Marijuana Majority: Americans Now Back Legalization

AllardChardon

Literotica Guru
Joined
Feb 15, 2008
Posts
4,797
HAPPY 4/20 EVERYONE!!!

Marijuana Majority: Americans Now Back Legalization: Op-Ed
By Jeff Nesbit | LiveScience.com

Jeff Nesbit was the director of public affairs for two prominent federal science agencies and is a regular contributor to U.S. News & World Report, where this article first ran before appearing in LiveScience’s Expert Voices: Op-Ed & Insights.

It's 4/20 time again this week. For those who aren't part of the Millennial generation, 4/20 is unofficial "Weed Day" in America —a counterculture phenomenon that has drawn up to 10,000 marijuana legalization activists at college campuses in the U.S. in some years.

In years past, Weed Day counterculture "holiday" celebrations have taken place on 4/20 at Golden Gate Park in San Francisco, in several Canadian cities or at college campuses in Boulder, Colo., and elsewhere. Weed Day has also migrated to other parts of the world.

Where did the concept of 4/20 as a way to celebrate marijuana smoking originate? That's a bit more difficult to discern, though a reporter for The Huffington Post once tracked it down to a flyer at a Grateful Dead concert in 1990 that referred to "420ing" (smoking pot) on April 20 of that year that, in various stages, led to successive celebrations on April 20.

HuffPost also tracked it back even further, to San Rafael, Calif., high-school friends known as "the Waldos" who coined the term "4/20" in the 1970s as the designated time of the day to smoke pot after school. By fits and starts, 4/20 as either a time of day for pot smoking or a counterculture day of rebellion then traveled mostly by word of mouth.

This year, Weed Day enthusiasts hoping to see the tide turn (both politically and socially) on the legalization of marijuana front have more to celebrate than in years past.

A national survey by the Pew Research Center earlier this month found that, for the first time ever, a majority of Americans would now support regulating marijuana use the way that most states and federal authorities regulate alcohol use.

In fact, Pew found, the number of Baby Boomers who would support decriminalizing marijuana has gone up year after year during the 40 years it's been asking about the question —and is now more than double what it was in the early 1990s.

Meanwhile, recent studies have confirmed what social scientists have been saying for years about the theory that marijuana is a “gateway drug” that leads to hard drug use —namely, that the “gateway drug theory” for marijuana simply doesn't hold up scientifically.

If anything, these new studies found, other things like alcohol or cigarette use are better predictors than marijuana use of eventual prescription drug abuse or addiction to harder drugs like heroin and cocaine.

A Yale study published in the Journal of Adolescent Health late last year, for instance, found that alcohol or cigarette use was twice as likely to predict prescription opiate drug abuse as marijuana use. Prescription drug overdoses are far more prevalent now in America than either cocaine or heroin overdoses.

The Yale study pulled data from the National Survey on Drug Use and Health and found that, of the 12 percent who self-identified that they’d abused prescription drugs, 57 percent said that they’d previously used alcohol, 56 percent said they’d previously smoked cigarettes —and just 37 percent said they’d previously used marijuana.

A study published in The Journal of School Health focusing on the “gateway drug theory” for marijuana also found that alcohol, rather than marijuana, was the most commonly used substance for first-time drug users. Yet, alcohol has never been thought of as a gateway drug to cocaine, heroin or prescription opiate abuse.

In fact, social scientists and psychologists now argue rather conclusively that none of these are actually “gateway drugs” that lead someone down the path to addiction to harder or more addictive drugs.

Socio-economic considerations, environmental factors or genetics are much more likely to determine whether someone is more prone to abuse addictive substances, studies have shown repeatedly.

It’s been a long, slow decline for the “gateway drug theory” in the public’s mind, though. Congress asked the National Academy of Sciences (NAS) to look at the issues around medical marijuana use more than a decade ago. In a pivotal report in 1999, the NAS reported that “in fact, most drug users begin with alcohol and nicotine before marijuana —usually before they are of legal age.”

The NAS didn’t mince its words in that 1999 report to Congress. “In the sense that marijuana use typically precedes rather than follows initiation of other illicit drug use, it is indeed a ‘gateway’ drug,’” it said. “But because underage smoking and alcohol use typically precede marijuana use, marijuana is not the most common, and is rarely the first, ‘gateway’ to illicit drug use. There is no conclusive evidence that the drug effects of marijuana are causally linked to the subsequent abuse of other illicit drugs.”

None of these studies, however, slowed down the “gateway drug theory” in the public’s mind —until recently. Whether through a combination of “Weed Day” demonstrations on 4/20 or the success of medical marijuana initiatives in states around the U.S., most Americans are in a different place on marijuana now and would likely support it being regulated like alcohol consumption.

Yet, as longtime advocates of marijuana legalization know all too well, public and scientific support for their positions don’t necessarily translate into political action on such an issue. It may, in fact, be years before we finally see the official death of the gateway drug theory, and the rise of acceptable government action on the legalization of marijuana.

