NaNo WriMo 2011

matriarch

Rotund retiree
Joined
May 25, 2003
Posts
22,743
This is becoming mainstream now.....BBC news are running a piece on it on breakfast time today......and inviting people to send in their opening sentence. They are discussing the number of people who have become published authors after taking part in Na No.

I wish I had the discipline to do this, and maybe one day I will.
 
It can be beneficial even for people who know it's unlikely or impossible for them to actually hit the 50k word goal. Even if they only write 10k, hey, you wrote 10k, that's much better than 0k, and maybe they even had fun and experienced a sense of community in the process.
 
I have done NaNoWriMo twice, and finished twice.

It is a little competitive, very inspirational, and just plain enjoyable if you aren't stressing about the end result. I am already getting ready for November and deciding what I will work on this time.
 
I've done NaNo four times now, completing each one. The first year I was done in ten days. Last year I needed the entire month. The NaNo group in my city meets weekly plus holds a day of writing. We have a kick-off party to mark the beginning and a wrap-up party to celebrate the end. Although I never get much done at the write-ins, I find them enjoyable and interesting.

This year I have the first week of November without classes so I can focus on writing. Hopefully I'll have a good share of the 50k done in that week.
 
The new and improved NaNo site is up. The purpose for some changes is to prevent all the first day slow-running issues from past years. I haven't had time to check much out yet, but I hope to real soon.
 
I've never done it before, but I am this year. I'm not sure if it's cheating, but I'm taking a project I've been sitting on for months into NaNo. It's at 16,000 words already... so I wrote up an outline, got the cover ready, and am all for it.

Heck, it all goes well, it'll be written by November 30, and published in early 2012. At at least, that's the plan. :D
 
I've never done it before, but I am this year. I'm not sure if it's cheating, but I'm taking a project I've been sitting on for months into NaNo. It's at 16,000 words already... so I wrote up an outline, got the cover ready, and am all for it.

Heck, it all goes well, it'll be written by November 30, and published in early 2012. At at least, that's the plan. :D

You can use old projects no problem. You just can't count the 16,000 words toward the 50k for the month.

Good luck and have fun.
 
I'm in for Nanowri - Considering an anthology of three novellas (Erotic romance, bdsm, threesomes)
 
This will be my first NaNo, but I'm committed to seeing it through. I'll be a father of twin girls come December, so I see it as my last big writing project before my free time becomes much, much more valuable. I'm excited for it!
 
This will be my first NaNo and I'm excited. I've contemplated doing it for a few years so this year I'm taking the plunge! I've got a list of character names and an outline of sorts with ideas for scenario's. Only a few more days til kickoff. Good luck everyone. :)
 
I'm a masochist, so I'll be doing NaNo this year as well.

I came up with the idea for a story only last week, and I'm still - 7 minutes before the Start - trying to come up with ideas for the complex riddles the main characters will have to solve in order to complete their quest.:rolleyes:

It will start with a genocide and end with a sword-fight inside an erupting volcano. There will be some new age stuff just for the hell of it (hey, it worked for Dan Brown!), some not-so-subtle gay jokes, and a reference to The Mummy Returns.:D
 
The Crown, the Rogue, and the Shaman:

Alon the Shaman has lost his wife and child and all his tribe. They have all been murdered on the orders of King Parreal. Alon vows to rid the world of the evil king, but Parreal's well protected by the powerful witch Malfaite, and Alon is no match for her.
After escaping from prison, Alon teams up with Teeg the Rogue and they go on a quest to find the one thing that may help Alon defeat the bloodthirsty witch and her lover; the magic crown of the legendary High King Wingyod.
 
Ok, so it's a fantasy novel for teenagers. I seem to unconciously favour that category. Hmmmm, what does that say about me as a person?:catgrin:
 
I hope those who decided to participate in NaNo are doing well. The local group here meets every Tuesday night for writing, raffles, and conversation.

Good luck everyone and keep at it!
 
Excerpt from my NaNovel -11

The historian coughed and wheezed and struggled to get some air. Malfaite smiled softly at the fear in his eyes.

"Let's try this again", she said. "And this time, you answer truthfully or I will have to punish you again."

She removed the hex she had put on him, and the old man drew several deep breaths.

"The two young men who just left... what did they want?"

"They wanted to... hear about... an historical person", the historian wheezed.

