…..

Jacquéline Bissett

Jeannie%20McGinnes%20Jan%2014_2014_1002.jpg


Monday morning and Jacquéline was already on her third cup of coffee. Behind her shining metallic coffee machine steamed and rendered up it's aromatic brew: The only feature in the place that actually worked! Jacquéline reflected as she took her coffee black and strong. Before her, the counter was covered with spread sheets and lists; to the right there were several catalogues, to the left swathes of fabric.

"Merde..."

She swore under her breath. No matter how you added it up, it simply didn't add up. Jacquéline took a long sip of coffee, grimacing as it scalded it's way down her throat, the burn being replaced by the hit of caffeine. She had been here a full month now. Apparently this place had been closed up for 3 months or so before she bought it. The previous business had been no more than a sandwich shop dealing in dated, 'packed lunch' type take away accompanied by weak tea and coffee served in Styrofoam cups. She had done her homework well both in terms of local research and when looking into actually purchasing the property she now found herself in. Likewise, she had carefully engineered everything from her moving in to the work that she had managed to get done in the place and the delivery of new equipment. And she had made progress. But the delivery of the tables and chairs were well overdue and the refurbishment of the back room into a commercial kitchen had only just been completed. Whatever way she looked at it, she was losing local interest and with it potential custom every day, every week she still remained closed.

Normally she might have found the 'small town mentality' she had experienced in this place annoying, but with the locals speculating as to who had taken over what they referred to as the 'old lunch bar' and the rise in that speculation after she blacked out the windows so that no one could see what refurbishments she was making within was something she had intended to make the most of ... if she ever got the place open that was! They had of course figured out that it was she who now lived in the flat above the 'shop' and that there had been various deliveries made, though with most being brought in round the back of the property no one actually knew what was going on 'behind closed doors'.

Coffee done, Jacquéline gathered her papers together methodically and secured them in her 'business file'. She was not going to compromise on her vision. She was not going to delay for much longer. She was determined to do what was needed to tie up all the loose ends and finally get things moving. With renewed determination, Jacqueline pulled on a coat and picked up her bag before heading out via the back entrance. She could have driven, but the walk would do her good she decided, besides it was a pleasant enough walk across town and then inland where the sprawling university campus was situated. Determinedly Jacqueline headed towards the reception, reaching into her bag to take out her flier she all but bumped into a young man who was studying the noticeboard.

"Sorry, I ... "

She began an apology then hesitated as the young man seemed to scrutinise her.

" ... no damage done... "

She concluded turning towards the board with the subtle A5 notice, scanning the contents to decide just where might be the best place to display it.

CASUAL HELP NEEDED - 2 WEEKS -
HOURS TO SUIT BOTH PARTIES
Strength, willingness and discretion a must
For more information call: 09878 982750
 
Last edited:
"...yeah, no harm, no foul.."

The young man responded. Jacquéline could not help but notice that given his stature in comparison to hers that it was she rather than he who would have come out the worse after any more serious collision. She gave him a brief smile acknowledging his response and turned her attention to the secure pinning of her notice. Just what the interest might be to her slightly cryptic wording she could not guess, but she had thought that a student rather than a local may have less interest in the developments of her business and be able to assist her without compromising the secrecy under which she had been working.


"...Erm, hi, miss, excuse me, miss, hello..."

She was already heading back towards the reception when the voice caught her attention making her pause and turn.


"Hi. The job offer. I'm your man. I mean I'd like to apply for an interview please,"

It was the young man she had knocked into at the board. He must have read her advert and come straight after her judging by his slight breathlessness.

"Sorry, I could have phoned the number on the advert, but as we've already bumped into each other once I figured I might as well introduce myself. I'm Luke. Luke Green,"

She looked at him, considering. He was sassy, but not cocky and as she took in his physique she judged that he would have little trouble helping her out with some of the lifting and carrying at least.

”Mr Green,”

She put her hand in his responding formally to the introduction before she relaxed into a smile.

”Luke, “

She amended.

”I am Jacquéline, Jacquéline Bisset.”

