Seldom-Used Words

Status
Not open for further replies.
Handley, the humour section where? On Lit?

Welcome, eWoman, nice to have you join us.

Very interesting and completely unknown to me, Carlus, thanks.

overwrought - adj [pp of overwork] 1. extremely excited: AGITATED 2. elaborated to excess: OVERDONE
 
Handley, the humour section where? On Lit?

Very interesting and completely unknown to me, Carlus, thanks.
overwrought - adj [pp of overwork] 1. extremely excited: AGITATED 2. elaborated to excess: OVERDONE

Our very own Lit Humor: HERE
Entry 8981

I believe that over-wrought stems from the iron trade. Wrought iron can be a trifle tricky to get right. Over-doing it leads to a real mess.
 
Our very own Lit Humor: HERE
Entry 8981

I believe that over-wrought stems from the iron trade. Wrought iron can be a trifle tricky to get right. Over-doing it leads to a real mess.

Perhaps so for overwrought. The word wrought itself is an archaic past, as well as past participle, of the verb work. (As in the question "What hath God wrought?") Thus wrought iron is worked iron.
 
Last edited:
Owls: Women who walk the streets at night.

Included in Herbert Asbury’s “The Gangs of New York”, stating that it is taken from George W. Matsell’s “Vocabulum, or, The Rogue’s Lexicon”, first published in 1859. Tom Dalzell’s “The Slang of Sin” gives the same meaning.
 
Last edited:
Hey Ishtat! I am about as green as the green green valleys just above me. I had to miss the whole of that match and go to the staff development event, which was so dire only two of us were left at the end - except for a brief break during the best bit of the event when I had to rush out and go and gnaw my nails hoping Piglet would do OK in her violin solo at the Music College concert (thank god she did). Next week, I have to go to a conference, which being a Muslim lesbian conference is highly unlikely to be streaming the Lions match, LOL. Gah, the sacrifices I make.

Oh, and last Saturday I had to go home and be midwife to our cat. Here is the happy result.

BTW I know an Oxford don who is an expert in telecommunications. He wasn't getting any phone calls to his surprise, then a friend said they'd called on an evening he knew he had been in. About to contact BT and give them a rocket for not connecting his line properly, he looked under his phone and realised that he had not switched the ringer button to 'on' :D.

When he was a very junior don he was told off to bring another academic to some snobby college dinner and made the cardinal error of inviting me. I can still see the expression on the face of the Master of the College as I strolled in wearing a split skirted Thai silk cocktail dress! :D:D:D

attachment.php
 

Attachments

  • DSC_0022.jpg
    DSC_0022.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 46
Hey Ishtat! I am about as green as the green green valleys just above me. I had to miss the whole of that match and go to the staff development event, which was so dire only two of us were left at the end - except for a brief break during the best bit of the event when I had to rush out and go and gnaw my nails hoping Piglet would do OK in her violin solo at the Music College concert (thank god she did). Next week, I have to go to a conference, which being a Muslim lesbian conference is highly unlikely to be streaming the Lions match, LOL. Gah, the sacrifices I make.

Oh, and last Saturday I had to go home and be midwife to our cat. Here is the happy result.

BTW I know an Oxford don who is an expert in telecommunications. He wasn't getting any phone calls to his surprise, then a friend said they'd called on an evening he knew he had been in. About to contact BT and give them a rocket for not connecting his line properly, he looked under his phone and realised that he had not switched the ringer button to 'on' :D.

When he was a very junior don he was told off to bring another academic to some snobby college dinner and made the cardinal error of inviting me. I can still see the expression on the face of the Master of the College as I strolled in wearing a split skirted Thai silk cocktail dress! :D:D:D

attachment.php

Doesn't that picture belong in the Pussies thread? :D :D
 
Thank you, Handley, now I see what you meant.

ControllingKink, I adore Herbert Asbury and all his works, especially The French Quarter and The Barbary Coast books. I use both for historical data to weave into my erotic novels.

Naoko, so busy and yet you still have time to stop by and post pics of your kitties. The dress sounds very nice, my dear.

overwork - vt 1. to cause to work too hard, too long, or to exhaustion 2. to decorate all over 3.a. to work too much on: OVERDO b. to make excessive use of
 
ophelimity: the ability to please one’s sexual partner

I found this wonderful word in an equally wonderful book, Depraved and Insulting English, by Peter Novobatzky and Ammon Shea, which is great fun to leaf through and a must if one wishes to verbalize desire – or the desire to insult.

I enjoyed Asbury’s book on the New York City underworld; it was very colorful and an interesting combination of research and myth. I hope to get to his one on the big easy someday, Allard.
 
Last edited:
ControllingKink, that is a great word and the book you got it from sounds equally great. Thanks for the information.

overword - noun BURDEN, REFRAIN
 
An "O" word that prompted another "o" word in the context where I encountered it -- "Ouch" :p

orchiectomy
n 1: surgical removal of one or both testicles [syn:
{orchidectomy}, {orchiectomy}]
 
Omniscient?

Another poster recently claimed Omniscience ( All powerful, God like) in a reply to a comment by sr71plt.

I could not work out whether the poster was merely boasting or whether some sort of irony was intended.:)
 
Greetings, everyone. For the Americans reading this post, have a safe and fun 4th of July, and think of Thomas Jefferson and John Adams, who both passed away on this very day, in 1826, which was also the 50th anniversary of our Independence Day.

This next word certainly caught my eye;

overweening - adj 1. ARROGANT, PRESUMPTUOUS 2. EXAGERRATED, IMMODERATE
 
ControllingKink, now there is a word I can relate to completely. It took me a while before I understood my nose was the key to my attraction to certain men and not others. Some male scents that I cannot distinguish at all make my body alert, alive and ready for action, while others leave me flat. As I like to say, "The nose knows," (what it wants and needs).

I have heard the phrase, "over the top", but never this;

overtop - vt 1. to rise above the top of 2. to be superior to 3. SURPASS
 
Welcome, Cinner, that is a very interesting word.

oversoul - noun the absolute reality and ground of existences conceived as a spiritual being in which the ideal nature manifested in human beings is perfectly realized
 
Good evening, folks. Here are two new ones for me, how about you?

overslip - vt 1. obs: OMIT 2. obs: ESCAPE

overslaugh - vt to pass over for appointment or promotion in favor of another
 
This one can be rather gruesome;

overlie - vt 1. to lie over or upon 2. to cause the death of by lying upon
 


paraprosdokian n., figures of speech in which the latter part of a sentence or phrase is surprising or unexpected; frequently humorous.







http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paraprosdokian

Examples:
· Where there's a will, I want to be in it.

· The last thing I want to do is hurt you, but it's still on my list.

· Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

· If I agreed with you, we'd both be wrong.

· We never really grow up, we only learn how to act in public.

· War does not determine who is right - only who is left.

· Knowledge is the knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

· To steal ideas from one person is plagiarism; to steal from many is research.

· I didn't say it was your fault; I said I was blaming you.

· In filling out an application, where it says, “In case of emergency, Notify”: I always put 'DOCTOR'.

· Women will never be equal to men until they can walk down the street with a bald head and a beer gut, and still think they are sexy.

· You do not need a parachute to skydive; you only need a parachute to skydive twice.

· I used to be indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

· To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target.



 
That is an excellent word, Trysail, and the examples were even better. Thanks for posting it.

I am familiar with insert, but not;

outsert - noun a usually 4-page section so imposed and printed that it can be placed outside another signature
 
Here are two interesting words from the same French root, outrer;

outrance - noun the last extremity

outre' - adj violating convention or propriety: BIZARRE
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top