Love on the High Seas

"Yes, officially", he said with a chuckle.

Her smile just lit up her face, making her beauty all the more impressive. He could look at it all day. He decided he had to keep her around.

"So, what now? Spot of lunch? Another activity? I heard they offer 'rock climbing at the end of the ship, despite the lack of rocks on board".

He wished he knew more about her, that way he could suggest an activity that was bound to keep her around.
 
"Hey now, if I'm going to embarrass myself, I'm gonna need some company this time!"

They made their way to the back of the ship, and quickly found the climbing wall. They were met by another beaming member of staff, who gave them a rundown of the safety instructions. Adrian got suited up and tied in.

"You sure you don't want to join me?"

A small shake of her head and he shot off up the wall. Within minutes, he was half way up the wall. He loved the rush of hanging by a rope. He felt safe as he couldn't fall that far.
 
He stopped half way up to take in the view across the ocean. He could see nothing blue sky and shimmering ocean. He smiled. He felt free. One quick look down at Maxine, who had her eyes trained on him. Smiling again to himself, he continued his ascent. In no time at all, he was at the top. He abseiled his way down, landing right beside Maxine.

I have to say, I'm definitely impressed.

He didn't want to show it, but that just made his day.

In recognition of which, why don't I buy you lunch?

Had he heard her right? But not wanting to pass up such an opportunity,

"Well, how can I say no to that", he said, still beaming.

This girl seemed to be opening up to him, and he was eager to learn more about her.

"So where to?"
 
Adrian thought back to the brochure he had briefly read on his way to the ship in a taxi the day before. He remember reading about an Italian place a few decks down.

"How about Italian? Apparently there's a small place on Deck 5."

He gave her the final decision. After all, she was treating him. But he honestly didn't care where they went. He just wanted to spend more time with this fascinating, beautiful girl.
 
Adrian shook his head.

"Believe it or not, this is the first time I have left the continental United States."

He didn't want to divulge that he had come from a poor background, and had to work for everything he had today. He wasn't telling her that, not yet anyway.

"I don't know, I guess I just haven't had the opportunity to do so until now".

This was the truth, but it just didn't tell the full story.

"How about you, what's the furthest you have travelled to?"
 
That last sentence intrigued Adrian.

"What would you like to be doing other enjoying the freedom and relaxation this cruise has to offer?", he said with a small smile.

They arrived at the restaurant, and were met at the door by a maitre'd. They were seated by a bay window, which offered fantastic views out to sea. They took the offered menus and started browsing.

He hoped she would answer his question, but wouldn't push if she didn't. He sensed there was something deeper under it.
 
Adrian scanned the menu, seeing a number of delicious possiblities.

"So what do you fancy?"

A few minutes later, the waiter reappeared.

Are we ready?

"Yes, I will have the bruschetta and shrimp ravioli. And a bottle of Prosecco", he said, smiling at Maxine.
 
Adrian scanned the room, noticing mostly couples. At least himself and Maxine didn't look out of place. It was a great place, nodding at her comment.

He then turned his attention to the beautiful woman in front of him, trying not to stare.

"So where's home for you?", he asked innocently, not knowing the pain it would bring the beauty sitting across from him.
 
Adrian frowned,

"I'm sorry to hear that."

He paused before going any further. He didn't want to intrude, but was still curious.

"May I ask what's troubling you? You don't have to ask", he said with a smile.
 
Adrian's heart broken for the beautiful woman across from him. It brought new meaning to the phrase "don't judge a book by its cover". Underneath the flawless exterior lay a troubled mind.

"I'm really sorry to hear that".

Hearing her story brought back his painful memories, which he had buried for over a year. It was why he had not taken a holiday in so long. Listening to her brought them to the surface, but he didn't let it show. But perhaps he should share too.

"I know the pain of losing a loved one. I lost my father to cancer just over a year ago."

He wanted to go on about his experience, but felt he couldn't. Instead, he offered some personal advice,

"I know you don't believe it right now, but the pain will pass. Just don't try and ignore it. I learned that the hard way".
 
Adrian smiled,

"Well now that we know we are two fellow sufferers, why don't we stick together? Misery loves company after all".

He was taking a chance, but he couldn't let this girl go without trying out his charm, or what he thought was charm.

"We stop at our first port tomorrow. How about an adventure to the mainland and see what cultural delights we can find, what do you say?", he said with a smile.
 
Back
Top