The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 02: A Comma (is a Restful Pause)

Status
Not open for further replies.
NW, The last wildfires I remember where six or so years ago during a bad drought period. They were more in south central Texas. I can't remember a bad forest fire in East Texas. The Forestry Service does control burns of underbrush in the National Forests and helps tree farmers to do the same.

In order to have forest fires you need forests. East Texas has them. South-central Texas seems to have mostly mesquite.

A few years ago, during a terrible drought, wildfires (grass fires) burned through a lot of the northern Panhandle. You probably don't think much of that down Houston way. My client there in the Panhandle diverted almost all of their equipment and personnel to fighting the fires. The acreages covered were enormous, but the population is a bit, well... sparse.

Lovely! Thank you!

We've switched to an on demand hot water spigot for ease of use. ;)

You might have issued some kinda warning, Mags.
I mean, a chap can only manage to struggle round the kitchen for so long, after which it's a case of "stuff it; I'm off to the pub" or similar.
I see adverts for a sink tap thing which seems to do strange things with water temperature (I notice that a price is not quoted).
Now, please can you return the kettle ?

Meanwhile, - coffee.

Now, please can you return the kettle ?

Meanwhile, - coffee.

Coffee's in the pot, help yourself. Cereal's over there on the counter. Help yourself to a slice or two ofCoff fig, date & wild seed loaf and there's some homemade strawberry jam & maple butter to go with it. Eggs come scrambled, poached or fried as requested (it's a gourmet breakfast this morning before I head in for that eeeeeearly start).

vlebl2vgtno1pi8vdtk9.jpg

Happy Hump Day,

An on demand hot water spigot? When did this happen? I knew better than to take a day off. It's probably a good idea but with some of they dinosaurs we have around here... we'll keep the kettle as a backup.

Chloe, Isn't gourmet another word for healthy? Are you trying to scare all the locals away? One dose of health and they will all fall over dead, me included. Wild seeds? Isn't that bird food? I'll have to break out the powdered donuts to combat this healthy intrusion. ;)

I finished up book number seven last night and shipped it off to my editor. Seven short novels in eleven months. I gave myself five years for the ten. I seem to be slightly ahead of schedule. :eek:

Happy Hump Day,

An on demand hot water spigot? When did this happen? I knew better than to take a day off. It's probably a good idea but with some of they dinosaurs we have around here... we'll keep the kettle as a backup.

Chloe, Isn't gourmet another word for healthy? Are you trying to scare all the locals away? One dose of health and they will all fall over dead, me included. Wild seeds? Isn't that bird food? I'll have to break out the powdered donuts to combat this healthy intrusion. ;)

I finished up book number seven last night and shipped it off to my editor. Seven short novels in eleven months. I gave myself five years for the ten. I seem to be slightly ahead of schedule. :eek:

You seem to have a lot more energy lately. ;)

I won't give up the kettle for any 'hot water on demand' spigot. The water might be hot but only a full, rolling boil of fresh water makes a pot of tea that I'll drink. I'm fussy. :cattail:

Happy powdered donuts. I'll stick with my homemade pecan-cranberry scone.

I won't give up the kettle for any 'hot water on demand' spigot. The water might be hot but only a full, rolling boil of fresh water makes a pot of tea that I'll drink. I'm fussy. :cattail:

Morning Lady, :rose::kiss:

Happiness and companionship do wonders for the energy levels among other things. ;)

See, a perfect example of why we need to keep the kettle.

Pecan-cranberry scones sound great. No birdseed in sight. :D

Morning Lady, :rose::kiss:

Happiness and companionship do wonders for the energy levels among other things. ;)

See, a perfect example of why we need to keep the kettle.

Pecan-cranberry scones sound great. No birdseed in sight. :D

Birdseed is delicious when used appropriately. Like with figs and dates in bread with maple butter and homemade strawberry jam. As for scones, a big bag of homemade bacon and cheese ones in the freezer at home. Snack time this afternoon.

So I changed my mind on Halloween stories and I'm writing a second one - "Save the Last Dance for Me" - a girl, her Dad and her Chinese Catholic Church's Father Daughter Halloween Dance. A sweet Halloween romance and first time tale. Sort of. Busy making notes at work.

Coffee's in the pot, help yourself. Cereal's over there on the counter. Help yourself to a slice or two of Coff fig, date & wild seed loaf and there's some homemade strawberry jam & maple butter to go with it. Eggs come scrambled, poached or fried as requested (it's a gourmet breakfast this morning before I head in for that eeeeeearly start).

