Stats on ratings and comments

Giron

Experienced
Hi!

As a new writer I'm kind of addicted to check how the stats for my stories are progressing.

But it also raises a few questions.

For the moment I have less then 1 procent of readers that actually rated it. I see that as a very small numbers for such an easy thing to do after reading.

I can understand that commenting, 1 in every 2500, is kind of a hassle but voting is just a click.

I understand that the "views" probably is a very dodgy number but are these stats 'universal' for the whole of Literotica?

Hi!

As a new writer I'm kind of addicted to check how the stats for my stories are progressing.

For the moment I have less then 1 procent of readers that actually rated it. I see that as a very small numbers for such an easy thing to do after reading.

I can understand that commenting, 1 in every 2500, is kind of a hassle but voting is just a click.

I understand that the "views" probably is a very dodgy number but are these stats 'universal' for the whole of Literotica?

A quick look at my stats shows that for the most part, between 2-4 percent of my readers rate the story. Of course, some number of those readers didn't finish, or just skimmed the story looking for interracial incest or something.

some other things.

1. it also depends on catagory. some vote more than others.

2. if you leave a note at the end saying 'please vote' or something, you'll likely see more votes

Hi!

I quickly checked with my stories. I found a direct correlation between views and voting percentages. But as this is based only on my two stories (5 and 8 chapters) it is by no means representative.

- The more views a story has, the lower the percentage of voters. This could, at least partially, be caused by people reading the same story/chapter multiple times but only being allowed to vote once as I also found that chapters which have been favourited a lot tend to have lower ratios.

- Shorter stories/chapters seem to get more votes but also more complaints about being too short.

Both stories are posted in Romance and the chapters have between 3.1% and 6.1% 'voting ratio'.

Last edited:
For my stories as a whole, the view to vote ratio is about 80:1. It varies from story to story; my stories' view to vote ratios range from 46:1 to 181:1. It seems to vary somewhat based on category, and as Kojak pointed out, the length of the story is a factor as well.

A "view" just means someone clicked on the story; it doesn't mean someone read it. I read well under half the stories I view; I imagine others have similar viewing/reading habits.

Over time, the ratio will get even higher, because people may re-view the story but cannot vote on it again.

My story file (which ranges across a few categories) averages 1 vote per 100 views. Some categories see higher view counts but lower scores (eg: incest - but my stories were sibcest, not mom/son, so not so popular). I've got a few surprise runaway successes where the vote ratio improves to 1:80.

From previous AH threads on this topic,1:100 votes/ view is pretty typical, comments per view much lower, typically 1:10,000. I measure my 'runaway successes' by a higher ratio of comments per view. In my case, writing outside the box does a lot better.

Denny

I joined mostly to just add scribbled notes turned into stories. Once I got started I tried to add as many as possible in a short time.
Not exactly the correct thing to do. Something about quantity over quality.
Then my wife played around and I helped her write some stories. The numbers went up quickly. Then I got ill. Then we moved and had no time to write. After that I got a new tower and had no way to view my stories or notes.
It's been over a year since we've added a story. One of us spends more time on the forums than reading stories. I have no idea whether anyone reads or rates what I've posted. But for the most part, I get more PM story comments than on the stories themselves.
We did our part. We wrote true stories which most don't care for, because they are not fiction. I tried loving wives but those readers love no one.
Ratings mean nothing to me but even those nasty anonomous comments helped make us try harder.

Back