She withdrew her hand and seemed to consider.

”You want to interview? You do not have questions first?”

She challenged.

”You see this is will be for 2 weeks? But I am looking for someone to start as soon as possible and work as many hours as they have free.”

She watched for his reaction to this clarification.

”Why is it you want to work for me, Luke?”

She asked; his response would guide her as to whether she should sit down and interview him or wait to see if she had more conventional applications.
 
She stood in the corridor, glancing as other students bustled by and then watched as he seemed to consider his answer.

"Well, honestly I need the money Jacquéline. It isn't easy for a student to find a decent part time job in the middle of a recession."

He had used her first name, not that there was anything wrong with that, but it was interesting. Moreover, despite pausing to consider, he had given her what she assumed an honest answer; he was one of many students who were in need of cash and willing to work where they could to earn it.

"I've always been a hard worker and I'm available to start straight away.”

He was keen and available … both plus points.

”Obviously I have classes and study time, but other than that I can work as many hours as required over the next couple of weeks. Days, nights, weekends, whatever you need,"

Jacquéline couldn’t help but smile. He seemed more than eager to please, but his flexibility would definitely be an asset …

"Plus you asked for strength, willingness and discretion and I have all of those in abundance,"

Again she noted that his confidence fell short of the youthful arrogance she hated.

"I do have one question, however. What exactly is it you are looking to employ someone for?
Can you give me any more information or do you have a website or something?


Good questions … all valid, if somewhat belated … and the question about the website might be an idea she should consider.

”I’m attempting to open a business in the local area,”

She began to explain.

”… and I’m running behind schedule. If I can get the right help for the next two weeks, I figure I can finally open up.”

She sighed, her mind running over the long ‘to do list’ which she would need to work through before any kind of ‘grand opening’.

”… getting the ‘right help’ is my current problem … I literally need a second pair of hands to work alongside me … and of course take on some of the heavy work … there’s so much left to do ... and I have new furniture arriving tomorrow and I’m nowhere near being able to take delivery“

Even with help, it seemed an increasingly impossible task and she was trying not to panic.

”What are you doing this afternoon?”

She asked wondering if she had found a short term solution at least.

”How about you give me 3 hours of your time sometime today? And we treat it as a trial?
I warn you though; I need boxes moving and a total clean through … It may well be you have more interesting work in mind …. “
 
She watched his reaction carefully.
There was nothing like the offer of some manual labour and cleaning to gauge if a person was serious about working or not.

".....This afternoon.......yeah, I'm available this afternoon."

To his credit he had only paused momentarily.

"A trial sounds great. I'd love to help you get your plans to open back on track. I promise I won't let you down Jacquéline."

She found herself smiling in response to his grin. He was still as enthusiastic and the fact that he seemed as eager to be helpful as to secure a job, which was after all just for two weeks was impressive. If she were employing longer term then his open charm would be an asset to the place, but at this rate she would be lucky just to open and break even. She had assets enough to tide her over in the short term, but Jacquéline was nothing if not pragmatic; she knew that she really needed to start making a profit of sorts by the end of 2 months or embark upon a plan B.

"How about I give you my mobile number and you can text me your business address? Then I can meet you there at say two o' clock this afternoon...Does that work for you Jacquéline?"

It was she this time who was pausing.

"That sounds perfect, Luke."

She told him as she took out her own phone and made ready to add him to her contact list.

"You'll really be helping me out here ... and with luck we'll find we can meet each others needs very well ... "

She halted, realising that those words had not come out quite how she'd intended. She managed to cover her confusion by focusing upon sending a text to the new number with her address on it. She smiled as it bleeped.

"Ok ... you have the information you need. If you come to the back door at 2 pm I'll show you around and put you to work ... "

She offered.

... Still not sounding any better Jacqueline...

She mentally berated herself. Despite her words, she managed to maintain a cool façade as she held her hand out to him by way of agreement.

"Deal?"

She questioned with a smile which was definitely NOT intended to be flirtatious...
 
Last edited:
Back
Top