PMS Help!

sheath

Literotica Guru
Joined
Dec 27, 2001
Posts
6,168
Hello, all. :)

I have a question, of course.

Right before my period starts, I get VERY pissy. PMSy, my man calls it. For three or four days, I'm incredibly weepy, depressed, annoyed by every little thing, pissed as hell at the world. I'm really fucking annoying to live with, even to myself. I know it's PMS...it hits like clockwork, right before my period. Any other time of the month, I'm perfectly fine, no problems. I'm pretty even-tempered most of the time. And when those three or four days are over, I'm often surprised (again) by the way I blew so many little things into very big things. *sigh*

I've tried Midol, and all the over-the-counter PMS drugs, to no avail. They do help the bloating and cramping, but the mood? No way. I can't see any change in that part of me.

Before I go to see the doctor about this, I was wondering if any of you know of natural remedies for PMS? It's not the physical symptoms that bother me so much, because I can alleviate those. It's the moods that have me going insane!

Any ideas? Maybe herbs that might help? Anything?

Thanks in advance. :) I appreciate all of you! :rose:

S.
 
Unfortunately I have no cures to help alleviate your PMS (if I did I'd probably have a path a mile long to beat my door down) but kudos to your man for accepting your moodiness in a gracious manner.

At least the both of you have wonderful communication skills where he isn't floored by it out of left field.

I wish I could help though.:(
 
Lust Engine said:
Unfortunately I have no cures to help alleviate your PMS (if I did I'd probably have a path a mile long to beat my door down) but kudos to your man for accepting your moodiness in a gracious manner.

At least the both of you have wonderful communication skills where he isn't floored by it out of left field.

I wish I could help though.:(

Thanks, LE. :) :rose:

Yes, he's pretty cool about it, thank goodness. But I know it has to get pretty annoying. He's learned to just take long drives and such when I get to be a little too bitchy. It keeps us both happy during the PMS monster days. :cool:

S.
 
sheath said:
Thanks, LE. :) :rose:

Yes, he's pretty cool about it, thank goodness. But I know it has to get pretty annoying. He's learned to just take long drives and such when I get to be a little too bitchy. It keeps us both happy during the PMS monster days. :cool:

S.

If that's what keeps his head about him, I think he's solved his problem with your PMS. Now if we could only find some herbologist to cure your problem with PMS.

Again, kudos to your man; he seems like the kind of guy who's worldly & smart enough to dance around these things without escalating them. Besides he chose you so he can't be that stupid of a guy...!:D
 
Ask your Gyn. about Zoloft... they prescribe it now for 2 weeks out of the month just for PMS , and it has helped me alot... I have not noticed sexual disfunction either..
 
I tend to have the same problem .. the first two days before my period and the first day are utter hell for me.. I tried the calcium and b complex idea from another friend of mine and it did not seem to have any effect.. Talk to your Doctor if you cant handle the hormonal bitchyness that effects us poor women.. best of luck.
 
Hi! This is lost5pints wife... I havent gotten my own sn on here yet, so I'm using his... I've heard of using b complex, but i dont know if it works.. i know that St Johns is sposed to help BUT!! if your taking BC, it WILL cause your bc not to work anymore.. same as if you were taking an antibiotic... my psych put me on effexor for anxiety disorder, and to help even out my moods.. but there were sexual side effects :( the only problem , si that i dont know if it was from the meds or the anxiety disorder.. could have been either one... on an emotional level tho, it was great..
also, sounds like your husbands a jem! which is great...
anyway... if your set on getting an herbal remedy-- go to your local GNC and ask... believe me, i had a good friend that worked, there, and over heard this gorgeous man asking her quesitons about an herbal viagra... they get odd questions all the time! good luck, and please let me know if you find anything..
~Ness
 
You also might want to talk to somebody about PMDD - it sounds like that might be what you have, instead of regular old PMS. It's the same type of thing, but much much worse, and the treatments are different.
 
PinkOrchid said:
St. John's wort also makes some people photosensitive (sensitive to sunlight), so be careful. It also takes about 2 weeks to be fully effective, so you either need to stay on it all the time, or start taking it about when you ovulate or just before. depending on your cycle. And I'm not sure of its effectiveness for PMS. It's an herbal antidepressant, and for mild depression has about equal effectiveness to many Rx antidepressants.

I'd try other things before antidepressants, but that's just me.

From the sounds of it, an antidepressant will just deal with the emotional side of things. It almost seems as though you just might need to deal with the physical discomfort you have too.

But then being a guy, I'm almost positive we have oddball mood swings too every month- maybe not as apparent & drastic as women, but I know a hard workout always helps me keep my keel a little more even. Maybe working out??:confused:
 
Black Cohosh is supposed to work, and/or topical progesterone.

Serious amounts of naprosyn like 600-800 mgs-prescription strength taken a day or two before until your period begins help too.

midol has caffeine in it by the way.
 
PMS Help

Lots of water. Or maybe its just me- if I'm dehydrated before my period I get very bitchy and sobby.
Having worked with a dr that did women's health stuff, I know some MDs are now perscribing Prozac in LOW doses to help with PMS "issues." And it seems to be working for some of his patients.
They're right about the St. Johns' wart- it will make your b/c pill ineffective. Not sure about the patch, but better safe then sorry.
Talk to your doctor, he/she may be able to perscribe something that helps or give you a few tips on dealing with PMS.
If you live with other females of menstral age, that can throw you off kilter too. For some reason 2 or more women living together will sometimes produce effects like this. I took crap from my step-mother for years because of it.
But I degress. Good luck on finding what works for you :)
 
Re: PMS Help

ITA about the water consumption. It definitely keeps blosting away and just keeping hydrated makes you feel better anytime.
GNC has a whole slew of natural products for PMS. They even have a PMS herbal teas made of black cohosh and chamomile among other things that always makes me feel better.
If I were you, I"d definitely try to alleviate this problem naturally, because I"ve heard that many prescription drugs have not so good effects on your sex drive.
Good luck!
 
