The Crap We Watch

But it is still being glorified. The effects further the plot, but I'm talking about audience reaction and there are people watching it thinking, ohh that's kinky!

That's my point read it here, its sick, get it on the main screen and ohh, that's kinky!

I don't know anyone who has had that reaction. Nobody. I think you're projecting again.

While getting sick of the drivel that's here in America, I've come to appreciate a couple of shows on BBC America... Dr. Who, and Top Gear. Very good stuff. Each is Hilarious in their own way.

I also watch NCIS- it's been on a long time. The camraderie of the cast is what makes me watch it, knowing they love who they play... but the actual show's formula is...getting old, I'm looking for the word and I can't find it. Cliche. Yes, that's it. Cliche with the little accent thingee on the E.

The Big Bang Theory is pretty funny too.

While getting sick of the drivel that's here in America, I've come to appreciate a couple of shows on BBC America... Dr. Who, and Top Gear. Very good stuff. Each is Hilarious in their own way.

I also watch NCIS- it's been on a long time. The camraderie of the cast is what makes me watch it, knowing they love who they play... but the actual show's formula is...getting old, I'm looking for the word and I can't find it. Cliche. Yes, that's it. Cliche with the little accent thingee on the E.

The Big Bang Theory is pretty funny too.

I love Top Gear. The American version is OK but Jeremy Clarkson is a fucking riot. He, Hammond and May put the BBC show over the top. I do miss Mystery Science Theater 3000. Loved that show.

I love Top Gear. The American version is OK but Jeremy Clarkson is a fucking riot. He, Hammond and May put the BBC show over the top. I do miss Mystery Science Theater 3000. Loved that show.

I quite agree with you. Top Gear with the three guys, they're very funny, and I've learned a thing or two about cars... something I wouldn't take a second glance at. I love to see men fawning over objects of desire. :p

I absolutely loved Deadwood. The things that show got away with in terms of plot and characterization...often I would sit there marveling at what I had just heard... Deadwood's use of the English language... most profound use of profanity and poetry all rolled up into one phrase... I just loved viewing a show that continually surprised me.

Also, I love The Wire and Treme on HBO. I confess that I just don't watch network TV any longer. My real guilty pleasures are True Blood, Boardwalk Empire and Game of Thrones.

Also, I've been enjoying Vikings on the History Channel. :devil:

I don't get to watch much but toddler shows nowadays, but hubby and I were hooked on the shows Criminal Minds, the Mentalist, and Bones. I was watching them so much I recognized guest actors across the shows!

If you want trashy TV, the gypsy wedding shows are terrible. And I came across another gem the other day: Myrtle Manor. It's about a trailer park in SC. Can't get much closer to home for me!

I quite agree with you. Top Gear with the three guys, they're very funny, and I've learned a thing or two about cars... something I wouldn't take a second glance at. I love to see men fawning over objects of desire. :p

See my opening post. ;)

I don't get to watch much but toddler shows nowadays, but hubby and I were hooked on the shows Criminal Minds, the Mentalist, and Bones. I was watching them so much I recognized guest actors across the shows!

If you want trashy TV, the gypsy wedding shows are terrible. And I came across another gem the other day: Myrtle Manor. It's about a trailer park in SC. Can't get much closer to home for me!

My wife had gotten into those Romany gypsy shows for a while. I actually found it a bit interesting, but then, I am something of an amateur anthropologist. Foreign cultures are always fascinating for me, even if they exist here in the States.

Defiance Beginning April 15

There's been a lot of hype about this one, so much so that the show, I understand, was originally going to air on NBC. Producers, however, felt the average NBC viewer would not appreciate it as much as SyFy's regulars. Debatable.

Anyway, I plan on checking it out. I only hope it doesn't turn out to be another Terra Nova.

Defiance Trailer

I don't watch TV.

I just keep up on the few dramas that I've been introduced to. I stream them online.

Breaking Bad
Game of thrones
Mad Men
Walking Dead

On my list of shows people say I would like, but I haven't started yet.