This article first appeared as Growing Numbers of Americans Support Legalizing Pot Use in the column At the Edge by Jeff Nesbit on U.S. News & World Report. The views expressed are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the views of the publisher.
 
Ah, us Boomer types have finally outlived the generation that outlawed the weed. I knew it would happen eventually.
 
Yes, Volupt, back in the 60s, we thought weed would be legalized before the 70s. But, those weird War on Druggies got control and turned good ole marijuana into a gateway drug, hahaha. I started with alcohol and cigarettes like most teenagers, but once I discovered pot, that was it, the gate closed. I have been happily toking and rarely drinking or smoking tobacco since. If the lies were true, I would be a junkie right now, instead of a home-owning tax payer, which is what I thought the government wanted more of... LOL

It is getting closer to 4:20pm on 4/20. A spectacular time of year!
 
Yes, Volupt, back in the 60s, we thought weed would be legalized before the 70s. But, those weird War on Druggies got control and turned good ole marijuana into a gateway drug, hahaha. I started with alcohol and cigarettes like most teenagers, but once I discovered pot, that was it, the gate closed. I have been happily toking and rarely drinking or smoking tobacco since. If the lies were true, I would be a junkie right now, instead of a home-owning tax payer, which is what I thought the government wanted more of... LOL

It is getting closer to 4:20pm on 4/20. A spectacular time of year!

Colorado and Washington have it right. All I know is that most companies have their "random" UAs on 4/21. If I didn't have to pee for every job I want and want to keep I'd happily toke the weekend away.
 
Epic Fails...

Colorado and Washington have it right. All I know is that most companies have their "random" UAs on 4/21. If I didn't have to pee for every job I want and want to keep I'd happily toke the weekend away.

No. Sorry. Wrong.

This is the Federal governments Responsibility:
Asin: Legislative and Executive Branches.

Both of these States are in direct violation of the in place Federal<>State Checks and Balances System.

I'm all for self-medication, but LEGALLY.

This is akin to ANARCHY on the part of these States, and our Government, both for ignoring the factual existing Constitutional System to fix it.

I Blame Congress/President More as the States are rebellion of the lack of passed "Laws of immediate importance."

Even the hippies were for Legality.
'nuff said.
 
I hate to say, only some hippies are for legalization. Plenty of them still use the federal and state forests to hide their illegal crops in fear of what would happen if they became a patient, using and growing it legally. Then, there are those that say they are for legal pot, but never go on record as such, never become a patient, and continue to use the black market. In California! Go figure.
 
I hate to say, only some hippies are for legalization. Plenty of them still use the federal and state forests to hide their illegal crops in fear of what would happen if they became a patient, using and growing it legally. Then, there are those that say they are for legal pot, but never go on record as such, never become a patient, and continue to use the black market. In California! Go figure.

I had to give up. I was looking for an article, but couldn't find it. What I can remember about it was the fact that it talked about marijuana legislation was pushed by a racist who mainly wanted to keeps minorities from enjoying themselves.
 
Saxon, was it an article about America's very first drug czar, Harry J. Anslinger, a teetotaler appointed by FDR, by chance?
 
Let us hope that the word (and the weed) spreads East to us

Right? Epic System Failure :)

Saxon, was it an article about America's very first drug czar, Harry J. Anslinger, a teetotaler appointed by FDR, by chance?

Sweet point :D

The fact why it was made illegal I don't think matters anymore.

There's all kinds if crazy factual "reasons" at this point.

Regardless, States have spoken, idividuals have spoken.

Lawmakers = fail'd = Never had a chance = Give them a break

What's a Judge supposed to do for the peoples who appointed them?
+It puts Law enforcement in a crappy position.

I liked this: Granted:
It is just one individuals 'scientific' method, and only one experiment - but well documented.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1111833/

Not a whole lot of political stuff, but it is just one side of one part.
There are alot of problems with Legalization in an illegal market.

see: White Houses Official Statement

+mo from


It a catch-22 and the USSC are probably going to have no legal recourse but to side with federal law until new federal legislation is drafted.
Asin: State law unconstitutional:

Only thing a State can do at this point is request that law enforcement relaxes enforcement.
++And repeal the laws if it is Sided as Unconstitutional.

:( shitty job(depressing) :(

"18 million" Americans are basically criminals. Like 7-8%

They can keep it if it's under medical distr. But that system .. just as bad.

Has to be an Amendment.. Everybody votes, will take a couple years. Personal responsibility issue.

Besides, regulation is a moot point because you can grow it all over the place.
--->Asin: "I can grow roses and carrots but not that plant?"

Commercial sales will have to be delayed is'll.

This is why election fraud bothers me so much.
 
Very nice reply, PayDay, and very informative as well. Here in California, the voters passed a law that says if 2/3 of the voters of the State have passed a proposition, like 215, even though it is in conflict with the Feds, it has precedence, as in "the people of California have spoken" to that issue and voted it in, regardless. The Feds have to get the local State police's approval and support before conducting their "so-called" raids on innocent patients. Fewer and fewer law enforcement agenies will stick their neck out for an issue that really does not concern the California citizens, not near as much as say, gay marriage.
 
