What are the smuttiest, most erotic non-"romance" books you've read?

I didn't bother going through 7 pages, but I am quite partial to Diana Gabaldon's Outlander series... all the books are wonderful and have lots of steamy sex scenes of many different kinds! They are wonderful historical novels (sizeable too), and you won't regret reading them.

The outlander series is fantastic, the sex is kind of hot, great plotting and her historical background also makes them great. The only problem with her is that she is writing several books at once and therefore you have to wait forever for the next books!

I also am fond of Kirsten Ashley (I liked her Burg books, and sweet Dreams is fantastic), I also love the Patricia briggs Mercy Thompson books.

There have been a ton of threads about 50 shades of gray over on the bd.sm board, and just as polarized as the general discussion has been. The BD/SM folks don't like it because they (correctly) point out that what is in the book is not BD/SM per se, for a number of reasons, though the author is careful with the ethics of what the main character does, and they also worry that the main character (Christian Gray) is fucked up and therefore makes it seem like all BD/SM people are fucked up (though the psychiatrist in the book treating him makes clear that BD/SM is not fucked up, he is). Others don't like it because they think the main character is a clueless twit, it is too far out there, too unbelievable......you name it.

Okay, so what do I think? I read them, and I thought it was an okay yarn, it wasn't great literature (but then again, I don't read Don Delilo or one of the Barthe brothers whom English majors love and literary critics, when I want to read for pleasure and I find Wuthering Heights to be drivel), but it had its own charms to it. I think to someone who hasn't played around with kinky sex it probably is pretty hot, unlike many of the critics I ended up liking the characters and finding something in them (I love the comments that say "Ana is graduating college and she is a virgin? What planet did she grow up in..Christian is 28 years old and he is a billionaire, no way" or better yet "Ana goes with a guy who is into abuse like that.EEWWW" or "Ana is so weak" when she ends up changing Christian). It was a good read, not heavy duty, and in the end I didn't regret reading it.

The book has a simple message that I think people overlook in their fighting the political and philosophical wars, or frustrated writers jealous as hell, it is very much a book in the old vein about love winning (which last I checked is common in most romance novels,more adult or Harlequin bodice ripper of the 70's), Ana ends up being a lot more strong then she ever realized and she ends up helping Christian see the truths about himself........is it real? No, in many ways someone as screwed up as Christian isn't going to be 'fixed' by the right person IRL, but goess what, this is fiction. If women who read the romance books I have read held out for men in these stories or if they read that, compare their husbands to it, they would end up alone because they are fantasy novels, the tough biker guy with the heart of gold who is 40 years old and can get hard 6 times a night and has a PHd in history is a very rare phenomena, indeed *lol*.....I think if you go into it without expectations, of all the hype, you will prob find you like it and may find some parts of it hot.

I think the book struck a chord for a reason, the book sold several hundred thousand copies long before the hype machine hit, all by word of mouth, and I think it was because it spoke to them, for whatever reasons, through characters they liked and could kind of see themselves in, and opened them up. We can talk about hype all we want, but talk to Home Depot and Sex Stores about the women, many of them married and in their 30's and older, coming in trying things, and it isn't small fish. Hopefully it will open women up to reading more books in the 'adult romance' genre, many of them are more real about sex and hopefully it will finally start getting rid of the childish shit that religion especially put around sex and especially female sexuality (I will also add there are some hot gay romance novels out there, which are big among the same crowd of women, go figure:).

My two cents on this subject: The Illuminatus! Trilogy by Robert Shea and Robert Anton Wilson; blow jobs on the beach, sex with giant Golden Apples, Satanic sex initiation rituals, telepathic/acid head sex, etc., etc. Well worth the read, and really at least one good story; there's a lot of layers, so the story may vary depending on reader perspective...

Written by two acid head ex-Playboy editors.

How about the 'Memoirs of Fanny Hill' written by John Cleland published in 1749. Actually I found it kind of funny. Same old same old big cock kind of s**t, before I read that I thought the big cock thing was only a modern day obsession of men. Was I sadly mistaken.

There have been a ton of threads about 50 shades of gray over on the bd.sm board, and just as polarized as the general discussion has been. The BD/SM folks don't like it because they (correctly) point out that what is in the book is not BD/SM per se, for a number of reasons, though the author is careful with the ethics of what the main character does, and they also worry that the main character (Christian Gray) is fucked up and therefore makes it seem like all BD/SM people are fucked up (though the psychiatrist in the book treating him makes clear that BD/SM is not fucked up, he is). Others don't like it because they think the main character is a clueless twit, it is too far out there, too unbelievable......you name it.