"Really? How interesting. Who? Who did they ask about?"

"King Wingyod... the Great."

"Why did they want to learn more about him?"

"I don't know! They wouldn't say! I swear! One of them threatened me when I asked about it!"

"So what DID you tell them?"

"I read out loud from that book", the old man pointed to the thick volume on his desk.

Malfaite read through the chapter on King Wingyod the Great quickly and silently. The historian carefully inched his way towards the door while her back was turned. Without pausing in her reading, Malfaite raised a hand daintly and the old man collapsed on the floor, clawing furiously at the invisible snare around his throat. His sight was beginning to dim, but he did see Malfaite close thee thick volume and place it under her arm. She kneeled beside him and smiled sweetly.

"Now, that was a stupid thing to do, wasn't it?"

The historian's eyes moved with difficulty from her face to the book under her arm.

"You don't mind if I take this with me, do you? It's not like you will need it where you're going."

As she stood up, the old man grabbed her ancle and stared pleadingly at her.

"What's that? What do you want? Well, speak up, man! I can't hear you?" she teased him.

He managed a sound somewhere between a cough and a kitten's mew.

"Take the hex off? Is that what you're trying to tell me?"

She grinned.

"Now WHY would I do that?"

She kicked him in the face and left.
 
I don't know about you but NaNoWriMo is kicking my butt. I had some awful news before the start of the month and I cant focus. My characters are perpetually depressed and anti-soical. I need to find some comedy soon.

Anyone else lagging behind on word count?
 
I don't know about you but NaNoWriMo is kicking my butt. I had some awful news before the start of the month and I cant focus. My characters are perpetually depressed and anti-soical. I need to find some comedy soon.

Anyone else lagging behind on word count?

So sorry you had bad news. :rose:

I'm behind. I ended up with a wrist brace because of ligament issues the last week of October. I'm still wearing it. Right now I have about 18k.
 
Well, I'm not too far behind in my word count but the novel is confused. I know what I wanted to write but I think I didn't do enough research ahead of time and now I don't know how to write it It's not going the way I had hoped.
 
Well, I'm not too far behind in my word count but the novel is confused. I know what I wanted to write but I think I didn't do enough research ahead of time and now I don't know how to write it It's not going the way I had hoped.

My local NaNo group does daily word prompts as well as a jar of popsicle sticks with words, thoughts, and challenges. I sat down at a bit after midnight and began writing. After using a dozen or more sticks at weekly write-ins, my characters are way off track.

But I figure I can delete a bunch later. Then again, there's a good chance I'll never do anything with the story, so it doesn't matter where the characters go. ;)
 
My local NaNo group does daily word prompts as well as a jar of popsicle sticks with words, thoughts, and challenges. I sat down at a bit after midnight and began writing. After using a dozen or more sticks at weekly write-ins, my characters are way off track.

But I figure I can delete a bunch later. Then again, there's a good chance I'll never do anything with the story, so it doesn't matter where the characters go. ;)

I guess that's the problem.. I care too much about this novel. I've been trying to write it for three years and I have high hopes for it. Maybe not the best one to write during Nano.
 
I've tried to do NaNoWriMo a few times, but the end result is always the same. I get really into it for a while, then get writer's block and give up lol. I truly need some more discipline.
 
I always start doing NaNoWriMo then fade out about halfway through. I'm too much of a perfectionist and I feel like I'm just slapping something together in order to finish. Maybe I'll give it another try this year.
 
I always start doing NaNoWriMo then fade out about halfway through. I'm too much of a perfectionist and I feel like I'm just slapping something together in order to finish. Maybe I'll give it another try this year.

The usual suggestion is to use the month to write anything, and then spend the next month editing/revising, whipping it into shape.

NaNoWriMo can be used however you want. The only person who really knows whether you completed the challenge is yourself.

I used it to set myself my own challenge - to write 50,000 words of interconnected stories, to edit them and have them all posted on Literotica before the end of the NaNoWriMo month. I did it, with my twelve chapters of Flawed Red Silk.

Since then I have tended to use NaNoWriMo to get basic drafts of some stories that were on the pending heap. I don't know, or care, whether I actually write 50,000 words, or more, or less. I use the time to write enough of each to sort possible stories into probable stories and rejected stories.
 
Every year I begin NaNoWriMo and end up giving up halfway through.

Maybe I'll finally finish this year...
 
Back
Top