Replying to feedback

CassidyCaine

Virgin
I was wondering what other authors do when they get feedback e-mailed to them with the person's registered email. Do you respond or just let it go? Do readers expect to be emailed back after submitting feedback or do they think it anonymous? I'm not sure if the readers who dropped me the feedback did so because I didn't realize I had to turn on PMs until a week in. I ask because those feedback submissions really got me through my first week here when the nasty comments quickly started flowing in which amounted to 'you suck, stop writing'. Just wondering if it's ok to let them know how appreciative I am of their feedback but don't want to freak anyone out if it's normally not expected.

Thanks,
Cassidy

I respond to all of them. If the comment is kind of generic, "Think your stuff is hot" I reply with a standard, "Thank you for taking the time to let me know you enjoy my work."

If its a detailed remark about story I will reply to their remark. I do this whether it is a good comment or a critique. If I disagree with the critique I will politely make my point or agree if I feel it was fair.

As for utter nastiness I don't reply, but it is rare to get a "fuck off and die" comment with an e-mail those are usually anonymous(of course)

One thing I find kind of surprising-and disappointing- is how many people I reply to come back and say how few authors respond to them, Most authors are here looking for feedback and ask for it so I would think they would like to converse with their fans.

I was wondering what other authors do when they get feedback e-mailed to them with the person's registered email. Do you respond or just let it go? Do readers expect to be emailed back after submitting feedback or do they think it anonymous? I'm not sure if the readers who dropped me the feedback did so because I didn't realize I had to turn on PMs until a week in. I ask because those feedback submissions really got me through my first week here when the nasty comments quickly started flowing in which amounted to 'you suck, stop writing'. Just wondering if it's ok to let them know how appreciative I am of their feedback but don't want to freak anyone out if it's normally not expected.

Thanks,
Cassidy

People can send feedback either anonymously or not. So yeah, if the feedback isn't anonymous, it's nice to send back a note of thanks.

I respond to e-mailed comments. There's no telling what the motivations are for an individual reader who posts or sends comments, though.

I think its only polite to respond to legit feedback. I always do. If they took the time, why shouldn't you? But if its only someone wanting to be my Daddy, I won't.

I always reply to private feedback - whoever it was took the time out to write it to me and did so in a private/personal manner. Just like we like getting comments, they like being acknowledged.

-V

I write for my own enjoyment - the readers can take it or leave it as far as I am concerned.

However I have come to appreciate and learned a lot from the feed-back, so I have become a lot more responsive to my readers over time and usually reply.

I've only received a little PM or EM feedback. Of COURSE they all deserve a response! I respond to many story/poem comments, too. There's little enough dialog between authors and readers -- it should be encouraged.

Of course

When somebody sends a private feedback with their personal email id, they are sending it with the hopes of getting a reply from the author.

I respond to all of them. If the comment is kind of generic, "Think your stuff is hot" I reply with a standard, "Thank you for taking the time to let me know you enjoy my work."

If its a detailed remark about story I will reply to their remark. I do this whether it is a good comment or a critique. If I disagree with the critique I will politely make my point or agree if I feel it was fair.

As for utter nastiness I don't reply, but it is rare to get a "fuck off and die" comment with an e-mail those are usually anonymous(of course)

One thing I find kind of surprising-and disappointing- is how many people I reply to come back and say how few authors respond to them, Most authors are here looking for feedback and ask for it so I would think they would like to converse with their fans.

Bull shit. You don't respond to all comments.

When somebody sends a private feedback with their personal email id, they are sending it with the hopes of getting a reply from the author.

Good point... although I frequently get feedback with suggestions that I perform certain anatomically impossible acts involving my mother, a bunch of farm-animals or both. I have replied in kind to a few, but generally I don't really sense a desire for a closer dialog behind them...

Thanks,
Cassidy

I always respond, except for Anon. And I also believe in contacting those writers who have provided me with special enjoyment via their submissions. Writing is a lonely business and personal feedback is welcome contact: at least someone out there is reading my efforts!

I do try to respond if I see the comment within a couple of days of its arrival.

But I don't always check my personal page for alerts, particularly if I'm away, and I can miss them. I can't see the point of responding weeks later. I did, once, and the commentor's response was "Did I say that? I can't remember commenting.".

I would like to respond to all, but with over 200 posted stories, I can and do miss new comments. Jeanne_D_Artois is even worse than me. She doesn't check her own page more than once a month unless she has posted a new story.

Apologies if I haven't responded. I appreciate (most) comments.

As lovecraft68 says, I respond to say thanks, and I also answer any questions or respond to observations. It doesn't take long, and if someone took the time to read and then send the email with their opinions, I don't mind a quick reply.

