story ideas that morph

mrsmillwood

Virgin
Joined
Jun 6, 2009
Posts
12
Hello fellow writers,
Oftentimes I find that I have what I think is a great idea for a story, but the more I think about it, the more the story morphs into something else. I want to write the original because I found it so pleasing, but the morphed version has its own merits.

I'm left with the dilemma of which story to write - the original story or the story which has morphed.

Has anyone else had to deal with this situation, and if so what did you do?
 
Has anyone else had to deal with this situation, and if so what did you do?
I'd let the morphing version run its own course, but keep the original on the backburner, to write another time.
 
Yep. I wrote both. One is posted here at Lit, the other is over at Smashwords. One is erotic, the other isn't.
 
I usually go with the morphed version (I never try to ignore it) and not think back about the original intended approach.
 
"If you don't know where you're going, you'll probably end up somewhere else."

We can create a setup and let it wander where it will. It may surprise us.
We can let stories morph, and write some or all of the versions.

We can visualize an ending and build the story to reach that desired goal.
We can have a definite chain of events in mind; just blog that journey.

We can take many approaches. Which are best? Depends on what we write.

If you don't want to be completely surprised, be mostly deterministic. Pick one of the standard plots and write it with customizations. Or create your setting and characters, define some definite plot points to hit, and let the players work out the details.

Morphing stories may be the most surprising, and the most fun. Or the most frustrating. The story may reach a branching point: which consequences do you WANT to occur? Gotta make up your own mind about that. Or write those damn multiple versions...
 
With me, it isn't always the plotline or the characters that morph a story. I write a lot of mysteries. I find that when I'm two-thirds into writing one and realize that the road map to "who/why" is getting too clear that I'm beginning to think "How can I twist this to surprise on the who and the why?" Then I look for the opportunity to morph the story myself.
 
do you find having no plan works better ... or just better for you?

I don't know. I don't start writing until/unless my muse has delivered an answer to the "where does this go?" question. That doesn't mean the story winds up going there, it's just that there has to be a semblance of a road map, a hook, and a "what's different about this than what I've already written" mix in my mind before I write it. Luckily, those tend to drop into my mind pretty well developed already.

This morning I got out of bed with the "what's the twist?" question answered on a story that I initially formed elements for maybe a couple of months ago and listed on my Writing Project Status at the time as "prostitute on mafia business cruise." I'll write that story today because I have a twist ending in mind to give it. (Also, connecting with another AH discussion under way, it's a "lady or the tiger" cliffhanging ending--which is just fine with me--and won't be fine with many who read it--which is also fine with me.)
 
I plot out a general direction I would like to take a story I am writing and leave some areas open to expand upon. Since I am always the first person to encounter the events taking place in the the stories I write, my mood has an affect on how I relate to and explain those events - thus most all the original stories I plot out tend to morph from their original story plots. I see nothing wrong with this type of writing style. The only way it would technically become an issue for me is if I was trying to write a true to life story. Then, morphing the story would mean I'm bringing elements of fictional fantasy into my stories. But, again, there is nothing wrong with that either.
 
Sure! But! It aint over till its over. The morphing is an important part of the creative process. It aint a problem till the concrete is poured.

At the moment I have a 40K tale on the drawing board, I luv it all but for the opening, which I played with for a full month, so far. Most days the opening moves forward a word or two at most. It aint like doing a system of equations for the meaning of life, but it needs to be right, and every word matters.

My sole Green E tale took 5 full years to get the ending right. Just a sentence or so, and the right end is simple, no rocket science.
 
Last edited:
All of my eleven real Green E stories were spun out in a matter of hours from conception to sending off to the editor. I didn't agonize over a single one of those real (not JBJ pretend) Green E stories. If I was spending a month writing and rewriting a story I'd know the whole concept was too belabored and I'd ditch it.
 
Last edited:
Rather than complaining that a story 'morphs', let us consider that our intentions evolve as we write. We may start a story intending it to go in a certain direction -- but then decide (sub)consciously to tell a different tale. We can try to evade responsibility. Blame the plot or players or voices in our heads. Hah! If I twist a tale, it's MY fault only. Mea fucking culpa.
 
Hello fellow writers,
Oftentimes I find that I have what I think is a great idea for a story, but the more I think about it, the more the story morphs into something else. I want to write the original because I found it so pleasing, but the morphed version has its own merits.

I'm left with the dilemma of which story to write - the original story or the story which has morphed.

Has anyone else had to deal with this situation, and if so what did you do?

I let the story run its course.
 
I tend to operate on the theory there are three ways a story can go.

One is the story you started out intending to write.

Another is the one you write with the changes the Muse convinces you to make while typing.

And finally, the one you end up with when one or more of the characters take over and drag you down a path you didn't even know existed.

Personally, I find the third one the most fun. :)

.
 
I experienced this with my most recent story, which should post in the next day or so (The Long, Broken Road). I had "milestones" that I wanted the characters to get to; however, it was very odd for me. As I tried to navigate to one scene from the next, the scenes evolved from what was in my head. As I was telling a friend during the writing process, I wasn't sure if the story was ever going to end or reach the "climax" in my mind. The characters "took control" of their own lives. And I found it rather funny that the "end scene" in my mind lost some of the punch that I originally intended.

In the end, I had to make sure that the characters went through some kind of growth, realization, or sense of change. Because really, the overall story tells the message that I wanted. Just that some of the fireworks I had were duds, and required different fireworks.

Anyway, that is my $.02
 
He wrote both ... and before him, someone else wrote both and before them, someone else and somewhere in china, some 4' man wrote it on a cave wall .... or woman.


I wrote both ... fucking moron.

Wow! What the fuck crawled up your ass and bit your undescended testicles.

Speaking of morons...wait they can only call other people names.
 
Back
Top