What's for dinner?

Last night I had beef tacos.

It did at lunch in town today. :cool:

This was yet another One Of Those Days with too much running around. Dinner was lazy because fatigued. Mix some of the salsa roja I made last night with avocado flesh, squeeze a lime, and call it guac. Toast some maize corn tortillas. Grate some low-fat cheddar. Slice some slivers off a CostCo roast chicken. Drag out the jalapeños y zanahorias en escabeche (brined peppers and carrots). Eat. Wash down with my partner's beer and my 'healthy' tea, arrgh.

Tomorrow we'll stay home and throw miscellaneous tidbits into the big electric crockpot. None of those tidbits will be moving at the time. We hate trying to prep or eat food that flees from us. No "dinner on the run," eh? And I'll whop up a big weird potato salad. Maybe Peruvian style, with llama bacon.
 
Butter chicken and green beans with chocolate cheesecake for dessert, flavored with blackberry brandy. Unfortunately upping the temp and reducing the time for the cheesecake cups did not produced the desired consistency. Sigh.
 
Butter chicken and green beans with chocolate cheesecake for dessert, flavored with blackberry brandy. Unfortunately upping the temp and reducing the time for the cheesecake cups did not produced the desired consistency. Sigh.

That sounds great!
 
Last night I had pasta with shrimp and vegetables, celery, green and red peppers, carrots, and onions.
 
Yesterday was tough but I finally did some real cooking, not mere assembling. (This heart crap is fatiguing.) Sit at the low counter to chop veggies. Squint at recipes chosen previously; I'll skip my usual improvisations.

First, in the crockpot, my private turkey+shroom+bean chili, bubbling away, ready today. (Trick: use ground turkey AND reconstituted turkey jerky and Chinese black fungus.) Then the Joy of Cooking's take on German Potato Salad, very mustardy, with smoked bacon and a chopped dill pickle.

And then, from our favorite vegetarian cookbook, a rich repast of potato, sliced red onion, bleu cheese, and chopped celery and walnuts. Steam a couple of Evergood's chicken-pineapple sausages to accompany that, washed down with Martinelli's sparkling apple cider... and fall asleep soon after. Dinnertime!

Today's dinner will obviously include that chili. Yum.
 
Tonight I'm doing Mom's home cooking - chicken congee. It's a hug in a bowl! And there's so many different recipes! This was our winter breakfast growing up! Forget cereal! And you can eat it for breakfast, lunch or dinner. Doesn't matter!

28CHINESE-WEB1-articleLarge.jpg
 
Last edited:
Tonight was homemade venison and beef chili over acorn squash, cooked yesterday and reheated with shredded cheddar cheese.
 
Power recently returned after seven hours. Next time we feel strong winds during the day, we'll quickly pop a pizza in the electric convection oven, just in case. Tonight we feasted on sandwiches and the last of the pumpkin pie. Could have been worse. But I think we have a backup power generator in our future.

Except... we were hit by a monstrous outage at our last home. We bought a genny. We never used it -- no more monster outages there for the next decade. We traded it for fees to the mover who hauled some of our stuff to our current home. We're more likely to need a genny here because mountains and weather. Then we won't have to go out to the motorhome to microwave something.

Tonight will be better. Cajun sausage, spinach+mushroom sauté, the German potato salad I made earlier, and lemon-lime soda splashed with apple cider. We can do those even if power is out.
 
Last night was an amazing new recipe for Baked Chicken and Rice. I'm glad I doubled the recipe for another night!

Tonight, a cup of pea soup with a ham sandwich.
 
Baked shrimp, green peas and Alexia sweet potato puffs. I don't recommend the last, too sweet. Apparently they add sugar.
 
Last night was chicken and bell peppers, mushroom, pineapple skewers & shrimp mixed with rice.
 
We're on hiatus right now, so I can cook instead of just buying food on the run, so we had red peppers stuffed with a ground beef, white rice, chopped mushrooms, shallots, and garlic filling, brushed with olive oil, and baked, and cassoulet with confit duck legs, Borlotti beans and pork bellies. Almond paste (Marzipan) baked pancakes brushed with Sicilian lemon and honey, and honey glazed baked figs and crystallized lemons with Banon cheese for dessert made by my husband.
 
Salmon soup tonight. Very easy. Diced onions, potatoes, some salt and I always add a little soy sauce. Cubes potatoe. Add water. Cook. When potatoes almost done add cubed salmon, cook lightly. Add cream and Dill. Serve with fresh crusty bread out of the oven. Yum! It's winter weather and soup is called for tonight
 
Homemade baked venison and beef meatballs with a swedish meatball sauce and green beans.

Swedish meatballs

1 pound ground beef
2 eggs
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
3/4 cup quick oats
1/4 tsp. salt

Mix all ingredients and form into meatballs. Bake at 375 for twenty minutes. (I wrinkle up aluminum foil on a rimmed cookie tin then spray with cooking spray to bake them on. A broiling pan would work even better.)

Swedish Meatball Sauce

2 cups beef broth, preferably low sodium
1 cup heavy cream or half n half
3 Tablespoons butter
1 Tablespoon dijon mustard
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 Tablespoons tapioca starch mixed with a quarter cup cokd broth or water

Bring all ingredients except the tapioca to a simmer or light boil then stir in the tapioca. Mix well as it thickens and remove from heat.

Put cooked meatballs into sauce. It's tradional to serve over egg noodles but I serve them as is with plenty of veg.
 
Back
Top