Anal Hook Safety

ecstaticsub

Literotica Guru
I will in the near future be experiencing anal hook insertion. Since my dominant will be doing the insertion and controlling what happens next he needs to be well versed in hook safety and use. I have always felt safe with him.

However, I always have felt that a submissive is equally responsible for they own safety and must also be aware of risks and safety techniques with anything new.

So I checked our BDSM library and didn't see too much that was helpful. If I missed a thread I would appreciate any links.

Then I do a google search and almost every thing I came up with had this disclaimer "This is not a toy for beginners. I would recommend the anal hook to more experienced players who are well-versed in bondage safety techniques"

But no more information on safety after that. I know that an anal hook is not for load bearing purposes. We won't be doing suspensions.

But what other information would be helpful for me to know, both from a safety point of view and how it would feel? The hook I will be using is one with 2 balls of different sizes on the insertable end. (smaller ball first, the size of the larger ball being 1.5 inches in diameter)

Thanks in advance!

I seldom indulge in bondage of almost any sort, so can't claim any degree of expertise. For bondage safety, I might suggest reaching out to Homburg and/or Rida, both of whom are vastly experienced in ropecraft and the safety precautions necessary for successful ropework. I would think that those "standard" safety measures would mostly apply, with some slight modifications/additions regarding the hook itself, e.g., "How do I get it out without an embarrassing trip to the ER if my sphincter muscles decide to spasm and not let go of it?" If you have a way to reach out to Ammre, I think I recall her being well-versed and experienced in both anal hooks and suspension.

Sorry I can't offer much more than vague pointers toward people who are more experienced in this arena than I am.

I seldom indulge in bondage of almost any sort, so can't claim any degree of expertise. For bondage safety, I might suggest reaching out to Homburg and/or Rida, both of whom are vastly experienced in ropecraft and the safety precautions necessary for successful ropework. I would think that those "standard" safety measures would mostly apply, with some slight modifications/additions regarding the hook itself, e.g., "How do I get it out without an embarrassing trip to the ER if my sphincter muscles decide to spasm and not let go of it?" If you have a way to reach out to Ammre, I think I recall her being well-versed and experienced in both anal hooks and suspension.

Sorry I can't offer much more than vague pointers toward people who are more experienced in this arena than I am.

"How do I get it out without an embarrassing trip to the ER if my sphincter muscles decide to spasm and not let go of it?"

Thanks alot! I didn't even think about that. Now I'm going to be obsessing about that fear. :eek:

I already plan on tapping into Rida's expertise as far as ropework. But I really need more info on the safety of having a big, unforgiving, object in my ass. I read a recommendation to pre-lube the anus with silicone lube but use waterbased lube on the balls and hook itself. My favorite lube for anal sex is olive oil. So I'm not so sure which would be best. I'm also wondering about the safety of trying it on myself, by myself.

Thanks

"How do I get it out without an embarrassing trip to the ER if my sphincter muscles decide to spasm and not let go of it?"

Thanks alot! I didn't even think about that. Now I'm going to be obsessing about that fear. :eek:

I already plan on tapping into Rida's expertise as far as ropework. But I really need more info on the safety of having a big, unforgiving, object in my ass. I read a recommendation to pre-lube the anus with silicone lube but use waterbased lube on the balls and hook itself. My favorite lube for anal sex is olive oil. So I'm not so sure which would be best. I'm also wondering about the safety of trying it on myself, by myself.

Thanks

I have not used the anal hook as it is depicted in photographs (i.e. tied to hair, or other rope bondages), but I have inserted all types of objects into my ass including hooks. I would be less concerned with sphincter spasms than tearing tissues. If the hook is properly inserted, it isn't going to be that much different than a plug. Once it's tied to something else, though, any movement in the ropes is going to be translated to the hook. That's part of its appeal, because it has it's own "stillness" requirement built into it.

You can probably regulate your own movement accordingly, but your partner needs to be aware of your limitations. Anything that causes you to jerk in the ropes could be translated to the hook, and that's where I would be most cautious. Similarly, anything your partner does that causes the hook to twist or penetrate more suddenly could cause a problem if the hook's movement does not conform to your anatomy.

