Mental Illness

I kno sum of the ppl that's posted here has way worse troubles than I do or atleast it seems that way 2 me but personally but the dr told me I have general depression, a genetic depression and ptsd from being molested as a child. I have took their meds they gave me sum made me happy but sick 2 the point of throwing up sum made me worse. I have found that smoking a good ole joint will help me better than anything but my wife doesn't support the idea of me smokin pot bc of our children which I can understand that 2 a point. I also have trouble being around large groups of ppl that's why I opt 2 chat with ppl online and it works but I'm not sure if its healthy 2 b like that lol. I have never wanted 2 sleep I fight it till I pass out most times and after reading sum here mayb that's bc of the depression issues idk but 2 everyone that has issues I hope that u can find a way 2 cope and enjoy ur life
 
I've overthrown society all my life.

I've literally wrestled demons in my sleep.

We have a real life home group, and if I cannot survive the hellfire here --

I am not fit to lead and protect.
 
Mental illness is serious business. I Have PTSD, have been also recently diagnosed with Bi-polar and I can't do large or loud crowds due to combat issues. I never had any of these issues before i went to combat. I have a sister who is manic depressive bi-polar with borderline personality disorder. she doesn't take her meds like she should and when she does she drinks on them. Which in turns makes them not work. My sister is a train wreck in everyones life. I believe that most mental illnesses can be handled its a combination of things the right drugs, therapy, the personal drive to learn to cope with these issues, and support from family and real friends. The kinks I have sexually I had before my mental issues. For some the mental issues or abuse suffered drives them to the kink for the wrong reasons. This happens in a lot of relationships. not just kinky ones. The human body is amazing as I have worked in the medical field for the last 10 yrs. I believe with modern meds, support and the human spirit to overcome things is what will truly make is better again. For any who struggle with any health issues mental or physical do not give up.
 
Looked over The Mood Cure : the 4-Step Program to Rebalance Your Emotional Chemistry and Rediscover Your Natural Sense of Well-being by Julia Ross from the point where it claimed a high protein and fat diet was essential to good moods, I was wary.

At the point it said that vegetarians will have trouble getting certain things that help moods because those things are ONLY in meat and dairy, I called bullshit.

It got worse when it mentioned the soy "menace". This book might sound reasonable at first. It talks about eating natural and so on but it's utter crap.
 
This is what I'm was trying to get my girl to do this summer. Good for you!

What a good discussion. I agree with a lot that has already been said; especially the comments about over diagnosis and living a sedentary lifestyle. I also think that doctors are quick to prescribe medications without trying other alternatives first. Some mental illness is manageable without medication, but of course not all.

I've been coping with depression for as long as I can remember. As a kid my mother just said I was "moody and shy" but in my teens I was diagnosed with depression and promptly put on Prozac without trying any other approach to deal with the illness. This was okay for a while then I started to feel numb, apathetic and not myself. I wasn't sad, I wasn't happy, I just was. Throughout my teens and early 20s I was on and off whatever anti-depressant was popular at the time. I would take them for a few months and be over-the-top happy then I would start to flatline again, at that point I would discontinue the meds.

During my early 20s I started to get introspective, asking myself why I was making the decisions that I was making. Why are you so negative? Why so judgemental? Why so bitchy and unpleasant? And most importantly what is this doing for you? I was making myself miserable and compounding it day after day with the thoughts that I chose to embrace and the actions that I chose day in and day out. From that day forward (as I was walking across my college campus, observing what I perceived to be as happy people) I decided that for the most part I color my own world, and I wasnt going to let my depression bury me. I can claw my way out. It was about this time that I evaluated my diet and the chemical filled shit that I was putting into my body--I drank almost 2 liters of pop a day and most of the food I consumed was artificial fast food, single serving quick food with no real nutrition. You know what they say, you are what you eat...and I felt like shit, and acted like an asshole.

Long story short I gave my life an overhaul. From the physical to the mental.

...so cut to today, without monitoring what I eat, without yoga (this is my mental release), without weight lifting and checking in with myself on the regular I would be a completely different person--or I might not even be here. And also without my daily affirmations (yes...I sound like Stuart Smalley) I could easily let that negativity dictate my choices. I control what I can and try to make good decisions.

That being said I am not perfect, everyone has their bad days and you cannot control your thoughts; so yes, judgement creeps in. But instead of going along with it I ask myself what is the motivation for those thoughts/feelings, can I turn it around? I know if i'm starting toward a downward spiral and I evaluate what could potentially be taking me there (did you eat too much ice cream? did you miss a workout/yoga class? have you seen your friends/family recently?) and try to fix it. Of course there isnt always an answer, and sometimes it just is; and a good healthy cry can help, or talking it out with a loved one.

