Rest in Peace

Yours is the 4th or 5th thread on Hef's demise in LIT forums.

Not criticizing, but be aware of the competition.

Well, I saw it here first.

And I've just confessed that the AH is the first news source I check in the morning.

LET HIM REST IN PEACE, after all, he was responsible for my sexual awaking and the beginning of me writing erotic fiction. I had several readers letter published

Might be a good idea to put in links to such threads.

I guess he'll...

miss October.

(sorry)
Might be a bit early in a way, just in time in another, and cute.

LET HIM REST IN PEACE, after all, he was responsible for my sexual awaking and the beginning of me writing erotic fiction. I had several readers letter published
R.I.P. Hugh Hefner.

Mi dos centavos: Hef will retrospectively be seen as one of the great changers of USA culture. Dictionaries, protest novels and screeds, yellow journalism, broadcasting, Playboy, and finally the Web. The place ain't what it used to be because of those.

I wonder if he took any bunnies with him. Maybe someone should do a bed check.

Hefner paid his Mansion 'bunnies' an allowance of $1000 a week to entertain his guests. Only rules were they could not leave the grounds (and get their 'allowance') and they could not use condoms.

So this great changer of American culture was a sleazy pimp.

Passed away on Hump Day.

Well played, Hef. Well fucking played. :cool:

Hefner paid his Mansion 'bunnies' an allowance of $1000 a week to entertain his guests. Only rules were they could not leave the grounds (and get their 'allowance') and they could not use condoms.

So this great changer of American culture was a sleazy pimp.

... not to mention publishing nudes of ten-year-old Brooke Shields, back when that was legal.

---^^^^---

All true, but I'm trying to think what mid and third quarter twentieth century culture would have been like without Playboy (and, later, Penthouse). A very barren and bleak place, I think.

I for one have fond memories of seventies Playboy (and the articles on the whole were pretty good) - sure, later Hef got pretty sleazy, but on the whole, ground-breaking in the context of his times.

---^^^^---

All true, but I'm trying to think what mid and third quarter twentieth century culture would have been like without Playboy (and, later, Penthouse). A very barren and bleak place, I think.

I for one have fond memories of seventies Playboy (and the articles on the whole were pretty good) - sure, later Hef got pretty sleazy, but on the whole, ground-breaking in the context of his times.

My Dad had a big collection of old Playboy and Penthouse magazines he thought we didn't know about. I had half a dozen friends over for a sleepover and we got them out. I'm sure Hefner will rip better knowing half a dozen 13 year old girls worked themselves up reading each other letters from old Playboys. That memory is just hilarious.

---^^^^---

Indeed, and he did some praiseworthy stuff for civil rights causes. People are complicated and we can acknowledge all of that.

I've been watching people talk about him on TV, and it seems everybody cites the old joke that men read Playboy for the articles.

Yes, as a youth, I stuck many pages together until I learned to aim somewhere else, but the articles, fiction excerpts, movie reviews, cartoons (Little Annie Fanny infiltrating a KKK rally! - Are you kidding? Awesome!) and especially the interviews were excellent. Playboy was a great cover to cover read, which taught me much about urbane sophistication.

I had two friends down the alley and we found a box by the trash which had about thirty old Playboys in it, and I was given stewardship of the box (no, we never jerked off together). To this day, I think that's why my right arm and shoulder are so much more developed than my left. :)

2809321-little_annie_fanny___spray_on_bathing_suit_big_tits_n_nipples_will_elder_color_6x_lrg.jpg

May he rest in peace.

With that said and with all due respect, I've always preferred penthouse.

Little Annie Fanny was drawn by the great Will Elder, the Harpo Marx of the original Mad Comics.

I read a lot of great Science Fiction there, especially by my literary hero, Bob Sheckley, who Hugh gave the job of starting the ill-fated Omni, which was ahead of its time; when Wired came out years later, I thought "meh".

I loved Playboy. I miss pubic hair.

Little Known Fact: Men like to jerk off to pictures of sexy women.

Little Known Fact: Men like to jerk off to pictures of sexy women.

Especially when the pictures are wrapped in stories/articles/interviews by:

Shel Silverstein
Jimmy Breslin
Nat Hentoff
Roald Dahl
Margaret Atwood
Norman Mailer
Ian Fleming
Ray Bradbury
Jack Kerouac
Kurt Vonnegut
James Baldwin
Joseph Heller
Valdimir Nabokov
John Updike
Michael Crichton
P.G. Wodehouse
Arthur C. Clark
John Irving

And that's just from memory. There were so many more.

I started reading Playboy as a teen. I spent years in high school cleverly avoiding reading any of the classics and "old-fashioned" crap my teachers insisted on. But I was curious about why a magazine full of naked women would have so many pages wasted on words. I read some. I got hooked. I quit reading Playboy decades ago, but I have to admit it was the beginning of my interest in top tier writers.

I always thought Hefner was a pig.

rj

The King of Misogyny is dead. Great way to start off domestic violence awareness month withthe death of the ultimate user, black mailer and whore master. Good riddance and....couldn't you take Flint with you?

Back