(In this position, I like "astroglide" . . . a lot. :))

Last edited:
I have not used the anal hook as it is depicted in photographs (i.e. tied to hair, or other rope bondages), but I have inserted all types of objects into my ass including hooks. I would be less concerned with sphincter spasms than tearing tissues. If the hook is properly inserted, it isn't going to be that much different than a plug. Once it's tied to something else, though, any movement in the ropes is going to be translated to the hook. That's part of its appeal, because it has it's own "stillness" requirement built into it.

You can probably regulate your own movement accordingly, but your partner needs to be aware of your limitations. Anything that causes you to jerk in the ropes could be translated to the hook, and that's where I would be most cautious. Similarly, anything your partner does that causes the hook to twist or penetrate more suddenly could cause a problem if the hook's movement does not conform to your anatomy.

Thank you so much, that is exactly the kind of information I needed. I have inserted different size plugs and probes including a very firm long vibrator. But nothing attached to rope.

I very much appreciate your response

I have used the hook a couple of times but never with it tied to a rope. Like Eastern Sun mentioned, you need to be very careful to tear any tissue

For anal spasms there is a lidocaine containing gel called instillagel that is contained in long necked syringes and used for the purpose of preventing said spasm.
The downside of use is that after 5 mins you have a completely numb and unclenchable anus for at least half an hour.

I have used the hook a couple of times but never with it tied to a rope. Like Eastern Sun mentioned, you need to be very careful to tear any tissue

Thanks. If you don't tie it to a pope do you secure the top another way? I've seen bondage tape wrapped around the body holding the top of the hook down.

For anal spasms there is a lidocaine containing gel called instillagel that is contained in long necked syringes and used for the purpose of preventing said spasm.
The downside of use is that after 5 mins you have a completely numb and unclenchable anus for at least half an hour.

This brings up a couple of questions. I sort of laughed at Sir_Winston's comment about anal spasms and the hook getting stuck. I don't think I have ever had an anal spasm. Sometimes my outer sphincter doesn't want to relax but I've never had problems removing a toy due to spasms. How real of a possibility is this?

Secondly, using any kind of anesthetic in my ass seems incredibly dangerous. If I can't feel the hook then how wold I be able to tell if it is causing damage. Not to mention one of the reasons I want a hook in my ass is so I can feel it.

I regularly do anal kegels to practice relaxing and strengthening the muscles. I would think that would help, right?

This brings up a couple of questions. I sort of laughed at Sir_Winston's comment about anal spasms and the hook getting stuck. I don't think I have ever had an anal spasm. Sometimes my outer sphincter doesn't want to relax but I've never had problems removing a toy due to spasms. How real of a possibility is this?

Secondly, using any kind of anesthetic in my ass seems incredibly dangerous. If I can't feel the hook then how wold I be able to tell if it is causing damage. Not to mention one of the reasons I want a hook in my ass is so I can feel it.

I regularly do anal kegels to practice relaxing and strengthening the muscles. I would think that would help, right?

This would be more for removing it if you are having spasm issues, there is no way I would use it as a lube before play!
It is often used to retrain the rectum to relax to allow poo out for people who have spasm issues.

I agree that if the hook is tied in place so very little movement moved the hook, care should be taken. Those hooks I've seen have the basic curve to minimize any problem, but depending on the submissive and the way the hook is bound to her/him, there is potential for a problem. While the risk is small, it does exist.

Take care to make sure the hook has no rough edges. All welds should be totally smooth. I like the chromed version, but as long as it's stainless steel, it should be easy to use and keep clean. Take care that it doesn't have any areas that might attract dirt or whatever, because keeping it clean in-between uses is necessary so there is no chance of infection.

There are two basic types that I've seen. One is the basic hook with a rounded off end. It's good for easy insertion, but also more easy for tissue tearing if twisted the wrong way while inserted. This version should be checked for smoothness, for sure.

The other type has a steel ball welded on the end. I like it best, because it's less likely to injure you, and it has a particularly commanding feel when inserted. But the area where the ball is welded should be checked for smoothness.

That's the main thing to be concerned about with any of these hooks. Make sure there are no rough edges or welds that could damage your body. This shouldn't be limited to just the part that goes into your ass, but the whole hook. If there is an area on the other end that is sharp, your back could be scratched.