In that last thirty years the tide has turned in the public's mind, but there is still the inertia of the bureaucracy to over come. Too many have a vested interest in keeping things the way they are, and too many Congress Critters are afraid to buck the system.

The solution is to throw all the Bastards out and start with a Fresh deck.:D
 

OMG A GOP Bull for 420!

Take, for example, Rep. Dana Rohrabacher, who last week introduced a bill designed to prevent the feds from arresting pot growers and tokers in states where the drug is legal. "This approach is consistent with responsible, constitutional, and conservative governance," the 13-term Congressman from California's ultraconservative Orange County told me.

Perhaps we ought o keep a few of the Bastards in office until they get it done?
 
c:Idea

In that last thirty years the tide has turned in the public's mind, but there is still the inertia of the bureaucracy to over come. Too many have a vested interest in keeping things the way they are, and too many Congress Critters are afraid to buck the system.
The solution is to throw all the Bastards out and start with a Fresh deck.:D

If only :)

This
+ This make sense.

Perhaps a redraft for the USA en toto...
 
teh and.

Herego: :heart:

Amendment XXVIII : Federal Statement to the Use of Cannabis Plants
Let it be known that, throughout the United States of America, all variations of the Cannabis Plant are permitted Legal for Person, Commerce, and Benevolent Science use(s); The regulation thereof shall be under to the current powers of the Constitution of the United States of America, functioning within the current Check and Balance Systems of the Executive, Legislative, and Judical Powers, with the remaining regulation falling to the States: To Be At Least Equal to that of Alcohol, and Alcoholic Beverages, including the manufacture and consumption requirements where applicable.

Let it also be know that no persons shall be Incriminated for Minor Cultivation of such plants, nor of Possession for Personal and/or Reasonable use of such plant material. There will be no amnesty for existing offenses of Cannibus Plant, or Drug, Law upon the ratifying and implementation of this Amendment - except upon Judicial Review of the Case of Conviction.

This includes that no Human being Individuals under the age of twenty-one years be permitted to purchase or sell products of this Nature, including transferrances, and it shall remain Illegal to those Human being individuals yet Equal to the Laws of Alcohol, and Alcoholic Beverages, including the manufacture and consumption requirements where applicable.

That was fun. Someone call a congressman...
 
Legalization aint never gonna happen.

1. Its a major profit center for the drug lords.
2. Its a major profit center for crooked cops.
3. Its a major profit center for rehab centers.
4. Its a serious chunk of the work government agencies do.
5. Its a nifty complaint to use against your ex to deny visitation with the kids.
6. Its a nifty tool for school guidance counselors to fuck you with when you pissoff Junior's teacher.
7. Its an ace in the hole for cops when their case against you for anything else falls apart.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
It probably will be legalized at some point, but de-criminalized, or for medicinal use, in the remaining non-compassionate states would be a huge improvement for the people there, who want to partake, but not suffer the consequences.
 
C:Anarchy

“A large portion of the planning that went into this [D.C. medical marijuana program] was with the idea that Congress or the DEA could shut this program down at any time given the fact that it is in the DEA’s backyard and Congress has budgetary oversight and could interfere with the program that way,” said Morgan Fox of the Marijuana Policy Project. “So the program was really designed to avoid drawing the ire of any of these people.”

http://freebeacon.com/legalization-without-representation/

Yeah. Who needs the law?
This cou try is going free4all, & it's not goi g to end well.
 
The Obama administration has yet to clarify its selective enforcement policies. Candidate Obama said during his 2008 campaign that he would avoid interfering with medical marijuana programs in jurisdictions protected by local law.

However, legalization advocates say his record in office has been mixed. Federal authorities have raided more than 100 dispensaries, including in states such as California and Arizona that have medical marijuana programs.

“What I specifically said was that we were not going to prioritize prosecutions of persons who are using medical marijuana,” Obama told Rolling Stone last April. “I never made a commitment that somehow we were going to give carte blanche to large-scale producers and operators of marijuana—and the reason is, because it’s against federal law.”

I just wish he'd take the same position on torture and indiscriminate state terrorisim.
 
safer than alcohol
make it legal already
everyone knows that sex is the real gateway drug
 
The first thing I tried was a cigarette and I coughed so much it was not worth the trouble. The second thing was a Colt 45 Malt Liquor and I almost threw-up. Next came pot and the first time I had no idea I was high, even though I laughed a lot and was incredibley hungry. LSD was next and this was all by the time I was 14 years of age. After all that, I tried sexual intercourse at 16, so in my case, it could not possibly be the gateway to my drug usage. LOL
 
Funny my first booze was Country Club, malt liquor, much like Colt .45 but in smaller cans. Summer of 1960, Laguna Beach. I even got kissed! By a GIRL! Good Times!

It lead me to further explorations and I had to limit my alcohol intake after a few years.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top