Why my story rejected?

GforGraham

Literotica Guru
I got a new story rejected for someone dying in it. It contains a car bombing with no death only injuries. It contains a shooting scene where the story character is attacked by men with guns. The bad men die, shot by the hero. It was no blood even mentioned, they just got shot.
Am I not allowed to have people dying in stories?
There was no torture, no rape, not even consensual rape (if that is even a real thing). in fact it contained very little sex at all and they were definitely consensual, no violence at all. Just orgasms.
So why would they say it has torture, rape and whatever? Not even slightly kinky, I am too vanilla to even think of getting kinky.
They don't even point to where the part that got it rejected.
Who do I go to about this?

Laurel skims everything, because she's the only one approving the 60-100 stories that post every day. Mistakes do happen.

If there's no sexual violence ( regular violence has a really high bar, and nothing you mentioned should be an issue ) then just resubmit with a note saying there's no sexual violence. It will most likely go through on the second go.

There is usually a reason given with rejections. Have another look. I would be surprised if it was rejected because someone died.

I got a new story rejected for someone dying in it. It contains a car bombing with no death only injuries. It contains a shooting scene where the story character is attacked by men with guns. The bad men die, shot by the hero. It was no blood even mentioned, they just got shot.
Am I not allowed to have people dying in stories?
There was no torture, no rape, not even consensual rape (if that is even a real thing). in fact it contained very little sex at all and they were definitely consensual, no violence at all. Just orgasms.
So why would they say it has torture, rape and whatever? Not even slightly kinky, I am too vanilla to even think of getting kinky.
They don't even point to where the part that got it rejected.
Who do I go to about this?

The rejection advice will be one of several standard responses, usually expressed as a question regarding content. In your case, what exactly does it say?

The note will NOT refer to any particular section of your story - it's up to you to figure out what the issue is, from the rejection note provided.

Address the question, either by editing content or resubmitting with a clarifying note (use the box at the bottom of the submission page).

The only editor is Laurel, the only way to contact her is via the Notes field just mentioned, or by PM.

Here is the reason, I found on the new lit page format

"While we do accept submissions with graphic violence, we don't accept "snuff" - i.e. death & extreme torture with the aim of sexual titillation. We generally do not accept submissions of nonconsensual sex in which the "victim" gets absolutely no sort of thrill or enjoyment from the acts, or is seriously and /or permanently physically harmed/abused."

I will resubmit with a note as suggested. Certainly none of the above in my story, I am tame compared to most I have read on the site, even on the acceptable stuff.

Thanks for the replies.

Here is the reason, I found on the new lit page format

"While we do accept submissions with graphic violence, we don't accept "snuff" - i.e. death & extreme torture with the aim of sexual titillation. We generally do not accept submissions of nonconsensual sex in which the "victim" gets absolutely no sort of thrill or enjoyment from the acts, or is seriously and /or permanently physically harmed/abused."

I will resubmit with a note as suggested. Certainly none of the above in my story, I am tame compared to most I have read on the site, even on the acceptable stuff.

Thanks for the replies.

Did you click on the link under "rejected" on your submissions page? That will give you a reason for the rejection. It sounds like you're just assuming that it was because of the death(s) and not for some other reason, like Australian slang or spellings?

Did you click on the link under "rejected" on your submissions page? That will give you a reason for the rejection. It sounds like you're just assuming that it was because of the death(s) and not for some other reason, like Australian slang or spellings?

I've used Australian slang and spellings in most of mine, and it's never caused a problem.

He's given the rejection reason stated - that's one of the standard rejection scripts. Those exact words have been cited previously on AH.

in fact it contained very little sex at all and they were definitely consensual, no violence at all. Just orgasms.

So why post it on an erotica site?

Maybe it was for grammar and not the mild death scenes?

Laurel usually says if it's grammar. I'd have to say, based on the OPs post and the subject, there's something about the deaths and violence that's not passing. I've written some stories with violence and death that passed. But the deaths weren't that explicit. It seems like that might be the issue here. Without reading, hard to say. Don't have time right now to volunteer to take a look but maybe post a couple of paragraphs here for us to get an idea of how you're writing it.

And if the OP does, no nasty comments guys. We all need that help when we're starting. Play nice in the sandbox.

See Post 6. The OP now knows why the story was rejected:

and now knows what to do.

Nothing to do with grammar or spelling at all - the rejection was based on the possibility of snuff. The OP can sort this one out with a Note to Editor on their submit page, clarifying there is no snuff.

Have you considered an EDITOR or even a Beta reader ?

Hi
Yes I have and tried a couple of times when people have offered. Unfortunately after my initial contact, no responses. Don't think I need an editor as such, as I have sufficient idea on where I am going with the story and how I want to get there.

I would like to have a proof reader or whatever it is called, and any serious offers would be appreciated. My major concerns are silly mistakes, and that I am not introducing characters or scenes fully.

I have resubmitted my latest story, sorry everyone but it another long segmented yarn. Just a short chapter one to get feedback at this stage to see if worth submitting more.

I am working on another idea in the meantime that maybe if anyone is interested in helping in seeing pre-issue to proof read it would be great. This will be another short chapter one, to get feedback as well. This will be in urban fantasy style.

Do I need to ask in the editors section of the forum?

Hi
Yes I have and tried a couple of times when people have offered. Unfortunately after my initial contact, no responses. Don't think I need an editor as such, as I have sufficient idea on where I am going with the story and how I want to get there.

I would like to have a proof reader or whatever it is called, and any serious offers would be appreciated. My major concerns are silly mistakes, and that I am not introducing characters or scenes fully.

Do I need to ask in the editors section of the forum?

Yes, best place to find an Editor or a Beta reader

Back