To answer the original question...how do I feel about mental illness? I think it is slowly being more and more recognized in today's society, and some stigma is lifted as it becomes more prevalent. However, because you can't outright measure it like a physical illness there will always be some skepticism from those that have no experience. I feel that when you get to know yourself you can begin to cope with what your dealing with. With meds or without.

How do I feel about those that refuse meds? I can relate. I would refuse to take mine at times because I would have rather felt sad/angry than feel nothing at all. But this is just from a mild depression standpoint. If you are a danger to yourself or others in society and you *know* this, but you decide not to take your medication---or seek other ways to deal with mental illness--then this is just irresponsible and unacceptable.
 
*hugs* I hope you are having splendid days too.

I have a son who ... has some issues. He just turned 13 this May. We've been through about every available "therapy" and medication possible. I can tell you that insurance definitely tries to step in and have a say in the least cost-affect manner being the one they will "allow". Some recent testing turns out that we may be leading down the path of Aspergers which is an entire new show in its-self.

I think that today's lead on "mental illness" has a great deal to do with over-population. All these people in a relatively (in comparison) tiny planet ..

Anyways, I just wanted to say that having children with illnesses, being the one or having relatives with illnesses -- you all aren't alone. It's a very hard road to travel. And much easier to know you have company.

Hope you all are having splendid days.

-a
 
This is not okay. Bad behavior is not warranted by others bad behavior.

I do not run a clique ever, much less of people that attack others.

If you meant me as your furry mother, I'm not anyone's mother on here. If I were you'd have some serious consequences to deal with for this post and many others.

Mmmhmm, and while you're at it you can suck my hubby's dick, pissant. Do it inccorectly and you will be schooled in the fine art of pain. This female is armed and dangerous, fucktard. However, I do forgive you for being a villiage idiot. Be smart and stay away from me until your parents teach you proper etiquette.

All hear this: sdineen is innocent of e-rape. He, though, cannot help his current status as village idiot. Let the public record serve as evidence to his mental condition. As court jester and public defender, I move to suspend judgement until his mother and father teach him proper etiquette.

How many times have I already threatend an out loud rampage of epoch proportion? Right now I'm loving all of you, but I'm not fucking dead yet, fuckers! Think I'm bad when I lack sleep? Pah, child's play. *scratches head* Wait a minute, did I threaten a rampage? Oh wells, IT the white boobed menace ANTICHRIST Generation X spawn is ... somewhat sated. Mahahaha. I Am the eldest on both sides of my family, so don't fuck with me. I love to hurt things, you bunch of sillies! Anyone who would attempt to prey on my innocence will meet their doom vigilante style. Step on my sense of justice one too many times and I will dance upon the ashes of mine enemy, and not even the Gatekeeper will keep you safe if I feel you're guilty. And as an aside, I honestly cannot express in words the amount of love I have for everyone here, even if I don't yet like some of you. And truth be told, some people hate me for the fact that I have no hang-ups about who I am. At least they hate me for that rather than the color of my skin, country where I reside, economic status... 1% I AM coming for you, and I do it in my real life, too. Tell me that one woman's force cannot move society, pfft. I love you, Stella. Keep fighting! I respect you for that. *hugs*

*smiles triumphantly*

*skips off happily to hug her Furry momma*

Mommy, whenever anyone hears my giggle come out as mah hah hah ha ha or any variation of evil laughter my meanass is rising, but I promise that I will use incredible restraint before I let it out on society ... maybe. I will listen to your advice, and try to behave appropriately. *chuckles*

I'm trying to determine my own family and I see so many of them. I hope you do not mind being... smelled? I think from now on I will seek permission before I... sniff people.
 
It helped when she moved out. She is back for now. She will likely move back out by fall. *crosses fingers*

All I want is for her to be as healthy and comfortable as she can maintain and independent. I do not want my entire life to have to deal with various crisis of her making.

This is a piece of my life, too. :rose::rose: If you figure out how to disengage, let me know.
 
With my mother, I won't go to hell with her. I'm done with that. She nearly pulled me into her black hole. I've had to put serious limits on what time I spend with her. Or when I listen to or answer her calls just to survive.

If I talk with her too early, she is able to remember what she wants from me. It's never anything I want to give her. Anything I want to give her, she quickly decides she doesn't want.

