight story. I wrote the slave girl in a day and a half and posted it so he would stop bugging me. It has literally twice the views of my most-viewed GM story. Most comments of all of my stories but one.

It's funny, a lot of the comments in my two straight stories (my friend eventually bugged me enough to write another) are saying things along the lines of

'Tell your friend to put more pressure on you, these stories are amazing!'

But that exact friend called me a whore after he found out that I had been sleeping around a bit in college. We aren't friends anymore.

I feel sorry for anyone who really liked 'the slave girl' or 'the half-breed's journey' because I am never going to write another straight story again.

I loved 'the slave girl'.

You have talent. No matter what you write it will be good and maybe you will never write another straight story, but never say never. You never know ;)

One thing I've noticed with the gm toplists...

I had a story called 'the slave boy' (sort of a spiritual twin of 'the slave girl' :D ) in two parts and after 101 votes it was actually at the tip-top of the gm toplists, at number seven.

The next day when I checked, it was at 34.

Now it's somewhere around 112.

I don't think that it's trolls. I think that it got 100 good votes because of my followers and some people who read it when it was on the new page. Then when it got to the toplists with a very good score, several people who look at the toplists read it and gave their honest opinion. If they thought it didn't belong at the top, they gave it a 4 or less. 'The slave boy 02' is still at one of the highest scores I have, around 4.80. Fluctuating a point or two now and then. I don't think they were giving it low scores, just fair scores.

It's surprisingly easy for an author with a lot of fans to make it to the story toplists for a day or so.

No doubt that's true, but the toplists are also a major target of cheerleaders. Watch for a while and you quickly see the pattern of every story except certain ones going down as soon as they appear. The fanbase slams everything trying to usurp their favorite.

I think a better metric for views is the average daily views rather than the total. As has been pointed out Category and Title can dramatically affect the number of views but over the long run Time is arguably the greatest factor. After a few months the average daily views is more informative.

That's just as category/genre dependant as overall views.

Within a category, it's probably a better metric after a while, but even that can be skewed by toplist position, position on your own list, etc.

Looking through a bunch of mine, the vpd follows pretty much the same pattern as the overall views when compared across categories or genres in such categories as incest where mom/son will get so many more views than say, bro/sis.

Back