There are comments, and there is feedback sent to my email address.

My post above related to comments - which I don't necessarily see in a reasonable time. Since I wrote the post above I found a comment I had never read from 2012.

Feedback to my email address I try to respond to, but with caution. One apparent email address wasn't - it was a link to an infested site disguised as an email address.

Feedback.

Whenever I get feedback I always reply either on here or to my private email address. Some people have also gave me ideas on what to do and others I have explained I will not explore that much of a darker fantasy which I am happy to say people have respected that.

Ditto to all the rest. If someone takes the time to send feedback to my actual e-mail, rather than at the end of the story, and if they provide a return e-mail addie (which the rude ones never do), then I'll happily reply to to them.They may not be expecting a reply, but they're likely hoping for one.

I absolutely always reply to emailed feedback no matter what.

Until it ever becomes physically impossible for me to do it - way too many emails, something like that - then I will continue to do it.

I try to diffuse any over-the-top negative comments, if they turn up. I'm not a distant person, definitely not distant to anyone who can also write, even if these are 'just' comments or advice, because essentially, I am writing for 'readers;' for readers to actually enjoy what I'm writing.

If I remember correctly, the form for sending feedback says something like, "Put your email address down if you want an answer." It has a specific area just for email address. So I assume anyone sending a return address is hoping for an answer.

I sometimes use it to tell an author that I really enjoyed his/her work. Sometimes I pester them by asking for a sequel.

I love getting feedback and I think I've answered every one that I have got that included an address. Heck, there's been a few times recently that I've sent feedback to readers who made a public comment. I don't imagine they expected that, but I've always been polite when I did it, apologized for sending it, just saying I appreciated them taking the time to read and comment sort of thing. It doesn't take a lot of time to send a short email.

But then I don't get a lot of comments or feedback. I generally check my Lit email address each weekday. Usually it's empty.

Until recently, I have always replied to private feedback with an e-mail included. Even when it was negative, I replied. That string came to an end last month. The private feedback started out complimenting the story, but then devolved into a series of 'suggestions" that would have made the story better. Those suggestions including introducing new characters, changing the relationships of the characters that I created, changing the central conflict, and essentially turning it into a story that would have belonged in an entirely different category.

I had nothing to say to that person.

Until recently, I have always replied to private feedback with an e-mail included. Even when it was negative, I replied. That string came to an end last month. The private feedback started out complimenting the story, but then devolved into a series of 'suggestions" that would have made the story better. Those suggestions including introducing new characters, changing the relationships of the characters that I created, changing the central conflict, and essentially turning it into a story that would have belonged in an entirely different category.

I had nothing to say to that person.

I've had that kind of thing, but not nearly so bad, and except once, always from Mr. Anon. The one that did go into detail was a request for a custom story, based on mine, but different, completely different. I thanked her, but declined.

I think you, soflabbwlvr, gave me a very instructive feedback for one of my first stories. I can't remember if it was an email or a public comment, but it was really concise, told me what worked for you and what didn't in the story, and complemented my effort. It was really heartening. More so in retrospect. Thank you.

I value feedback from authors much more than any others, whether positive or negative. So far, infrequent as it has been, feedback from authors has been more objective than the normal run-of-the-mill, "I loved it," or "I hated it," or "You sick SOB you should kill yourself," comments I usually get.

I do try to respond if I see the comment within a couple of days of its arrival.

But I don't always check my personal page for alerts, particularly if I'm away, and I can miss them. I can't see the point of responding weeks later. I did, once, and the commentor's response was "Did I say that? I can't remember commenting.".

Apologies if I haven't responded. I appreciate (most) comments.

I know what you mean, I read for years before I ever submitted a story, and it was really embarrassing to get a response to a feedback I sent and not remembering it or not recognizing who sent it or for what story.

So I try to remember, when sending a response, to include the name of the story, my Lit ID and a copy and paste of the comment they sent. And when sending a comment I also mention the story name.

I think if I ever didn't get to a comment for more than a few weeks, I would probably do much as you do. I just don't have that many stories up. Yet.

Do any other authors keep a file of all their feedbacks? I've done that since day one, but since I have never opened that folder to re-read anything, I've persuaded myself to delete it, one of these days.

Do any other authors keep a file of all their feedbacks? I've done that since day one, but since I have never opened that folder to re-read anything, I've persuaded myself to delete it, one of these days.

Not me. I'm not really all that interested in developing my writing toward what anyone else thinks it should be. So, I'm more geared to feedback on how the story made the reader feel (and not all of my stories are constructed to evoke the same feeling each time) than how I could have constructed the story to please them personally. I keep the messages in the e-mail backlog for a couple of years in case they connect with something I'm receiving now, but they rarely do.

Back