Myneed wrote "You're Like a Little Boy at Times"

donaldelliott11

Literotica Guru
I'm enjoying this story, in the Fetish category. But the author has switched off both reader comments and profile contacts.
As an author myself, I find this incomprehensible. What my readers think is important to me. Even the negative feedback has sometimes been constructive.
Finally, whatever else Myneed needs, he or she needs a proofreader. I'd have offered to help, but have no way to make contact.

Maybe Myneed writes for the sheer enjoyment of sharing stories and arousals and is more interested in readers focusing on the story content than the technical elements--and has been irritated enough by readers assuming the author is posting here for their reasons rather than the author's reasons that the comments/ratings have been turned off. Do you have some compelling need to impose yourself on the author despite being given this hint what is important to the author in posting to Literotica?

I've always assumed that the name "Literotica" was a portmanteau, and that the goal was to be literate and erotic. I can't imagine an author who derives pleasure from his or her inability to spell, or to read what he or she has written to correct gross errors.
Anyway, the purpose of my posting wasn't to psychoanalyze Myneed, or you. I hoped he or she would find it and respond, either publicly or, more likely, privately.

I don't even remotely agree that you can rightfully assume that everyone agrees with your assumption. I don't. I don't think you even have the justification to act on that assumption here without establishing that the author you are "educating" wants your tutorial. I wouldn't.

One way of signaling that they don't would be if they turned comments and ratings off. Seems a pretty direct message to your assumption.

I don't even remotely agree that you can rightfully assume that everyone agrees with your assumption. I don't. I don't think you even have the justification to act on that assumption here without establishing that the author you are "educating" wants your tutorial. I wouldn't.

One way of signaling that they don't would be if they turned comments and ratings off. Seems a pretty direct message to your assumption.

Jesus, what a horrible thing to say to someone holding out an offering hand.

Jesus, what a horrible thing to say to someone holding out an offering hand.

What is horrible is the assumption that someone wants you to tell them how/what they should write and post to Literotica on the basis of no demonstrated expertise at all or a request to do so. I cannot fathom this assumption that someone is only posting stories here to have some other unvetted and unasked poster to "teach" them.

The selection editor here is Laurel; it isn't a vigilante poster like you or donaldelliott11.

The "teacher" here has posted four stories in the last eleven years, and they rate pretty low. I haven't read them. But how would that poster like me to vigilante post an edit of one of their stories here? I'm a degreed editor with experience of nearly 1,000 stories posted here across most of the categories here and I'm willing to bet that I could demonstrate that that "teacher" doesn't have the qualifications to tell someone else who hasn't asked for the help how and what they should write. I bet I could do that to you too, Arpy. You, for instance, just managed posting your first story here two days ago and yet you've already been posting critiques of the erotica writing of others here (who at least asked--for all I know you've been imposing your views on writers here who didn't ask for it as well).

But I don't, because I'm not making assumptions why anyone is posting stories here and I'm certainly not boorish and arrogant enough to impose my assumptions on others.

Last edited:
I'm enjoying this story, in the Fetish category. But the author has switched off both reader comments and profile contacts.
As an author myself, I find this incomprehensible. What my readers think is important to me. Even the negative feedback has sometimes been constructive.
Finally, whatever else Myneed needs, he or she needs a proofreader. I'd have offered to help, but have no way to make contact.

Bad news: Myneed clearly doesn't want reader comment. It doesn't matter whether you or I understand the reasons for that choice, it's a choice Myneed gets to make without owing us an explanation.

Good news: there are plenty of authors who DO want a proofreader and/or feedback. Rather than worrying about one who doesn't, can I suggest posting on the Editor's Forum offering your services?

Mayday

Pilot, why are you so angry? You wrote: "What is horrible is the assumption that someone wants you to tell them how/what they should write and post to Literotica on the basis of no demonstrated expertise at all or a request to do so. I cannot fathom this assumption that someone is only posting stories here to have some other unvetted and unasked poster to "teach" them. The selection editor here is Laurel; it isn't a vigilante poster like you or donaldelliott11."

My use of the word "assume" was in a different context, but that assumption, and the imprecise one that a writer might value a proofreader, was at worst, incorrect. "Horrible"?
Neither did I use the word "teach".
Nor did I express any concerns about what writers choose to write about. How am I a "vigilante"?

I'm sure you'll find misspellings and grammatical stumbles in my few stories. Too late now, which just proves my point; I myself should have enlisted a proofreader, and maybe an editor, which is not the same thing.

Over and out.

Pilot, why are you so angry?

Most of my anger was to the post this was directly in response to. Beyond that, I simply cannot fathom the arrogance and self-importance of vigilante "teachers" here--most of whom are nearly clueless themselves about what they are "force teaching"--who assume that everyone is posting stories to Literotica to develop their writing and, unstated, must only be here to receive writing help from others--most often from those who have no more expertise than they do.

Take a look across the file. Most writers are actually here, it seems quite obvious, to share dirty stories. Most do not have high literacy and most don't seem to give a shit they don't--they just want to share dirty stories. Literotica is open to those writers with only very minimal posting requirements. If Literotica posts the story, they've accepted it as it is.

Those who are open to receive writing guidance willy-nilly from any stranger have several ways to signal that here. If they don't signal it, I think you and anyone else are absolutely off base to assume that they want it.