Doctor Who
Sherlock
Supernatural (very suspect of this one, the pilot sucked)

Shows I love that are done
Jericho
Firefly
Firefly
Firefly
Fuck Jericho
Firefly!

Firefly was one of my favorite shows, although, as much as I love Joss Whedon's talents, and I thought the entire cast was perfect, I don't agree that it was "the best sci-fi series ever." Had Fox let the show stay on the air for a few seasons, I'm sure we would have seen some pretty spectacular stories.

Firefly was one of my favorite shows, although, as much as I love Joss Whedon's talents, and I thought the entire cast was perfect, I don't agree that it was "the best sci-fi series ever." Had Fox let the show stay on the air for a few seasons, I'm sure we would have seen some pretty spectacular stories.

Best Sci-fi that I have seen so far. I don't watch star trek, dr. who, or the dozens and dozens of paranormal shows on netflix right now, so Firefly is pretty much my only scifi show.

Best Sci-fi that I have seen so far. I don't watch star trek, dr. who, or the dozens and dozens of paranormal shows on netflix right now, so Firefly is pretty much my only scifi show.

Firefly definitely had an original twist on conventional, planet-hopping science fiction. It was grittier than most popular fare such as Star Trek, Stargate, Dr. Who and so on. It really should have stayed on for at least a few more seasons.

I posted above that I'm interested in the upcoming show Defiance. But I have a strange feeling that, like with Sanctuary, it won't live up to the hype. Here's hoping I'm wrong.

I have to agree with everything you just said. Thirteen episodes isn't enough to make it the best ever. I'd take Farscape and Battlestar Galactica for their entire runs.

I have to agree with everything you just said. Thirteen episodes isn't enough to make it the best ever. I'd take Farscape and Battlestar Galactica for their entire runs.

Farscape I liked for the quirkiness. Battlestar Galactica . . . I was back and forth between like and dislike on some of the elements. I liked the way the cylons were reinvented, and the sense of paranoia when the the sleepers on Galactica realized they were all cylons. But it got a little too drawn out in some places, I think.

Watched an episode of Unearthing Ancient Secrets tonight, one I hadn't seen before. This one was about Columbus and his origins. I had heard the theory that he was Spanish, and not Italian, as has been long presumed. The evidence presented, though ultimately inconclusive, went quite a ways in casting a lot of light on that theory.

Basically, it goes that Cristobal Colom had been a privateer at one point, attacking merchant vessels under the protection of Ferdinand and Isabella, who would later sponsor his voyage to the "New World." He hides this facet of his history, poses as an Italian, and goes on to amass a considerable fortune when he reaches Hispaniola (the Dominican Republic). Interesting. If his benefactors had ever learned that he had once hunted their merchant ships, they probably would have had him executed.

The idea that Columbus may have been a Jew was a new theory to me. It was shown on the program that this most likely was not the case, thus dispelling the idea that his voyage west was motivated by a desire to escape the Spanish Inquisition.

I'm gonna have to do some more research on Senor Colom, I think. This was pretty interesting.

But it is still being glorified. The effects further the plot, but I'm talking about audience reaction and there are people watching it thinking, ohh that's kinky!

That's my point read it here, its sick, get it on the main screen and ohh, that's kinky!

If you think just mentioning it, or having it as a plot point is glorifying it, then well, I guess we'd better cut a lot of stuff out of all of our stories and TV shows. I've read all the books and watched the show from the start and I'd hardly say the incest is glorified. As others have said, it's resulted in the near-death of a young boy, and is one of the root causes of the rebellion.

Also, the two players in that main incest story have been separated for quite some time, so it's not like it's been played up a lot lately.

And... I have to say, for a guy who writes incest like you do, this complaint seems pretty hypocritical. The incest is between adults and consensual, which is what you write, right? So why is it okay in your stuff but not GoT?

I don't know anyone who has had that reaction. Nobody. I think you're projecting again.

Right. When I talk about the show, the incest rarely comes up and when it does, the more common reaction is "ewwww."