Wow! What great replies!

I'm making a list of things to look into, and doing searches on some of the remedies you have all mentioned. I have tried St. John's Wort in the past, and it did nothing for me after about six months of use, so I stopped. Otherwise, I just take a multi-vitamin, but I'm going to look into the supplements mentioned here.

About prescription drugs...I'm really, really not wanting to go that route. I'm in Birth Control, and that's enough...I really wish I wasn't on that. I hate putting medications in my body unless they are absolutely, entirely necessary. (BC isn't really necessary, so I guess I'm trumping myself there, huh? *sigh*) Anyway, I'm going to exhaust all other options before turning to prescriptions drugs.

entitled: Thanks for the heads up on PMDD. I'm going to do a search on that next. :)

Thank you, all! I appreciate it, and I'll let you know what happens. :rose:

S.
 
I've found my PM mood swings pretty uncontrolable! (Also not wanting to try and use prescription drugs to control them.)

My advice would be.. embrace the inner bitch! Its over in a few days, and I find it pretty cathartic to weep, bitch, moan etc. and have an excuse for it!! Sometimes I even get to use it in a construcive way (for art and things), so long as its not a lethargic, stay in bed type mood!

But if you're really worried about it affecting your relationship trying some of this advice seems valid too!

There's always the traditional cure-all that is chocolate.

And exercise.. especially competative sports! Not that I could bring myself to do anything that energetic before my period...

Good luck!
 
One of my colleagues at work says that too much caffeine during that time just makes her even more miserable & it really throws her moods so maybe cut back on the coffee just prior to might help.:confused:
 
I never thought about the caffeine thing. I know that I do drink more caffeine during those few days, because I am SO tired. The day before my period starts, I have no energy at all. Without caffeine, I would stay in bed all day and sleep. It's not that I dip into depression, or anything like that. It's just a deep, bone-weary lethargy that I can't shake. Caffeine helps.

I've never really paid attention to whether or not caffeine makes me irritable. I'm definitely going to pay attention to that now, though. :) Thanks!

S.
 
i get that lethargic feeling, and have talked to various doctors about it over the years. In me it's caused by anemia, so they had me start taking iron supplements for a few days. It's helped immensely.
 
Hoo boy...for all the advice you're getting here, I'm really starting to believe that each person is going to havve their own unique brand of dealing with this. I just hope that you can take in all this info and calculate what works for you.:rolleyes:
 
entitled said:
i get that lethargic feeling, and have talked to various doctors about it over the years. In me it's caused by anemia, so they had me start taking iron supplements for a few days. It's helped immensely.

ditto that for me as well. An iron supplement has greatly helped with my anemia and increased my energy levels during that time of the month.

I also partake of Raspberry tea, hot, at least three mugs a day during this time of the month. I dunno the reasoning behind it, but when I was a young woman and I began to menstruate my mother would give me a mug or two of sweet raspberry tea during the day or two leading up to my period and it helped my PMS. Mom never has explained why?:confused:

I have a friend who swears by ginger root. She eats a small amount of ginger root a few days before she starts and it helps her with the cramps, bloating, etc which contribute to her PMS. Another swears pineapple does the trick!
I say try every trick and old wives tale out there and see if anything helps. Many laugh at the old wives tales but as my grandma used to say" they didn't get to be old wives by not knowing a thing or two".:D
 
I had a girlfriend that pmsed a week before her period. I hated those day!

hope u find something to help u :kiss:
 
I used to get REALLY moody for the week before... but I've totally changed my eating habits on a quest to lose weight, also started to take vitamins and I noticed the last couple of months, I was as chipper as ever right before my period... in fact I feel better all around!

I limit my starch intake to 2 servings a day, stay away from caffeine unless it's a "craving" or I'm really really tired and have to stay awake... The only sugar I eat comes from fruits... I get plenty of protein and limit my red meat intake to maybe once or twice a month... (red meat has iron in it. I eat it when my body tells me to, which could be right before my period, who knows? Never paid attention to that.) Most of the vegetables I eat are green or red, I LOVE raw spinach... And as for the fast food riot, well, when I do go get fast food, it's a salad or if I'm feeling REALLY needy for something "bad" for me, I'll get chicken strips and green beans...

I just take a multivitamin, and B6 and B12... and CoQ10 helps with energy levels and helps improve all your soft tissues as well.

The B vitamins are biggies for mood.

I hope you get some relief, feeling like that is a real drag!

Sometimes it just helps to have a cup of hot tea and let yourself be miserable for a little bit. Maybe set aside part of the day and allow yourself to be crummy feeling... we don't HAVE to be perfect all the time after all!
 
Mstrskey said:
*snip*

I also partake of Raspberry tea, hot, at least three mugs a day during this time of the month. I dunno the reasoning behind it, but when I was a young woman and I began to menstruate my mother would give me a mug or two of sweet raspberry tea during the day or two leading up to my period and it helped my PMS. Mom never has explained why?:confused:

I have a friend who swears by ginger root. She eats a small amount of ginger root a few days before she starts and it helps her with the cramps, bloating, etc which contribute to her PMS. *snip*
Raspberry is a diuretic (if i remember right) and an analgesic, so helps with the cramps and bloating.

Ginger actually works better in an infusion state. It's an antispasmodic plant, which basically means it settles down involuntary muscle spasms, like menstrual cramps.
 
Back
Top