Batman: Year Two

Veroe

Maestro/Truthseeker
Joined
Apr 5, 2009
Posts
62,447
((Closed for Myself and EroticLiteracy))

IC: Katelyn Bishop

It was her birthday again. She never celebrated it anymore-not since she was very little. She hated her birthday. It was always a reminder of what she'd lost.

It was evening in Gotham City now. An hour or two more it would not be safe for even her-a Gotham City police detective-well when she was not bogusly suspended that was.

She stood on the Corner of Franklin and Thirty-eighth. One of the worst neighborhoods in the city. The historic Spade theater-the place of her last happy memory with her parents had been-had been closed down for years. After that night fewer and fewer people showed up and the decline of the neighborhood around the theater slipped further into the crime-riddled cesspit it was now.

Her birthday-one night that ruined everything for everybody.

Kate put her hands in her leather jacket and stared at the place her dad's car had been parked that night. She sighed. She hated her birthday. She hated being reminded of what happened here that night. Yet she kept coming here every year.

A Limousine drove past. She had seen it do that last year too. It was the first time she had realized Gotham's forgotten son, Bruce Wayne had returned after years of people thinking he'd died or just run off somewhere off the face of the planet. She saw the limo stop and the elderly driver open the door. A young and handsome man climbed out and for a moment she saw in his eyes...something...something familiar...but it was just a moment and the Bruce Wayne she read about in sensational supermarket rags.

She had not encroached upon his time in that alley he walked into now when he'd showed up last year out of respect. That was before a year after disgusting wasteful story after story was published about his behavior in the year since he'd come back from the dead. It was baffling to her, like it was the only thing he wanted was for the world to see how spoiled rotten and terrible he was.

So she walked down the street past the theater and towards the alley the Limo was parked at. "Bruce Wayne."

The elderly chauffeur stepped in her way.

"May I help you miss," The man asked.

"Yeah, you're Alfred right? You can get out of my way," She told him, "I have something to say to your boss."

That was when the so-called prince of Gotham came out of the alley, and for a second she saw that look in his eyes that did not jive with the irresponsible playboy she read of in the tabloids. Then it was gone again.

She straightened up at his words and glared to him, "I know what happened to you in this alley, and I can't understand you now. Anyone who went through what you did should be trying with everything they have to make sure nothing like this will ever happen to anyone else ever again not wasting their life so disgracefully."

She turned to leave, "That's all I wanted to say, Mr. Wayne. Have a good waste of a life."
 
“I can’t believe it’s that time of the year again”

The handsome billionaire in the well-cut suit kneeled down amongst the trash and broken bottles. He swept his large hand over the plaque sweeping away the trash that had culminated on the bronzed placard. I disgusted him to see the alley where his parents died being so run down and abused. What was once a grand spectacle of a movie theater was now a monument to just what the city lost.

Crime Alley! He spat at the name. Of all the things that made him angry since his return to Gotham this was the biggest one. The police and their corruption took what was already a crime ridden city and turned it into a cesspit. Calling Gotham a crime city was putting things mildly. The crime families owned the city and could ultimately do whatever they pleased. The Falconie crime family was the current rulers, the true kings and queens of Gotham.

Or at least they HAD been.

“Master Bruce”

Bruce heard the slight warning in Alfred’s and rose out of his crouch. He was a large man with big broad shoulders and a chin that could make a woman throb. The suit he was wearing was well tailored showing off a muscular torso you had to work hard just to even come close to achieving.

He saw the women coming at him and cocked his head in confusion. Was this an admirer? Someone who was interested in the playboy persona he was trying so hard to cultivate? He assumed it was and put on his best and sexiest smirk as she came over.

“Well hello there” He purred reaching out with his hand “It’s a pleasure-“

Before he could “drop a line” she spoke cutting him down with a deft hand. He froze at her words his hand half outstretched in a goofy looking way as she told him off. For the first time since coming back to Gotham Bruce was utterly shocked at the woman and her words towards him. He hadn’t expected ANYONE to care what he was doing and counted on that to keep his “hobby” secret.

But that wasn’t the case with her. She was actually angry about what he was doing since he came back. He was speechless and so when she turned and left he let her.

“Are you alright Master Bruce?” Alfred asked coming over and doing his best not to smile “Cat got your tongue?”

Bruce shook himself and finally had the sense to drop his hand.

“Who was that?” Bruce asked turning to Alfred.

“I’m not sure Master Bruce” Alfred said gesturing to the limo “I did however get a picture we can run a facial using the computer.”

“You go back and run it” Bruce said moving towards the limo and opening the trunk. He reached into the trunk and pushed away some golf bags. Set into the trunk was a small fingerprint scanner that Bruce pressed his hand against. There was a soft light as the scanner confirmed his identity and then with a beep a secret panel built into the trunk of the limo opened.

“I have to go back to work” He said pulling out a black cowl with short ears and flipping it over to put it on.

……………………………………

THE NARROWS

“Hurry up!”

He directed them with his hand ignoring the fact that the women were naked in favor of the drugs they were currently stuffing into knock off teddy bears. The delipidated warehouse they were currently set up in was one of many the Falcone crime family owned through shell corporations and fronts. Micky didn’t know about all that but trusted his boss when they said it was impossible to find who owned what. They switched warehouses each night as well cleaning the previous one and repeating the process.

“Have you heard the latest news about the bat?” His second Leo asked as he lit a cigar.

“Bah no such thing” Micky said shaking his head “Its nothing more than a man stupid enough to openly attack Falcone”

“My cousin Charles Brown said he saw him!” Leo protested “He was beating the crap out of some of our men a few nights ago!”

“Chuck Brown is a loud mouth” Micky said snorting “There ain’t no such thing as the Bat!”

OUTSIDE

The guard on patrol didn’t have a chance to scream.

He was walking across the gravel when the black creature dropped down above him. The thug was grabbed before he could turn around a hand clamping over his mouth and pulling him into the shadow of the alleyway. The sound of punches landing echoed out of the darkness of the alleyway before giving way to a deep silence.

“I found her” Alfred said over the COM as Bruce pulled the grapple gun off of the magnetic holster on his belt.

“Tell me” Bruce said his voice coming out slightly electronic as the voice modulator in the mask disguised his voice. He brought the grapple gun up and pressed the trigger. The powerful mechanical gun spat out a length of high tensile cord. The end of the cord featured a small silver hook that imbedded itself into the top of the warehouse.

“Her name is Katelyn Bishop” Alfred said as Bruce pushed a button on the grapple gun and shot into the air “A member of the Gotham City Police Department”

“Why does that name sound familiar?” Bruce asked landing on the roof and striding towards the large window set into the warehouse. Above the moon hung in the sky letting off plenty of enough light to see his strange attire.

He wore what looked like a full body suit. The suit itself was armored with chest plates of a strange material segmented all over his body. A cowl hid his features covering his entire head except for his chin and mouth. He had a belt crossing his hips that featured an assortment of pouches, containers, and various other high-tech devices. A soft black cape trailed behind him just long enough to wrap his body in but not enough to get caught on the random debris that littered the warehouse.

“Searching now” Alfred said as Bruce reached the window and kneeled down. While Alfred searched he scanned the room taking note of the naked women handling the drugs and the three thugs watching over them. Bruce began to plan out his method of attack and was about to move in when Alfred spoke once more.

“Her parents were killed to” Alfred said his voice soft at the revelation “By Joe Chill on that night. You two sat in the police precinct together before I came to fetch you”

Bruce paused temporarily taken out of his mission as the information hit his own brain. Memories of that traumatic night ran back through him. He vaguely remembered a small girl in the police precinct with him but had been so lost in his own grief he didn’t pay it much mind. Years later when the trail started and Joe Chill was named he remembered reading something at the hearing about another couple gunned down on the same night. Again however his own grief kept his senses and his eyes closed.

And now it was coming back to haunt him.

“So she became a police officer” Bruce said grabbing a trio of flash grenades out of his utility belt.

“She did” Alfred said “Its no wonder she confronted you in the Alleyway Master Bruce”

He stiffened at the reminder. When he decided to play up the playboy aspects of being a billionaire it was under the assumption no one would care. It was expected of him and he didn’t mind people dismissing him if it meant he could protect his city. Yet her words bothered him, her opinion mattered to him.