Last post probably should have been in the GoT thread. :)

My favorite shows, in no particular order:

GoT
Boardwalk Empire
Dr Who
Battlestar Galactica
Walking Dead
Firefly
Leverage
Torchwood
Buffy

If you think just mentioning it, or having it as a plot point is glorifying it, then well, I guess we'd better cut a lot of stuff out of all of our stories and TV shows. I've read all the books and watched the show from the start and I'd hardly say the incest is glorified. As others have said, it's resulted in the near-death of a young boy, and is one of the root causes of the rebellion.

Also, the two players in that main incest story have been separated for quite some time, so it's not like it's been played up a lot lately.

And... I have to say, for a guy who writes incest like you do, this complaint seems pretty hypocritical. The incest is between adults and consensual, which is what you write, right? So why is it okay in your stuff but not GoT?

Right. When I talk about the show, the incest rarely comes up and when it does, the more common reaction is "ewwww."

I hate it when people get all squicky about Game of Thrones. (or other shows, for that matter) I've heard feminists trying to bash it down because of all of the rape culture, and then people getting grossed out by the incest, and even people getting turned off by all of the nudity.

This stuff happens in the world that GRRM built. You can't censor it. I'm SUPER glad that HBO got a hold of it, because GoT without tits, rape, incest, excessive violence, and fucking is barely following the books at all. It's relevant to the plot. In a very big way.

I guess I'm the only unabashed television viewer. The shows I watch religiously include:

GoT
Mad Men
Breaking Bad
Dr. Who
The Americans
Boardwalk Empire
True Blood
The Newsroom
The Walking Dead
Falling Skies
Warehouse 13
Dexter
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Archer
American Dad
South Park
Modern Family
The Big Bang Theory
The New Girl
Raising Hope
Parks and Recreation
Being Human
Lost Girl
Continuum
Hell on Wheels
Homeland
American Horror Story

The dearly departed:
Fringe
Battlestar Galactica
Torchwood
Farscape
Firefly
X-Files
Lost
Eureka
Sanctuary

Resurrected:
Arrested Development

I won't even go into the crap on my guilty pleasures list.

Last edited:
For me, Lost was one of those "good ideas" that kind of went off the rails. I would have liked it as the premise for an interactive video game rather than a TV show.

Parenthood - near as good as Friday Night Lights, while being it’s own thing. It’s believable. And has a real nice balance between crippling dramatic situations and light-hearted humanity.

I watch a lot of Reality crap that would completely shit on any credibility I have if I listed it. But I guess I find it never ending interesting to witness and contemplate why people do what they do.

New Girl – hear me out on this before you bail.

I think I watched the first episode cuz I’m into chicks like Zooey Deschanel. And that was the end of that, it played like a zillion other 30min attempts to capture ‘careful’ comedy. Not my thing. (I’m more into Community… which is now RIP as far as I’m concerned.)

I kept reading about New Girl ‘finding its path’ so I eventually gave it another shot. Let my Tivo rack up maybe 15 episodes before I actually gave it a viewing. And let me tell you, I’m SO fucking glad I came back.

It’s well beyond the ‘quirky’ Zooey thing now. The other mates have their own lines which are all deliciously disparate and yet belonging within the unity of their ‘togetherness’. The writing itself is stupid genius. They have no issues at all slipping stuff in there that’s going to glide right past maybe 80% of the viewer base, stuff that you and I will hear and probably choke on it’s so intelligently funny (or else preposterously hilarious). The story lines are pretty fresh, at least as far as how they play out.

It’s not like any other sitcom I’ve given half a chance to the last few years. It doesn’t seem to care about that. Or if it does, it doesn’t look like it any longer. It ain’t afraid.

Most importantly, for ANY sitcom, I buy the interaction of those involved. They’re all unique together and yet they blend. And secretly, that’s what we all want, right? The idea that you can be yourself completely, and yet still gather among a group of people unlike yourself – and fit your finger in there like a glove, eh. Ain’t that why you’re here?

Trust me, it’s good stuff. You’ll have a good laugh, or several, every episode. And while you’re doing that, you’ll go, ‘Yeah… I belong.’

Give that a try. Some stupid shit is stupid good fun.

The actual episodes of "New Girl" must be a lot better than the adverts then. They combine lame with vapid yuck.

Back