Is there a sweep in progress?

TarnishedPenny

Literotica Guru
Not that I'm objecting, but it's odd. My latest story has both score and vote count independently whipping up and down like a hooker's knickers. Never seen anything like it and it's been going on almost steadily for the past 24 hours or so.

Not that I'm objecting, but it's odd. My latest story has both score and vote count independently whipping up and down like a hooker's knickers. Never seen anything like it and it's been going on almost steadily for the past 24 hours or so.

I had one vote removed from one story this morning. Nada otherwise.

Haven't the foggiest. I haven't looked at any of my scores in long enough that I wouldn't notice anything other than huge swings. A peek at the ones I most recently checked doesn't look as if any significant number of votes have been swept, and the scores are where I remember them.

Could be a toplist sweep. I've never looked at Non-con's hall of fame, so I don't know if it's shuffled at all. Could be someone reported troll activity, and said trolls had set up camp on your story.

Well, the story was massively one-bombed and I reported that, so some activity was expected. The pattern however is unusual. Scores are changing without the vote count changing and vice versa - many times. I just wondered if anybody else was seeing that.

While new, incoming votes seem to be more or less real time in the control panel, things don't seem to update so cleanly with the sweeps.

It's probably wiping things out in chunks ( vote loss ) then recalculating after the pass completes ( scores ) At least, that's how it's looked to me when I've seen it in progress.

Well, the story was massively one-bombed and I reported that, so some activity was expected. The pattern however is unusual. Scores are changing without the vote count changing and vice versa - many times. I just wondered if anybody else was seeing that.

my latest story is the only one i've looked at but it also has been bouncing around. i thought it was just hyperactive trolls.

There are some strange things going on with the user cp. A weird loading screen, missing pages from the favorites list, and some other things Manu said he was checking on. I've also noticed the author's activity page is looking weird. Maybe this sweep thing is related to that.

Since i haven't posted a story in a while i haven't checked any scores but... Normally as of late, I get most of my favorites and favorites on stories right after the monthly sweeps. Today all of a sudden, I'm getting favorites on stories that don't normally get them.

There are some strange things going on with the user cp.

There are also differences between the activity shown in the "All Activities" page and the "Works Activity" page, and a few other glitchy items. Work is in progress.

I've had two stories (these stories are following the exact same pattern) getting hit every time they reach a certain score and today they climbed to a peak only to be knocked down by .02 points and .03 points (not the .01 that knocked them off the front page) ... last time I made this complaint in a thread, people were iffy, which is cool, but a sweep AFTER I reached 1,000 votes raised my story .04 points and to the top of the top list. Which after 100+ more votes fell to .01 (natural, hard to maintain that rating) but after climbing that .01 after 100+ more votes, quickly fell .01. Now that's just spite.
What you don't say is what this .01 movement is against, after 1000 votes. And to be honest, I'm sitting here thinking, this guy's got a 1000 votes on a story, and he's fussing about 0.2% or 0.3% of his score moving around. Seriously? Mate, take a walk outside, look up at the sky, hear the birdies sing, coz you really are focussing on the wrong thing, I'd have thought.

You're obsessed with rating. I'm obsessed with the intent. There's a big difference in what you think I'm talking about and what I am talking about.
I'm not obsessed about scores, I'm just incredulous that you have a 1000 votes and you obsess about a 0.2% shift in scores. How do you KNOW that you're being gamed at this point? Couldn't it just be 100 folk giving you a mix of scores around a given point, because that's what they think the story is actually worth? I get that gaming scores is shitty when you have 30, 40, 50 votes, because that's when you want the story to grab reads, and I know dedicated trolls will bounce you down. But after a thousand folk give you a number you still worry? That's the bit I don't get - seems a bit obsessive to me.

You're just painting a target on your back. By demonstrating that the trolls get to you, they'll keep coming for you.

The part you don't get? I like to take action, but you can't really take action on this site, except write more stories, which I do.
I've learned over the years to worry about the things I can control or influence, and troll control isn't something that hugely affects me, so it's low on my threshold of worries. But yes, an attack every hundred is deliberate, I accept that.

Writing more stories - agree with you there.

The routine isn't one every hundred, the routine is attacking the story once it becomes noticeable again on the front page. After 330 votes, did I suddenly run into 1/2 voters ever 3 votes? No, no I didn't.

Anyway, it feels like you're deliberately ignoring what I'm on saying on certain points. So, talking to you about patterns isn't going to change what you want to address vs what I'm saying.

Oh yes I see it on my stories too and outside the contests and Loving Wives, which don't worry me now that I'm older, matured and experienced after three whole years writing here, it's more Top List related. I have a couple of stories that are borderline in Top Lists and they'll pop up into those Top 20 and then whammy, enough votes come thru to whack a mole back down. It really annoyed me when I was younger and more excitable but now, with added age and experience, I just smile. It's not a big deal.

The routine isn't one every hundred, the routine is attacking the story once it becomes noticeable again on the front page. After 330 votes, did I suddenly run into 1/2 voters ever 3 votes? No, no I didn't.

Anyway, it feels like you're deliberately ignoring what I'm on saying on certain points. So, talking to you about patterns isn't going to change what you want to address vs what I'm saying.
No, I get it - the malice directed at your story's position in the rankings, you're not the first and you won't be the last. In four years I've only had one targeted troll attack (which had nothing to do with author rankings and score gaming, but was just a racist piece of bullshit) - my radar's obviously calibrated differently to yours - and over the years I've learned to accept systems are what they are. If I can't influence them (and in this matter, I can't), I just take on board the noise. But I do stay away from contests, for exactly these reasons.

Peace, brother :). It's the words that matter, not the numbers.

But I do stay away from contests, for exactly these reasons.

Peace, brother :). It's the words that matter, not the numbers.

All part of the fun of the contests. I know exactly where your both coming from coz we've had these chats over contest voting. I guess with any voting system online with something like this that's one of the pitfalls and it's not going to change. Trolls are trolls and some people just enjoy being negative and dumping on others. And some people are just obsessively competitive and cheat. Nothing you can do about it. I just see them as Energy Vampires. Worrying or getting upset about them just sucks away at your energy and distracts you from what you'd be better doing. And the only silver cross that'll ward that off is your own focus.

Well, as a for-instance, yesterday my latest story was rated at 4.60 with 60 votes. This morning, it's rated 4.57 and 61 votes. The scores and such aren't that worrisome, but I'm trying to wrap my head around how that can happen mathematically. I suppose a sweep could've taken away n high votes and then n+1 lukewarm votes got added - all overnight - but that seems unlikely. It just seems screwy.

Well, as a for-instance, yesterday my latest story was rated at 4.60 with 60 votes. This morning, it's rated 4.57 and 61 votes. The scores and such aren't that worrisome, but I'm trying to wrap my head around how that can happen mathematically. I suppose a sweep could've taken away n high votes and then n+1 lukewarm votes got added - all overnight - but that seems unlikely. It just seems screwy.
I'd say quite likely. You've probably had votes stripped out, and then some new votes in the meantime with a different set of scores. But you don't know how many disappeared and how many are new overnight, so you can't follow the maths. This is why it's pointless to fret about it, and also why I don't bother with scores for the first month (especially if there's a contest running).

That's just a single 3* vote.

Back