If I talk with her or listen to her messages too late, I have nightmares. I often can't eat if I talk with her but she does sent me to the bathroom pretty quickly. LOL

Whereas with my girl, I believe most of the time, she is still fighting. Lately, I'm not so sure. She seems too out of it. She seems like she wants me to entertain her which really pisses me off on so many levels.

I get the feeling that no matter what I do, any good I might do her is barely a drop in the bucket, if even that.

Yesterday I asked her what her goal for this past week has been? She didn't know.

I asked her what she most didn't want to talk about? She didn't know.

I asked her what she had done for herself to make her life or moods better this week. She didn't know.

I asked her how she would rate her depression? She said a 6. Now keep in mind when her physical pain was at it's worse the most she said it was, was a six. Like me, she has a high pain threshold.

I asked her how she would rate her happiness. She said a 2.

Yeah. I'm scared.

I suggested that when she did something for herself or her family or community, she send a note to herself about it right then via her phone. That way she'd know she was doing things for herself and others.

She suddenly decided she "had" to go swimming yesterday. I was exhausted. I took her but told her I would absolutely not swim unless and until I wanted to, rather than for her. She had to enjoy swimming and life herself.

Afterwards to my great surprise she said she did feel better and more calm. Lately, no matter what you do, she is spacey, and "nothing" seems to "help." Scary.

FF

:rose:

Or, as I told my sister, I will go to Hell with you, but I will not go for you.
 
*chuckle-hug*
You don't pull this bullshite with me, or with anyone who hasn't given you permission.

Aside from being offensive, your outbursts are worrying.

You need to talk to your doctors about getting your meds balanced.
 
I agree.

:rose:

You don't pull this bullshite with me, or with anyone who hasn't given you permission.

Aside from being offensive, your outbursts are worrying.

You need to talk to your doctors about getting your meds balanced.
 
Someone just sent me this link.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/what-doesnt-kill-us/201206/harvesting-hope

Five useful tips on harvesting hope are:

1. Don’t underestimate the power of hope – make it your aim to be more hopeful even if this seems impossible.

2. Look for stories of recovery that inspire you – read and listen to accounts of people who have overcome the worst.

3. Seek out relationships that cultivate hope in you – spend time with those who encourage and bring out the best in you.

4. Think about how you have overcome obstacles in the past – what are the steps you took to manage a previous situation? How can you apply this to your current situation?

5. Imagine a future in which you will be doing things that give you pleasure – in a year what you like to be doing that you can’t now? In five years?
 
Did Stephen Fry's gobsmackingly excellent serious documentary about bipolar ever make it across the Atlantic?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3EacQ4GfiU

(That is Part 1 - the other Parts are also on Youtube)

I always wondered why there seems to be such a shortage of good media on the subject, other than books, which there are a few. Any recommendations are welcome.

If anyone has seen the movie Limitless, I felt that was inspired by bipolar disorder.
 
Can you summarize? I like words, written words, not lectures or vids.

He talks about his own bipolar (which he'd had all his life but which was only diagnosed when he was 37, after an extremely depressed episode where he disappeared and people thought he was dead). He talks to celebrities and others who are bipolar. He and others describe in detail the experience of being bipolar - the the mania, the depression - the pros of being bipolar and the cons.

The series was a huge thing in the UK - it vastly increased public understanding of the condition, and vastly destigmatised it. It was also fascinating and very well put together. And Stephen Fry is just so darned likeable and watchable.

Edited to add: Just found another link, with a short written summary -

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/stephen-fry-the-secret-life-of-the-manic-depressive/
 
Last edited:
I enjoyed Limitless.

I always wondered why there seems to be such a shortage of good media on the subject, other than books, which there are a few. Any recommendations are welcome.

If anyone has seen the movie Limitless, I felt that was inspired by bipolar disorder.
 
Great sounding. Thanks so much for writing that out! I'll recommend it to some people now!

*hugs*

FF

:rose:

He talks about his own bipolar (which he'd had all his life but which was only diagnosed when he was 37, after an extremely depressed episode where he disappeared and people thought he was dead). He talks to celebrities and others who are bipolar. He and others describe in detail the experience of being bipolar - the the mania, the depression - the pros of being bipolar and the cons.

The series was a huge thing in the UK - it vastly increased public understanding of the condition, and vastly destigmatised it. It was also fascinating and very well put together. And Stephen Fry is just so darned likeable and watchable.

Edited to add: Just found another link, with a short written summary -

http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/stephen-fry-the-secret-life-of-the-manic-depressive/
 
Back
Top