My Favorite Quotes

re

"No one can persuade another to change. Each of us guards a gate of change that can only be opened from the inside. We cannot open the gate of another, either by arguement or by emotional appeal" Marilyn Ferguson

"How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone" Gabrielle Chanel

"Criticizing others is a dangerous thing, not so much because you may make mistakes about them, but because you may be revealing the truth about yourself"

"Everything that lives, lives not alone, nor for itself" William Blake
 
Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of withering, of tarnishing.

Anais Nin​
 
You wondered how you’d make it through. I wondered what was wrong with you. Because how could you give your love to someone else, yet share your dreams with me? Sometimes the only thing you’re looking for, is the one thing you can’t see.

~Vanessa Williams~​
 
garbage can said:
John Greenleaf Whittier

For all sad words of tongue and pen, the saddest are these, 'It might have been.'​

Some of life's hurts you have cursed
Some of them still yet survive
But oh what transports of grief we endure
Over evils which never arrive!
 
"... I have, myself, full confidence that if all do their duty, if nothing is neglected, and if the best arrangements are made, as they are being made, we shall prove ourselves once again able to defend our Island home, to ride out the storm of war, and to outlive the menace of tyranny, if necessary for years, if necessary alone.

At any rate, that is what we are going to try to do. That is the resolve of His Majesty's Government-every man of them. That is the will of Parliament and the nation.

The British Empire and the French Republic, linked together in their cause and in their need, will defend to the death their native soil, aiding each other like good comrades to the utmost of their strength.

Even though large tracts of Europe and many old and famous States have fallen or may fall into the grip of the Gestapo and all the odious apparatus of Nazi rule, we shall not flag or fail.

We shall go on to the end, we shall fight in France, we shall fight on the seas and oceans, we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air, we shall defend our Island, whatever the cost may be, we shall fight on the beaches, we shall fight on the landing grounds, we shall fight in the fields and in the streets, we shall fight in the hills; we shall never surrender, and even if, which I do not for a moment believe, this Island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our Empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, would carry on the struggle, until, in God's good time, the New World, with all its power and might, steps forth to the rescue and the liberation of the old."


Sir Winston Churchill,June 4th 1940
 
I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this government: "I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears and sweat."

We have before us an ordeal of the most grievous kind. We have before us many, many long months of struggle and of suffering.

You ask, what is our policy? I can say: It is to wage war, by sea, land and air, with all our might and with all the strength that God can give us; to wage war against a monstrous tyranny, never surpassed in the dark, lamentable catalogue of human crime. That is our policy.

You ask, what is our aim? I can answer in one word: It is victory, victory at all costs, victory in spite of all terror, victory, however long and hard the road may be; for without victory, there is no survival.


Sir Winston Churchill, May 13th 1940
 
I hold it to be the inalienable right of anybody to go to hell in his own way
~Robert Frost

Be as beneficent as the sun or the sea, but if your rights as a rational being are trenched on, die on the first inch of your territory.
~Ralph Waldo Emerson
 
Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

Sir Winston Churchill, August 20th 1940

Lady Astor: "Winston, if I were your wife I'd put poison in your coffee."
Churchill: "Nancy, if I were your husband I'd drink it."
 
"Where's all this fucking water coming from?" The Captain of the Titanic, 1912


"What the fuck was that?" Mayor of Hiroshima, 1945
 
Wasn't the whole point of the American Revolution to break away from a bunch of mentally defective hereditary leaders called George?

don't completely agree with it, but it did make me snort.
 
It isn't premarital sex if you have no intention of getting married.
-- Drew Carey
 
VelvetDarkness said:
Some of life's hurts you have cursed
Some of them still yet survive
But oh what transports of grief we endure
Over evils which never arrive!
Good one.... a keeper
 
The tragedy of life is not that it ends so soon, but that we wait so long to begin it.

~W. M. Lewis~​
 
When you love someone, all your saved-up wishes start coming out.
~ by Elizabeth Bowen (1899-1973) ~
 
No man is truly married
until he understands
every word his wife is NOT saying.
~ by Unknown ~
 
secrets_within said:
No man is truly married
until he understands
every word his wife is NOT saying.
~ by Unknown ~

I would say in that case that no man is truly married. :D
 
How could an Angel break my heart? Why didn’t he catch my falling star? I wish I didn’t wish so hard. Maybe I wished our love apart.

~Toni Braxton~​
 
garbage can said:
You wondered how you’d make it through. I wondered what was wrong with you. Because how could you give your love to someone else, yet share your dreams with me? Sometimes the only thing you’re looking for, is the one thing you can’t see.

~Vanessa Williams~​
This is a sad quote.
 
Love never dies a natural death. It dies because we don't know how to replenish its source. It dies of blindness and errors and betrayals. It dies of illness and wounds; it dies of weariness, of withering, of tarnishing.

~ Anais Nin ~​
 
"Wish I didn't know now, what I didn't know then" Bob Seagher

"He doesn't have a name so death can't find him" - Taken From Waterworld.
 
Back
Top