I got a laugh out of this..

"Now he's being hunted by a serial killer from the moon! HA HA HA HA SUCK A DICK DAVE!"

I nearly died.

Charming. Utterly.

This article's a hoot! I can especially relate to #'s 4, 12, 15 & 18. :D

Snivel, bliff, fleekum, hork, indeed. ;)

Number twelve speaks to me. Nattering little buggers, these characters of ours.

Yeah, that us in a nut shell. :D

But shouldn't it be as crazy as a shit-house mouse?

I think my next novel will be a do it yourself kit. three million words, build your own fucking story. That should drive a few readers crazy. :)

Yeah, that us in a nut shell. :D

But shouldn't it be as crazy as a shit-house mouse?

I think my next novel will be a do it yourself kit. three million words, build your own fucking story. That should drive a few readers crazy. :)

Perhaps then they will realize that these wonderful tales we weave simply don't fall out of our asses. It's difficult to write and even more so to please the audience.

Perhaps then they will realize that these wonderful tales we weave simply don't fall out of our asses. It's difficult to write and even more so to please the audience.

Writing is not hard. It's easy to toss out three or four thousand words in five or six hours. Making them make sense, now that's hard. There are so many possible combinations of the same exact words.

Pleasing readers? Why? If i write it and they read it, end of story. If I like it and they don't. That is their problem. :D

ETA:
I'm joking about the readers. Well, sort of. Without readers, writers would be even crazier.

Last edited:
Writing is not hard. It's easy to toss out three or four thousand words in five or six hours. Making them make sense, now that's hard. There are so many possible combinations of the same exact words.

Pleasing readers? Why? If i write it and they read it, end of story. If I like it and they don't. That is their problem. :D

Fine. :p Writing well is difficult. And, if it isn't for you, you're very lucky. I, on the other hand, struggle. It takes me ages to be satisfied with a piece before posting it. After it is, I still go back and shudder at some of the errors I'll find.

I've always written. Ever since I was little. Even back then it gave me a thrill when someone else liked what I wrote. So, yeah, I mainly write for me... But I also write for others. It makes me happy if someone else enjoys what I've created.

Fine. :p Writing well is difficult. And, if it isn't for you, you're very lucky. I, on the other hand, struggle. It takes me ages to be satisfied with a piece before posting it. After it is, I still go back and shudder at some of the errors I'll find.

I've always written. Ever since I was little. Even back then it gave me a thrill when someone else liked what I wrote. So, yeah, I mainly write for me... But I also write for others. It makes me happy if someone else enjoys what I've created.

You are lucky. I was in my late 40's by the time I gave it a try. I always wanted to but never took the time. The first story I wrote started out as a short about something that hand happened ten years before. 287 pages later, I had a novel. One day I need to clean it up and post it here but right now it sucks big time. Not the story but the uneducated idiot that wrote it. Short choppy sentences that look like they went through a paper shredder.

On Lit i write for me and hope others like it. It is my outlet. My main writing is now mainstream and I have to make the readers like that because they pay money.

As Charles Stross' profile puts it: "I tell lies for money; I abuse imaginary friends." But although I feel bad sometimes about what I do to fictional characters, the really messed-up part about writing is in the relationship with readers.

I'm trying to reach into a real person's head and control their thoughts long-distance. Sometimes that process is overt and benign: here's a warm, loving sex scene that you can enjoy.

And then sometimes I'm deliberately setting up expectations so that readers think they know how it's going to play out... because two or three chapters down the road I'm going to do my level best to punch them in the gut from a direction they weren't expecting. Sometimes I'm trying to make people cry, people who I've never met and who have only ever been nice to me.

And if I do a good enough job of that, they'll come back for more. It's like a socially-acceptable form of Stockholm Syndrome.

I think number 10 would fit me well. I was overloaded on caffeine before I started writing, now I all but hum.

Those who can write, write. Those who cannot write make lists.

I say this because:

1. List making is formulaic to the extreme and runs counter to the creative process.

2. Lists generally lack characters, setting, plot, dialog and continuity. In short, they lack everything that makes a writer a writer.

3. As a former list maker myself, I can say with some authority that list makers are fucking bug nuts.

Back