“If I remember correctly she went into foster care and the Gotham Orphanage” Bruce said softly “Alfred can you arrange a benefit and a meeting to invest into the cities programs?”

“Most certainly Master Bruce!” Alfred said a bit surprised “I’ll make the arrangements”

“Thank you”” Bruce said activating the grenades. He keyed the COM off with his chin and moved forward dropping the grenades and waiting for them to explode before dropping in.
 
IC: Kate Bishop

The next day after she confronted the infamous Bruce Wayne in crime alley, she hadn't expected to get a call from the precinct, and especially not from James Gordon. So here she was sitting in the place of her work-the place of her life-apart watching the officers and detectives doing what she should be doing now was a surreal experience.

The changes happening too. Officers Montoya and Bulloch were sitting behind detective desks now. Others too were absent-those suspected or definitely that were on the take-they were gone. She'd heard in the last year the GCPD was cleansing itself out getting rid of the dirty cops.

Someone came up to her. "Detective Bishop, my name is Harvey Dent. I'm from the District Attorney's office."

"I know who you are, Mr. Dent," She rose up from her seat to shake the man's hand, "Anyone who's been investigated by IA knows who you are."

Dent shrugged, "I did make a name for myself making sure the department was accountable."

"Is that why you are here," She asked warily clutching the two files she had in her hands, "For unfinished business?"

Dent shook his head, "Relax, detective. After DA Reed was...well after she retired early last month...I've been promoted and have other responsibilities, but it still leaves some unfinished business I'm happy to take care of."

Gordon opened his office door, "Kate, Dent, Get in here."

She and Dent went into Detective-no since she'd been gone Jim Gordon had been promoted to Captain, and rumor said he was line for further rapid promotion as more and more of the senior brass in the department was forced to 'retire early'.

She sat down and Gordon smiled at her, and Kate suddenly had a flashback to that terrible night where officer Gordon's smile seemed like the only kindness in the world. Not for the first time she wondered if he remembered her at all. He never showed that he did.

"I'll cut to the chase," He told her, "Last night the Batman hit the headquarters of a lieutenant for Carmine Falcone. When we arrived we found them all practically gift wrapped for us and all the evidence we need to lock them up for a long time just laid out for us."

"Including solid evidence that Falcone had certain members of IA frame you in order to have you suspended from active duty," Dent put in, "In light of that I've been authorized to perform an independent review on Internal Affairs activities and cases against other good officers like yourself."

Gordon opened a drawer and pulled out a badge putting it on his desk before her. Kate took a deep breath recognizing it immediately. It was her badge.

"Are you ready to get back to work, Detective Bishop," Captain Gordon asked her with a pleased smile.

"What about my case against Anton Mariucci," She said holding out her manila folder for him to take. "That's the reason they wanted to get me suspended after all."

Gordon and Dent shook their heads, "You haven't heard...We found a dead body in the river we think may be Mariucci the other day...We're still waiting for positive I.D. but if it is you're case is pretty much irrelevant Kate."

She took her badge and suddenly felt whole again. A whole year robbed from her doing her job, what she was meant to do. "Yes, I want back in, Captain, but if I can't have the Mariucci case I want to be assigned to the Batman case."

"Why," both Gordon and Dent looked stunned, "They've had a year since he's shown up and have practically nothing, no leads or suspects at all..."

"Exactly," She said, "That's why I want to help take him down."

-----------------------X

Later that week

The newly reappointed Detective Katelyn Bishop had been surprised by the invitation she'd gotten, and especially from whom it was sent from. The newly made Wayne Foundation was having a charity benefit for the Twenty-first street orphanage-her home for the most of her youth.

She rented a ridiculous little black dress. Which for the price it cost she'd think it would stay up where it was supposed to be and cover what she wanted it to cover. The worst were the high heels she wore with it. Wobbly she tried to walk across the ritzy community hall filled with Gotham's upper crust eager to smooze with eachother and the acclaimed prince of Gotham. Fearing she'd turn an ankle with every step.

Why was she here? She had work to do hunting down that vigilante. But anything to help the lives of the orphans of Gotham City got her attention and her support.

She took a glass of champagne offered by one of the waiters and sipped at it tentatively before turning shakily on the unfamiliar heels at the sound of her name.
 
"Detective Bishop"

Bruce didn't know why he was making a point to talk to her. He wasn't sure if it was because he wanted to prove her wrong or if it was because of that little black dress that accented and put those lovely curves on display. There could have been another reason as well one that had more to do with her and wanting to impress her.

He waited until she turned taking the time to smooth out the jacket of his suit. When she faced him he flashed another one of his smiles and offered his hand.

"Care to dance?"

He took advantage of the fact that everyone was looking at them to take her hand before she could say no. He brought her forward just as the band began to strike up a slow jazz song. One hand went down to her hip holding it as the other hand took hers and began to lead her around the dance floor.

"Your words a few weeks ago had a profound effect on me" Bruce said as they continued to dance "I decided I could put some of my billions to better use and wanted to invest in the orphanage first. You and I are both orphans and I thought it was only fitting"
 
IC: Kate Bishop

She took a glass of champagne offered by one of the waiters and sipped at it tentatively before turning shakily on the unfamiliar heels at the sound of her name.

"Detective Bishop," It was him. Bruce Wayne in a tuxedo that looked like it was grown from the silk worms and Egyptian cotton plants just for him. Damn it, why did he have to look so handsome? How was a woman ever supposed to resist him?

"Mr. Wayne," She replied, "I was surprised you even remembered me."

He held out his hand for her to take flashing a smile that should be registered as a deadly weapon asking, "Care to dance?"

"I..." She stammered genuinely surprised at how he was acting towards her. She was not the bevy of supermodels or rich spoiled socialites he usually had as arm-candy. She didn't even consider herself all that pretty or desirable to be honest. She was okay with how she looked. She didn't care what others thought of her, never had really, but now here she was dithering about the smallest sign of interest from Mr. Bruce Wayne like a starstruck fool.

He grabbed ahold of her hand and pulled her in close as some jazz song started. She thought it was jazz, she wasn't really listening. All Kate could hear was the hammering of her own heart in her chest.

She was close against him. Too close. He smelled good. Was that cologne or aftershave? Was there a difference between the two? What a ridiculous thing to wonder in this situation.

She realized he was saying something and looked up at him Why did he have to be so damned tall or gorgeous or entirely kissable and other things-Jesus Kate-get ahold of yourself.

"Your words a few weeks ago had a profound effect on me" Bruce said as they continued to dance "I decided I could put some of my billions to better use and wanted to invest in the orphanage first. You and I are both orphans and I thought it was only fitting."

She frowned at what he was saying, "Is that supposed to impress me? You have lots of money, and yes it will help a lot of the boys and girls in that orphanage, but so what. Devote what you don't have a lot of...your time...volunteer to help those kids. Maybe even take one on as a ward and give them a good caring father figure to look up to. Money is cheap when you have so much you don't know what to do with it all."

She stopped the dancing and pushed away from him, "Congratulations Mr. Wayne, you aren't as shitty a person as I thought you were a couple of weeks ago. Well done. Good for you..."

She turned to leave him there with that, but to her horror the never to be sufficiently cursed bane on a woman's existence: the invention of fucking highheels failed her and caused her to stagger in her getaway from him. Imbalanced she fell over about to land sprawled on the floor in a humiliating display before all of these people if he had not reacted quickly and caught her.

Her cheeks heated as she murmured to him, "Thank you."
 
Her reaction surprised him.

Bruce was used to easily impressing people. The woman he “dated” were always impressed with his money and so were the people he rubbed elbows with in the town. So when she seemed altogether not impressed with him to say he was surprised would be an understatement. She continued speaking talking to him about his TIME instead of his MONEY.

For the first time since coming back to Gotham Bruce felt like he had during his years of running around the world. His training took him to places and corners of the world where money didn’t matter versus the quality of your soul. In those places HE had to prove himself, his money only got him there.

