Writing Goal for the Day?

Okay, so when the kiddies get to bed --

For the hockey story, working title R&B, I will move into Ch 5 and start it off with an argument. Then later, sex. but not between the same people who were arguing. ;)

For the reindeer story, not sure. But at least my protagonists have met.

Puzzling writing situation diagnosed. It's all dialogue. I don't think I have more than two sentences in a row of non-dialogue in over 7,000 words. :eek:

In contrast, I think the first draft of my first story here may have had two sentences of dialogue in as many words. :eek:

Pendulum? Meet your editor. :caning:

Puzzling writing situation diagnosed. It's all dialogue. I don't think I have more than two sentences in a row of non-dialogue in over 7,000 words. :eek:

In contrast, I think the first draft of my first story here may have had two sentences of dialogue in as many words. :eek:

Pendulum? Meet your editor. :caning:

That's an issue for me too. I sometimes have pages and pages of dialogue, and sometimes huge blocks of text (and long paragraphs at that) without it. :\

That is exactly how it is with me. If at the end I personally think 'wow this is great' that is usually the kiss of death. When I muddle and struggle and say "This sucks" I get the best votes and feed backs.

I guess that's what they mean by misplaced confidence.

When I come back and read what I previously wrote, I always hate it. Always. No matter what I thought of it at the time.

Some of that may be in my head. But not all. I hate my later drafts a lot less than my first drafts. And people who read my polished drafts tell me I'm crazy for thinking my writing style sucks so bad. But no one whose only read a first draft of something I've written has ever told me that! :eek:

That's an issue for me too. I sometimes have pages and pages of dialogue, and sometimes huge blocks of text (and long paragraphs at that) without it. :\

Feel free to borrow my editor. He's a sadistic little bastard, but he'll fix that pesky little dialogue/non-dialogue problem in no time. Just make sure you have some Ciao Bella Prickly Pear Sorbet on hand. It will be needed to ice down the wounds to your ego.

Feel free to borrow my editor. He's a sadistic little bastard, but he'll fix that pesky little dialogue/non-dialogue problem in no time. Just make sure you have some Ciao Bella Prickly Pear Sorbet on hand. It will be needed to ice down the wounds to your ego.

Perhaps I should.

I handle criticism pretty well, but I'm sure Prickly Pear Sorbet is nice to have anyway. :p

Perhaps I should.

I handle criticism pretty well, but I'm sure Prickly Pear Sorbet is nice to have anyway. :p

I once attended one of those 4 week writing workshops. Some of the other authors were told they have vivid imaginations, fully realized characters, a natural narrative voice, etc. I was told I take criticism well. That's...something. :D

My beta reader is a male Canadian who took psych courses and used to be a musician. You can imagine what he does with the actions and thoughts of my characters, not to mention the details of my hockey scenes.

Feel free to borrow my editor. He's a sadistic little bastard, but he'll fix that pesky little dialogue/non-dialogue problem in no time. .

Bahaha, but still...dialogue and non-dialogue is so frustrating. I know I have hit a massive wall when all I see is descriptive words setting up a scene and can't be bothered with witty/good dialogue just yet. Oh, like right now :) Must get motivated tonight!

Wow, last night my God Mother story took a wild turn. :eek:

Then after sleeping on what I had written, I decided maybe not. So, 1600 words down the drain. :mad:

Although maybe not all of them, I think there are part that can be salvaged.

We'll see. :(

Then after sleeping on what I had written, I decided maybe not. So, 1600 words down the drain. :mad:

Sorry to hear that Zeb. :(

Not wasted. Perhaps not directly useful, but not wasted. :)

Okay. Two pages on the hockey story, a few graphs on the reindeer. Better than nothing.

Certainly is.

Nothing so far today. Hopefully a page or two before calling it a night. :(

Just finished the rewrite of the God Mother stuff I did last night. Add another 2800 words today. And who knows how many words rattling around in my brain. I do need to work on the other two books I have going and still think about often.

More editing for me today when (if?) the kidlet naps. Damn construction next door.

Glad the God Mother (um, why the weird spelling?) worked out, Zeb.

Okay. Two pages on the hockey story, a few graphs on the reindeer. Better than nothing.

Penn! We've been over this. For the last time, if you absolutely must plot the relationship between the length of the line at Bens Chili Bowl and the number of goals the Caps score, use excel, or at the very least, a piece of paper. Leave those poor, defenseless animals alone. :mad:

Penn! We've been over this. For the last time, if you absolutely must plot the relationship between the length of the line at Bens Chili Bowl and the number of goals the Caps score, use excel, or at the very least, a piece of paper. Leave those poor, defenseless animals alone. :mad:

My reindeer are probably vegetarian. And at least I stopped using a slide rule. :p

More work on a mainstream anthology I volume edit and the start of pulling together research done years ago on a mystery I'm giving to one of my mainstream pen name mystery series writers.

Technical Editor/Adviser Wanted

I posted the following yesterday, Aug 9, on the Editors' Forum Board. So far no takers. I re-post it here:

I am seeking a technical editor/adviser, preferably a medical professional with ob/gyn and trauma experience. One of my characters is near delivery and is violently assaulted. I need to know about potential injury to the fetus.

Hopefully no one reading this has undergone such an experience; but if anyone has, and if she is willing to talk about it without suffering any additional pain (I'm sure she has already undergone more than enough), I would be grateful.

The story will be Chapter 4 of my series "A New Birth of Freedom". If licensed, it will be fan fiction and be posted in the "Celebrities" category.

I am looking for background technical advice before starting to write, and for a critique of the final draft. I will not ask the TE/A to review multiple drafts.

My standard terms: technical editor/adviser gets credited under their Lit handle. TE/A gets to read final draft; if disapproves, will be acknowledged but not as TE/A, or, if TE/A does not wish to be mentioned at all, of course I will follow direction. If TE/A approves, full acknowledgment as TE/A. I will make no changes in text once TE/A has read final draft. At all events, I will state that any errors, inaccuracies or omissions are solely my responsibility.

For background, the first two chapters are posted already, and the third is pending. Incidentally, I have acknowledged TE/As in an earlier chapter, so you can see how I handle that.

Thank you for your consideration.

'Tis seven pm... writing time is within sight... one kid to be around eight, that helps. Phillies won, too, so I'll take that.

Where's my hockey?

'Tis seven pm... writing time is within sight... one kid to be around eight, that helps. Phillies won, too, so I'll take that.

Where's my hockey?

October 7 for me, October 6 and 8 for you. Not that I'm counting down the days or anything. :D

October 7 for me, October 6 and 8 for you. Not that I'm counting down the days or anything. :D

Ulp! October 6th is NOT a good day. (1976 Thai Coup and 1981 Sadat assassination--both of which slurped up a good year of my life).

My day has turned out to be mostly sending invitation messages for a mainstream anthology I volume edit. Maybe I'll find time to clean up a story back from the editor for a habu anthology next year.

Ulp! October 6th is NOT a good day. (1976 Thai Coup and 1981 Sadat assassination--both of which slurped up a good year of my life).

My day has turned out to be mostly sending invitation messages for a mainstream anthology I volume edit. Maybe I'll find time to clean up a story back from the editor for a habu anthology next year.

Well, then, you obviously need to start finding things to associate with October 6 that would give you better memories. Hockey's a start. :)

I did some beta reading, then reviewed some notes from someone *cough* (Tatyana) *cough* and hope to do a bit more after the kiddies are in bed.

I wasn't born yet for the former and was only one for the latter, so I can't really comment on those. :)

Maybe you should become a hockey fan and rebrand the date.

Back