Okay, so what do I think? I read them, and I thought it was an okay yarn, it wasn't great literature (but then again, I don't read Don Delilo or one of the Barthe brothers whom English majors love and literary critics, when I want to read for pleasure and I find Wuthering Heights to be drivel), but it had its own charms to it. I think to someone who hasn't played around with kinky sex it probably is pretty hot, unlike many of the critics I ended up liking the characters and finding something in them (I love the comments that say "Ana is graduating college and she is a virgin? What planet did she grow up in..Christian is 28 years old and he is a billionaire, no way" or better yet "Ana goes with a guy who is into abuse like that.EEWWW" or "Ana is so weak" when she ends up changing Christian). It was a good read, not heavy duty, and in the end I didn't regret reading it.

The book has a simple message that I think people overlook in their fighting the political and philosophical wars, or frustrated writers jealous as hell, it is very much a book in the old vein about love winning (which last I checked is common in most romance novels,more adult or Harlequin bodice ripper of the 70's), Ana ends up being a lot more strong then she ever realized and she ends up helping Christian see the truths about himself........is it real? No, in many ways someone as screwed up as Christian isn't going to be 'fixed' by the right person IRL, but goess what, this is fiction. If women who read the romance books I have read held out for men in these stories or if they read that, compare their husbands to it, they would end up alone because they are fantasy novels, the tough biker guy with the heart of gold who is 40 years old and can get hard 6 times a night and has a PHd in history is a very rare phenomena, indeed *lol*.....I think if you go into it without expectations, of all the hype, you will prob find you like it and may find some parts of it hot.

I think the book struck a chord for a reason, the book sold several hundred thousand copies long before the hype machine hit, all by word of mouth, and I think it was because it spoke to them, for whatever reasons, through characters they liked and could kind of see themselves in, and opened them up. We can talk about hype all we want, but talk to Home Depot and Sex Stores about the women, many of them married and in their 30's and older, coming in trying things, and it isn't small fish. Hopefully it will open women up to reading more books in the 'adult romance' genre, many of them are more real about sex and hopefully it will finally start getting rid of the childish shit that religion especially put around sex and especially female sexuality (I will also add there are some hot gay romance novels out there, which are big among the same crowd of women, go figure:).
I like the idea of a sexual awakening for the masses but I really dont think yet another medium that expresses consent this way is needed. It glamorises an abusive relationship...can anyone say twilight?

The thing is, our culture is so saturated with bad messages about sex that people don't see the abuse in the book. Did you know that in a study done very recently, respondents could not tell the difference between statements made by convicted rapists and the statements commonly made in lads mags and tabloids.

If we have a sexual revolution I'd prefer it to be the consent revolution and then we can all have a proper discussion on kinks

---

The story of M is a much better book on BDSM that the author of 50 shades should have read during her google bdsm research.

Love this thread! I've added so many books to my "to read" list!

My two cents: I love Louisa Burton. Certainly not the most well-written, but "House of Dark Delights" never fails to get me. Given, it's more fantasy than sci-fi, and is basically an erotic anthology, but all the stories are woven together and it makes sense as a book, not just smut.

smuttiest books

Its not a smutty book but if you are worried about be 'caught' you can read a kindle and no one will know what you reading

Waht a fasciinating and informative thread

Being new to this one and having not gotten that far, I hope you'll forgive me if I'm repetitive. I do second the Lady Chatterly reference as well as for The Fermata. Since Nicholson Baker also wrote VOX of Clinton/Lewinsky fame, that should be included. Henry Miller's Tropics should be included too. (Damnit, I've forgotten the several others that I wanted to mention. I shall return.)

9 1/2 Weeks tho in truth it is a love story even a romance in its own way (not that I know what a romance story is).

I was mildly surprised by Ken Follet. I read Pillars of the Earth and its sequel World without end. If you like historically correct fiction, you will be rewarded with 1300's sex!

Should be available in used bookstores or Amazon, etc. A good (large) library should have it. If you're going for it, get Vox if you haven't already read it.

Fermata is hotter than Vox. There is one scene in The Fermata that I stumbled over years ago that may be the most arousing thing I ever read.

Fermata is hotter than Vox. There is one scene in The Fermata that I stumbled over years ago that may be the most arousing thing I ever read.

You won't get argument from me. Vox is kinda light and frothy as I recall. I don't remember a scene such as you describe in Fermata, but many were arousing. One I vaguely recall (was this publishd in the '80s?) was thru a door or an open door of adjoining hotel rooms...(I used that to describe a situation somewhat similar in PennsylTucky).

Perhaps you could describe the most arousing scene you've ever read...maybe...please...

Very dirty, but not the good kind of dirty. The lice and petstilence kind of dirty.

'Course but that was generally the case into the early 20th century. Or not, one of my favorite epistles was Napolean to Josephine: Will arrive in (a week? two?). Don't wash.

So whaddaya suppose the 1300s folks did to amuse themselves and sustain the population especially considering all them wars?

Back