“Here let me help” He said reaching down and easily grasping her forearm. He pulled her up and smiled at everyone waving them off with a practiced hand and walking her out of the small charity ball.

“You know I own and manage a fortune five hundred company right Ms. Bishop?” Bruce said folding his arms and raising an eyebrow at her “A company that can do great things for Gotham IF I can clean up the corruption. Just because I run a life style you don’t agree with doesn’t mean that I’m sitting idly by. The work I am doing for Gotham is the most people have done for this town in a long time”

Bruce eyes widened slightly. He realized he was dangerously close to letting his nighttime activities slip and hurriedly shut his mouth. What was it about this girl? Was it because they were both the product of the same event? Did her opinion matter?

“I should get back” Bruce finally said his tone soft “Ms. Bishop I know you have no reason to trust me but everything I have done since that faithful night has been for this city and to honor my parents. I have every intention of saving Gotham but it will be MY way. I look forward to proving you wrong
 
IC: Katelyn Bishop

She turned to leave him there with that, but to her horror the never to be sufficiently cursed bane on a woman's existence: the invention of fucking highheels failed her and caused her to stagger in her getaway from him. Imbalanced she fell over about to land sprawled on the floor in a humiliating display before all of these people if he had not reacted quickly and caught her.

Her cheeks heated as she murmured to him, "Thank you."

His arm was around her waist. He felt strong and right, which oh so frightening in a lot of ways.

Reading the tabloids about the many many women Bruce Wayne had wined and dined and forgotten about the moment he got what he wanted from them railroaded through her mind. She had always shaken her head towards those women, but now in his arms she could see the allure, the temptation to believe she could be the one that would convince the infamous Bruce Wayne to change his spots.

Leopards don't change their spots and neither will Bruce Wayne.

“You know I own and manage a fortune five hundred company right Ms. Bishop,” He released her and crossed his arms regarding her with a raised eyebrow, “A company that can do great things for Gotham IF I can clean up the corruption. Just because I run a life style you don’t agree with doesn’t mean that I’m sitting idly by. The work I am doing for Gotham is the most people have done for this town in a long time.”

"And what have you done so far since coming back from the dead, Mr. Wayne?" Why had he reacted that way? His reaction didn't quite jive with her. It was almost as if he regretted what he said-like he just realized he'd said too much, but what could that be? Her instincts as a detective were in high gear. She didn't like unanswered questions, never had. Unanswered questions chewed at her like hungry little piranhas. The only way to get them to stop was to dig and dig to find the answers for those unanswered questions-okay that was a mixed metaphor but no less the truth for her.

“I should get back” Bruce finally said his tone soft “Ms. Bishop I know you have no reason to trust me but everything I have done since that faithful night has been for this city and to honor my parents. I have every intention of saving Gotham but it will be MY way. I look forward to proving you wrong."

Kate's eyes narrowed. "One thing Mr. Wayne...Just where were you during those seven years everyone thought you were dead?"

"Bruce," Came a voice from behind her cutting any response he may have made off. She turned to see none other that Asistant District Attorney Harvey Dent coming up to them, "You should have told me you were getting a philanthropistic itch. Me and Liz could've told you the best ones to give to to serve the community without going through the hassle of building one from the ground up."

His eyes widened at looking at her, "Detective Bishop? This is a surprise. What are you doing here?"

She shrugged, "I've asked myself that the moment I came up here. Any party with caviar and champagne instead of chips and beer is the rarefied air of skies I don't normally fly."

"Well you do clean up nicely," Harvey nodded regarded her in her ridiculously expensive and showy black dress and then turned back to Bruce, "And speaking of cleaning up...I'm glad it seems you've finally finished sewing your wild oats my friend...I have my eyes on a political career and could use a good man like you at my back during it."

Dent offered a hand for Bruce and it ended with a brotherly embrace and pat on the shoulders.
 
He froze at her question as well as the narrowed eyes that to him said “I know something is up”. He was used to fielding questions about the events surrounding his “death”. High society was nothing if not gossipy and the main topic everyone seemed interested in was what Bruce Wayne was doing when everyone thought he was dead. So far he did nothing more than dodge the question not because he couldn’t fabricate an answer but because he knew it only added to the mystique.

He also knew that wasn’t going to work here.

Before he could say anything though she was distracted by the sudden appearance of a man calling his name. Bruce turned his head his eyes landing firmly on Harvey Dent and studying him. He knew Harvey from back in the day and was one of the few people he counted as a friend but hadn’t bothered to visit since his return.

“Harvey!” Bruce said reaching out to shake his hand “It’s been a while!”

Before Harvey could shake his hand however he turned to talk to Ms. Bishop. Bruce watched the interaction noting with some curiosity how Kate seemed to dislike him. Something to do with his attorney career perhaps? Or were they at one-point lovers?

Bruce wasn’t sure why but the idea of Dent and Kate being together caused the jealousy to stir in his gut. He didn’t have any claim to her…. Didn’t even like her!

So why would he care?

After a brief exchange Harvey turned his attention back to Bruce and took his hand. They embraced in a rather bro hug that made Bruce feel more awkward than anything else. When Harvey finally released him he couldn’t help but breathe a sigh of relief.

“Politics eh?” Bruce said raising an eyebrow “Sounds about as fun as a trip to the dentist office”

He noticed the hopeful look remaining on Harvey’s face and turned to Kate instead.

“What do you think Detective Bishop? Bruce asked pointing at Harvey “Do you think I should back Harvey in a campaign? Do you think he is what this city needs? Is that a good way for me to help this city?”
 
IC: Katelyn Bishop

"And speaking of cleaning up...I'm glad it seems you've finally finished sewing your wild oats my friend...I have my eyes on a political career and could use a good man like you at my back during it."

Dent offered a hand for Bruce and it ended with a brotherly embrace and pat on the shoulders.

“Politics eh?” Bruce said raising an eyebrow “Sounds about as fun as a trip to the dentist office”

Kate could relate to that sentiment. She hated politicians. Everyone knew Gotham had gotten so bad due to the corruption at city hall. The GCPD up until a year ago was full to the brim with cops on the take, but it didn't hold a candle to how in bed with the mob the politicos were.

“What do you think Detective Bishop? Bruce asked pointing at Harvey “Do you think I should back Harvey in a campaign? Do you think he is what this city needs? Is that a good way for me to help this city?”

"How should I know?" She replied with an annoyed shrug. She was getting tired of being out of her element here. Kate did not belong in this ridiculous dress, or these suicidal high-heels, or up here in a party hobnobbing with the upper crust of Gotham. She was just an orphan from crime alley after all. She belonged in just jeans and a T-shirt and only reading about Bruce Wayne in the tabloids not giving him political advice.

"Honestly," She continued eyeing Dent up, "Dent has a reputation for being an honest guy, and for a lawyer in this town that is saying something. Also even with that going against him he gets convictions, which to an honest cop like me that means he has my vote. Still he tends to come off as a little slimey."

Dent looked wounded from what she said at the end, "Slimey?"

She shrugged an apology to the man but adding to Bruce, "If you do help him you should probably ask yourself would a reputation as a womanizing billionaire playboy be any real help to his political career or be a hindrance."

"Well that was brutally honest," Dent sighed, "What else would we expect from the woman who's going to take down the Batman?"
 
Bruce turned eyeing detective Kate with interest after Harvey’s word.

“Going to take down the Batman huh?” Bruce said his voice more dismissive than worried “If he even exists”

“You don’t believe in the batman Bruce?” Harvey said his tone surprised “You do know there has been plenty of eyewitness reports to back him up at this point”

“Perhaps” Bruce said waving his hand “but in my opinion people will do and agree with anyone else to gain some fame and some prestige. Bring me proof or a picture. Seeing is believing”

Before he could say anything more a beeping sound rang out from the pocket of his suit. Bruce frowned reaching into said pocket and digging out a top of the line Waynetech smartphone. He pressed his thumb against the screen giving it the chance to scan it and unlock the screen. The screen went blank for a second and a bat signal quickly flashed before the screen went blank again.