Sorry, if I seem to be repeating myself, but when things are mass produced, they can sometimes end up with quality being secondary thought in the production process. Finding this out with the first use can be painful.

Use is something you will have to decide for yourself. Personally, I like to keep them semi-tight, but not so tight that the submissive can't move around. When she moves, she feels the hook move inside and that adds to the helpless feeling, but it can also be very sensual.

Like mentioned above, if tied too tightly, the hook can be pushed too far inside and it can end up causing problems if there is any further movement. The curve of the hook follows the rectum pretty well, but only to a point.

And in particularly rough sessions, the hook isn't going to give...the body will. Keep in mind that this is metal inside the body. The tissue is very sensitive, and very soft. It won't take that much to damage. That's one reason why I like the one with the ball welded on the tip. That...and its size is fun, too.:D

Last edited:
Use is something you will have to decide for yourself. Personally, I like to keep them semi-tight, but not so tight that the submissive can't move around. When she moves, she feels the hook move inside and that adds to the helpless feeling, but it can also be very sensual.

Yes, DVS. I totally agree. I thought of posting again to this thread to point out that some movement down the ropes can be incredibly sensual.

Your point about rough edges or welds in the metal is also great. None of my favorite toys/tools have been bought online. You have to touch and examine the object before you buy it to know its quality.

I agree that if the hook is tied in place so very little movement moved the hook, care should be taken. Those hooks I've seen have the basic curve to minimize any problem, but depending on the submissive and the way the hook is bound to her/him, there is potential for a problem. While the risk is small, it does exist.

Take care to make sure the hook has no rough edges. All welds should be totally smooth. I like the chromed version, but as long as it's stainless steel, it should be easy to use and keep clean. Take care that it doesn't have any areas that might attract dirt or whatever, because keeping it clean in-between uses is necessary so there is no chance of infection.

There are two basic types that I've seen. One is the basic hook with a rounded off end. It's good for easy insertion, but also more easy for tissue tearing if twisted the wrong way while inserted. This version should be checked for smoothness, for sure.

The other type has a steel ball welded on the end. I like it best, because it's less likely to injure you, and it has a particularly commanding feel when inserted. But the area where the ball is welded should be checked for smoothness.

That's the main thing to be concerned about with any of these hooks. Make sure there are no rough edges or welds that could damage your body. This shouldn't be limited to just the part that goes into your ass, but the whole hook. If there is an area on the other end that is sharp, your back could be scratched.

Sorry, if I seem to be repeating myself, but when things are mass produced, they can sometimes end up with quality being secondary thought in the production process. Finding this out with the first use can be painful.

Like mentioned above, if tied too tightly, the hook can be pushed too far inside and it can end up causing problems if there is any further movement. The curve of the hook follows the rectum pretty well, but only to a point.

And in particularly rough sessions, the hook isn't going to give...the body will. Keep in mind that this is metal inside the body. The tissue is very sensitive, and very soft. It won't take that much to damage. That's one reason why I like the one with the ball welded on the tip. That...and it's size is fun, too.:D

Thank you so much for this information. I wouldn't have thought to carefully examine it for rough edges, though my dominant most likely would notice.

I ordered one on-line with a ball on the end. It just seemed much safer than a plain hook. I am excited to try it. But I am sure the first time may be more getting used to it before more more intense play.

Yes, DVS. I totally agree. I thought of posting again to this thread to point out that some movement down the ropes can be incredibly sensual.

Your point about rough edges or welds in the metal is also great. None of my favorite toys/tools have been bought online. You have to touch and examine the object before you buy it to know its quality.

I wish I lived close enough to a store where I could walk in and buy an anal hook. The stores near me have floggers and buttplugs but anal hooks are a little on the extreme side.

I wish I lived close enough to a store where I could walk in and buy an anal hook. The stores near me have floggers and buttplugs but anal hooks are a little on the extreme side.

Yes, this is one great thing about living in a big city. Maybe you and your partner can take a "shopping trip" together sometime.

Yes, this is one great thing about living in a big city. Maybe you and your partner can take a "shopping trip" together sometime.

Yes, that's always been on our list of Things to Do, however we seem to always get distracted by other activities. ;)

Back