Total Trivia

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaia_Lorraine

I Love Shoes
Joined
Dec 8, 2004
Posts
13,186
BORing facts

Ever come across a useful fact that absolutely no one is interested in but yourself? Then get it off your chest and share it...
 
The Battle of Bicocca, sometimes known as the Battle of La Bicocca, was fought on April 27, 1522, during the Italian War of 1521–26.
 
Did you know that 95% of UK homes own a microwave oven while in Italy (lovers of food) it's only 3%
 
If ever in doubt about that large black fish swimming towards you while bathing in the sea then remember this fact...

All sea mammals, without exception, swim by bending their bodies up and down; while all fish, without exception, do so by flexing their bodies from side to side. It may not be a shark :)
 
The word "Suanter" stems from the monks who strolled around the cloister of the sacred ground of the monastery "Saint Terre"
 
In one single day more iron ore is mined than all the gold in the history of mankind.
 
The current president's father, George H.W. Bush was related to several previous presidents:
fifth cousin four times removed of Franklin Pierce, seventh cousin three times removed of Theodore Roosevelt, seventh cousin four times removed of Abraham Lincoln, eleventh cousin once removed of Gerald Ford
 
Current NFL player D'Brickashaw Ferguson is named for father Ralph de Bricassart, a character in the book and miniseries "The Thorn Birds".
 
Television...

tele (Greek) meaning far off (vision)
and Latin visi meaning vision

In other words television is a combo of two languages that simply means "vision vision" at a distance :)
 
If a fly lands on the side rail of an average ocean liner, the ship will list half the diameter of an hydrogen atom.

;)
 
A lump of pure gold the size of a matchbox can be flattened into a sheet the size of a tennis court.

Thougt I would share. :) :kiss: :rose:
 
The Greek myth of Aphrodite and Adonis is actually quite ancient, possibly stemming from the early Mesopotamian era. Some scholars think that it may be one of the oldest surviving Levantin/Mediterranean myths...
 
Speaking of gold trivialities...

All of the gold that has ever been mined would fit into a forty foot cube.
 
fire_breeze said:
The Greek myth of Aphrodite and Adonis is actually quite ancient, possibly stemming from the early Mesopotamian era. Some scholars think that it may be one of the oldest surviving Levantin/Mediterranean myths...

Along with the Gilgamesh Epic, an ancient Sumerian document which presaged many Old Testament myths and events. It was the first written example of Noah's flood, for example.
 
Another weird one...

Hungarian, Finnish, Estonian and the Samoyedic languages are all related and belong to the Finno-Ugric language group. They are completely unlike Indo-European languages, which includes Germanic (English, German), Romance (French, Italian, Latin), Gaelic, Greek and Slavic, among others.
 
Last edited:
braincum said:
Along with the Gilgamesh Epic, an ancient Sumerian document which presaged many Old Testament myths and events. It was the first written example of Noah's flood, for example.
The story of the Great Flood found in the Hebrew Bible is a common myth found throughout the world...
 
This coming Thursday (6th Dec 2007) the Space Shuttle is due to be launched from Cape Canaveral. There is a contingency plan in place should anything go wrong before it reaches space whereby a 2 mile long military runway in Gloucestershire, England, will allow it to touch down.

The last time I flew to Florida the flight took 11 hours. The Space Shuttle will achieve it in a mere 20 mins, Even 12 mins before landing it will be doing 8,300 mph. Amazing!
 
Due to the Holy Communion and the influence of the Catholic church within the Senate the production of wine was never outlawed during the Prohibition
 
Minks have intercourse that lasts an average of eight hours.

The chimpanzee holds the record for the quickest mammal sexual intercourse session at an average of three seconds.
 
In 1995, Balamurali Ambati graduated from Mount Sinai School of Medicine, thus becoming a doctor. So what? He was only 17!
 
How long has mankind been producing wine?
New discoveries show how Neolithic man was busy making red wine in Shulaveri (Georgia, the former Soviet republic). Although no liquid wine from the period has survived, scientists have now found and tested wine residues discovered on the inner surfaces of 8,000-year-old ceramic storage jars.


Cheers!
1135989742_941en.gif
 
The overall content of seawater has not changed markably over the last 100 million years.
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top