The Cool Science Stuff Thread

Also, Twitter is the greatest thing ever invented for science geeks.
 
580617_527452553942427_527032149_n.jpg
 
The Voyager crafts are nearly to the edge of the solar system (the Heliotrope) and have found some very interesting things.

Just the fact those two mechanisms have survived this long, gone that far, and are still transmitting data is unbelievably cool.
 

Wow! Rather interesting.

No matter the real cause I'm redoubling my efforts to have a smaller carbon shoe size.

And that leads to more questions. What is the quickest way to sequester carbon? Iron fertilization? Though the jury is still out on if the Haida's massive experiment off the west coast of Haida Gwaii did any good. Or made that part of the ocean hypoxic.
 
A new colony of 9,000 penguins has been discovered in eastern Antarctica after their massive trail of poo was viewed from space.

Poo trails
 
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-21468116

_65904826_65902211.jpg


ETA:

The meteor that hit the Ural mountains in central Russia today (February 15) had such an impact it was registered on U.S. Geological Survey (USGS)' seismometers. The meteor created a huge fireball as it tore through the atmosphere at an estimated 54,000 km/h.

The first seismometer is located near Kurchatov, Kazakhstan; the second in Borovoye, Kazakhstan; and the third is part of the ZAA0 array (Zalesovo), located in the Altayskiy Kray region of Russia.

At least 950 people have been injured, as the shockwave blew out windows and rocked buildings. Most of those hurt were in the Chelyabinsk region where the meteor fell.

There are videos of the meteor here: http://slate.me/X8Ogu7
 
Last edited:
Back
Top