Thank you kindly, Chloe.
I'm not sure I understand Maple Butter (almost like a girl's name) and I though maples were some sort of tree. (I rest with my ignorance; and a smile). :rose:
O' course, ver's alway ze muzic: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fagH03fxY7c

Dianthus !
Tackle, hugs and 'where's my bloody camera ?' :rose:

Last edited:
We just returned from another medical jaunt down in the Central Valley. Next day referral, FTW! We needed extra coffee to make it on time. The drive was... scary? Nauseating? Smoke from fires 100+ miles away filling the valley and beyond -- air is absolutely fucking terrible. Visibility a mile or so. Even home at our elevation, smoke curdles in canyons, caught in the forests.

Otherwise, all is okay, as long as we don't inhale. But drastic measures are called for. Time for decaf with Black Velvet.

We just returned from another medical jaunt down in the Central Valley. Next day referral, FTW! We needed extra coffee to make it on time. The drive was... scary? Nauseating? Smoke from fires 100+ miles away filling the valley and beyond -- air is absolutely fucking terrible. Visibility a mile or so. Even home at our elevation, smoke curdles in canyons, caught in the forests.

Otherwise, all is okay, as long as we don't inhale. But drastic measures are called for. Time for decaf with Black Velvet.

Shouldn't that be Black Velvety with some coffee ?

I'm not sure I understand Maple Butter (almost like a girl's name)
Pr0n star. Or is she Nipple Butter?

and I though maples were some sort of tree. (I rest with my ignorance; and a smile). :rose:
The sap of some maple trees is very sugar-laden; the trees are tapped for their flavorful syrup. Mix maple syrup in with butter and Voila! (I'm sure more elaborate recipes can be found.)

The Canadian economy, or at least that of Quebec, is based on maple syrup. Export prices are phenomenal. Today at a discounter we bought a 12oz /375ml bottle for US$8. Some years ago we drove from Arizona to Alaska and back (after a jaunt to Honduras) through northern British Columbia. At a store on a First Nations reserve, a gallon (128oz / 3800ml) of maple syrup was CN$15 while a half-gallon of whole milk was CN$10. Syrup domestically was cheaper than milk FTW!

Some cigarmakers soak their tobacco leaves in maple syrup. Hmmm...

Shouldn't that be Black Velvety with some coffee ?
I cheated. White tequila in decaf and cocoa, whipped cream on top, a long slow sip, ahhh...

Dollie

I just read this to slave_. Her response: "Tell him that's fine with me!" See - there's a reason I keep her locked up in the house - she's a keeper! :D :rolleyes:
My husband keeps me locked up too. But I found the spare key> I may be a keeper but I like fresh air.
From the comments California needs some fresh air! I believe a hurricane would be better. At least a few things can be saved.

I think "beer" and "sex" should be in the name somewhere! :D
If we drink we only drink beer and it usually involves some sort of sex after a few.

The AH Coffee Shop and Reading Room 2

Come on in. Take a seat up here at the counter or at a table out in the middle of the room or back in the corner, whichever suits you best. Hubby likes to sit in a corner with his back to the wall. He's seen too many old westerns.

We serve coffee but remember this ain't Starbucks. It only comes in black. What you do with it after that is you're own problem. Cheap and black. Even our Kuerig gets cheap Folgers in the holder.

If you play nice the waitresses (If I ever get any) might spice it for you. Just black thank you

If you have a new story you're proud of post a link. Post a link even if you're not proud of it. It'll give everyone something to talk about. We're old and lazy. Our story links are in the signature down there below

No fighting and no trolling. I'd hate to have the AH Mod toss your ass out of here. Flirting will be tolerated to a point and then you can rent a room out back if you need to carry thing farther. I flirt often. But I'm harmless.

Thank you and welcome aboard.
I just stopped to pause after reading the gripe threads. Thanks for letting us take up space here.

The sap of some maple trees is very sugar-laden; the trees are tapped for their flavorful syrup. Mix maple syrup in with butter and Voila! (I'm sure more elaborate recipes can be found.)

The Canadian economy, or at least that of Quebec, is based on maple syrup. Export prices are phenomenal. Today at a discounter we bought a 12oz /375ml bottle for US$8. Some years ago we drove from Arizona to Alaska and back (after a jaunt to Honduras) through northern British Columbia. At a store on a First Nations reserve, a gallon (128oz / 3800ml) of maple syrup was CN$15 while a half-gallon of whole milk was CN$10. Syrup domestically was cheaper than milk FTW!