“Excuse me” Bruce said moving towards the door “I have some thing just came up. Harvey if you wish to gain my support then we can have a meeting tomorrow at my office to discuss your plans for the city and why I SHOULD support you.”

Bruce reached the doors leading out of the ballroom and turned to give Kate one last look.

“I look forward to speaking to you some more Ms. Bishop” Bruce said giving her a nod “Hopefully one day soon I can convince you I have this towns best intentions at heart”

And with that Bruce opened the door and ducked outside.

“What did you say to him?” Harvey accused turning to her “Did you say something to upset him?! You do realize that was Bruce Wayne you were talking to?!”

Harvey didn’t bother to wait for her to speak instead opting to scoff and stomp away to sulk.

………………………………………………

ONE HOUR LATER

“I take it your charity ball didn’t go well?”

Bruce growled in response to Alfred’s slightly sarcastic question and threw another devastating palm strike at the thug currently trying to bash his face in. The open-handed strike smashed into the thug’s face breaking his nose and causing the thugs head to snap back with a satisfying SNAP. The thug blinked his eyes unfocused as he tried to figure out what just happened.

“Drop” Bruce growled his voice scrambled through the digital recorder. The thug took a hesitant forward in response his eyes still unfocused before he finally fell onto the floor of the dirty warehouse.

“The ball went fine” Bruce snapped stepping over the body of the thug and moving to the sheets of paper he was carrying. Falcone was adapting taking his business offline where it could be hacked and using paper trails and old ciphers. Bruce admired the attempt.

Even if it didn’t make a difference.

“It’s going to take the Bat computer to break the code” Bruce said activating the palm scanner on his gauntlet. He waved his hand over the documents letting the powerful scanner copy and wirelessly upload copies to the Bat Computers cloud.

“Files received Master Bruce” Alfred said a moment later “The bat Computer is currently crunching through the data”

“I’ll stay on patrol then” Bruce said stepping out of the ruined building and heading the black motorcycle waiting for him.

“Let me know if it changes” He told Alfred before straddling the bike. He kick started the engine and after logging into the crime band took off into the night.
 
IC: Katelyn Bishop

"Well that was brutally honest," Dent sighed, "What else would we expect from the woman who's going to take down the Batman?"

“Going to take down the Batman, huh?” Bruce said his voice more dismissive than worried “If he even exists.”

She noted Bruce's tone. Was he one of those idiots that thought the Batman was some sort of urban legend like a talking alligator the size of a man in the sewers. The thought that hardened criminals were shitting bricks because of some boogeyman from some tall tales being told to them was ridiculous. No they've seen him or heard of him from people who've encountered him. The Batman was very real, and breaking very real laws in doing what he did.

"Now that I'm off the bogus suspension Falcone trumped up for me," She explained to him, "I've been assigned to the Batman case."

“You don’t believe in the batman Bruce?” Harvey said his tone surprised “You do know there has been plenty of eyewitness reports to back him up at this point”

“Perhaps” Bruce said waving his hand “but in my opinion people will do and agree with anyone else to gain some fame and some prestige. Bring me proof or a picture. Seeing is believing”

His phone buzzed and Bruce excused himself to look at it for a moment then told them he had to leave saying, “I look forward to speaking to you some more Ms. Bishop” Bruce said giving her a nod “Hopefully one day soon I can convince you I have this towns best intentions at heart”

"And I look forward to seeing your face when I drag the Batman in with handcuffs, Mr. Wayne,"

With that he left them and Dent rounded on her, “What did you say to him? Did you say something to upset him?! You do realize that was Bruce Wayne you were talking to?!”

He turned and left her and she sneered after him, "Good evening to you too, Mr. Dent."

------------------------X

Two weeks later

Last year when the Batman first started waging war on the criminals of Gotham city the investigation into him was the new and sexy thing to jump onto for the detectives of the GCPD. They thought finding who he was would be easy, and would look good on their resumes, or a career beyond into public service. However as the investigation progressed it became clear that this batman was not like any other vigilantes. He did not make mistakes. He did not leave critical evidence to tie whoever he was to his illegal activities. Neither did he tend toward the excesses vigilantes were known for like murdering those they judged to be criminals. So therefore public opinion towards the Batman remained supportive of his operation.

So now all of those detectives had gradually transferred to other investigations that would look good on a resume, also Captain Gordon and Harvey Dent's efforts to clean out the department from crooked cops had taken its toll on the team as well.

So today she sat in the conference room alongside her sole partner, Detective Sean Knox staring at the evidence bags laid out over the table to help them piece together a theory on this vigilante.

"Well, Kate," Sean told him, "You wanted to see everything we have on him."

She surveyed the piled up evidence from crimescenes the Batman had been involved in. There were coils of rope, broken pieces of glass, A bent one of his bat-shaped ninja stars, and pieces of fabric torn from clothing worn by mobsters scuffling with him, and so much more.

She shook her head, "You're telling me we have all this as evidence and no leads whatsoever?"

"Yeah," Sean nodded, "That's what I'm saying. This guy's too good and practically a genius too. We've been after him for a year and its like he's been one step ahead of us from the start. I don't even think he's human."

"I don't believe that," She told him firmly, "The Batman is a man, not an alien from outer space like that guy in Metropolis, or a vampire, or boogeyman. He's a man, and we're going to use all this to catch him and lock him up."

"Should we," Sean asked, "He goes around beating up the bad guys after all. Why don't we just stand back and let him do his job."

She rounded on him, "It's not his job! It's ours. And even if we do that..." She lifted a case file, "How many cases of Assault and Battery of Gotham's citizens are we supposed to turn a blind eye towards? Sure they were working for organized crime or were muggers or burglars, but they had rights that were violated by this man who has no respect for due process of the law. Also what if he snaps and goes too far...what if he actually kills somebody, Sean? Would you be able to live with yourself knowing you just stood back and let him do whatever he wanted then?"

Sean looked away frowning, "No, I couldn't live with myself if that happened."

"So go start up the coffeemaker," She told him, "The two of us are going to pull an all-nighter pouring through every piece of evidence we have on him here until we figure out a solid lead to pursue."

----------------X

One week later

It was thanksgiving and Kate had volunteered to spend it with her family...the orphanage in Crime Alley. She did this every year, and it was usually the only way these kids could get the same family experience other children throughout the nation were having today. The orphans were playing in the other room.

One named Tyrone had a blue bedsheet tied around his neck with popsicle sticks scotch taped to the side of his backwards Gotham Knights baseball cap shouting at the top of his lungs, "I'm Batman," and chasing the other children who were playing mobsters. They were getting a little rambunctious out there. She usually played ringmaster trying to control the kids, but when the woman who usually cooked here at the orphanage got married and had moved to Central City she had gamely volunteered to take over that duty.

That might have been a mistake she considered as she hunched over looking into the oven at the blackened, burnt turkey inside.

The doorbell rang, and Sister Mary the head of the orphanage left to answer it. A few minutes later Kate was wondering if she could find someplace open for her to order pizza or Chinese food. When someone came into the kitchen.

"What are you doing here," She exclaimed looking at none other than Bruce Wayne holding a huge-perfect looking-turkey straight out of the famous Norman Rockwell painting. Behind him was his butler and an army of caterers carrying dishes into the dining hall.
 
He raised an eyebrow at her outburst to tired from his recent nights to deal with it. The last few nights on patrol were harder than his first year as Batman. There was something big going on either that or Falcone was finally tired of playing their little game. Every thug Bruce encountered as Batman seemed to be packing extra firepower and body armor. They were starting to learn from his tricks to forcing him to adapt as well as his usual roof top vantage points were now booby trapped and there were less shadows for him to live in.

“Where else would I be Ms. Bishop” Bruce snapped ignoring Alfred’s cross look as he brought the Turkey he was carrying to the front table.

“What my Master is trying to say is that this year instead of funding the Orphanage thanksgiving feast he decided to get a caterer for it” Alfred chimed in protecting Bruce’s ass as he directed the serving crew with his free hand.

“Something like that at least” Bruce said placing the turkey down and wincing as the bruises on the left side of his body protested.

“And we are grateful for the help Mr. Wayne” The caretaking Doctor Leslie Thompson said stepping forward.