In the case of this thread, the author you wrote about has comments and ratings turned off. There couldn't be a clearer signal than that that they don't want to be told what and how to write. If they just want to share their arousal with others, they are welcome to do that on Literotica without being subjected to smug writing advice from others.

You have chosen just about the clearest case against unrequested vigilante critique to assert your privilege to be an uninvited vigilante "teacher." You might give a thought to why you feel the compulsion to do that. Does it have more to do with your need to be superior than the writer's need to be subjected to what they haven't asked for and that the Web site not only doesn't require that they accept but also gives them tools to avoid?

Also at the base of my "anger," such as it is, is that I'm a trained, professional editor and much of the advice I see given here (even worse when it's given unbidden than when, on this forum, it has been requested) is destructive to writing, not constructive to it, and is just the blind leading the blind. Thus, I particularly don't like the assumption being made that anyone posting a story here is doing so to get help in writing from some stranger--particularly one who hasn't demonstrated that they can take care of their own writing let alone anyone else's. Both you and HisArpy did that on this thread--and neither with evidence on this Web site of much of any writing skill of your own.

Last edited:
After this "publicity" I was curious and checked to see if Myneed had ever posted to Lit. No.

Posted. As in, wrote a post in the bulletin board. The answer is still "no".

Having stories posted is being posted to Lit. I don't see where Myneed posting to the forum has much of any relevance to this thread, though. Not posting isn't the same thing as not reading. To assume it is would just be another one of those false assumptions to be made.

This thread is a good example of assumptions sometimes being off kilter.

JulieWife- author missing/ story comments

I too have wanted to contact authors of certain stories, but they have disabled comments.

Like this one from JulieWife:
https://www.literotica.com/s/summer-of-regrets
I like the story (of an innocent Christian girl who gives her virginity to this player while she's engaged to another) & like the author.

Interesting, the end of the story shows "31 comments..."
However, there's no way to view the comments.

Not sure why one can't view the comments. There were 31 of them, so must've been interesting.

Interesting, the end of the story shows "31 comments..."
However, there's no way to view the comments.

Not sure why one can't view the comments. There were 31 of them, so must've been interesting.

I've noticed that with a several writers. I can only assume the writer has turned off all feedback on their control panel some time after receiving the comments, and that renders the comments invisible, but the system keeps the count.

Thank you to Anonymous Thread-Follower

who sent me a private comment through my member page. I regret not using an editor before posting my four stories. Your glass houses comment is to the point.

Comments...

Donaldelloitt11 said: "I'm enjoying this story, in the Fetish category. But .. "

In that case Sir, I hope you continue to enjoy that author's writings.

In regard to comments, an author has several choices including:

1. Read and respond.
2. Read and ignore.
3. Don't read. (i.e. turn them off)

Why one makes the choice they do is often unclear, but their reasons are not for us to question.

Incidentally, I have noticed something. It seems to me as though the word "but" in a sentence tends to cancel out everything that came before it it in that sentence. For example: "I'd love to give you a raise, but.." or I'd be happy to give you the day off, but..." or even "I enjoyed reading your story, but..."

Last edited:
If I may chime in. Art and writing is often the expression of ideas, sometimes art or writing shouldn't be questioned, just embraced the way it was presented. I'm sure some enjoy being able to publish a piece then move forward to the next, allowing the piece to speak for itself/the creator.

I can understand how you feel, having many helpful ideas to contribute, however, not everyone is receptive to advice, no matter how good the intention is, some prefer to do things on their own. Many great poets and artists created pieces on their own, just the same as some have created pieces from the inspiration of others (ex: muses).

I haven't posted any pieces, so I obviously dont speak for the writers. I just speak from an observers point of view.

This is not advertised as a critique site; it's a sharing/entertainment site. It all goes back to making an assumption. If you assume that a writer has posted a story here to have it critiqued, you have started off presuming more than you should. If they've asked for it in a story note or come here to ask for it, you can assume they are receptive. If not, you are presuming too much--and more than the author has any responsibility to kiss your hand for.

For one thing, most of you offering critique--even the ones who wait for their critique to be solicited (like on this forum)--have absolutely no training in leading anyone else to better writing in anything but the more basic issues. And when you still impose yourself that is arrogant presumption, not just assumption.

If I may chime in. Art and writing is often the expression of ideas, sometimes art or writing shouldn't be questioned, just embraced the way it was presented. I'm sure some enjoy being able to publish a piece then move forward to the next, allowing the piece to speak for itself/the creator.

I can understand how you feel, having many helpful ideas to contribute, however, not everyone is receptive to advice, no matter how good the intention is, some prefer to do things on their own. Many great poets and artists created pieces on their own, just the same as some have created pieces from the inspiration of others (ex: muses).

I haven't posted any pieces, so I obviously dont speak for the writers. I just speak from an observers point of view.

This is the right attitude, understanding that many writers just don't 'want' help. Some might indeed 'need' help, but then Pilot's point kicks in - how many of us are qualified to truly 'help'. Not many.

But then, many writers do find another's comments or opinions useful, however 'unqualified' they might be. You don't need to be a professional to have an opinion, and that's still a legit form of feedback (but only when writers ask for it, obviously).

Back