Flashfic thread: Rotating themes

How many posts to change the topic?

• Total voters
First 1 of 10

“I'm not sure we should be doing this.” Angela batted her eyelashes and stared up at Rick with trepidation. She could feel her body temperature rising.

“Come on, eventually you're going to have to. Wouldn't you rather do it with someone you trust.” He pleaded.

“I know. I know. I just don't want to get caught. You won't say anything if we do it?” Her deep brown eyes searched his.

“Never. I promise.”

She relented. “Okay, okay. Put it in.”

His smile grew almost lecherous as he moved closer. “Great, I love Mario Cart.”

(100 words)

We were set up! And I liked it. Well done you.

“I'm not sure we should be doing this.” Angela batted her eyelashes and stared up at Rick with trepidation. She could feel her body temperature rising.

“Come on, eventually you're going to have to. Wouldn't you rather do it with someone you trust.” He pleaded.

“I know. I know. I just don't want to get caught. You won't say anything if we do it?” Her deep brown eyes searched his.

“Never. I promise.”

She relented. “Okay, okay. Put it in.”

His smile grew almost lecherous as he moved closer. “Great, I love Mario Cart.”

(100 words)

First: 2 0f 10

King Gustav was ruthless and hated by his subjects whom he treated cruelly. He lived in fear of assassination and employed a food taster to avoid poisoning.

One evening he was served two haunches of beef. The taster sampled the first haunch, chewed, swallowed, clutched his throat and collapsed.

He was hauled away and the King began to devour the second haunch. He gasped, his face turned purple and he died instantly.

The Duke of Konigsburg handed the taster a sack of gold saying "A truly impressive performance, my good man."

"Now my family has been avenged," the man replied.

(100 Words)

First 3 of 10

"I remember how beautiful you were the first time I saw you."

Her curves made him moan. He loved how she looked and couldn't stop running his fingers over her.

"I need to be inside you right now," he whispered.

Soft, smooth, and hot, he melted into her, anticipating her response. Fingers so sensitive they ached trailed over every inch he could reach. Power unlike anything he experienced before surged through his body. He needed to slow down and regain his control yet all he could think of was pushing ahead.

Sleek, sexy, and powerful, she was his first car.

(100 words)

"I remember how beautiful you were the first time I saw you."

Her curves made him moan. He loved how she looked and couldn't stop running his fingers over her.

"I need to be inside you right now," he whispered.

Soft, smooth, and hot, he melted into her, anticipating her response. Fingers so sensitive they ached trailed over every inch he could reach. Power unlike anything he experienced before surged through his body. He needed to slow down and regain his control yet all he could think of was pushing ahead.

Sleek, sexy, and powerful, she was his first car.

(100 words)

I think we're establishing an unexpected ending theme. I'm curious. Does she have a sister?

First: 4 of 10

Renn was excited; today father was taking him hunting for the first time. He finished cleaning his rifle and was ready to go. His father appeared and they headed into the forest.

They moved stealthily through the undergrowth, alert for any movement. Their quarry was extremely wary.

His father stopped suddenly and pointed toward a small clearing ahead. A large male was digging there. Renn raised his rifle and fired. The male leapt high and fell dead.

Renn's scaly face twisted in a smile and his plumed crest swished; he had made his first kill. Human meat made excellent stew.

(100 words)

First: 5 of 10

"Relax, baby," she cooed, lips brushing his ear and sending a dirty thrill through him. "I'll be gentle, it being your first time and all..."

He didn't speak once while she undressed him, murmuring appreciatively as she expertly released his now-swollen cock from his shorts and engulfed it in her warm, wet mouth.

Still silent as she mounted him, her fingers grasping, guiding him into her. He may have whimpered as she moved herself sinuously on him. He certainly bit his bottom lip as her determined ministrations brought him to orgasm.

As instructed, he left the money on the nightstand.

100 words

First: 6 out of 10

I don't really remember whose idea it was. Afterward, of course, we could never talk about it. Ever. We had a hard time even making eye contact without flashing back to that night at the quarry. It all started with a dare and things escalated from there.

Belinda was always the daredevil. She was the first to climb out on the big rock and look down into that dark, murky water. She was the first one to jump off the edge. It seemed like hours passed before we saw her body pop up.

Chris was the first one to scream.

100 words

7 out of 10

Virginia Harper was the first one to vanish. Her disappearance went unnoticed for weeks. The mail carrier who stepped over the newspapers on his way to the box called it a shame she'd left all that trash to blow over the neighborhood.

The neighbors called it disgraceful the way she left her poor dogs to starve while she went off gallivanting. The police down at the station called it foul play after she'd been missing for so long. Virginia's church called it a sure sign of the rapture.

Virginia herself, if she could have talked, would have called it murder.

100 words

Virginia Harper was the first one to vanish. Her disappearance went unnoticed for weeks. The mail carrier who stepped over the newspapers on his way to the box called it a shame she'd left all that trash to blow over the neighborhood.

The neighbors called it disgraceful the way she left her poor dogs to starve while she went off gallivanting. The police down at the station called it foul play after she'd been missing for so long. Virginia's church called it a sure sign of the rapture.

Virginia herself, if she could have talked, would have called it murder.

100 words

Nice work, little witch... :)

First: 8 of 10

All was excitement; the first Starship had returned. The Jump Drive had worked. Now mankind could travel between the stars.

The spherical ship landed, its boarding hatch opened, but no one emerged. Curious, the welcoming committee entered, searched the ship and found no one.