“Of course” Bruce said sighing and checking his frustration. When he turned back that patent pending Bruce Wayne smile was firmly back on his face.

“I brought something for the staff as well” Bruce said gesturing for Alfred to bring the gift-wrapped box up. He took the box from him handing the long rectangular package to Leslie and gesturing for her to open it.

“You shouldn’t have Bruce” Leslie said blushing and pulling at the packaging. She tore it off revealing a expensive wine bottle box that boasted its price.

“I thought you deserved a treat of your own” Bruce said nodding his head “You all did! Please partake of it freely!”

“Not without you of course!” Leslie insisted a large smile on her face “Isnt that right Detective Bishop?”
 
IC: katelyn Bishop

"What are you doing here," She exclaimed looking at none other than Bruce Wayne holding a huge-perfect looking-turkey straight out of the famous Norman Rockwell painting. Behind him was his butler and an army of caterers carrying dishes into the dining hall.

“Where else would I be Ms. Bishop,” He told her flippantly as he sat the turkey down on the table.

Overlooking as his small culinary army finished laying out the cornucopia on the serving table she told him, "I don't know...frolicking with naked supermodels on your private yacht somewhere..."

“What my Master is trying to say is that this year instead of funding the Orphanage thanksgiving feast," His butler, Alfred, informed her with a sharp acidic tone that somehow conveyed through the British accent, a level of fatherly approval at the same time, "He decided to get a caterer for it."

She looked back to Bruce reevaluating her opinion of the handsome billionaire playboy she had dismissed so easily before. Was he actually taking her advice about becoming more personally active in aiding the less fortunate of Gotham's citizens.

“Something like that at least," He said with a wince and favoring his left side for some reason.

Kate's eyes narrowed. He had a face of frustrated pain, "Are you okay? Did you hurt yourself carrying turkey-zilla there?"

But the head of the orphanage Doctor Thompson came up then interjecting, “And we are grateful for the help Mr. Wayne."

"Of course," He replied with the trademarked Bruce Wayne smile that melted even the coldest of women's hearts. The frustration and pain seemed to have vanished just like that, replaced by the playboy's smirk.

She watched him walk towards a giftwrapped box saying, “I brought something for the staff as well.”

Doctor Thompson seemed to beside herself as she unwrapped it revealing a whole case of expensive wine bottles.

Kate shook her head stepping away as the others circled around to join her in a toast to Bruce Wayne.

That was typical Bruce, show off how much cash he had to impress everybody without really committing himself on a personal level to the cause. She looked back to him. Though she had to admit it did look like he was trying.

She went into the other room where the kids were playing with eachother. Tyrone was still running around chasing the other children exclaiming, "I'm Batman!"

She turned to find Bruce coming after her two glasses of the wine in hand. "Why are you doing this, Mr. Wayne? Why are you pursuing me like this? Don't you have enough woman hurling themselves at you? I won't be yet another notch on your bedpost. So why do you seem to be chasing me?"
 
It bothered Bruce to see the rest of the staff enjoying the bottle of wine but bishop moving away. A burst of anger that had NOTHING to do with the fact that the attractive woman wasn't falling pray to his advances or the recent hard nights on the street with the toast of crime in Gotham.

Deciding to do something about it he ignored Alfred's warning look and instead grabbed two glasses of the wine. He let Leslie pour them both a glass and with a determined turn of his heel followed after her.

He was stepping up to her when she turned towards him and snapped at him. His eyes widened slightly in surprise at the brash words and anger bubbled up inside of him. His playboy demeanor and his usual smooth operating skills were quickly thrown out the window as he thrusts one of the drinks at her.

"I was coming to give you a drink" Bruce growled his tone short "I dont care what you think and that's not why I am here. The word doesnt revolve around you detective Bishop. I have done this event even before I came back to Gotham and I so happened to make this year my first appearance. I don't answer to you and I certainly don't need you to approve of me being a better person for Gotham."

With that he turned downing his wine in one gulp and coming back over to Alfred.

"I want my suit" Bruce hissed in a low voice.

"Master Bruce" Alfred said his tone patient "You can not run like a child everytime this woman makes you mad! You have a responsibility here to the children."

Bruce sighed glancing back at them before huffing.

"Thank you Alfred" He said adjusting his tie "Please make sure everyone gets a piece of the turkey. I am going to step out and get some air then I will be back in"

"Certainly Master Bruce" Alfred said relief filling his eyes. Bruce nodded and turned stepping out into the back playground. He watched the snow for a few seconds admiring it falling.

.......................................

Meanwhile

Halfway across Gotham A meeting was taking place. It was a meeting held in the upmost secrecy. A meeting designed to exclude a certain terrorizing bat vigilante that was the cause of the meeting.

It was deep in the abandoned sections of the Gotham subway system. Every precaution that could be put in place to stop Batman was there.Even so the men and woman of the various crime families moved in fear. This wasnt a good meeting and the four men who sat at the front of the table were nervous instead of triumphant.

"You all know why we're here" Carmine Falcone said speaking up at the head of the table.

"To kill each other?" Roman Sionus countered his face hidden behind the steel black mask he had on his head. Some people claimed he was horribel disfigured under there while others said he just put it on for shits and giggles.

"Very funny" Falcone said shaking his head as the other crime bosses laughed "You think the Bat is going to find you so funny?"

"You think I give a damn about some guy in a bat costume?" Roman countered chuckling "At least we don't have a fucking red white and blue god in our town!"

Every one around the table shuddered at the idea of Superman. The thought hung in the air for several moments before Falcone slapped the table and startled them all.

"Batman is worse" Falcone countered "Superman or whatever his name is spends more time in space or helping people around the world. Batman doesnt leave Gotham, Batman is VERY interested in us."

The others nodded and Falcone let them dwell on that before continuing.

"All of our best guys have gone after the Bat" Falcone remarked "Not of them have even gotten close. It's time we pull our resources together. It's time we source outside to try and end our Bat problem"

"You want to call an exterminator?" One of the other mob bosses said glancing at the others "And what we all chip in?"

"Even better" Roman said his voice gaining excitement "I have an idea boys... if we're going to be spending money we might as well make it a show!"

"What are you talking about?" Falcone said shaking his head.

"One night to kill the bat" Roman said grinning "We all chip in make it a big pot. What do you say boys?"

"Want to watch him die in prime time?"
 
Last edited:
IC: Katelyn Bishop

Kate stood there taken aback as Bruce left the room in a mic drop type of moment. Had she judged him so wrong, so completely?

"I'm Batman and I got you!," One of the little girls screamed catching her attention. Little Tyrone had caught the other kids he'd been chasing after. they were struggling against him and Kate came over.

"Come on kids," She announced, "Supper will be ready in a few minutes. Why don't we watch some TV until then, okay?"

She led them over to the television and picked up the remote control turning it on.

"Thank you...You're watching Gotham Classic Movies...The voice on the screen said and now back to the classic: The Sword of Zorro."

Familiar theme music came on and Kate staggered back suddenly thrown back to that night. Memories flooded through her mind's eye.

She and her parents sitting down on the premier night of this movie. Two rows in front of them was Bruce and his parents.

"Are you okay," Tyrone asked her concerned at her reaction.

"Yeah, I just need to get some air..." He told him stepping back.

She remembered laughing as she watched Bruce play with those ridiculous cardboard 3d glasses during the previews. After the movie she remembered watching the Waynes stroll past to the theater's exit as she and her father waited outside the restrooms for her mother to join them.

She made it to the hall. She needed to get out. Get some air.

After ice cream she remembered drowsing in her father's arms as he and her mother walked to the corner where the car was parked.

There was the back door. She needed her spot.

Her mother noticed the flashing lights at the other end of the street. "What's with all the police cars down there," Her mother asked.

"I don't know, but we should hurry home," Her father bent down sitting her in the back seat.

She reached the door as tears began to flow down her cheeks.

"Give me the keys to the car, man!"

Someone was behind her father. She looked up out the car window as her father straightened and lifted his hands up.

"Okay, don't shoot. You can have the keys."

The man took the keys from his hand.

Her mother put in emotionally, "Just let us get our daughter out of the car."