220px-Maple_syrup.jpg
Maple syrup is a syrup usually made from the xylem sap of sugar maple, red maple, or black maple trees, although it can also be made from other maple species. In cold climates, these trees store starch in their trunks and roots before the winter; the starch is then converted to sugar that rises in the sap in late winter and early spring. Maple trees are tapped by drilling holes into their trunks and collecting the exuded sap, which is processed by heating to evaporate much of the water, leaving the concentrated syrup.

The Canadian province of Quebec is by far the largest producer, responsible for 70% of the world's output; Canadian exports of maple syrup in 2016 were C$ 487 million (about US$ 360 million), with Quebec accounting for some 90% of this total. Vermont is the largest producer in the United States, generating about 6% of the global supply.

It's controlled in Quebec but there's a black market in it - and Quebec holds the worlds Global Strategic Maple Syrup Reserve, (yes, they do). It's important enough to Canada that the canadian flag is a sugar maple leaf (useless facts 101).

And here you are, if you have never tried Maple Syrup and you're in the UK, you're in luck. Honestly, get some and try it. It's the nectar of the gods. On pancakes, icecream, mixed with cream, in custard, maple sugar pie, over bacon and eggs (perfection!!!!), poured onto your partner and licked off (okay, I surprised him but after he tried it .... :D )... what can I say. It's worth the effort. We have our own strategic reserve in the pantry.

Happy Hump Day,

:

Relax, it's just a water cooler / heater. If you don't like it, I'll take it back.

*grumblegrumble* Trying to drag people into the current century. *grumblegrumble*

Relax, it's just a water cooler / heater. If you don't like it, I'll take it back.

*grumblegrumble* Trying to drag people into the current century. *grumblegrumble*

Oh, please leave it, MP. You like it and it's great for tisanes and hot chocolate. :)

We'll just keep the kettle too.

:rose:

I've known where I want to go with my next story and with the event that would end it. I've struggled with how that event comes to pass. It's haunted me for a couple weeks now, but I had an idea that made me weep. Some version of that will do it.

Now for the in-between parts.

Can we talk about 'ukuleles? I own a few (too many?) 'uke-like objects -- or they own me. No, I haven't a complete set. Those here are mostly in different tunings. That's the fun, and challenge.

Most stringed instruments are tuned 'straight' -- each successive string is higher-pitched than the previous. Standard 'ukes, like 5-string banjos, Andean charangos, and some lute and guitar stringings, change that pattern, with a high-tuned string on the bottom or middle -- it's called re-entrant tuning. That can be played with for distinct effects.

'Ukes range in size from tiny pocket-size soparinos, to common small sopranos, to the uncommon concert (about violin size), to the very popular tenor, and the larger baritone. They may have 3, 4, 5, 6, 8, 10, or 12 strings, usually in 3 or 4 courses. They may be hollow or solid, acoustic or electric, almost any material. Tahitian 'ukes are weird solid carved bugger -- I haven't one yet. Yeah, there's always another 'uke out there.

Some songs only sound right on certain instruments and tunings. Guitarists playing open tunings have figured this out. Much performance prep is deciding on which tuned axe.

Your turn. Pour some coffee and tell your tales. Mention your waterproof tenor 'uke that doubles as a canoe paddle.

Ukes are a bit of a mystery to me.
Ham Radio - not so much (camera ditto).

But the sun's out and there are flowers to be seen & photographed.
Meanwhile, I'll join you for a coffee with thanks.

Morning all,

Last night I came in to check the threads, found some interesting stuff in the cafe and stopped to think. Not a good idea. The housemate woke me up an hour later. :eek:

A little while ago, I came in to check the threads, replied to one and came here. Lit was down for a while. So now I'm back!

Welcome back Lynn, I was starting to worry about you. Sorry about the sick part. Take care of yourself, you're one of the good ones. :rose::kiss:

Ukes are strange as are uke players. At least all the ones I've known. Almost as strange as banjo players.

I was going to cut the grass but the housemate isn't feeling well and decided on a nap. So I'll need to find something else useful to do that is quieter.

Writing it is. :)

"
Welcome back Lynn, I was starting to worry about you. Sorry about the sick part. Take care of yourself, you're one of the good ones. "

HOW VERY TRUE.
[I think I need a new keyboard].

Meanwhile, coffee.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back