Then a voice said "Welcome. We have been waiting for you," and a cluster of glowing spheres appeared. "We were the crew and are now pure energy. We must replenish ourselves and you constitute an excellent source of energy."

They tried to run, but the glowing things absorbed them and then every living thing on Earth.

(100 words)

First: 9 out of 10.

I was not impressed the first time I saw him. He was a total dork. He was in the Radio Club. It didn't get much dorkier than that. His accent didn't help, either. One word out of his mouth and it was evident he was not a local.

I would have always considered him that dork whose locker was next to mine if the jagged edge of a spiral-bound notebook paper hadn't caught my eye. I tugged it loose and read the words scrawled across the page. That dork had a way with words and then his way with me.

100 words

Sidebar - I forget about the sticky's because of the way I have the site set up. I vote to have the contests and threads like this put back in the AH regular threads. Was a thought back when, but a failed experiment, I think. I miss them in the AH proper and would participate.

Hey, where'd the Writer's Challenge sticky go?

ETA: Okay, I'm way behind the times. It's own forum? Man, I'd rather see it back on the AH.

Last edited:
Sidebar - I forget about the sticky's because of the way I have the site set up. I vote to have the contests and threads like this put back in the AH regular threads. Was a thought back when, but a failed experiment, I think. I miss them in the AH proper and would participate.

Hey, where'd the Writer's Challenge sticky go?

Since you posted this in the Writers' Challenge thread, I guess you found it. I was a bit disappointed this wasn't a story.

Since you posted this in the Writers' Challenge thread, I guess you found it. I was a bit disappointed this wasn't a story.

Since I found out it is its own forum I'll probably open a tab and contribute. Feels different that it being in a sticky for some reason.

ETA: Not sure what's going on. Odd. Don't see challenges on the main forum site or on the AH sticky. Think I'll reboot and see what's what tomorrow. Apologize if I was the first to disrupt.

Last edited:
Since I found out it is its own forum I'll probably open a tab and contribute. Feels different that it being in a sticky for some reason.

ETA: Not sure what's going on. Odd. Don't see challenges on the main forum site or on the AH sticky. Think I'll reboot and see what's what tomorrow. Apologize if I was the first to disrupt.

It's the AH. Everyone disrupts.

I'm awaiting your contribution.

First 10 out of 10.

I still remember my first kiss. Well, not so much the kiss itself, as the boy who shared it with me. His name was Ricky. He had dark hair and eyes. I was in fourth grade; he was in third. {I've always been attracted to the ones a bit younger than me.} We spent the whole summer riding my bike. He pedaled and rode on the seat while I sat on the fender, my arms wrapped around his waist.

As for the kiss? Ah, but I'm not a good little witch who kisses and tells, even after all these years.

100 words.

Next topic: Since I can't think of anything else right now... Bubbles.

Bubbles 1 out of 10.

You can make beautiful bubbles by mixing together dish washing detergent and water with a drop or two of glycerin, thought the young girl. They're best blown out in the sunshine so the bright light glints off them, she said to herself as she stared up at the ceiling. They float across the humid air, lingering a bit before they pop.

Yes, soap bubbles are so much prettier than the bubbles I'm now making in the bath. So why are your hands holding me under the water so the bubbles rising to the surface are the last ones I see?

100 words.

Bubbles 2 of 10

It escalated so fast. The officer was dispatched to an upscale apartment complex. Two 911 calls; one from a worried wife hurrying home, one from a neighbor who’d claimed assault.

The officer and wife entered the ransacked ground unit together, finding her kindergartner safe in the bedroom, playing. The husband was absent.

Outside, an agitated man accosted and threatened the officer. He wouldn’t be calmed. Off his medicine, she’d been told, psychotic. He advanced, was warned, the pepper spray inadequate. Shots barked. The glistening red bubbles slowly dissolved on the father’s chest as his face softened and his family collapsed.

100 words

Last edited:
Bubbles 3 of 10

He watched as the first floor went up. The flames licked at the dry timbers. It grew by the minute, spreading out across the floorboards and up the stairs.

Lucas bit down on his bottom lip. Fire had always fascinated Lucas. He loved to watch it. Feel its heat. Hear the crackle of wood feeding it. The anticipation of the scream was ecstasy. He could feel his heart racing. Would they wake up? Could they get out? It was always a mystery. He loved it.

His voice was euphoric in its pleasure as he watched. “And I killed Bubbles, too.”

(100 words)

Bubbles: Four of Ten

"Are you sure this will work, old woman?" the Duke snarled. "If it does not I will burn this hut to the ground with you in it."

"Never fear," Hecate cackled as she stirred the bubbling cauldron. "This potion will make any woman fall in love with the first man she sees."

"It better," the Duke growled. "Long I have lusted for the Millers daughter. Now she will be mine."

"It is done," Hecate announced, "Here, taste."

Unthinking, the Duke did so.

"Did I say it works on men too?" Hecate cackled.

"You did not, my love," The Duke replied.

(100 words)

Bubbles 5 out of 10.

She poured the last drops from the bottle into her glass and watched the bubbles in the champagne rise to the top of the flute and then slowly sink back to the bottom. She sipped because she needed something to do right now, not really enjoying the crisp, clear taste of grapes or raspberries or cherries or whatever it was the sommelier said when he helped her chose tonight's bottle.

The golden liquid in the crystal glass across from her had long since gone flat. Just one more glass, she thought, I'll wait for him ten more minutes and then...

100 words.

Back