"Don't move lady..."

She jumped as she heard three loud BANGS!

Her mother fell.

"Elaine!"

"Shit!"

BANG! BANG!

The car shook as her father's body slid down it to collapse on sidewalk.

"Shit! Shit! I just wanted to get away!"

Her eyes widened as the man pointed the gun through the open window directly at the place between her eyes.

Her hand found the door handle even though the tears welling up in her eyes made everything very blurry.

"I didn't mean to kill them, Kid. I didn't. I didn't want to shoot anybody tonight. You gotta believe me."

She looked up numbly at the gun pointing at her and the scared eyes behind them. Shock had frozen her in the carseat, a spectator to her parents' murders.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry...but I can't leave another witness."

She watched as his thumb pulled back the hammer. The cylinder of the revolver turned. Those scared eyes turned away closing tight as his finger squeezed the trigger.

Click!

She stumbled through the door straight into the arms of Bruce Wayne. She looked up at him extremely embarrassed. "I...I'm sorry. They were showing that movie on TV and it all came crashing in on me."

His arms felt good around her. Strong and yet compassionate at the same time.

"God, I must look pathetic to you right now," She said wiping the tears from her face, "You've probably grown well past what happened to you in that alley that night...and here I am falling to pieces as soon as they show that stupid Zorro movie on TV."

Why had he not let her go yet? Why did she not want him to let her go yet?

"Give me a second," She told him turning her head from him in mortification as she tried to get her shit together once again, "I'll be fine. Lesl-I mean Doctor Thompson-really helped get over this a long time ago."

That was a lie. Leslie had tried of course, but Kate never had moved on from that street corner that night. Secretly she never wanted to forget no matter how badly the memories hurt.

If she did it would be the final nail in her parents' coffins if she ever did.
 
Bruce stood outside for a bit watching the snow as it fell from the sky and began to pillow the streets of Gotham. After having been away for so long Bruce was learning to appreciate the different seasons and there effect on his city. Summer was to hot for his liking but winter....

Winter was his favorite.

The cold bit against his skin but he ignored it. In reality this was nothing compared to the cold he felt during his training. His quest to become master of his body and mind took him to many places. The Himalaya mountains were one of them and it was there he truly learned what cold felt like. He lived in it, worked in it, trained in it, and eventually mastered it.

Just like most of the things he set out to do.

After a few more minutes he realized it was time to go back. With one last prideful look over his city he turned on his heel and moved back to the doors leading into the orphanage.

SMACK

The minute the doors opened he felt someone running into him. His arms flew up grasping and wrapping around her at the same time he heard that familiar voice. He stepped back as Kate dried her tears and began to speak.

His eyes widened in shock when she implied that he thought her pathetic. How could he? When they were both victims of the same traumatic event?

"Kate" Bruce said his voice soft "How could you ever think that?"

He heard his voice getting thick and hurriedly cleared it before speaking.

"There is no one here in Gotham that knows what you are going through" He told her his voice firm "You can't see a movie? I burned every copy of Zorro two days after the event and had Alfred banish them from our home. The depths of your pain I know them, I know them and have lived through them"

He let that hang in the air for a second before continuing.

"There isn't anything to apologize for Kate" Bruce told her reaching out and touching her shoulder "it dishonors both our parents. It's hard but it's on us to keep going to try and live up to and honor their memory"

He moved back to the door.

"Let's get back in and make sure those kids have a good thanksgiving"

..................................................

MEANWHILE

"So we're all agreed?"

Roman waited for each of them to nod. On the table were five pictures each representing the most dangerous assassin in the world. It was a hodgepodge collection of freaks and military men and women who were making a name for themselves. Any of them would have the skills to take out the bat.

But why leave such things to chance.

"I'll have my contacts reach out"" Carmine said speaking up "One night five million dollars to kill the bat. Christmas day is the day the contest begins."

"I'll have Cobblepot supply them" Roman said speaking up "And also set up the live entertainment. With any luck we can turn this into a profit as well"
 
IC: Katelyn Bishop

"I'll be fine. Lesl-I mean Doctor Thompson-really helped get over this a long time ago."

That was a lie. Leslie had tried of course, but Kate never had moved on from that street corner that night. Secretly she never wanted to forget no matter how badly the memories hurt.

If she did it would be the final nail in her parents' coffins if she ever did.

"Kate" Bruce said his voice soft "How could you ever think that?"

She looked up to see his face. The suave and slick billionaire was gone now. In his eyes she could see the real man behind the mask of the playboy looking back down at her.

"There is no one here in Gotham that knows what you are going through" He told her his voice firm "You can't see a movie? I burned every copy of Zorro two days after the event and had Alfred banish them from our home. The depths of your pain I know them, I know them and have lived through them"

Yes, that was it. This was the real Bruce Wayne. The only person in the world who could empathize with what it was like to watch helplessly as a man stepped into your life to rip your parents, your sense of security, and your very innocence away from you. He was the only one who could possibly understand the pain she felt.

"There isn't anything to apologize for Kate," He reassured her. He lifted his hand to hold her shoulder and Kate took a steadying breath bolstered by his strength, his nearness, his understanding.

"You can't see a movie," He told her, "I burned every copy of Zorro two days after the event and had Alfred banish them from our home."

"I didn't go that far," She said wiping away the last of her tears, "I just avoided it like the plague for the past twenty years."

"The depths of your pain, I know them," He continued feelingly, "I know them and have lived through them."

She bent her head down pressing her forehead against his well tailored suit. He smelled good. He had broad shoulders too and strong arms underneath. She took a deep breath full of him and found it oddly centering, not just the cologne, but the scent of him.

"When they sent me here after..." She murmured against his shoulder, "Everything reminded me of them...and after a while I hated anyone seeing me cry about it again...so I came out here whenever it happened...I'd sit on those steps and cry about it."

She lifted her head to look up at him. Why did he have to be so damned tall?

"Some days I'd look up at the clouds from here and imagine they were looking back down on me from heaven," She continued pushing away from him, "Other days I'd imagine their ghosts haunted this backyard and I'd talk to them. I'd tell them how I was doing and how much I missed them both so much and how it still hurt so bad. This was the place I learned to survive what had happened."

She stepped back and instantly realized she had forgotten her coat inside. She crossed her arms to hug herself from the chill in the night air, "Was it like that with you?"
 
The minute he noticed her shiver he was sliding the tailored coat off of his own frame and handing it to her.

"Here" He said handing it to her seemingly oblivious of the cold "take it"

"I suppose we should go in but it feels good to talk to you about this" Bruce said speaking more honestly and openly than he ever had before.

Not since his parents death at least.

"It was for a bit" Bruce said remembering his own grief and how he worked through it. He did the things she did for a time, everything from talking to his parents to imagining them still with him. It didn't last long however not when that anger turned into something else so easily.

Anger.

"I wish I could say it lasted longer than it did" Bruce said revealing something intimate not even ALFRED knew about "but for me my grief seemed to turn to anger overnight"

He felt that same burning pit inside of him and cleared his throat before continuing.

"I became less hung up on my family and more obsessed with getting them justice" He explained with a slight downward cast of his eyes "I let that consume me and burn away the raw emotion and grief I was feeling"
 
IC: Katelyn Bishop

She stepped back and instantly realized she had forgotten her coat inside. She crossed her arms to hug herself from the chill in the night air, "Was it like that with you?"

He took off his suit jacket and held it out for her, "Here, take it."

She looked at it about to refuse his generosity but a chilling breeze slicing her through to the bone changed her mind. She took the coat and slipped it on. It was warm. Also it smelled like him. It had his cologne and the scent of him on it.

"I suppose we should go in but it feels good to talk to you about this," He told her and in his eyes Kate saw the real Bruce Wayne as he looked back at her.

She nodded at that, "I don't think I've ever told anyone what I just told you."

To answer her question he looked up to the night sky, "It was for a bit. I wish I could say it lasted longer than it did."

He looked back to her adding with clearing of his throat, "But for me my grief seemed to turn to anger overnight."

"Anger," She repeated questioningly.

"I became less hung up on my family and more obsessed with getting them justice." He told her looking down at his hands. "I let that consume me and burn away the raw emotion and grief I was feeling."

"I think I know what you mean," She said taking hold of his hands in hers. Kate looked at those hands. They were rough, calloused. Something about that didn't fit with her image of this man. These were the hands of a man who used them constantly rather than have servants like his butler doing the hard work for him."

"I was upset by it too. I was so hurt and angry all the time for so long I didn't know what to do with it. I lashed out at everyone. I blamed everything, the entire world for what happened to us. It's why no one wanted to adopt me, and I did not want anyone to adopt me." She confided.

"I was so upset when I heard they were going to let him off," She looked him in the eye, "You remember right? You were there. I didn't go into the courtroom because I knew they'd find the gun in my pocket. So I waited outside for when Chill would come out a free man. It turned out I never got to use it. Someone paid off by Carmine Falcone shot him before I could even pull my pistol out of my pocket."

She turned from him and sat down on her step. "That night I sat here and stared at the gun in my hands. I stopped blaming everyone else and looked at what I felt about what I was doing and where I was going. I could have become just like him, Bruce. I could've used that gun to take his life because I was angry and had nowhere but him to unleash it on."

She looked up at him, "That was the night I decided to do something about it. I wanted to make sure no one ever would go through what we went through or anything like it ever again. I wanted to work for justice not vengeance, the right way, within the rules."

She smiled up to him, "That was the night I decided to become a cop."
 
Bruce eyes widened surprised at how much their lives mirrored each other. While she talked his eyes flashed and he remembered his own trip to the court house the night they let Joe Chill go. His hand twitched remembering the feel of cold steel as he tucked the revolver into his coat pocket. He remembered how strange and heavy it felt in his coat especially as he walked up the stone steps. Just like her he came to kill Joe Chill but unlike her he went inside.

Was that the difference? That she starred at the gun and decided to turn to law and order? Of course he didn't use the gun either but he did bring it to bear on Carmine. He would have pulled the trigger to if Carmine hadn't had the balls to call him out on how stupid he was. The mistake he made was in opening Bruce's eyes to the true corruption of Gotham.

A act that changed the destiny of the city itself.

He shook his head dispelling the thoughts and watching her. His eyes softened and he came to the realization that Kate was the better person than him. She took the right path...

The true path.

"That was the night I dissapeared" Bruce said unsure of what to say and how much to tell her. He ran a hand through his hair pushing away some of the snow building up on the top of his head. He glanced out at the city his eyes distant and stormy before turning back to her.

"I think it is time to go inside" He said the walls back up as he brushed past her. He moved to the door wrapping his hand around the cold handle before hesitating. His back tightened struggling with something internally before turning back to her.

"You weren't the only one that came in with a gun" He admitted to her. He opened his mouth to say something else before he closed it and opened the door.

"Come on Kate" He said that old Bruce Wayne smile coming back.
 
IC: Katelyn Bishop

She smiled up to him, "That was the night I decided to become a cop."

She saw his eyes widen at her news, but not just out of shock there was an odd sense of sympathy to his eyes-as if he knew full well what it was like. Good. It had been the moment in her life that had set her course, her destiny in a way. It made her feel good that he seemed to understand the importance of it to her.

He shook his head saying softly, feelingly, "That was the night I disappeared."

She could tell there was more, so much more, to this story, but Kate could see it was an intensely private part of Bruce's own struggles.

The always inquisitive detective part of her wanted to ask him why he had left Gotham. She wanted to ask him where he had run off to. She wanted to ask why after seven years he suddenly came back. But she wound up not asking him anything.

The moment was over and the mask he had chosen to wear as the billionaire playboy slipped back in place over his face.

"I think it is time to go inside," He told her turning back to the door back inside the orphanage.

She got up to follow him inside when he turned back to her saying, "You weren't the only one that came in with a gun."

Her jaw dropped. "What? You? You were there to...to do it too-"

He opened the door and smiled to her that refined cocky little smile, "Come on Kate."

He went back inside and she went after him grabbing him by the elbow turning him to look into his eyes. "Did we go to that hearing for the same reasons? Did we both want to make him pay for what he did that day?"

After his answer she took a deep breath and nodded. She began to pull his jacket off. "I suppose you'll want this back now that we're inside again?"
 
They stepped back inside and he turned from her questions. He wasn't sure what to say to her or what to reveal. No one knew about what he did or how close he came to killing a man. The night in question still haunted him for a variety of reasons. It was the start of his crusade as well.

The beginning of his mission.

"Yes" He finally said as she began to pull of his coat "Yes we both did"

He reached out grabbing the jacket before she could pull it off and stopping her.

"Keep it" He said glancing out at the falling snow outside. He turned back to her that charming Bruce Wayne smile back on his face. He reached out gently touching her cheek for a second before removing his hand and moving towards the entrance back to the orphanage.

Within seconds the mask of Bruce Wayne was back. He moved amongst the workers congratulating and talking to them. He played the crowds well and even though it seemed a bit like an act there was a kindness there that could not be denied.

He cared that much was clear.
 
IC: Katelyn Bishop

After his answer she took a deep breath and nodded. She began to pull his jacket off. "I suppose you'll want this back now that we're inside again?"

He reached out grabbing the jacket before she could pull it off and stopping her, "Keep it"

Kate saw his walls go back up and they served thanksgiving dinner. The kids of course ate like they hadn't been fed in weeks.

She smiled watching Bruce help herd the kids back upstairs to their beds for the night. He carried little Tyrone yawning sleepily, "I don't have to go to bed," He asserted to him, "I'm Batman."

She caught him again as he was climbing back into his towncar.

"Bruce," She called out to him and her cheeks heated as he turned those dangerously deep beautiful blue eyes on her, "Thank you...I mean the kids really appreciated...tonight...err...what you did for them, I mean."

Why was she stumbling over her words to him like this? She was pathetic here, putty in this man's hands.

She caught hold of herself and waved good bye to him his jacket sleeve obscuring her hand as she made the gesture. "Happy thanksgiving to you, and to you Alfred."

-----------------------------X

Three weeks later

"...My client intends to seek compensation in court against the Gotham PD for its lack of action in stopping this criminal menace, this crazed barbaric hooligan that the leadership of this city's police department looks the other way as he plays judge jury and executioner..." Leon Short the defense attorney and human reptile in the $3000 Armani suit declared shaking a finger at her.

She and Detective Knox had visited Gotham general to get his statement about his encounter with the vigilante, the Batman. Harry "Big Bill" Willams was an up and coming star in Carmine Falcone's extortion business. One look at him and Kate could see why. The man was huge and looked mean enough to break the knees of his own grandmother if she owed Falcone some money.

They had come expecting "Big Bill" to stonewall their questions as well as Harvey Dent's efforts to flip him to turn evidence on his boss. They were surprised at how cooperative he became once he realized they were after the vigilante that had put him in his current position laying in a hospital bed.

She flipped another page as she wrote down the story "Big Bill" relayed what happened that night the vigilante, The Batman, had snuck up on him and as best he could remember it the fistfight in "Big Bill's" pool hall that ensued.

"I'm a tough son of a bitch," He told them, "I can go a few rounds with the heavyweight champ if I wanted, but this freak job...he wasn't even human. He was one of those...whatchacallsits...a superperson...like that alien freak in Metropolis. He was strong and fast too, and as mean as hell. I tried to give as good as I got, but he went through me like I was nothing at all to him...I scare people so they pay what they owe, but him...this freak gets off on scaring people...He never stopped or said anything...he didn't want nothing but to take me out...if I hadn't knocked my head...He wouldn't have stopped at all..."

He lifted his arms, both encased in casts from fingers all the way up to his shoulders. Kate could as the big tough man's lips trembled and tears welled up in his eyes, "They're broken for good. The docs say I can never play my piano again...."

He took a minute as he stubbornly fought back a very untough guy fit of sobbing before looking Kate in the eyes, angry and hurt and afraid, "Do your god damned jobs, pigs, and get that fucking maniac off the streets."

They left the hospital and began walking down the street to where they had parked their car. They walked past people doing last minute Christmas shopping in the high end shops lining the streets.

"He wasn't kidding, Kate," Sean told her as they reached their car, "'Big Bill' was one of Falcone's best heavies, and the Batman tore him apart."

She nodded opening the car door to get in, "You're right. I admit it. He has to be at a level above standard military training...but I was never wedded to the idea that he was just a pissed off veteran. No he'd have more of a killer instinct if he was taught by the military."

"So where does that leave us," Knox asked sliding behind the wheel and turning the ignition on, "Are you considering my theory that he's a ninja with a thing for bats now?"

She sneered at that crackpot theory proposed by less reputable members of the taskforce, "Maybe...how did he sneak past everyone in the pool hall to take out Williams first?"

"Come on, Kate," Knox rolled his eyes as he looked behind them before backing the car out of the parking spot, "You heard 'Big Bill'. He's obviously one of those metahumans popping out of the woodwork all over these days...like that one guy in Coast city that can make anything out of like green holograms or some shit...the Green Light...I think they call him."

"No, I don't think so. That doesn't feel right. Not with this vigilante," She murmured thoughtfully.

"What do you mean," Knox asked pulling the car out of the parking lot and into traffic heading back to the precinct, "What else could he be?"

"It's just the way he did it all. Sneaking in and beating the shit out of everyone..." They passed the Wayne Enterprises Building. Why was she wondering what Bruce was doing right now? To Knox she continued, "...It just speaks to me of skill...maybe crazy, impossible, skills, but something learned and honed obsessively for a long time not some flashy supernatural power."

"So you are on the Ninja bandwagon now," Knox laughed, "Well welcome aboard."

She gave him a withering look. "Have you got anything nice for your wife yet, for Christmas?"

"Changing the subject on me, Detective," Knox snorted, "But yeah I did...reservations at some new ritzy organic day spa run by some vegan new age quack...Eisley...Doctor Pam...Eisley...I think her name is...I have her card somewhere. But Emily's all into eating organic and healthy and being all natural and shit...she'll love it there."

She laughed rolling her eyes as he went on about his wife's relentless efforts to get him to go on a vegetarian diet and recycle and buy green products.
 
The rest of the Thanksgiving Dinner passed without any other outburst. Feeling emotional and raw after his talk with the alluring detective who knew him better than he wanted to admit. Bruce spent the time avoiding her and being there for the kids. When it was time to wind down for the night and finish up he made sure to see each of them off to bed. It would probably surprise most people that Bruce Wayne was as good with children as he was.

He tightened at her words but after several minutes relaxed an nodded his head.

"Thank you Detective Bishop" Bruce said watching her as she leaved "A happy thanksgiving to you to"

Why did that not feel right to him?

..................................................................

Meanwhile

He stood watching the sun beginning to set over the snow filled city of Gotham. Christmas was upon them and even though Wayne Manor was all dressed up for the occasion Bruce didn't feel like celebrating.

Then again he tried to remember the last time he was interested in a Christmas.

He turned moving away from the window and wiping his hand over his large granite desk. He felt like the desk large immovable an institution. His one man war on crime was his only passion the only thing he really cared about besides Alfred.

And then there was the detective.

Of all the people in the world she was the only person to understand what he was going through. Their talk on Thanksgiving played out like an endless loop in his head. He couldn't remember the last time he felt such a connection to someone. Even on his trip around the world he struggled to recall the last time he found someone like her.

"Master Bruce" Alfred said as the sun finally set and fresh snow began to fall outside "I'm preparing Christmas dinner now"

"Save it Alfred" Bruce said moving towards the picture of his parents. He stared at them for several seconds thinking of happier Christmas's. After a second he dismissed it and instead brought his hand over to the side and pressed his fingertips against the frame. There was a beep as the fingerprints were read and the picture swung open. His armor was waiting lit up for him.

"I'll be out tonight" Bruce said reaching out and grabbing the cowl.

"Very well" Alfred sighed.
 
IC: Katelyn Bishop

Kate looked at the clock on squad car's dash. It said 12:00 AM. It was now officially Christmas.

Kate rarely celebrated Christmas anymore. Not the same way the rest of the country celebrated the holiday at least. With the death of her parents when she had been a kid that infamous night in Crime Alley her Christmas celebration took an all new meaning. Now in her time as a police officer she either volunteered at the orphanage or put in to work the holiday shift so someone else on the force could be with their family.

Her partner for this shift-Officer Michelle "Mike" Santiago-had stopped at a convenience store at the corner of Third and Madison. Kate watched her come out with steaming cups of coffee in hand. The passenger door opened and Santiago slid in. She handed Kate one of the cups. "Here you are Detective. One coffee, two creamers and two sugars. Enjoy."

"Thanks," She said taking the coffee and blowing gently over it and taking a sip as Santiago settled into her seat and buckled up. Once that was done she put her coffee into a cup holder and pulled the patrol car out of the parking lot.

Santiago eyed her as they made their way down Madison towards Crime Alley. "Detective, you're on the Anti-Batman team, right?"

She smiled wryly to her partner, "Yes, Mike, I am a member of the Task Force investigating the vigilante referred to as the Batman. All two of us, right now, that is."

"If I may ask Ma'am," Santiago looked at her, "Why?"

She turned the patrol car left onto Vietnam Veteran's Boulevard. From here it was a short distance to the intersection of Fourth Street and onto Crime Alley. To Mike she asked, "Do you mean why I wanted on the task force?"

"No," Santiago shook her head, "I mean why even have the task force at all?"

They reached the intersection and she stopped in the turning lane waiting at the red light waiting to get onto Fourth Street and make their way to their patrol route in Crime Alley. To her question she turned her head to look back at her. "Are we just supposed to let that vigilante run free and unhindered throughout Gotham?"

"No I guess not," She said slowly, "Look I'm just a beat cop, Detective. I know these streets and these people. I've had muggers turn themselves in just because they thought he was in the shadows watching them. I've had people in the most gang-riddled neighborhoods cleaning out all the drug-pushers and pimps and streetwalkers because they feel he watches over them. All I know is ever since he showed up Gotham is changing, and I think it's for the better."

"And to hell with Law and Order then," She replied, "That's an ends justifying the means argument, Mike. There's a way to do what he apparently wants to do in a civilized world. The law, social activism, even fucking politics, not dressing up in crazy Halloween costume committing assault and battery with immunity just because it was on a bad guy or how he seems to completely ignore due process or his victims Maranda rights. What I am saying is: how he gains those ends and changes Gotham for the better matters just as much if not more so. That is why we have the task force. That is why I joined it. And that is why I will find him and arrest him for his crimes."

The light had changed and she lifted her foot to turn onto Fourth Street but had to slam it back down onto the brake as the light suddenly and inexplicably switched back to red again.

She looked out the windshield with furrowed brow. What in hell just happened? Lights suddenly didn't change back unless an ambulance was blaring through. Then a souped up red sports car roared through the intersection. One maniac hanging out of the passenger side brandishing what looked like an Uzi firing behind him as black vehicle chased after it through. It was a big vehicle flourished with fins that looked like bat wings and a jet engine in the rear of it.

His car.

She turned on the lights and siren of the patrol car and turned against traffic chasing after the vigilante.

----------------------------x

IC: Tommy Leung

Tommy grit his teeth as he pushed his fireball red Ferrari near a hundred miles an hour. The Bat's big black car was sticking right on their tail. Good. They had knocked over a jewelry store to get his attention and now they were leading the stupid freak right to the dead end street where the rest of the best hitters for the Gotham branch of the triad waited for him.

No matter how fancy his car was there wasn't enough armor in the world to withstand the firepower they had waiting for him. And even if he did somehow survive the trap he was being led to like a lamb to the slaughter the outside mercenary they had paid an exorbitant amount to as an insurance policy would settle him.

Tommy laughed as even the fucking pig-cops joined in the chase behind the bat's car. More lambs to the slaughterhouse.

That bounty on the Bat's head was as good as theirs. And even beyond the bounty the threat to their business the Bat represented was going to vanish tonight. Merry fucking Christmas, Gotham City, you're gonna learn even your savior can bleed. Ho Ho Ho.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top